These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP picked the wrong console.

Author
Ai Shun
#81 - 2012-04-03 02:44:58 UTC
Black Dranzer wrote:
Should've been a PC shooter. Why, CCP? Why didn't you make it a PC shooter? It would've been so ******* good. I would have bought it. I would have played it. But no, ****** console FPS, so I can't.

As was said earlier:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote:

RPS: People have been surprised about DUST 514, and its being a PS3 exclusive.

Torfi Frans: Eve players have known about it for quite a while, so they weren’t that surprised, although they didn’t know it was a PS3 exclusive. Among our hardcore community there was some rumbling, of course. “Why can’t I play it on my PC?” But you already have EVE on the PC, and what we’re trying to do is introduce the world of EVE to a larger audience. And we felt that by being on console that would open up the world to a much wider audience. And as a corporate policy we wanted to learn how to make games for a console.

RPS: But at the same time, obviously it is opening up to a wider audience, but also you’re closing it off to your core audience.

Thomas Farrer: Well, we don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base. The thing with the world of EVE Online is that it interests an awful lot of people. It’s a fascinating world. We wanted to make that accessible to a wider audience, to invite new people in.

From an interview last year.
Black Dranzer
#82 - 2012-04-03 02:49:32 UTC
The "why" was somewhat rhetorical - I know their reasons, I just don't agree with them or approve of them.
Ashera Yune
Doomheim
#83 - 2012-04-03 03:35:35 UTC
I predict the PS3 will become just like the PS2, it will still be popular and still have games coming out for it for quite a while.

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth."

Kahlil Gibran

Enkryption
Intergalactic Pool Boys
#84 - 2012-04-03 03:36:00 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Black Dranzer wrote:
Should've been a PC shooter. Why, CCP? Why didn't you make it a PC shooter? It would've been so ******* good. I would have bought it. I would have played it. But no, ****** console FPS, so I can't.

As was said earlier:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote:

RPS: People have been surprised about DUST 514, and its being a PS3 exclusive.

Torfi Frans: Eve players have known about it for quite a while, so they weren’t that surprised, although they didn’t know it was a PS3 exclusive. Among our hardcore community there was some rumbling, of course. “Why can’t I play it on my PC?” But you already have EVE on the PC, and what we’re trying to do is introduce the world of EVE to a larger audience. And we felt that by being on console that would open up the world to a much wider audience. And as a corporate policy we wanted to learn how to make games for a console.

RPS: But at the same time, obviously it is opening up to a wider audience, but also you’re closing it off to your core audience.

Thomas Farrer: Well, we don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base. The thing with the world of EVE Online is that it interests an awful lot of people. It’s a fascinating world. We wanted to make that accessible to a wider audience, to invite new people in.

From an interview last year.

Yah, what a contradiction filled interview.

Ai Shun
#85 - 2012-04-03 03:45:24 UTC
Enkryption wrote:
Yah, what a contradiction filled interview.

/pat

Yes, dear.
Marcus Caspius
#86 - 2012-04-03 03:46:04 UTC
[quote=Xercodo]So who were they gonna go with? Nintendo?

Oh, here's an idea - #@$%@# consoles! Release to PC... [poof] and all the BS invovled with consoles are gone! Twisted

Mankind invented the mouse in the 70's... its proven to be way more efficient.

Grammatical error and spelling mistakes are included for your entertainment!

Dagwood Steele
Kings 0f XXX
#87 - 2012-04-03 04:00:50 UTC
Marcus Caspius wrote:

'63 actually.
Renturu
In Glorium et Decorum
#88 - 2012-04-03 04:28:12 UTC
Not directly related... But some interesting news on the new console design down the road.

New PS and XBox Design

By the orders of PlunderBunny: ☻/ /▌ / \ This is Bob, post him into your forum sig and help him conquer the forums.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#89 - 2012-04-03 04:38:21 UTC
Microsoft has always been what Sony is becoming. Sony used to be great, but I guess they finally realized they can stoop to Microsoft's level without losing customers. After all, there was literally zero competition against it.

So what might have made sense would have been to put DUST-514 on a new Nintendo platform, however this would require Nintendo to come out with a high-graphics and physics performance console. Heck, maybe that's a good idea. The Wii II, it could use advanced computer technology to put 2007+ graphics into a game with a Wii control system. Then actually make some truly good games on it, you know like adventures and role-playing games, action games, games with a long story or lots of multiplayer options. Perhaps one of the biggest failures of the Wii is that there aren't any games you can play on it for more than about 20 hours before you finish the game and have replayed it so many times you're tired of it.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Raneru
Contemplate
#90 - 2012-04-03 12:40:30 UTC
Black Dranzer wrote:

Interestingly, Sonys own Planetside 2 is coming out on PC (its out on Ps3 as well I hear but PC should be its primary market).
Jaryd Le'line
#91 - 2012-04-03 13:01:04 UTC
Should've made it a PC game (shooters with gamepad = lol) and should've self published instead of going through any of the "established" houses of mediocrity (MS, Sony, EA, ...).

CCP didn't pick the wrong console. They picked wrong: console.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#92 - 2012-04-03 13:38:06 UTC
Marcus Caspius wrote:
[quote=Xercodo]So who were they gonna go with? Nintendo?

Oh, here's an idea - #@$%@# consoles! Release to PC... [poof] and all the BS invovled with consoles are gone! Twisted

You're aware that CCP have explicitly confirmed that the DUST client on the PS3 will support keyboard & mouse, right?

I'm told that you can plug a generic $10 USB KBM combo into a PS3; it doesn't require special hilariously overpriced SonyWare™ equipment or anything.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Kai Tel
State War Academy
Caldari State
#93 - 2012-04-03 13:40:06 UTC
Yeah OP, they should have made Duat514 for the WII. Game is tailor made for the wii-mote.
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#94 - 2012-04-03 13:48:55 UTC
People have already given the reason, Microsoft was far more restrictive than Sony. That said, both suck, just for different reasons. In the end Sony was willing to work with CCP, MS wasn't.

Personally, I won't be playing it unless I get handed a PS3 (I won't spend 100+ on a system for one game), or it gets ported to PC. That's the one I'm really confused about, why won't they port it to PC? But oh well... maybe (hopefully) in the future.
Thabiso
Merchants of the Golden Goose
#95 - 2012-04-03 14:00:33 UTC
Proton Satria wrote:
dont like the console its on? dont play it.

Got an xbox? if it came out on your console the graphics and gameplay would be half of what it is on ps3 as ps3 is a superior machine (dont rage at me because lets face it...it is)

Got a wii? hahahahaha

Got a pc? Go play planetside 2, its the same type of game

Got all of the above but no ps3? im sure you could sell them all and have enough for a ps3

Got a ps3? here, has a cookie on me.

What have i got? i got an xbox and a pc? what am i going to do about dust? borrow a friends ps3 and see if dust is any good. If its not then i will go back to my pc and play planetside 2 cos it will remind me of the good old days.

Please dispence cookie!
QU0RRA
Isomorphic Algorithms
#96 - 2012-04-03 14:01:38 UTC
Jaryd Le'line wrote:
Should've made it a PC game (shooters with gamepad = lol) and should've self published instead of going through any of the "established" houses of mediocrity (MS, Sony, EA, ...).

CCP didn't pick the wrong console. They picked wrong: console.

Yeah, because you cant hook up a keyboard and mouse to the PS3... CoughEagleeyeCough...
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#97 - 2012-04-03 14:07:23 UTC
Boy you do like your Xbox I guess. I also own an Xbox its in a closet somewhere.

Pitty you won't be joining me in dust matches on the PS3, thats connected to my amp and HD TV.

Bye bye.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Rek Seven
The Persuaders
#98 - 2012-04-03 14:13:06 UTC
Enkryption wrote:
Wrong console, wrong company.

Sony - one of the most vile, despicable companies on this planet has been literally bending their customers over every single chance they get for the quite awhile now. Look at the PS3. They removed the backwards compatibility for one reason, so they could "remake" older games and resell them for more money.

Now, look at the rumors for the PS4. Absolutely no backwards compatibility. It looks like they are trying to completely destroy the reselling of games because games now require you to log in to PSN. If you resell, the person that buys the game will not have complete access to the game because the key is locked to the original owner's PSN.

Imagine if this worked with cars. You buy a used car but since you aren't the original owner the brakes won't work, ever. Have fun!

How does this bode with Dust514? When CCP ports it to PS4 will they continue support for the PS3 version or are we all going to get screwed once again?

How could you partner with such a reprehensible company CCP?

Yeah Sony have really screwed their customers over by providing them with free online play and a reliable system.

If there is one company that has a history of supporting old consoles after they released a new one, it's Sony. It cost time and money to make your console backwards compatible and not that many people care anyway. Stop playing Halo and read a book once i a while.
Apollo-Moor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2012-04-03 14:19:05 UTC
Enkryption wrote:
Twulf wrote:
Enkryption wrote:
Wrong console, wrong company.

Sony - one of the most vile, despicable companies on this planet has been literally bending their customers over every single chance they get for the quite awhile now. Look at the PS3. They removed the backwards compatibility for one reason, so they could "remake" older games and resell them for more money.

Now, look at the rumors for the PS4. Absolutely no backwards compatibility. It looks like they are trying to completely destroy the reselling of games because games now require you to log in to PSN. If you resell, the person that buys the game will not have complete access to the game because the key is locked to the original owner's PSN.

Imagine if this worked with cars. You buy a used car but since you aren't the original owner the brakes won't work, ever. Have fun!

How does this bode with Dust514? When CCP ports it to PS4 will they continue support for the PS3 version or are we all going to get screwed once again?

How could you partner with such a reprehensible company CCP?

You sir are an idiot. please wake up and join reality before you post this nonsense.

It is common knowledge in the gaming world EA, Microsoft and Sony want to kill the used video game market, this market does not generate any cash for them and they are greedy bastards. This is common knowledge to those that watch the Video game market.
This is not a SONY only thing, this is across the board. The used game market takes profits out of their pockets is what the Higher ups at EA, Microsoft and SONY think.

The next Xbox will not have backwards compatibility either.

Justt like PS2, they will support PS3 for another year or so depending how PS4 sells.

Is it me or does this OP seem to be screaming. "I have an Xbox360 and mommy and daddy told me NO when I asked them to buy me a PS3 for Dust"

I don't own an xbox I own a ps3 and it's the last PoS I will ever buy from Sony.

PS3 is not POS stop it.. LoL

That's thing blows XBox360 out of the water and will probably have as much power as the next XBox release. Sony knows how to make consoles.

10 year shelf lives on all threee versions on the Playstation..

Don't hate just to hate.. its unbecomming..
David Grogan
NerdHerd
#100 - 2012-04-03 14:20:50 UTC
both Xbox 720 and PS4 (Orbis) wont allow the use of games resold so either way the OP's arguement is null & void.

Dust514 should really have been a PC title, as it is the only system that is not restricted in anyway similar to the way consoles are.

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.