These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

I never thought I'd say this.....

Author
Rico Minali
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-03-31 07:43:37 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
[quote=Justa Altlol]


, and in fact was illegal in some 1st world countries. It also put CCP in a very precarious legal position.

But it's all the media's fault, mittens is just so misunderstood, and everyone is out to get him. Shocked



Oral sex is illegal in some 1st world states, go figure.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#22 - 2012-03-31 09:32:25 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Justa Altlol wrote:

Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway


It was definitely tasteless but not harmless, and in fact was illegal in some 1st world countries. It also put CCP in a very precarious legal position.

But it's all the media's fault, mittens is just so misunderstood, and everyone is out to get him. Shocked

bullying applies even to adults of age?



Bullying can apply to any age.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#23 - 2012-03-31 09:34:51 UTC
Maybe if goonietrolls didn't keep up putting so many new Mittani threads that the front page of GD had nothing else to read, people would at some point STFU about the whole thing.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-03-31 09:39:30 UTC
Elsebeth Rhiannon wrote:
Maybe if goonietrolls didn't keep up putting so many new Mittani threads that the front page of GD had nothing else to read, people would at some point STFU about the whole thing.



Yeah, it is kind of pointless, everything has been said already.

Neither side will sway the other, we're just going around in circles now.
C Genix
Zombie Surplus
Mildy Unprofessional
#25 - 2012-03-31 09:43:38 UTC
Probably better you didn't say it you look like an a$$hat like them now.

Intraweebs Spaceships > life itself

0/10

You fail at life
Shoot2kilI
The Order of Omerta
#26 - 2012-03-31 09:46:06 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Justa Altlol wrote:

Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway


It was definitely tasteless but not harmless, and in fact was illegal in some 1st world countries. It also put CCP in a very precarious legal position.

But it's all the media's fault, mittens is just so misunderstood, and everyone is out to get him. Shocked



No. It was harmless. I don't advocate telling people to commit suicide, but for fucks sake, it was literally harmless. The guy at the butt of the joke LITERALLY HAD NO IDEA that it had happened until he was informed of the fact, and he made ANOTHER suicide joke on top of that.

Jesus ******* christ I hate agreeing with NPC alts OP.
Hrodgar Ortal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-03-31 09:46:08 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
But this thing has gone from a meta game attack to a real life attack and threats it needs to die.

Whoa, lets not get hasty now.

Internet forum discussions have rights too, and need to be protected. In such an environment they could be shredded in moments, we need to protect them.

Actually they are not in the United States so they are not subject to freedom of speech laws



Tip, read up on freedom of speach.
It applies to someones right with regard to the government to say "things", these things are limited in most countries (incitement to violence/hate speach what not). However the owner of a forum (any kind of forum) have full rights to censor what happens on those forums.

So you can legally in most western countries discuss almost anything with regards to government, politics or whatever floats your boat the owners/operators of a forum are in no way obliged to provide the place for you to discuss that. Hence freedom of speach doesn't apply to forums with regards to their owners/operators.
Basically they can ban you for anything they like and there is exactly nothing you can do about it as they are not obliged to provide a service to you.
Temulkar Blaine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-03-31 09:52:23 UTC
Rico Minali wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
[quote=Justa Altlol]


, and in fact was illegal in some 1st world countries. It also put CCP in a very precarious legal position.

But it's all the media's fault, mittens is just so misunderstood, and everyone is out to get him. Shocked



Oral sex is illegal in some 1st world states, go figure.



But poeople havent been sentenced for two months in prison for oral sex in the first world for years. However someone has been jailed for a drunken rant on twitter in the last month . I am flabbergasted that people can not only be so ignorant of the legal situation regarding the internet. Im amazed that a self proffessed lawyer like mittens does not know the legal situation regarding bullying. Trying to claim that bullying is somthing only children are protected against is terrribly wrong.

In the EU we have clear laws about behaviour on the internet and in public that differ dramatically from the US. in America your right to freedom of speech is guarenteed by the first ammendment. In Europe freedom of speech is limited by the law in ways your country does not it seems understand. Before you start to call us all fascists as has been said on some threads, think about the history of the last century in Europe and ask yourself why we have limited freedom of speech to protect against hate.

In recent months in the UK in paticular the profile of cyber offences, cyber bullying, trolling has been very much in the public eye. Cases of teenage suicides after a message on a social networking site like this example http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-14239702 made national headlines.

EU law protects people from offensive behaviour on the internet and does not allow the anononymity of the web protect offendors when they use the internet as a medium to bully or spread hate. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-16144640 people have been given sentences lasting into years for offences carried out in the internet even when there was no physical consequnce.

Perhaps the timing of this incident was most ill fated for Alexander, In the last month we have had a high profile case of a celebrity being targetted by a cyber bully and anti social behavior on the internet has been on the news and on prime time TV and questions have been asked in paliament. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17399027 . Even worse timing wise is the very high profile case of a student jailed for a drunken abusive rant on twitter about a seriously ill footballer that aroused comdemnation from all quarters. The student was jailed in the last week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17434587

I sympathise with americans who assume protection from the first ammendment gives you the right to say what you want be as offensive as you want on the internet press whatever. This is not the case in the rest of the world and certainly not in Europe and Alexander maybe forgot that in Iceland. Perhaps those members of the CSM who have objected to this decision need to consider this issue and see the wider impolications of this act and also the different international interpretatinos of both what is legal and what is decent and acceptable.

Townsend Harris
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-03-31 09:56:49 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:


google: incitement to suicide.


OK!
Hmmmmmm.....Not finding any laws...campagin in the UK to make it a law, a blog post by a guy who says its semi-protected free speech
So what exactly did you find, law wise? Care to make citation?
Townsend Harris
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#30 - 2012-03-31 09:59:20 UTC
Temulkar Blaine wrote:

Perhaps the timing of this incident was most ill fated for Alexander, In the last month we have had a high profile case of a celebrity being targetted by a cyber bully and anti social behavior on the internet has been on the news and on prime time TV and questions have been asked in paliament. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17399027 . Even worse timing wise is the very high profile case of a student jailed for a drunken abusive rant on twitter about a seriously ill footballer that aroused comdemnation from all quarters. The student was jailed in the last week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17434587

I sympathise with americans who assume protection from the first ammendment gives you the right to say what you want be as offensive as you want on the internet press whatever. This is not the case in the rest of the world and certainly not in Europe and Alexander maybe forgot that in Iceland. Perhaps those members of the CSM who have objected to this decision need to consider this issue and see the wider impolications of this act and also the different international interpretatinos of both what is legal and what is decent and acceptable.


Bullying generally includes the idea that it has to be long term, i.e MORE THAN ONCE. One statement, one time is someone being a ****. Bullying requires months

Also you're a buncha fascists.
moskowitz
Doomheim
#31 - 2012-03-31 10:03:43 UTC
well....recently there was a college room mate who thought it would be funny to video tape his room mate having gay sex.

they put it on the net i believe and the poor guy killed himself. a court case on this is still on going i think. No one got hurt here ....but the if you are saying oh...it's just a joke...grow up...um...please think about doing some as well.
Temulkar Blaine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-03-31 10:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Temulkar Blaine
Townsend Harris wrote:
Temulkar Blaine wrote:

Perhaps the timing of this incident was most ill fated for Alexander, In the last month we have had a high profile case of a celebrity being targetted by a cyber bully and anti social behavior on the internet has been on the news and on prime time TV and questions have been asked in paliament. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17399027 . Even worse timing wise is the very high profile case of a student jailed for a drunken abusive rant on twitter about a seriously ill footballer that aroused comdemnation from all quarters. The student was jailed in the last week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17434587

I sympathise with americans who assume protection from the first ammendment gives you the right to say what you want be as offensive as you want on the internet press whatever. This is not the case in the rest of the world and certainly not in Europe and Alexander maybe forgot that in Iceland. Perhaps those members of the CSM who have objected to this decision need to consider this issue and see the wider impolications of this act and also the different international interpretatinos of both what is legal and what is decent and acceptable.


Bullying generally includes the idea that it has to be long term, i.e MORE THAN ONCE. One statement, one time is someone being a ****. Bullying requires months

Also you're a buncha fascists.



Look at the first case of teh female student who killed herself after one evening of abuse on facebook I linked, Look at the Richard Bacon video and the case of suicide after only two posts.

Our laws are to protect against facism, duh work it out. We limit our freedom by not allowing people to carry guns either, Hows that one working out for you?
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-03-31 10:05:17 UTC
Justa Altlol wrote:
But the goons are actually the good guys right now. Everyone seems to be butthurt and/or jealous or something so you're all desperately grasping at anything you can possibly twist and distort enough to use against them. Mittani made the kind of comment you can't be on the internet more than 5 minutes without hearing and nobody that was actually present took offense. In fact, quite a few people there thought it was funny. Everyone pretends it's some kind of epiphany that sometimes drunk people are assholes and does their best Fox news impression and uses bullshit PC buzzwords like "cyberbullying" to fearmonger their way to higher ratings for their petty little rant. I just read a thread claiming Mittani apparently can't tell the difference between Eve and reality and possibly might be leading a cult that worships him as the second coming of Christ because he used the words "my people" to refer to his people. Seriously? Not even the real Fox is that batshit crazy!

Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway and everybody acts like he burned down an orphanage. The response was to make all kinds of literally insane accusations, campaign to get him fired from the CSM, release his address and threaten to **** his wife. As much as I hate to say it, you guys are acting 100x worse than the goons right now. It's was just a rude comment. You know, the kind that makes up 70% of the text on the internet. Sticks, stones, etc. If it had been anyone else who said it nobody would care. Everybody needs to grow up, HTFU and move on with their so-called lives.

lol, sorry to burst your bubble but you're no better than those you rebuke. What's pathetic is posting forum threads like this trying to cloud the issue and portray everything out of context.

I've watched that video 1/2 dozen times and I get even more disgusted each time I view it. People in the audience were telling them to shut up and sit down. Hell, their arrogant antagonistic vulgar behavior was causing people to leave despite them yelling and demanding that the audience ask them questions.

Encouraging players on a world wide video feed to hunt and harass a player in game to help facilitate and induce that player to act upon suicidal tendencies is not only morally wrong, it also has legal ramifications within a court of law. Same with making real life threats of violence against another person (wife).

This whole situation has gotten completely out of control and could very well end up destroying this game. If so, The Mittani will go down in history as 'That player who killed Eve Online'.

C Genix
Zombie Surplus
Mildy Unprofessional
#34 - 2012-03-31 10:05:29 UTC
@Moskowitz Sorry to hear that
Sedalectra
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2012-03-31 10:23:23 UTC
moskowitz wrote:
well....recently there was a college room mate who thought it would be funny to video tape his room mate having gay sex.

they put it on the net i believe and the poor guy killed himself. a court case on this is still on going i think. No one got hurt here ....but the if you are saying oh...it's just a joke...grow up...um...please think about doing some as well.


Not to derail a riveting thread, but I believe he was found guilty on several counts of invasion of privacy. Last I read there was talk of deporting him.

That's all. Please continue, or don't.
Serene Repose
#36 - 2012-03-31 10:49:02 UTC
I never thought you'd say it, either! Imagine that!

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

ElQuirko
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#37 - 2012-03-31 11:27:26 UTC
tl;dr, OP is the kind of person that goes on "bestgore.com" for a good laugh.

Dodixie > Hek

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2012-03-31 11:34:23 UTC
Justa Altlol wrote:
Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway

I admit that harassing someone into suicide is indeed harmless and the victim did sound like he is deserving of death. I see your point.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Spectre80
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-03-31 11:36:23 UTC
Justa Altlol wrote:
But the goons are actually the good guys right now. Everyone seems to be butthurt and/or jealous or something so you're all desperately grasping at anything you can possibly twist and distort enough to use against them. Mittani made the kind of comment you can't be on the internet more than 5 minutes without hearing and nobody that was actually present took offense. In fact, quite a few people there thought it was funny. Everyone pretends it's some kind of epiphany that sometimes drunk people are assholes and does their best Fox news impression and uses bullshit PC buzzwords like "cyberbullying" to fearmonger their way to higher ratings for their petty little rant. I just read a thread claiming Mittani apparently can't tell the difference between Eve and reality and possibly might be leading a cult that worships him as the second coming of Christ because he used the words "my people" to refer to his people. Seriously? Not even the real Fox is that batshit crazy!

Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway and everybody acts like he burned down an orphanage. The response was to make all kinds of literally insane accusations, campaign to get him fired from the CSM, release his address and threaten to **** his wife. As much as I hate to say it, you guys are acting 100x worse than the goons right now. It's was just a rude comment. You know, the kind that makes up 70% of the text on the internet. Sticks, stones, etc. If it had been anyone else who said it nobody would care. Everybody needs to grow up, HTFU and move on with their so-called lives.



eat bag of dicks
Kai Tel
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-03-31 11:39:51 UTC
Justa Altlol wrote:
But the goons are actually the good guys right now. Everyone seems to be butthurt and/or jealous or something so you're all desperately grasping at anything you can possibly twist and distort enough to use against them. Mittani made the kind of comment you can't be on the internet more than 5 minutes without hearing and nobody that was actually present took offense. In fact, quite a few people there thought it was funny. Everyone pretends it's some kind of epiphany that sometimes drunk people are assholes and does their best Fox news impression and uses bullshit PC buzzwords like "cyberbullying" to fearmonger their way to higher ratings for their petty little rant. I just read a thread claiming Mittani apparently can't tell the difference between Eve and reality and possibly might be leading a cult that worships him as the second coming of Christ because he used the words "my people" to refer to his people. Seriously? Not even the real Fox is that batshit crazy!

Mittani made a tasteless, but harmless remark about someone who sounded like they deserved it anyway and everybody acts like he burned down an orphanage. The response was to make all kinds of literally insane accusations, campaign to get him fired from the CSM, release his address and threaten to **** his wife. As much as I hate to say it, you guys are acting 100x worse than the goons right now. It's was just a rude comment. You know, the kind that makes up 70% of the text on the internet. Sticks, stones, etc. If it had been anyone else who said it nobody would care. Everybody needs to grow up, HTFU and move on with their so-called lives.


They give you PLEX?
Previous page123Next page