These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Advanced Audio Settings Changes

First post
Author
Axhind
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#101 - 2017-05-09 19:17:05 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
Max Deveron wrote:
CCP Antiquarian wrote:
Please keep responding here with additional input; I'm not at all wanting to quash responses. I am tallying up the requests for included options. UI Click and Third party warp have the most mentions here (at time of drafting this message) with the combined Atmosphere slider coming in next as a pain point.

That said, a lot of people seem be implying that they have to turn off all UI to limit audio for the probe and scanning interface. The Secondary Interfaces slider controls those sounds, and can be reduced without affecting many other UI sounds.

Again, please continue to comment here, I just wanted to make sure people were aware that that feature was linked to that slider.

Uhm how about no,
How about revert things so those of us properly using advanced settings have an advanced settings menu.
And those that dont use them or dont care can have your now simpler dumbed downed menu.

How is that hard or difficult to do?
Even my TV has this kind of setup so i can fine tune things if i wish to.

Honestly, it's responses like this that mean they won't even bother looking at it...

Long story short is they're simplifying it... end of.

But we are here to discuss how we can better streamline a simpler version than the old AAS. I'm a massive fan of the old AAS, every single slider was adjusted, but I don't think that's coming back.

So maybe at least try to be constructive? No amount of special snowflaking is going to get this changed. We need to get actual testing and options / potential solutions across; not just moan at CCP indefinitely until they forget about it.

It is hard to be constructive when the approach of CCP is to spit in their paying customers face and then a white knight shows up to tell us how we should thank them for the moisturiser. Just how much crap are we supposed to take and then pretend to be happy when they backtrack in trace amounts on terrible changes?
Loroseco Kross
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#102 - 2017-05-09 19:23:54 UTC
Your sound designers put a lot of work into this game; I'm sure they're happy to hear that these changes mean I simply mute my eve client in order to avoid the more intrusive sounds. I really don't want to do that, but when you lump useful sounds in with "Ui click" and that weird noise we now get when we move modules around? Not to mention the ambient noise the the probe scanner window, and the weird buzzing when you move probes around.

Frankly, you give us little choice.

I'm an acquired taste.

Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#103 - 2017-05-09 19:27:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Dominous Nolen
Axhind wrote:

It is hard to be constructive when the approach of CCP is to spit in their paying customers face and then a white knight shows up to tell us how we should thank them for the moisturiser. Just how much crap are we supposed to take and then pretend to be happy when they backtrack in trace amounts on terrible changes?

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with your point on this. No one is white knighting here.

If you've been dealing with this for a few threads now as a few of us here have, you'd see that we've been pushing back on this as much as possible (Told them its a bad change, needs revision, etc). Trust me we tried to tell them this wasn't a good idea and walk it back.

The most we're going to get here is having them iterate on this and take our use cases into consideration for revisions unless something serve happens which forces a roll back.

At the end of the day CCP is going to make the change as they see fit and the only way we can keep some semblance of control over the experience we get is give them actual feedback, not just sh*t all over the place.

I get it, it's an unneeded change as far as the player base is concerned. I hate it just as much as everyone else does, it's going to royally mess with my game play and honestly I'll probably be logging in less due to the random droning of stations and other things that I just can't take because I turn that stuff right off.

@dominousnolen

"Fly dangerously, Fly safe, Fly whatever, just keep Flying." - Lee Blackwood

Lee Viperclaw
Russian Thunder Squad
Against ALL Authorities
#104 - 2017-05-09 19:28:35 UTC
Crimewatch -> (UI Sound Level) WTF!!!

AWESOME Now the flags remind me of myself EVERY SECOND because they are now not shut off(
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#105 - 2017-05-09 19:37:56 UTC
Axhind wrote:

Sorry you see it that way.

But look at it this way. If you give feedback saying "It's ****, I hate it" then don't give options on how to improve it or give actual reasons why, they won't do anything about it. End of.

This change is happening (already happened) but if we give detailed, constructive reasons as to why we need / want a certain sound separate, they might...MIGHT... just give us that grace.

I'm not saying you should thank them, quite the opposite. I really dislike the new Advanced Audio, the original was a lot better and I had all of the sliders adjusted, but at least I can see how giving some semblance of decent feedback can help the situation here as opposed to me going "yep, hate it. Change it back or else I'm unsubbing" (like some people have).

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Ghostile Von Estravolt
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#106 - 2017-05-09 19:56:56 UTC
Tethering sound is linked to Ship Effects :( the sound of 100 ships tethering around you is horrible.
Laurifer Verum
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#107 - 2017-05-09 20:02:04 UTC
The Sound settings were great. Just revert this change CCP, there was absolutely zero wrong with the way Sound has been for three years.

Bring back the sliders. Why are you breaking perfectly fine systems? Christ.
Vic Jefferson
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#108 - 2017-05-09 20:10:15 UTC
One step forward, 10 steps back.

New Dscan window is absolutely a disaster; please, please PLEASE let us turn the dang sounds off!

I can't help but feel the people designing this stuff don't actually play the game. Do you realize how annoying it is to hear the same sound once a second, every second? Do you even DSCAN?

Vote Vic Jefferson for CSM X.....XI.....XII?

Helene Fidard
CTRL-Q
#109 - 2017-05-09 20:15:18 UTC
:(
CCP Antiquarian wrote:
UI Click -> (UI Sound Level)

:(
CCP Antiquarian wrote:
2017-05-08 10:45:05 UTC

>_<

Hey! I don't know about you

but I'm joining CTRL-Q

Paige Booker
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#110 - 2017-05-09 20:52:27 UTC
I'm not sure why THESE new ones are the basic sound settings and the old one is the advanced settings.
Lt Shard
Team Pizza
Good at this Game
#111 - 2017-05-09 20:52:44 UTC
I just want to scan and hear my probe scanning sound and not listen to ui clicks when i just move my mouse.

Please
Axhind
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#112 - 2017-05-09 20:52:55 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
Axhind wrote:

But look at it this way. If you give feedback saying "It's ****, I hate it" then don't give options on how to improve it or give actual reasons why, they won't do anything about it. End of.

This change is happening (already happened) but if we give detailed, constructive reasons as to why we need / want a certain sound separate, they might...MIGHT... just give us that grace.

I'm not saying you should thank them, quite the opposite. I really dislike the new Advanced Audio, the original was a lot better and I had all of the sliders adjusted, but at least I can see how giving some semblance of decent feedback can help the situation here as opposed to me going "yep, hate it. Change it back or else I'm unsubbing" (like some people have).

That might be the case but I'm seriously getting tired of CCP introducing UI changes that make things so much worse and then trying to tell us that we are ungrateful little fucks for complaining.

At least the good old "EVE has sound?" will become a lot more truthful with these changes :D
Zedifo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#113 - 2017-05-09 20:54:31 UTC
I often have alts logged in and docked, while undocked and PvPing on another character. To keep these alts quiet while they're idle, I turn 'Station Interior' to zero to avoid overly cluttered audio. With the latest changes all my characters must have 'Atmosphere' set to zero to have the same effect, leading to a very dead sounding world on my undocked characters.

A good alternative to reverting this change would be an option to disable all sounds except for the interface (clicking, notifications etc) while docked.
Alechim Poljus
TerraTech Foundation
#114 - 2017-05-09 20:57:21 UTC
why not an optional compacted advanced audio setting? Or have the UI click on a separate mute button.
I like most of the sounds even the ones from the D-scan and scanning tool because they give me instant feedback wherever I look at the monitor. The notification sound is also pretty important if you are tabbed out for obvious reasons. But I'd prefer to play the game totally muted or not play at all over this TOCK every time ANYTHING happens.
In a tactical game like EVE sound should be feedback if something is started or finished or whatever. If you highlight EVERYTHING it's like highlighting nothing.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#115 - 2017-05-09 21:03:56 UTC
Axhind wrote:
Seraph Essael wrote:
Axhind wrote:

That might be the case but I'm seriously getting tired of CCP introducing UI changes that make things so much worse and then trying to tell us that we are ungrateful little fucks for complaining.

At least the good old "EVE has sound?" will become a lot more truthful with these changes :D

I get the frustration, I do, but have a play around with the new settings. Feedback to CCP Antiquarian and give him something to work on. The more we can give to him, the more we can get something looked at for potentially getting something sorted in the way of more adaptable sound settings.

I don't see it ever going back to how it was but we can try and get it to something that slightly resembles it...

But yes, I do see a few people turning sound off over this.

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Stankin Yurlocal
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#116 - 2017-05-09 21:06:16 UTC
Intuitively it makes sense to separate useful feedback sounds that give feedback from the environment and sounds that result from UI only events.

Tldr please give me a way to turn off only UI click.
Circumstantial Evidence
#117 - 2017-05-09 21:47:57 UTC
Expose the audio sound files, let players do whatever they want to them w/o a "client modification" ban. The launcher can overwrite / fix changed files with every update; 3rd party tools will emerge to "unfix" and manage private sound schemes.
Candu Kanjus
Noobs for Ethical Treatment of Scrubs
Sigma Grindset
#118 - 2017-05-09 21:49:56 UTC
So my life living in wormholes now has to sound like this

BONGBONGBONGBONGBONGBONGBONGBONG

Meanwhile, I have my alt sat in station ready to go in case of content and I have to listen to the station ambient noise from that too.
Arturius Tsar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#119 - 2017-05-09 21:51:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Arturius Tsar
"Solar System Map" aka "Directional Scanner" aka "Probe Scanner" window sound needs its own volume slider. Please CCP Antiquarian please add this to your tally. Smile Thank you for listening.

~~

EDIT: After some further testing I too must agree with a large majority of posts here. Many of the UI and ambient sound effects could be further separated for more usable functionality and player tailored immersion. But overall if I had to work with what we have now then, I could make it work I assume. Thanks again for "hearing" us out though. P
Skye Fireborn
Gallifrey Resources
#120 - 2017-05-09 22:20:13 UTC
The one issue I have with the sound settings is this mouse-over click that appeared recently. At first I could disable it, but now that option is rolled into disabling ALL UI sound.

I really don't need a constant clicky rattle in my ears as I move my mouse across icons. UI Sounds should add information, not noise. There is no information to offer by having a repetitive click just for being by a button. (This also includes the sound of half a dozen rapid "clicks" when I close a window).

Of all the things that needs its own slider, it is this addition. I have no need or desire for a UI hovering click. I honestly see no reason why anyone does need it, certainly anywhere close to the use of all crimewatch timers being audible.