These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
First pagePrevious page8910

So, where's our war?

Author
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#181 - 2017-04-27 04:49:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
Thank you for all the interesting replies. I had chalked this thread up as drowned on IGS, but apparently quality on page 9 is still possible in this world.

Here's a recap on my position in short, for those confused about it:

1) The Minmatar Republic is still likely too weak to win over the Amarr Empire in a full-out war.
2) However, this is not at all certain; there might be a chance if we pushed now.
3) Every day we waste in the Militia wars is a day in our disadvantage. We are smaller than the Empire, so we lose more in proportion in the resources poured into the carnage.
4) Therefore, we should either go for a full-out war or stop this toy one.
5) Shakor usurped power on the promises of a fight. He should stand by those promises, or if he cannot, give power back to those who know how to build.

While I thank Admiral Lok'ri for the kind and no doubt completely charitable and not at all self-serving offer for aid in a civil war, I do not think civil war is the solution, either. It would be an even greater drain on resources and an open invitation for the Empire to invade.

I should probably also stress at this point that I do not speak for Electus Matari. I could not, I do not want to, and no one in EM has proposed that I do. Reasons should likely be obvious by now.

Else

PS. I know this is a lost fight, but please, if you insist on formal address, could you use "Captain Rhiannon"? "Ms" and "Miss" have connotations that are, like, really off in my culture?
Gaven Lok'ri
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#182 - 2017-04-27 04:56:31 UTC
Now who said anything about a civil war? That would be a rather crude solution to your problem.

Admiral of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore 24th Imperial Crusade

Holder. Vassal of the Emperor Family

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#183 - 2017-04-27 04:58:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
(EDIT: Actually never mind. This is not a discussion that belongs to the public anymore.)
Aldrith Shutaq
Atash e Sarum Vanguard
#184 - 2017-04-27 05:03:08 UTC
Aye, aye, captain.

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#185 - 2017-04-27 09:44:45 UTC
Also, I should add,

6) The policies of the current Empress are not very relevant for a long-term solution. While she might play it nice and not pose an immediate threat (which remains to be seen), as we have seen, reigns can be surprisingly short-lived. As long as Reclaiming by force is in the books as a potential canonical solution to "bringing lesser races to God", the Empire is and remains a threat. It would take a complete cultural shift and a total reform of the Faith in the Empire for this threat to pass completely.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#186 - 2017-04-27 13:45:11 UTC
Gaven Lok'ri wrote:
I think expecting actual peace talks to come from a ninth page discussion on the IGS would be a bit unrealistic.

Oh, I totally agree, I just think that at this point in the IGS's history, calling anything we say here 'productive' is... besides, I enjoy needling Aldrith. It's how I express my unending jealousy over his hair.

Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Shakor and Empress Catiz are holding out for at least eleven pages.

Only eleven? Hel, son, you know we can do 15, easy!
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#187 - 2017-04-28 14:14:59 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Gaven Lok'ri wrote:
I think expecting actual peace talks to come from a ninth page discussion on the IGS would be a bit unrealistic.

Oh, I totally agree, I just think that at this point in the IGS's history, calling anything we say here 'productive' is... besides, I enjoy needling Aldrith. It's how I express my unending jealousy over his hair.

Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Shakor and Empress Catiz are holding out for at least eleven pages.

Only eleven? Hel, son, you know we can do 15, easy!

We could probably do 15 just on Aldy's hair.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#188 - 2017-04-28 14:37:19 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:

We could probably do 15 just on Aldy's hair.

Only with prior consent. I wouldn't want to violate that splendour.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#189 - 2017-05-09 21:11:05 UTC
I know I am late to the party, but I think the "toy war" is useful in preventing all out war by instigated by capsuleers , and as such I do not regret my participation, nor will that stop me from returning to it, but I trust the Sanmatar and the will of the Tribes, if all out war is called for I would support it.

That being said, as a capsuleer, I am insulated from almost all of the negatives of such a war, so it is much easier for me to support a full open war than the politicians and the baseliners.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#190 - 2017-05-10 06:26:56 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:
I know I am late to the party, but I think the "toy war" is useful in preventing all out war by instigated by capsuleers

I completely agree with the Militia Act in its time having been a rather clever move to prevent a full-scale escalation.

The problem is that as it goes on, it is a resource sink and a war of attrition, and such wars hurt the small nation worse than the bigger one. The Militia Act is designed to hurt each side equally, to be "balanced" in what we can and cannot do. But that balance is regarding capsuleer forces - it ignores the fact that counting systems and baseliners, we are far from balanced to begin with.

The Amarr Empire can keep this up until we are weakened enough to conquer. We cannot hope to do the same.
Arnulf Ogunkoya
Clan Ogunkoya
Electus Matari
#191 - 2017-05-10 21:41:42 UTC
Perhaps if baseliner forces were removed from the equation and this could be a conflict purely between capsuleer militias this might be less wasteful?

Only less wasteful though. I'm sure there are more useful things the cluster's governments could be doing with their privateer forces.

Regards, Arnulf Ogunkoya.

First pagePrevious page8910