These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Online Gamers to Join in Exoplanet Search

First post
Author
Meras en Daire
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2017-03-09 00:04:00 UTC
Okay, bit of a tangent here.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.

If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 373 PLEX.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once,
however they would be worth over 373,000,000,000 ISK.
Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2017-03-09 00:46:45 UTC
Meras en Daire wrote:
Okay, bit of a tangent here.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.

If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 373 PLEX.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once,
however they would be worth over 373,000,000,000 ISK.

At that rate, it would take you over 100 billion years to start to go back in time.
That is, if it doesn't take you 100 times longer than the existence of the Universe going off on a tangent in relation to the Wait Equation.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Samuel Triptee
Frankenstuff
#23 - 2017-03-14 00:50:26 UTC
It seems some of the posters here don't acknowledge that it is a voluntary part of the game. If you don't want to contribute then don't click the icon.

Have You Hugged Your Frigate Today?

William Ormono
Reason Will Prevail
#24 - 2017-03-14 14:31:37 UTC
Samuel Triptee wrote:
It seems some of the posters here don't acknowledge that it is a voluntary part of the game. If you don't want to contribute then don't click the icon.

I was thinking this same thing. Add to that the fact that participation nets you an ISK reward and you get a voluntary activity that compensates you for your time and may help advance real world research... If people have an issue with this being an in game feature then I just don't understand.

And to those who cry "But how much money did CCP make on this endeavor?" I would answer, hopefully lots. They are a business after all. If they can provide a service to the scientific community and add some content to their game all while making a little money on the side, then good for them.

My hat is off to you CCP. Well done.
Trevorr Stjohnsmythe
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#25 - 2017-03-21 16:51:17 UTC
I think this is a perfect fit for EVE and if people want to donate their time to help all the better. I will be all over this!
Wolfino
Social Infrastructure
#26 - 2017-03-22 11:20:23 UTC
Everyone knows that eve has ship spinning down time in the game, waiting for fleet, getting camped in station etc...
This is genius it gives players something to do that can have real impact in the real world. And I may be mistaken but it sounds like they are linking this with the discovery of new systems my guess the addon of the jove systems. Which means it also has an affect the on the game universe too.

Things like this are some of the biggest reasons I always come back to play eve!
Wolfino
Social Infrastructure
#27 - 2017-03-22 11:29:22 UTC
Duchess Amarrian wrote:
I always love the candy news that CCP post and not the news under the hood. You say that project discovery was a huge success. What i would like to know is:

1 - how much money did CCP make from this.
2 - How many human hours were involved in the success
3 - How much real cash it costs for the above point in real life or would have taken.
4 - Most importantly were the players compensated back properly or is this the new world order of work more for less pay.

Amazing,

You got a little isk but the main point is its a volunteer thing to do in your free time. I would love to see a little more isk or vanity items for it but due to it being volunteer and in a game that has lots of down time it gives content for the down time and for people like me who are very interested in the progress of space exploration and understanding I will have a chance to help affect real life space discovery.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#28 - 2017-03-23 09:06:00 UTC
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#29 - 2017-03-25 11:00:14 UTC
It's more like using the network of available computers to process the data a faster rate than the astronomers are able to.

If you think about it Eve Online covers pretty much all of the time zones and has around 20,000 members on at any time. The University of Geneva hardly has 20,000 members who are able to compile and process the large amount of data that the mainframe of Eve Online is able to compile and process.

People want to be part of something that is meaningful if not prophetic.

Being part of Exo Planet Hunting will be meaningful as well as prophetic as no other environment other than Eve Online has immersed its Capsuleer's in the reality of space exploration.

Some in-game rewards though are in order such as:

Exo Planet Hunting attire
Exo Planet Hunting skins
Exo Planet Hunting ships and modules

Out of game rewards:

Exo Planet Hunters Jacket
Exo Planet Hunters Mens underwear
Exo Planet Hunters Woman's brazier
Exo Planet Hunters Watch Cap and Ball Cap
Exo Planet Hunters Patch

I have been part of few exo planet hunting programs that are really fun and interesting.

I think I even found a black hole as there was an area of space about the size of a half dollar coin with light all around it. A normal sun would appear in the same manner but with the circle of the sun appearing in the center of it.
Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2017-03-26 01:23:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Terminal Insanity
tried to visit the site linked on the first post but got this error in Chrome:
Quote:
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.ccpgames.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is www.ccpgames.com; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Saturday, March 25, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

I had HTTPS Everywhere plugin enabled. i tried disabling it and using http but it would redirect to https and give the same error

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2017-03-26 01:39:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Veine Miromme
Terminal Insanity wrote:
tried to visit the site linked on the first post but got this error in Chrome:
Quote:
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.ccpgames.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is www.ccpgames.com; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Saturday, March 25, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

I had HTTPS Everywhere plugin enabled. i tried disabling it and using http but it would redirect to https and give the same error

Their certificate expired

http://imgur.com/HXxDPgq

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#32 - 2017-04-06 16:52:32 UTC
So we know something already, watching fanfest. It will be analyzing real light curves as data in this project, playing with curves. That will be some real science, I think a lot more difficult than just categorizing images. Shocked
Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2017-04-07 22:49:50 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2017-04-08 03:54:41 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP; every time we find a new planet, add a new planet to the game.

And the first finder gets to name it
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2017-04-08 03:57:42 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
It's more like using the network of available computers to process the data a faster rate than the astronomers are able to.

If you think about it Eve Online covers pretty much all of the time zones and has around 20,000 members on at any time. The University of Geneva hardly has 20,000 members who are able to compile and process the large amount of data that the mainframe of Eve Online is able to compile and process.

Being part of Exo Planet Hunting will be meaningful as well as prophetic as no other environment other than Eve Online has immersed its Capsuleer's in the reality of space exploration.

Exo Planet Hunting skins

Out of game rewards:

Exo Planet Hunters Patch

I have been part of few exo planet hunting programs that are really fun and interesting.

I think I even found a black hole as there was an area of space about the size of a half dollar coin with light all around it. A normal sun would appear in the same manner but with the circle of the sun appearing in the center of it.

Is that from fanfest? Are there pics of exo attire/skins?
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#36 - 2017-04-08 15:12:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
DrysonBennington wrote:

Exo Planet Hunting skins

Out of game rewards:

Exo Planet Hunters Patch

No, it was posted before fanfest and its just an idea.

I think some rewards will be there to grab. Maybe something exploration or planetary interaction themed (actually they showed on this fanfest's "Art of EVE" the exploration suit that will probably be a reward). Maybe science outfits or something like that, there are still white lab coats unreleased.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#37 - 2017-04-09 05:26:42 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
DrysonBennington wrote:

Exo Planet Hunting skins

Out of game rewards:

Exo Planet Hunters Patch

No, it was posted before fanfest and its just an idea.

I think some rewards will be there to grab. Maybe something exploration or planetary interaction themed (actually they showed on this fanfest's "Art of EVE" the exploration suit that will probably be a reward). Maybe science outfits or something like that, there are still white lab coats unreleased.

Maybe something along the lines of new suits that enhance attributes, hardwiring and the actual attributes of the ship using nano polymorhphing technology that allows the Capsuleer to make minor physical changes to her or his ship systems.
Kuromiko
No Expectatlons
#38 - 2017-05-03 02:42:39 UTC
It fits game theme.

I wish we could name the discovery too, so 5000 years into the future people can live on Lolicon 2 and have a statue of me in their capital.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#39 - 2017-05-04 09:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Yaosus
From Hisec with Love Holdings
From Hisec with Love Coalition
#40 - 2017-05-23 11:29:31 UTC
WOW... that's a great move. I love how CCP struggles to integrate real life science into eve gameplay. Would it matter if you discover something while being paid to do so (meaning you must have the skills to do it) or if you have fun playing a game and discover something great in real life. Humanity must come together if progress is to be made! Currency is important too, but what matters most is the evolution of the human race!

Good job!