These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Dev Blog: The passing of the torch: The future of EVE

First post First post
Author
Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#61 - 2011-12-22 21:02:58 UTC
Zulu was put in an impossible position and did the best anyone could do in that situation. He's a good man and I'm glad to know that he'll still be around! Cool

Jon Lander (CCP Unifex) is the ******* MAN. He's non -Icelandic (British) and is exactly what is needed right now. This is one of the things that I wanted to talk about in the blog I did about the CSM December Summit but couldn't until they announced it. Oh well, I'll just do a short blog about this tomorrow to clarify why this is a good thing. Actually, it probably won't be a short blog because there are some funny stories to tell about this man. :)

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Solhild
Doomheim
#62 - 2011-12-22 21:04:05 UTC
Zulu o7

Unifex, good luck tying WIS and FIS together and iterating.

Please kill the NeX and release the items trapped in it, thanks.

Blink
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2011-12-22 21:09:31 UTC
Welcome Unifex! May your stay as Lead Producer be long and fruitful, you've set the bar high with your work with the core tech group though P

As one of your first jobs, could you go find Oveur and get him to tell you his secrets of being a good producer? Or at least, make Oveur post again on the forums (or a devblog)? Maybe try bribing him with doubled bree rations. Cheers :)

As for Zulu, best of luck and I hope you find a more fitting role.
FWIW, time has shown that the Ruskies were right in their original views which made you change your name from Zulupark, I'm not going to miss you as the guiding the helm of the good ship EVE, but don't think ill of you (well, apart from being responsible for NEX, I'd have you flogged for that if that's actually your fault).

Fly safe anyway Zulu!
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#64 - 2011-12-22 21:16:50 UTC
is the planetary launch only to evade export taxes?

war, war never changes. (oh wait, it does! - great stuff!)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#65 - 2011-12-22 21:18:40 UTC
btw i hope the war theme will also include some kind of little man's war updates

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

xxxak
Perkone
Caldari State
#66 - 2011-12-22 21:20:05 UTC
Cool!

[u]The nerfs to supercaps will cause more super pilots to join the largest alliances who can properly "support" their deployment, further concentrating firepower/wealth in EVE. The end result will be fewer "fun" fights, and will hurt EVE in the long run.[/u]

Solhild
Doomheim
#67 - 2011-12-22 21:26:42 UTC
xxxak wrote:
Cool!

Sig is truth
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#68 - 2011-12-22 21:32:11 UTC
So the captains Quarters is all but officially dead then? Glad all that time/effort was wasted. Sometimes I think CCP has dev ADHD.
Deviana Sevidon
Jades Falcon Guards
#69 - 2011-12-22 21:33:01 UTC
Self fulfilling promises. The rage a few month ago was about a lot of half completed features in EVE, now CCP promises to return to some of the half-assed stuff while keeping their last expansion in a not even half completed stage.

The new CQ look awesome, but now they become another orphaned feature.

....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

Kami3k
The Lucky Bible Company
#70 - 2011-12-22 22:02:53 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
So the captains Quarters is all but officially dead then? Glad all that time/effort was wasted. Sometimes I think CCP has dev ADHD.

What do you expect them to do? The engine can barely handle one person on the screen and you want them to do more?
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#71 - 2011-12-22 22:05:36 UTC
Kami3k wrote:
PinkKnife wrote:

What do you expect them to do? The engine can barely handle one person on the screen and you want them to do more?

I want them to finish the project they started and not leave features 1/3 of the way done for another 5 years. CQ as is has no purpose, give it one, and people will use it.
Willl Adama
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#72 - 2011-12-22 22:10:09 UTC
Good luck m8s

sounds good btw

Hi

J Kunjeh
#73 - 2011-12-22 22:14:37 UTC
Deviana Sevidon wrote:

The new CQ look awesome, but now they become another orphaned feature.

Abandoning features can be good and bad both. But I wouldn't say they've abandoned WiS yet, they're just putting it on the back burner while more important issues are brought to the fore (which is exactly the right thing to be doing for the next year or two).

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#74 - 2011-12-22 22:30:42 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
Kami3k wrote:
PinkKnife wrote:

I want them to finish the project they started and not leave features 1/3 of the way done for another 5 years. CQ as is has no purpose, give it one, and people will use it.

The engine for the tech isn't ready, the plans for WiS aren't ready and the playerbase is still hostile towards sinking any significant amount of resources to the project. I'm sorry you have such a hardon for it, but focusing on that now would have in the best case scenario been a huge gamble with a huge chance of failure and in the worst case it would have been a death sentence for CCP. It's a horribly bad bet and it's an irresponsible bet to take at this time.

@topic I'm glad to see significant changes being made, but I'm also glad to hear Zulu is still going to be part of the team. Not everyone hates him regardless of what his part or blame in the summer clusterfuck was. You do your best, but at times ****/mistakes happen and you try to learn what you can from them and move on. Hopefully everyone is a bit wiser from the experience and can go on to make EVE an even better game than it already is.

o7
CCP Zulu
C C P
C C P Alliance
#75 - 2011-12-22 23:25:12 UTC
Hey all, thanks for the kind words (and not so kind :)). I'll be around. But more on that later.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#76 - 2011-12-22 23:26:22 UTC
Grukni wrote:
Faction War revisited?

Does this mean NeX is over?

according to the summit no.

According to the summit AURUM may be dying. Replaced by miniplexes (which imo should just give aurum the ability to buy time back)

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#77 - 2011-12-22 23:56:14 UTC
The King is dead. Long live the King

Jokes aside, happy you aren't leaving Zulu, and good luck to the new guy P
Bartholemu Fu-Baz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2011-12-23 00:07:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Bartholemu Fu-Baz
Solhild wrote:
Zulu o7

Unifex, good luck tying WIS and FIS together and iterating.

Please kill the NeX and release the items trapped in it, thanks.

Blink

And AUR, don't forget to kill AUR.

And no replacements like Micro-PLEX or any such rubbish.

Sell the cool clothes (well as soon as you provide them, the ones in NeX where... meh) for ISK and not at crazy prices.

PLEX and ISK ARE microtransactions, ISK sinks make you money. You don't need ham-handed MACRO-transactions like AUR and the NeX store.

Oh and gratz CCP Unifex! Welcome to your shot at fame and glory (or else).

CCP Zulu, may you get a chance to work on some fun stuff now that the whole ball of wax isn't melting in your lap. Nice job ending on Crucible, leaving on a high note.

PS - Focus on WAR which is hopefully Faction War 2.0 sounds like a fantastic idea.
Lyrrashae
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#79 - 2011-12-23 00:09:57 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Will we have the opportunity to shoot down the balloon, or are you going to wimp out and launch it from an undisclosed location?

Twisted

It'll probably be cloakedBlink

Ni.

John McCreedy
Eve Defence Force
#80 - 2011-12-23 00:12:57 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:

I hope not, insofar as the whole Walking in Stations project. Just because part of it was rushed forward in an attempt to extract as much money from the cash cow that is CCP's customers, doesn't mean the concept is bad. It just needs to be completed to a level that blows us away and delivers real content, the lack of which was the problem with CQ in Incarna.

13 years and counting. Eve Defence Force is recruiting.