These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Introducing Clone States & the Future of Access to EVE

First post First post First post
Author
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#941 - 2016-09-01 17:16:09 UTC
Winter Archipelago wrote:

In fewer words, it takes the pressure off new players from having to join while they're still learning. For many, many people (I would hazard to say most), having to make a pressured decision about whether or not to money on a luxury will almost always result in them not spending the money. This takes that pressure away while increasing exposure. Even if it doesn't increase the number of incoming newbies, I strongly believe that it will increase the conversion rates of those who do come.

I'm not saying CCP shouldn't make a move like this. I'm saying the way they're making it is critically flawed and doomed to failure.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Martin Corwin
Doomheim
#942 - 2016-09-01 17:17:13 UTC
So trials are just getting an upgrade from 21 days to unlimited time. Meh. Wake me up when there's real news. Roll
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#943 - 2016-09-01 17:19:48 UTC
Martin Corwin wrote:
So trials are just getting an upgrade from 21 days to unlimited time. Meh. Wake me up when there's real news. Roll

Pretty much what is happening yes
MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#944 - 2016-09-01 17:21:23 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

I'm so happy more people are starting to realize this. It's really not going to change anything that much. We'll just have more people to play with.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Lothar Mandrake
Mandrake Executor Corp
Mandrake Alliance
#945 - 2016-09-01 17:26:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Lothar Mandrake
THIS STINKS ON SO MANY LEVELS! BAD MOVE CCP!

Can you imagine Jita? It already lags so bad and now you are letting the..... I'll be nice this time and not finish that sentence.

I just threw out all the jump clone modules in my citadels in preparation for this mess. Hopefully, we can lock all of them up somewhere in 1 system.

Careful CCP, you are starting to act like Lameloft (Gameloft). That company is trash, don't follow in their footsteps. We love our pay to play EVE, please leave it as it has been for over a decade!!!

PLEX prices are going to CRASH! I pay for multiple accounts for my family members, now I don't have to. Good job CCP, you will lose SO much money in gameplay purchases.

-

Andrea Cemenotar
Elena Minasse Operations
#946 - 2016-09-01 17:26:35 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
Andrea Cemenotar wrote:

[if gaming press was even remotely as decent nowaday as it used to in the past, the titles would be "EvE Online removes time limit from trial accounts"]

No, that's actually on CCP. They spent a lot of time talking about playing Eve for free, not about removing time limits on trial accounts or buffing trial accounts. Can't blame the gaming press for that one - a cursory listen to Seagull's video and read of the blog is definitely making everyone (both here and in the gaming media) use the words free to play. It's almost like they wanted to see the media boost but didn't want to actually use the words.

-Liang

welp to be honest I haven;'t really bothered with watching the vid itself, but by reading the blog I've actually got a feel of "oh so they've dumped more restriction on trial accounts and released the time limits from it, cool"

but then, excuse me if I'll get over triggered over semantics here, just improper use of "f2p" in this scenario will bring alot of noise over dominant p2w, and also it is not first MMO game that has implememnted trials-without-time-limitations that those press has labeled as "turning f2p"

and then later used in another piece of propaganda on how f2p is the gaming business model of the future, because you can see apparently everyone and their grandma turns to it.......

PS. some definitions:
Trial - a FREE access to a software with functionality or time restrictions enforced
F2P game - game develompent model assuming free access to all game content without paying, with microtransaction shop providing additional minor services

and quess which one alpha clone state fits better.....
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#947 - 2016-09-01 17:30:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

I'm so happy more people are starting to realize this. It's really not going to change anything that much. We'll just have more people to play with.

If more people don't materialize, then what?

Sure, it might mean a temporary influx of people given all the news about it it, but so did B-R, and "This is EVE" and other newsworthy events. So I'll ask again, if (imo when, but ok let's go with IF) 'more people' doesn't happen, will this finally be enough to help naive people understand that it's not some barrier keeping people out of EVE it's a whole bunch of other stuff (like being a sandbox game in a world where gamers want and need directing, nonconsensual pvp in a world where people want protection from pvp, etc etc).

Just asking, because the same though occurs to me every time I see this kind of thing. Like how everyone was claiming that Dominion (and later Aegis) were going to be great for small groups, or how people proclaimed how daillies would bring lots of people back etc etc. Year after year we've seen this in discussions about EVE.

How many times do people have to be wrong before they change their thinking?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#948 - 2016-09-01 17:30:58 UTC
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

Why do you think I've largely keep quiet on the topic.
It's a red herring, a deeply concerning one but far from the deathly shrieking some think it is.

Also might be a faint, to thin the old guard somewhat
(shah,dmc don't go, im right with you on principle but don't become martyr's because ye don't like the the weather forecasts)
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#949 - 2016-09-01 17:31:41 UTC
It seems a whole bunch of people don't understand the Gnosis "feature".

If you cannot train racial frigate / destroyer / cruiser / battlecruiser / etc., you cannot pilot a racial, navy, faction / pirate ship that requires those skills. e.g. A Caldari alpha clone cannot pilot any Gallente ships.

HOWEVER the Gnosis has no ship or battlecruiser requirement of any kind! It only requires Spaceship Command 1, which alpha clones can train (like all clones, they probably start with it already trained).

CCP may have overlooked this hull IF SKILLS ARE THE ONLY LIMITING FACTOR, which would be the obvious and simplest way to implement alpha clones.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#950 - 2016-09-01 17:34:23 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

It's a red herring, a deeply concerning one but far from the deathly shrieking some think it is.

(shah,dmc don't go, im right with you on principle but don't become martyr's because ye don't like the the weather forecasts)

Well said. I ain't leaving.

Bob Marley voice

“The people who were trying to make this world imaginary spaceship universe worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?”

/Bob Marley voice

Big smile
Lothar Mandrake
Mandrake Executor Corp
Mandrake Alliance
#951 - 2016-09-01 17:34:54 UTC
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

This is bad! You can't reverse this decision. Pandora's box on steroids.

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW TRAINING ON ANY SKILL PAST LEVEL 1 AT LEAST!!!! That will limit the damage these "free players" can do.

-

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#952 - 2016-09-01 17:44:39 UTC
Lothar Mandrake wrote:
THIS STINKS ON SO MANY LEVELS! BAD MOVE CCP!

Can you imagine Jita? It already lags so bad and now you are letting the..... I'll be nice this time and not finish that sentence.

I just threw out all the jump clone modules in my citadels in preparation for this mess. Hopefully, we can lock all of them up somewhere in 1 system.

Careful CCP, you are starting to act like Lameloft (Gameloft). That company is trash, don't follow in their footsteps. We love our pay to play EVE, please leave it as it has been for over a decade!!!

PLEX prices are going to CRASH! I pay for multiple accounts for my family members, now I don't have to. Good job CCP, you will lose SO much money in gameplay purchases.

Oh for God's sake....Roll

Jita is not nearly as bad as it was when there were 2x as many people logging on during peak hours. I have not been locked out of Jita due to people in system in ages. I have not had my Jita alt moved to Perimeter due to number of people already in system in ages.

And yes you can let your subs expire....and lose access to all your Omega skills (assuming you still play the game).

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#953 - 2016-09-01 17:47:59 UTC
Lothar Mandrake wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW TRAINING ON ANY SKILL PAST LEVEL 1 AT LEAST!!!! That will limit the damage these "free players" can do.

Sure you can.

And read the DevBlog, Alpha clones will have a limited set of skills. None of which they can train to lvl 5, some to lvl 3.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Darkblad
#954 - 2016-09-01 17:52:18 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
CCP may have overlooked this hull
Probably not
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#955 - 2016-09-01 17:52:42 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lothar Mandrake wrote:

+Snip+

Sure you can.

And read the DevBlog, Alpha clones will have a limited set of skills. None of which they can train to lvl 5, some to lvl 3.

I'm pretty sure he's being irreverent, it's hard to tell because it's not funny but that's what I got from it.
Estuary Algaert
Petulant Luddite GmbH
#956 - 2016-09-01 17:52:45 UTC
Not like my opinion counts for much... but.

All-n-all I like this, though as a representative of a hi-sec "ganking" corporation even my darkened heart can see that allowing these Alphas totally off the leash is a bad idea regardless of log on limitations. Safety settings for Alpha needs to be limited to yellow or green.

Would love to see a middle ground account option that lets you pay a smaller fee each month and keep ALL your skills but you can no longer passively train them.
Decaneos
Casalt Corp
CAStabouts
#957 - 2016-09-01 17:59:05 UTC
While i like this idea i have a few concerns regarding certain gameplay styles this will affect.

1. Free hi-sec ganking alts, yep code can now field a ton of ganking catas and then just make a new account so they are not red and free from being counter ganked.

2. Venture fleets. now i from what i'm looking at its possible to have ventures with t2 mining lasers and mining upgrades. This to me seems VERY powerful. While not the best a Venture is still a mining beast and a disposable one at that. having a fleet of these will depressed the ore market a lot. (and yes i?m thinking about it :P) on the other hand it will reduce the cost of ships that have seen there price skyrocket for some reason. I personally think they should be limited to T1 mining lasers and upgrades.

3. Leadership. Why is this even in the list as by the time this comes out it will be of no use to Alpha clones anyways as they cannot fly a boosting ship.

4. While i cannot see any listed skills for PI i would like it confirmed that they will not be able to use PI skills. Also what will happen to a OMEGAS planet when they downgrade to ALPHA?
Ginger Naari
Doomheim
#958 - 2016-09-01 18:04:40 UTC
Lothar Mandrake wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Martin Corwin wrote:

I'm beginning to see the issue with unlimited alts.
James Duadoulin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#959 - 2016-09-01 18:09:21 UTC  |  Edited by: James Duadoulin
Querns wrote:
Regarding this question in the Q&A:

Quote:

Q: Are there restrictions on simultaneous log on for Alpha Clones?

It seems pretty obvious that you should NOT allow multiple alpha clones to be logged in simultaneously from one computer. Allowing this means that I, with a sufficiently powerful computer, can spin up a functionally unlimited number of characters with Mining Frigate trained, and use them to mine unburdened by the PLEX cost that would apply today. This would have the effect of reducing the cost of minerals to, functionally, zero, completely ruining a moderately healthy style of PVE.

lol how many of us have laptops capable of playing eve in addition to our gaming rig?

i know i have 3 laptops in addition to my gaming rig.

only if they limit it by IP address will they be able to regulate it into uselessness.

still doesnt stop a player from using free alts as ammo dumps.

fit up a t1 hauler with t1 expanders scout your free alt into the area you intend to do PVE and pvp

have them filled up with extra ammo and hull reps/ armor reps. log them off.
now when you are in a region you only have to fly to the system you logged your alt off in
log your alt in. have it jetison the ammo or repairers you need and then log off again.

could save a crap ton of time for mission runners and pvpers who dont want to fly all the way home to refit and repair.

we will find ways to use them . i can already see myself having at least 3 of them just for ammo dumps in the regions i operate in. maybe another as an uncloaky scout/ scanning ship.
Alpha Clone Prime
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#960 - 2016-09-01 18:12:19 UTC
Live the Alpha life, get rid of your Plex chains!