These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Decline in numbers... starting to turn into RAPID!!!

First post
Author
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#681 - 2015-08-31 20:33:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
Malt Zedong wrote:

Yeah, the problem is the common ground is not usually achieved because the so called light hearted pvpers get upset when they are treated like offenders and hunted down and mercilesly killed by people who consider their losses ofenses and call on a dozen friends to beat the ship up of one lone light hearted pvper. Proof of that are the 4 threads currently trending about people upset we foreigners dont know to fight fair.

Edit: I just saw how odd it is to someone from US call us foreigners when the game is actually from a Iceland corp and hosted in the UK. But whatever, they said that at one point.

Which gets us to where we are now.

Eve is not one game.

Eve is a festival of sports. We have Rugby beside EU football beside American football. We all play our game, but you came to a festival. Be expected to get involved in some way with the other sports, even if not in the mood. Respect the others, be a good sport about it and maybe you will learn something and now have two sports to enjoy. If you disrespect the others and only call yours the only way to play... suddenly you are outnumbered with groups to your one.

If a person cannot do that... maybe they shouldn't come to the festival and stick to the closed arena games?

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#682 - 2015-08-31 20:37:29 UTC
Markus Reese wrote:
That is the most interesting part about that misnomer. People think the two are related when in fact American football evolved from rugby and has no relation at all to European football (soccer).

Like eve, people come expecting one thing, we have another. But both want to play. so assuredly there is some common ground that makes it better for both. Rough US players are like the light hearted pvpers. Beat eachother up, go out and "gank". EU football is like the serious gamer. Strict on rules, but very cautious play. If both want to play, find some common ground. Rugby.

Rugby evolved from Football (Soccer). Webb Ellis.
Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#683 - 2015-08-31 20:52:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Malt Zedong
I dont know, cuz I make a point of developing the most effective ways of avoiding fights.

I would get like 10 alt ships on a fight just to hold people off until I get all my ships out. I probably have the biggest assortment of cloak/ewar alt fleet without guns. Most of my ships bears 0 dps.

And when someone comes to me and say I am a coward or some such non-sense, it is like a compliment for my effectiveness.

I must admit. Since I started this and stop even training for attack ships, the decline in number of people wardeccing and generally seeking to draw a fight fell. Some years ago you could not resist to a fight in one system, you would spend the rest of your days having people picking a fight. Lately, people stopped bothering altogether.

Not complaining or celebrating, but it is funny how that evolved.

WorldTradersGuild.Com [WTG] - We are here for the long haul.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#684 - 2015-08-31 21:25:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
See? Many ways to win. For some like myself, denying the kill and tying up people is a win. So tactically, eve's best way to assure victory in a SOV/combat situation is to for a retreat/surrender. Is great for reality if you can force unconditional surrender without firing a shot... not so great for a video game whose greatest selling point is the sheer scale of shot firing combat.

Right now I think the best way to remedy this is a faction warfare for pirates vs empire. No silly contest sites. Just you flag yourself with a pirate faction and join up with them. So you are actually a blood raider. If you kill the pirates they are not allied with, you gain LP (player pirates) and other people even if they are not a part of the warfare. Higher standings get you access to their own network of hidden jumpgates that have acceleration gates which move around. Only show to those in standing.

Kinda like a criminal organization eh? Secret stations and all that. Similar to the bounty system, you gain LP based on value of what was destroyed. LP has an approximate isk value which can be used as a base conversion. the higher your standings, and the lower the opponent standings, plus the lower your security and higher theirs will affect the exchange rate. Hardcore pirates can go out, raid, fight and gank to try to get that LP. LP stores are expanded and the isk requirements are lowered/removed to make a self sustaining pirate lifestyle feasable.

Like faction warfare, add this to alliance sov holding. Make the fights earn rewards. Align to... something? Or think of it this way. There is a populous in your sov. So sov=LP and as such, can maybe make a mechanic so that each sov can have it's own LP store of some sort?

If it is LP only and not paying out isk, it keeps it from adding to the system but rewards combat. If two fleets face off and fight to the last man, it very well could balance out. If you fight and lose, but take out more of theirs, it pays off. So LP for honor.

If there is a system to make underdog fighting a viable tactic that can pay off plus combine it with more dynamic combat mechanics to make large fleet more squad on squad fighting, eve would change dramatically without stepping on toes.... Well, the F1 pushers might complain....

Edit: This makes me kinda think about somebody else saying free ships, but note it is different. Killing pays off, not the dying.

To quote Lfod Shi

Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#685 - 2015-08-31 22:02:33 UTC
There is only one problem in EVE, the lack of living with the consequences of your actions.

For a game that prizes itself for saying it is a place where what players do and choices they make matter, there is too little to back that postion.

The only thing more or less definitive is skills. After a year training for a specific role, it may take up to a equal time to train for another, but it is not actually a choice you need to live with. IT is not that if you take 2 years training to be a transport ship pilot that makes you worse on training, lets say, logistics.

But the other choices are ridiculously unreal. Like, you can live a life of crime for years, then you want to be a good guy, do a couple errands and then, voilà, you are an upstanding citizen.

"XXXX, you entered the Caldari State and we dont tolerate criminals, bla bla bla". And that person can fly by the Caldari State whole without so much as a State Navy bump.

People should be podded on sight when reaching criminal status. Should be after a point, not possible to restore their status or standings. You decided to give the finger to the State, so the State should decide to give a finger to you.

On the other hand, there should be better rewards for people defending the State (I use State, but can be any of the 4).

Crappy points to buy things and some half useless perks dont make up for the choice of defending a faction, and usually people dont do it for that reason.

You could, if you decide do deffend a faction, have the same perks as if you are in sov space of a player alliance. That would sure make people think more of fighting for the empire.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#686 - 2015-08-31 22:10:31 UTC
Fortunately Malt, they have the tools to change that.

In the Hydrostatic Podcast (I think it was) they were talking about AI rollout and would like to apply drifter AI to every NPC in eve. As such, that might make standings matter more.

I really love this talk. I gotta revive (well, re-write) my old resurrect eve thread.

It put together ideas I had gathered through the years to make eve choices a zero sum decision. Increased the unknown factors of pvp, improves ship versatility and meta, and lastly adds a good choice of highsec/lowsec/nullsec for self reliance as an individual or large alliance.

With the new AI and stuff, it even adds more. It can now add pirate raids (ganking) to high security space and other validities that keep the secure space and the lawless frontier.

It will take a while to write up, but should be fun for me to do up. Keep an eye out. Will put it here since it isn't fleshed out features and idea, just more of my vision of what eve potentially could be by expanding by what it offers and without eliminating what it has.

To quote Lfod Shi

Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#687 - 2015-08-31 22:20:10 UTC
For a time when I started playing EVE, I had mostly immersive play. Soon that started to become impossible as ccp doesnt actually helps on that.

I stayed in the combat life for a while, but that too became stale fast. Without reasons to fight, fight itself is boring and monotonic, for me.

Since then I got the more thrilling and challenging covert life. That still makes the heart pump, for me.

I dont really think that CCP will make it harder for people to do random crap ingame, because that became the norm. No one cares to lore or making the ingame politics. People are interested in killboards, loot and egoístic ballance. That is not likely to change in the near future.

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#688 - 2015-08-31 22:27:34 UTC
Malt Zedong wrote:
People are interested in killboards, loot and egoístic ballance. That is not likely to change in the near future.

Killboards and killmails, the worst thing ever. Catering to the lowest common denominator.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#689 - 2015-08-31 22:38:00 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Malt Zedong wrote:
People are interested in killboards, loot and egoístic ballance. That is not likely to change in the near future.

Killboards and killmails, the worst thing ever. Catering to the lowest common denominator.

Yeah, forgot, killmails.

Vic Jefferson
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#690 - 2015-09-01 00:29:45 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Malt Zedong wrote:

At least they are honest about what makes them play. Certainly better than arm chairing about sov problems and sov-holders all day.

Vote Vic Jefferson for CSM X.....XI.....XII?

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#691 - 2015-09-01 00:39:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
Vic Jefferson wrote:
Sentamon wrote:
Malt Zedong wrote:

At least they are honest about what makes them play. Certainly better than arm chairing about sov problems and sov-holders all day.

Kill boards are a legitimate and key part of the EVE play environment.

Whether you view chasing kills as Kill Board Whoring and displaying unhealthy Obsessive Sociopathic and Aggressive behavior OR you see it as a legitimate way of tracking Success at PvP displaying a Competitive, Dedicated and Success Focused attitude is a matter of perception and personal attitudes. One persons competitive is another persons sociopathic.
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#692 - 2015-09-01 00:50:04 UTC
And that is what makes it tough. Killboards are a probably the sharpest double edged sword in the game. A permanent record of every battle. How can one compete? I have a battle report from years ago I still love to talk about, but concern for it is the most paramount. What can be added to eve that has more importance to alliances and corps than a killboard? For those that are concerned.

To quote Lfod Shi

Void Kraken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#693 - 2015-09-01 01:14:30 UTC
I am pretty sure having the same old discussions with the same old arguments and going the same old circles for pages and pages and pages and doing so over the years in uncountable threads again and again and again is a compulsive disorder.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#694 - 2015-09-01 01:45:25 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Kill boards are a legitimate and key part of the EVE play environment.

Just don't link them in GD and we're good.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#695 - 2015-09-01 03:01:10 UTC
Void Kraken wrote:
I am pretty sure having the same old discussions with the same old arguments and going the same old circles for pages and pages and pages and doing so over the years in uncountable threads again and again and again is a compulsive disorder.

Quite probable.

Difference is this one is civil, respectful and enlightening for those of us who weren't part of the past ones.

I am quite surprized. This one and the other one similar to it I am finding quite refreshing. It really does show the difference persona and character that Eve has.

To quote Lfod Shi

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#696 - 2015-09-01 05:35:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Whitehound wrote:
No. It is not that simple
Yes it is.

Is the opposition “the environment” (which in computer game terms means the AI)? → PvE
Is the opposition other players? → PvP

There is no environment in the market, only other players. Thus the market is PvP.
When you try to collect more flowers than the other guy, the other guy is the opposition, not the flowers.

Competition over resources in EVE is unquestionably PvP. Even in cases where the collection itself might be tricky or dangerous you are still engaged in a zero-sum game where anything you get is inherently lost to the other competitors (and vice versa), so the tug of war is still with other players, irrespective of how many blisters you get from the rope in the process. The closest this game has to offer to your beloved “competitive PvE” is incursions, but even then, the PvE is pretty much irrelevant — the Sansha are not the ones who are keeping you from getting your money; other players are. If you fail a site, you can just keep doing it indefinitely until you succeed because without that competition from other players, there is nothing to keep you from earning the rewards. There is no opposition if no players are there to oppose you.

Whether it's direct or indirect is of absolutely no relevance. Whether it involves destruction or not is of absolutely no relevance. All that matters is who your opposition is, and in EVE, it is always other players.

Quote:
Do give competitive PvE a try. Many games offer it
…but not EVE. That's why I play EVE rather than Pacman Championship DX.
(Side note: play Pacman C-DX — it's brilliant.)

Quote:
Market trading in EVE is competitive PvE
No, it isn't for the simple reason that it can't be. There is no “E” involved in the EVE markets. This is the part you're having such a hard time understanding. There is no environment to struggle or compete against. It is all other players. it is all PvP. For the EVE markets to be “competitive PvE”, you'd have to set up a private kill trade board, where you compare how much you earned from NPC trades compared to how much the other guy did. The instant you go outside of NPC trade goods, it ceases to be anything that could even remotely be called PvE.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#697 - 2015-09-01 06:06:41 UTC
It i a semantic thing.

Some people insist the term "PvP" only applies to thing that result in kill-mails and tears.

Though they MIGHT allow the odd borderline case like running a gatecamp in an interceptor and escaping, ninja looting, scamming noobs for protection money the way CODE does or taking down someones unattended POCO as PvP on the basis that those activities involve some risk of a kill-mail eventuating. Awoxing though is probably not PvP for that sort of player.
Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#698 - 2015-09-01 08:42:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Malt Zedong
Everything you say are legitimate part of EVE must come with the understanding that everything else which takes part of official EVE channels are aswell. And also with the understand that what doesnt, doesnt.

But the problem is not what, but how. That which does not bring any ingame or lore benefits, is not part of the game, even if people somehow try to include it in the game. That is where the problem starts.

Example:
- Kill you because you are Caldari, is part of the game.
- Kill you because you are American, is not.

Following the reasoning posted on and on by CCP and the EULA, Killboards arent part of the game either.

And killmails as function of anyhitng else than comm also is not.

IT is hard for some people to understand that because they assume everything you CAN do is legitimate, which is of course, back to that same principle, some people has a hard time understanding that Democracy is not Freedom, Freedom is not the ability to do everything, and Order is not the opposite of Chaos.

But, as much as they dont understand that, as much useless is to say that to them.

Whitehound
#699 - 2015-09-01 08:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Tippia wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
No. It is not that simple
Yes it is.

Is the opposition “the environment” (which in computer game terms means the AI)? → PvE
Is the opposition other players? → PvP

There is no environment in the market, only other players. Thus the market is PvP. ...

No, because then by your definition would PvP in space ships be PvE, too, because these are an environment around a player's pod and you are only activating modules. However, we know it is not true, because it feels personal to us.

The reason for this is that we actually recognize the other player by his space ship, because we can see the player's name attached to the space ship and it becomes a representation for the player. We can also associate the player's presence with the space ship, we know he is in the system, and we can see his name in local, too (most of the times). And we know that the struggle we have and the loss we might suffer is directly caused by this player and we get it confirmed in killmails.

On the market do you not know who the other player is. You do not know where he is or if he is even online. There is no recognition taking place, but the fight you are having is at best an imagination in your head against a fictive player. You also give up your item to the environment when you place it for sale (it is being taken out of your hangar and held by the environment until a buyer is found) and the environment gives you a price guarantee for it so that you will never make a loss. The seller can then completely detach from the situation and go offline. All that is left for you to fight is the environment.

The problem you are having is to mix the elements of PvP with PvE and competitive PvE and thus think it all must be PvP. It is not.

Other games have a more clearer distinction where PvE, competitive PvE and PvP are separated by zones and areas and events. Not so in EVE. In EVE can you sit alone in a belt and mine asteroids, which is PvE. If another player comes along and mines the same asteroid does it become competitive PvE, and the second he steals your can does it turn into PvP.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Salvos Rhoska
#700 - 2015-09-01 09:24:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Whitehound wrote:

The problem you are having is to mix the elements of PvP with PvE and competitive PvE and thus think it all must be PvP. It is not.

Other games have a more clearer distinction where PvE, competitive PvE and PvP are separated by zones and areas and events. Not so in EVE. In EVE can you sit alone in a belt and mine asteroids, which is PvE. If another player comes along and mines the same asteroid does it become competitive PvE, and the second he steals your can does it turn into PvP.

I did a little reading around about "competetive PvE".

There isnt much on it.

Apparently its a recent buzz word coined by marketers and players in some other games communities.

Essentially, it amounts to the "competetive" comparison of the results of two separate PvE instances, in which neither instance had any player interaction or influence on the instance of the other.

Its not a new thing in and of itself, but calling it "competetive PvE", is.
An example of it, was kids in the 80/90s comparing their Space Invader scores.

You are using the term wrong when trying to apply it to EVE.
An example of "competetive PvE" in EVE, would be players comparing their isk/hr results.
Thats about as far as it translates into EVE, where everyone exists within the same essential environment, and is constantly in a state of interaction with each other, whether immediate or distant.

Your asteroid example fails.
When someone else starts mining the same field or rock as you, that is another player (hence, PvP, not the environment, PvE).
If an NPC miner could enter the field or tap your rock, that would be PvE.
If the interaction with the other player escalates into violence, then that too, is still PvP, albeit with weapons rather than mining lasers.

Weve already established and shown property destruction or loss is not a condition of PvP.
FPS are PvP. LoL is PvP. Hearthstone is PvP. None of them involve loss or destruction of assets.
Minecraft is PvE. Minecrafters comparing their PvE results, is "competetive PvE".