These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Decline in numbers... starting to turn into RAPID!!!

First post
Author
Whitehound
#701 - 2015-09-01 09:37:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
I did a little reading around about "competetive PvE".

There isnt much on it.

Do not just try to look it up. Go and play some games that offer it.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Salvos Rhoska
#702 - 2015-09-01 09:45:15 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

There isnt much on it.

The same definition applies to any and all games which do or do not offer it.

You are misusing the term and fail to understand its meaning and distinction from PvE and PvP.

Whitehound
#703 - 2015-09-01 09:47:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

There isnt much on it.

You are misusing the term and fail to understand its meaning and distinction from PvE and PvP.

That is just your opinion, but not an argument. Comeback when you have actually experienced it. Then we can talk.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Salvos Rhoska
#704 - 2015-09-01 09:49:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

There isnt much on it.

That is just your opinion, but not an argument.

Its not an opinion.

Its an informed argument based on the definition of the term, and its distinction from the definitions of PvE and PvP.

Your opinion does not change those definitions, and yet your "opinion" is the only basis you have for misusing the terms against their definitions.

Whitehound wrote:
Comeback when you have actually experienced it. Then we can talk.

I've played "competitive PvE" throughout my life.
I know what it is, and what it means.
Whitehound
#705 - 2015-09-01 09:52:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Its not an opinion.

Yes, it is, because you have not experienced it. So unless you do are you only talking without having made the experience, you are as one says talking out of your butt.

Do yourself a favour, stop trying to impress with empty talk, but actually go for the experience, because I cannot give it to you no matter how many words I type. You actually need to make the experience and must want to make it, and from your comments now do you not even seem remotely interested.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#706 - 2015-09-01 09:54:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Whitehound wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Is the opposition “the environment” (which in computer game terms means the AI)? → PvE
Is the opposition other players? → PvP

There is no environment in the market, only other players. Thus the market is PvP. ...

No, because then by your definition would PvP in space ships be PvE, too
Other players is not AI, so no, it would not be PvE by any definition, least of all mine.

Quote:
On the market do you not know who the other player is.
It's still a player, not an AI — thus PvP.

Quote:
The problem you are having is to mix the elements of PvP with PvE and competitive PvE
No, that's your problem, not mine. Unlike you, I recognise that if the competition is other players, it is PvP. Because that's what PvP means. Unlike you, I also recognise that other players are not “the environment” (i.e. AI-driven constructs), so it's not PvE, because that's what PvE means. Furthermore, unlike you, I recognise that your “competitive PvE” is something that does not exist in EVE — indeed, as others have noted, it doesn't really exist anywhere outside of maybe some scoreboard-dependent games. Games not like EVE.

Quote:
Other games
…do not operate like EVE. In EVE, everything is PvP. That's all there is to it, and no amount of wishful thinking on your end will change this. Everything is subject to competition, directly or over resources. Sitting alone in an asteroid belt mining is PvP because you are taking stuff away from other players.
Whitehound
#707 - 2015-09-01 09:54:39 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
I've played "competitive PvE" throughout my life.
I know what it is, and what it means.

And just a minute ago did you write that you had to look it up and could not find much about it.

Salvos Rhoska
#708 - 2015-09-01 09:54:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Whitehound wrote:
Yes, it is, because you have not experienced it. So unless you do are you only talking without having made the experience, you are as one says talking out of your butt.

I have experienced it.
I know what it is.
I have played GW2 and WoW and any number of other games throughout 30 years of gaming.

So your argument is refuted and destroyed (lame ad hominem that it was anyways).
Whitehound wrote:

Do yourself a favour, stop trying to impress with empty talk, but actually go for the experience, because I cannot give it to you no matter how many words I type. You actually need to make the experience and want to make it, and from your comments now do you not even seem remotely interested.

You are misusing the term and definition of "competitive PvE".

You are factually wrong in what it means and what it applies to.

No amount of opinion on your part changes that one bit.

Whitehound wrote:
And just a minute ago did you write that you had to look it up and could not find much about it.

I had to look up the term because its a new buzz word.
Nonetheless, I've been playing "competitive PvE" almost my entire life.

Even before gravity had a term to describe it, people still lived with it, and observed its action.

You are misusing the term "competitive PvE".

Its like going around calling an apple an orange.
Its not an orange, no matter how much you personally try to claim it is.
Malt Zedong
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#709 - 2015-09-01 09:57:58 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Whitehound wrote:

(...) , competitive PvE and PvP (...)

(...)"competetive PvE"(...)

It is very simple.
There is people who dislike PVP, and people who dislike PVE. That much is present in any game featuring either.

Rebranding one as being another is a clever way of advertising the same thing to two different publics.

One of the exact problems with EVE is that it is written in its material that everything you do in EVE must be considered an act of defiance to other players. The fact you undock gives them the permission to try on your life. They may be (ridiculously non-preventing) punished, but that cant be something to rely upon.

But players and third parties all try to change PvP into PvE for marketing reasons, as people who would just turn their backs on the idea of PVP dont turn their backs to the game because of it. CCP does not do that, but EVE players do.

It is very simple actually:
For many people PvP is combat,
For many people PVP is source of being classified as a person, rather than as a player
For many people PVP will be such a source of ridicule, that they dont risk learning it by doing
For many people PVP is a way to feel superior as a person to others
For many people the previous two are mutual fueling ever growing concern
For many people the way to counter the previous is to change PVP concepts into PVE labels
For many people EVE online still a game they dont touch because and I "quote" people on twitch and youtube channels of eve players:
Quote:
It is a game where you have institutional bullying and harassment labeled as legitimate pvp.

That can only change when people have a more clear idea about pvp. And making distinction of player conflicts between pvp and pve just prevents the game achieving that.

PVP is when you dispute with other players. Tenis is PVP, and you never even ocuppy the same space your opponent does. Market definition of buyouts and rollouts is "player vs player", and it is not EVE market I am talking about.

PVP is what eve is about. And pvp is good. But you are not a elite player by your damage, the number of ships you destroyed or the fit you fly. When you say that you are just a douche.

PVP is healthy, pvp is good, and that should be the image for PVP.

People who diminishes pvp by resuming it to numbers in a killboard are the ones ruining the game and pvp image.

WorldTradersGuild.Com [WTG] - We are here for the long haul.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#710 - 2015-09-01 09:57:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Its not an opinion.

Yes, it is, because you have not experienced it.
Irrelevant. His experience does not change the definition. It is not subjective.

By dismissing it as an opinion you are saying that “competitive PvE” does not exist as a coherent and useful term in a discussion of what is or isn't PvP or PvE. You are proving yourself wrong and him right in your desperate attempt to apply a yet another term you have no idea what it means.
Whitehound
#711 - 2015-09-01 09:59:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Tippia wrote:
Other players is not AI, so no,

It also has nothing directly to do with AI. Your drones in PvP have their own AI and still we recognize them as weapons and that these are being targeted.

In competitive PvE can two players simply race each other without there being any AI.

It is a matter of making an actual loss, which is associate with another player and his targeted actions (target at you).

Many players in EVE feel they are doing PvE when they shoot POSes especially when no enemies are around. Do you think they are right?

Whitehound
#712 - 2015-09-01 10:03:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Tippia wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Its not an opinion.

Yes, it is, because you have not experienced it.
Irrelevant. His experience does not change the definition. It is not subjective.

By dismissing it as an opinion you are saying that “competitive PvE” does not exist as a coherent and useful term in a discussion of what is or isn't PvP or PvE. You are proving yourself wrong and him right in your desperate attempt to apply a yet another term you have no idea what it means.

I am still waiting for you to attack my market orders. How is that going for you?

Do you know how many I have up or if I have any up at all?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#713 - 2015-09-01 10:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Whitehound wrote:
It also has nothing directly to do with AI.
Yes it does. it's exactly what PvE means.

Your lack of understanding of this simple term, or of the equally simple term PvP does not change this.

Quote:
Your drones in PvP
…are not your opposition — the other player is. The drones are just a weapon in that player-to-player combat — they're not an AI-driven environmental opponent. Remove the player and the drones are no longer relevant because they do nothing. It's not the drones you're trying to beat.

Quote:
In competitive PvE can two players simply race each other without there being any AI.
No, because then there wouldn't be any PvE — you know, the thing that's defined by AI opposition. Two players racing each other is just plain PvP — you know, where a player competes versus a player.

Quote:
It is a matter of making an actual loss
No. That is not a factor.

Quote:
am still waiting for you to attack my market orders.
Your market orders were attacked the second you put them up.
Salvos Rhoska
#714 - 2015-09-01 10:04:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Whitehound wrote:
---

Define the following three concisely:

1) PvE:

2) PvP:

3) Competetive PvE:

Ill wait.
This is not a rhetorical request.
I expect actual answers.
Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#715 - 2015-09-01 10:04:16 UTC
Tippia you are destroying Whitehound in this forum pvp.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#716 - 2015-09-01 10:04:55 UTC
Cancel Align NOW wrote:

Yes, but that's because he doesn't understand words. He never did. It's a bit unfair, really…
Whitehound
#717 - 2015-09-01 10:07:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Tippia wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
It is a matter of making an actual loss
No. That is not a factor.

Quote:
am still waiting for you to attack my market orders.
Your market orders were attacked the second you put them up.

Sure loss is a factor. Ask anyone in EVE if it was still PvP for them when they could not make a loss or just cause you a loss.

So who attacked my orders? And what is my loss? Can you tell?

Whitehound
#718 - 2015-09-01 10:10:00 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Cancel Align NOW wrote:

Yes, but that's because he doesn't understand words. He never did. It's a bit unfair, really…

I am sorry if you are having a fictional fight and still cannot win. You really should allow your fiction some room for victory or it is really only a nightmare you are having. Lol

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#719 - 2015-09-01 10:10:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Whitehound wrote:
Sure loss is a factor.
Nope. it's just a very common result since the competition is commonly a zero-sum game. It is not a necessity just because you pit a player against a player — all that's necessary for that to be true is that you've pitted a player against a player.

Quote:
Irrelevant. It's inherent in the market, and the loss is the same it has always been: wealth.

Quote:
I am sorry if you are having a fictional fight and still cannot win.
It's not fictional. It's a matter of historical record. You keep trying to use terms you have no understanding of, and when you inevitably get corrected, you try to redefine them into something they've never meant or refuse to accept varieties of meaning that don't agree with you.

Remember when you refused to understand what “passive” meant?
Whitehound
#720 - 2015-09-01 10:13:08 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Sure loss is a factor.
Nope. it's just a very common result since the competition is commonly a zero-sum game.

Quote:
Irrelevant. It's inherent in the market, and the loss is the same it has always been: wealth.

Well, at least you are considering loss to be something very common in PvP. That is a step forward.

But why is it now no longer relevant who attacked my market orders when you just a minute ago firmly wrapped your believe around the idea that somebody must have attacked them? Seems very irrational what you are saying here.