These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Ship Customization: Time to Show Some SKIN

First post First post
Author
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#61 - 2015-04-21 18:39:10 UTC
Odin Shadow wrote:
can we transfer aur's between characters yet?

Aur is not pulled to the account, not your char. IIRC.

you can get tokens and trade them, but once redeemed i think thats it

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#62 - 2015-04-21 18:40:18 UTC
When I click on the previews my laptop records some of the hottest temps I've ever seen.Shocked Anyone else getting a temperature spike when viewing these?

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

15k 53113r
World Domination Inc.
#63 - 2015-04-21 18:46:43 UTC  |  Edited by: 15k 53113r
CCP Cognac wrote:
Nimrodion wrote:
It's a stupid question, but as such things are often overlooked, I gotta ask: What about Skinned Ships/Skin BPCs located in containers in stations/cargoholds/etc, will they also be converted normally?

Also, hypothetically speaking, if a Skin BPC is placed into an achored container that you or someone else anchored in space prior to this patch, what would happen to that Skin, who would get the ownership of the Skin token?

There were plenty of edge cases when we were writing this script but i think we got it right in the end.

The owner of container will always get the skin ( Corporation / Character) unless it is in a courier contract(shrink wrapped) then it will go to the issuer of the contract.

So does that mean that a courier contract that has been accepted but not completed will have no issues? Or will the contract break in some manner because the original items aren't in it anymore?
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#64 - 2015-04-21 18:47:17 UTC
Wiyrkomi (or however it's spelled) looks awesome. Can't say the same for the rusty-looking nuegoehuvi (also however it is spelled) for caldari.

I'd like it if the Lai Dai ships were shinier again. Too many matte caldari ships.

Also, give us a kaalakiota ferox again. Everyone wants the nighthawk's old ship appearance back, even if it's just a normal ferox.

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Dangeresque Too
Pistols for Pandas
#65 - 2015-04-21 18:47:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Dangeresque Too
Pretty curious here... whats up with the MASSIVE price difference between SKINs of the same hull class? Like between the Punisher and the Merlin... what gives?

Further, shame on you for taking the old ones off the NEX store... I had been too busy and pre-occupied to take the time to figure out which ones I wanted, now instead of having enough Aur to buy half a dozen 10x BPCs, now I barely have enough for 1 or 2 specific individual SKINs.

But seriously though... how do you see the market saturation affecting the price of all these SKINs over time? So I'll just save my Aur and my ISK for after everybody has them and they are worthless because nobody needs to buy them anymore, real great plan for sustained use.

And what the heck does the "Market" entry mean in the price column? That it isn't going to be available for Aur but only through LP stores and then the open market for ISK?
Elenahina
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2015-04-21 18:48:23 UTC
Querns wrote:
Also, thank you for the Sebiestor Hel skin, which is amazing.

Quafe Nyx Best Nyx.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Elenahina
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2015-04-21 18:51:30 UTC
Kotori wrote:
Querns wrote:
Kotori wrote:
Looks like there was some insider knowledge on this one!

Blog released at 17:00 today.
Huge Spike in purchases on the 20th April.

Bit of a mismatch there.

I hope there is to be an investigation as to who is abusing their powers?

Speculation is one thing, but a mass purchase the day before a dev blog announcing that availability will be stopped immediately....

Um, the SKIN program has been talked about for months. Literal months.

I do not dispute that one bit. But the sudden "Re-Interest" in purchasing all the skins. The day before an official announcement like this, is at the very least... *Slightly* Suspicious

I went out and bought all the ones I didn't have last week. Am I also suspicious?

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Tristan Valentina
Moira.
#68 - 2015-04-21 18:52:07 UTC
Could we get a bit of a discussion on the pricing of these skins?

CCP what is your thinking on this pricing?

Personally it seems very high for purely cosmetic additions to the game.
I understand that artists need to be payed but compared to a 300 aurum pair of pants 1540 for a digital file that changes the color of my Malestrom seems extreme.

Anyone have thoughts?

Tristan
Odin Shadow
ZC Industries
Dark Stripes
#69 - 2015-04-21 18:59:48 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Odin Shadow wrote:
can we transfer aur's between characters yet?

Aur is not pulled to the account, not your char. IIRC.

you can get tokens and trade them, but once redeemed i think thats it

im talking about the free 5500 aur's they gave us, can that be pooled so we don't have to top it up for the high end skins?

can that can be put into tokens and traded?
Kotori
Sacred Templars
Fraternity.
#70 - 2015-04-21 19:02:30 UTC
Elenahina wrote:

I went out and bought all the ones I didn't have last week. Am I also suspicious?

There's no need to get defensive :).

All I'm saying is this isn't the first time, nor is it likely to be the last, where insider information can make someone a fair amount of isk.

There are definitely "anomalys" on the market for a few of these ships, that could be explained by insider trading. Chances are, this is not the case, but if it is, surely this deserves investigation by the security/internal affairs team.

Marq DuQuesne
Escape-Velocity
#71 - 2015-04-21 19:05:08 UTC
What happens to my Miasmos Quafe Ultra Edition?
Dangeresque Too
Pistols for Pandas
#72 - 2015-04-21 19:06:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Dangeresque Too
Tristan Valentina wrote:
Could we get a bit of a discussion on the pricing of these skins?

CCP what is your thinking on this pricing?

Personally it seems very high for purely cosmetic additions to the game.
I understand that artists need to be payed but compared to a 300 aurum pair of pants 1540 for a digital file that changes the color of my Malestrom seems extreme.

Anyone have thoughts?
Or say the difference between:

Merlin Wiyrkomi 740
Merlin Nugoeihuvi 4300
Punisher Tash-Murkon 1540
Punisher Kador 2390

Makes no sense to me, none.

Did some quick math... with the current conversion rate of Aur to ISK at 4 Aur to 1m ISK... cost of multiple char traing, 3500 Aur, or 1 Plex (800m ISK).

So that means to have a Nug SKINd Merlin will cost you over 1 BILLION ISK!!!

The most expensive non-ship items on the NEX is 1500 Aur... So why the massive price hike?
Cae Lara
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2015-04-21 19:08:46 UTC
I notice the police pursuit comet is listed as converting to a permanent skin. Is this accurate and will it the lp store pricing be changing?
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#74 - 2015-04-21 19:09:55 UTC
Hope this Buy-to-Play-with-ships-SKINS option was sanctioned by the CSM, any buy to play option is a grey area.

Quote:
We have expressed our deep concern about potential grey areas that the introduction of virtual goods permits, and CCP has made a commitment to discuss any proposals that might fall into these grey areas in detail with CSM at the earliest possible stage.

source: http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/accord-reached-at-ccps-special-summit/

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#75 - 2015-04-21 19:16:23 UTC
what's up with the pricing? why are different skins for the same ships priced differently?
Inquisitor Tyr
Blank-Space
Northern Coalition.
#76 - 2015-04-21 19:17:13 UTC
I feel like this will appeal more to a female audience. In that regard I support it, as our player base is disproportionately male.
Sven Viko VIkolander
In space we are briefly free
#77 - 2015-04-21 19:17:46 UTC
I am curious why the Police Comet is marked as a permanent skin, when it is still in some ways an in-game drop. I am happy to have it permanent, but it seems like a mistake.

Also, I am really happy I bought all the skins available in the store last month...the new AUR prices are a bit high. Yes, they are high because the skins are now permanent, however, there's also many more skins to buy now, which significantly reduces the number of people who will buy one of each skin to have a complete set. Make them about 33% less expensive and you will have MANY more people buying all the skins and will likely profit more in the long-run as a result.
w1ndstrike
White Talon Holdings
#78 - 2015-04-21 19:18:52 UTC
I like the system, I think its a very healthy implementation for the game, and keeps "pay to win" firmly out of the picture while still providing CCP with a revenue stream.

HOWEVER...

your prices on these are nuts. literally stupid.

Games like League of Legends thrive on cosmetic microtransactions by making each skin relatively inexpensive and in the "impulse buy" range where people are much less likely to have a second thought or consideration before making a purchase. these prices exceeding 30+ USD are NOT in the impulse buy range, and will likely not be the revenue stream you want because your volumes will be low.

generally people will start to "impulse buy" under 15 USD, and even more so at 5 to 8 USD values.

this isn't an attempt to devalue to work of the devs or artists, I appreciate like everyone else the work that goes into these and the overall framework, but if you want a solid revenue stream out of it you do unfortunately have to get inside a potential customer's head and figure out where that "screw it, its cool, and its not that much" spot is. current prices are decidedly not that spot.
Marsha Mallow
#79 - 2015-04-21 19:20:24 UTC
Inquisitor Tyr wrote:
I feel like this will appeal more to a female audience. In that regard I support it, as our player base is disproportionately male.

Roll

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#80 - 2015-04-21 19:25:26 UTC
Inquisitor Tyr wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'm a male and I'm getting a skin for my favorite ship as soon as is convenient for me.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.