These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Politics by Other Means: Sovereignty Phase Two

First post First post First post
Author
Skia Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#1741 - 2015-03-04 20:13:28 UTC
Lena Lazair wrote:
Skia Aumer wrote:
Explain me exactly how your super gets tackled and who will light a cyno IF THERE IS NO ONE IN LOCAL (except for your alts and corpmates)?
I dont have a super myself, but my corpmate and my ally mates did use supers ninja-style many times. They are still safe and sound.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it was not safe. And it isn't. And it's definitely not something your average 1 year old 30-man or 50-man group can afford to try and do. And certainly not something a large alliance can allow their line members to try and do on a regular basis as part of their sov conflict with another large alliance.

Logging in you super is not safe too.
You have proved my point. Renters will always find reasons to pay rent.
Benilopax
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1742 - 2015-03-04 20:13:58 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Looking at the dev blog again, I'm sensing apologies for game design based on hardware load balancing? Spread everyone out over a constellation to reduce Tidi?

Nothing wrong with avoiding lag and tidi fest, two massive fleets fighting over an objective in different systems, is still two massive fleets fighting over an objective.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#1743 - 2015-03-04 20:15:55 UTC
Off TZ members can still attack/defend POS/POCOs, and they can harass farmers - maybe to the point where holding a station no longer has value.

Alp Khan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1744 - 2015-03-04 20:16:00 UTC
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
Here is a suggestion: CCP needs to actually listen to the nullsec CSM representatives (they are largely disregarding input from CSM reps with Sov changes). Or hire someone that is well versed in nullsec to actually work at CCP.

Indeed, they should. I don't think we can name any other game on MMO market that has a developer team with a chronic inability to understand it's player driven dynamics and narratives.
lilol' me
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#1745 - 2015-03-04 20:16:24 UTC
Lena Lazair wrote:
lilol' me wrote:

OK look, NC/N3 rent ONE SYSTEM PER GROUP at least some may rent a few more systems. Pretty much nearly every system, is rented. Therefore there is someone renting EVERY SINGLE SYSTEM and paying ridiculous amounts of ISK to do so. Therefore they have those people already living in the system, therefore no one has to travel anywhere to defend anything.

Why would ANY of these people keeping paying rent to N3 after this change? Rent is a supercap lease. After this change, exactly 0 of these groups need a supercap lease to hold sov. They won't be renters anymore, they'll be independent sov-holding alliances.

Well lets hope so... but they would need to do it en masse, rather one by one because what will happen is the coalition will lhotdrop kick them out and then put someone back in, and tell them to behave or else. You know the usual stuff, if you don't do as we tell you we will destroy you trick, which usually works for the weak. The threat is usually enough to keep people on side.
Lady Zarrina
New Eden Browncoats
#1746 - 2015-03-04 20:17:41 UTC
Princess Cherista wrote:
Lady Zarrina wrote:
Mr Omniblivion wrote:

We would burn null to the ground.

And you seem to assume no one will be attacking all the empty space you leave behind

Except goons dont leave empty space behind even in full blown total eve sov war, theres still hundreds of plebs back in deklein/branch/vale

Granted, and they will be leaving a new supply of plebs in these new systems they conquer? I get what you are saying, but eventually something will give. I am mostly saying, the universe is not centered on one organizations actions alone, everyone will have their own plans. I respect the CFC and their ability to organize vast numbers of pilots. But I am not sure this will be an instant win button by any means.

EVE: All about Flying Frisky and Making Iskie

RadiantShadow
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1747 - 2015-03-04 20:18:50 UTC
Carniflex wrote:
Proton Stars wrote:
I'm not a 100+ mil sp player, but if I was id be pissed.

I have 195 mil SP and I can fly everything but the four titans (which I could also fly if I would bother plugging in the skillbook).

I am not pissed.

The system, as it is presented seems to need a little additional polish, however, the principles under it are better than Dominion or POS Bash system in my opinion. After thinking it through I believe goons and majority of other current sov holders will be able to adapt to the new system without very serious shocks.

The key change will be that instead of 1 to 3 "star" FC's they will need to find or train a number of NCO's - the guys who are able to lead a squad or two. The current large alliances do have the sufficient member base to find these guys as all it takes is couple of brain-cells to rub together, the will and little experience to do "decent enough" job at leading ~10 .. 20 ships against 1 to 5 ships.

I love the fact that this change will force this. That no longer is it like you said 1 or 2 FC's commanding a wing. Now squad leaders really will be a "thing" that has to happen.

It is a huge step to actual fleets, not just a blob pushing F1, now people will have to think and act as a team.
Chi'Nane T'Kal
Interminatus
#1748 - 2015-03-04 20:18:59 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
Eli Apol wrote:
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
Eli Apol wrote:

Trollceptors are only an issue if the space is vacant - active areas can just undock almost any single ship to just sit at zero.

To just sit at zero and do..what? Sit there with a 20/80M link fitted just to borrow a little time and wait for the interceptor's support fleet to pass by and shoot him down, while the interceptor is still pretty much untouchable at 100km@5000m/s ? (OR also play that interceptor game resulting in a stalemate)

I'm with the voices asking to limit those links to battleship or at least battlecruiser sized ships. (Black Ops could increase in application value that way, too)

So suddenly THEY have a support fleet closer than you do...in your home system that your trying to defend during your primetime?

You don't deserve your sov.

THEY only need ONE such fleet, because they can freely pick from the pool of X contesting ships OR completely ignore them and be happy with RFing 100-X structures.

The defending fleet(s) would have to be on red alert for ALL their link-contesting ships at the same time and make sure they arrive in time to prevent the loss - which in turn leads to the stalemate situation of having to use equally fast cep's for contesting the links.

The initiative is completely with the aggressor in this scenario.

Yes. And completely no.
If you are having to bring your forces in from outside, as a remote owner absolutely yes.
If you are as the design intends living in the system, then one really does not have an issue here.

The advantage lies with active engaged players occupying and defending their home.

THAT is the whole point.

We're talking about defending every single target versus a contestant-removal fleet of easily 40+ people.
Just how many players do you expect to live from the revenue of a single system?

The minimum competitive force would IMO consist of everyone living in that whole constellation - which would then again face the problem of defensive points being spread over that constellation's systems *3 structures each (*30! command nodes in case of RF timer)
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#1749 - 2015-03-04 20:21:51 UTC
Alp Khan wrote:
Mr Omniblivion wrote:
Here is a suggestion: CCP needs to actually listen to the nullsec CSM representatives (they are largely disregarding input from CSM reps with Sov changes). Or hire someone that is well versed in nullsec to actually work at CCP.

Indeed, they should. I don't think we can name any other game on MMO market that has a developer team with a chronic inability to understand it's player driven dynamics and narratives.

Two things...

First, CSM..I am yet to actually see a swath of stories this time around on how the CSM wasn't consulted or ignored on the proposed changes. In leiu of that we must assume then the bulk of the CSM gave nodding approval to these changes, and their silence now is approval after the fact (or pansied waiting to see which way popular vote blows first...).

Second, CCP obviously isn't trying to ruin the game. They are perhaps just trying to ruin your game.
Mr Omniblivion
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1750 - 2015-03-04 20:22:03 UTC
St'oto wrote:
Eli Apol wrote:
Mr Omniblivion wrote:

Because the opinion of someone with a vested interest in keeping the blue donut is exactly what's needed to shake up null right?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I do agree that some of the changes do need additional iteration. Like the Prime time thing. As it does screw ALOT OF people. But pretty much every other portion of this change is doing what it is intended to do, ENTIRELY shake up nullsec sov warfare. Which is an AMAZING thing. Sov null warfare has been boring as hell for 11 years now. (That's when I joined the game under my first, now sold character which is linked in my bio.) So I'm GLAD they are absolutely tipping sov warfare on it's head. It's PERFECT!

EDIT: But if they keep the prime time thing. When I eventually go back to nullsec, I will be picking a heavy US focused alliance. Considering I'm in the US. That way I won't have a headache every time something needs to be defended.

You both have no clue what you're talking about.

Null warfare sucks as it is, yes. However, this change won't suddenly make these blocs split up or go to war with each other. There is still no reason to actually fight for nullsec space- we'll probably even give some up simply because we literally don't see a reason to pay for that system's sov cost.

Sure, some local hooligans will come try to harass us. Just as they do with literally every patch that is supposed to ruin the blue doughnuts. Once we crush them, as we usually do, they'll go back to just hot dropping afk ratters and claiming a moral victory. Who cares.

These changes will not affect the problems with null.

Here is what will happen:
1) Large entities will give up a lot of their renter lands because CCP
2) Smaller groups will move into that space and claim it as "their own"
3) Large entities will then harass the **** out of those small groups until they either leave or sign evilweasel's pledge to The Mittani
4) Smaller groups will then complain that they still can't get into null and that the large blue doughnut groups aren't fighting each other

CCP is yet again showing poor understanding of how the game is actually played with these suggested changes.

And for the record, I hate having a blue doughnut. I want to see more stuff blown up; everywhere. There is simply no reason or benefit to break up any alliances because you would be kneecapping yourselves.
Styphon the Black
Forced Euthanasia
#1751 - 2015-03-04 20:22:43 UTC
To quote you

"• In-space activity should be encouraged and rewarded"

I really don't see much reward to holding SOV space. Especially in drone regions that had their rewards completely removed. The place is a waste land because of it.

This seems like all it would do is make nullsec space SOV much more volatile for a season until people realized that the rewards for holding SOV no longer worth the risk of trying to keep it. If people believe there is a high chance that they will lose their assists due to SOV changes etc... and they are only grinding a small % better return on their time over high or lowsec, than they aren't going to see nullsec as appealing. The rewards need match the risk.

I see highsec population increasing do to this.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#1752 - 2015-03-04 20:23:33 UTC
Skia Aumer wrote:
Are you happy about the state of capital ships after the change?

I am. I love tooling around in my nid in cruiser fleets, taking gates, knocking ishtars out of my way...
DragonZer0
SUNDERING
Goonswarm Federation
#1753 - 2015-03-04 20:24:02 UTC
I've sat down and read the sov. changes and a good portion of the post plus hearing people complain over coms.
I do agree that sov. needs a change but this way has some advantages over the current and former two that had been used.
First off as the Angry Mustache the Entosis Link should only be on a Battleship or capital that gives them a meaningful role in this new change and keeps ships such as a Trolletto or the like from being completely OP and the only thing that is risked by the aggressor's force.

The changes in the Prime Time is completely BullSh*t how are the off the prime tz people suppose to make a meaningful contribution to there alliances if they can't be log to even run or help defend there space. I know this is a complaint for this portion but a 4 hour window when your whole sov. becomes vulnerable that bloody insane idea.

Instead of prime time there should be a use for SBU or rename them Sovereignty block protectors or something of the like that have to be taken over/knocked offline for the system to become vulnerable.

Then you can lay siege to Station/TCU/IHUB also further note to this part your suggested time are way to short on them even with the system being completely maxed out. the SBP should only take 10 minutes at the min 40 at the max to go offline per each SBP that in that system.

Station/TCU/IHUB time should be 30 minutes at 0% index and 1.5 hours at max index then reinforced to come out at the defender prime time where they have the best chance of getting the highest numbers to defend there space be it exactly 48 hours from now to a bit less that up the when the defenders put the exit to reinforcement.

The Entosis Link them selves the tech1 version is fine at 25km the tech2 at 250km is way to long should be reduced down to 100km that way a battleship could still use it mjd to try and get away from something that attacking it while it using the Entosis Link.

Oh that reminds me that your trying to make nodes spread out across a constellation that in itself is a very interesting idea as it prompts smaller groups fighting over the area but I believe you have this wrong.
After the reinforcements the nodes should stay in the same system to capture that system not be spread out across the constellation.

There should be something for constellation control after all system have been switched but I don't have the slightest idea how to put that into words to make it work.

This is some suggestion to how to make this new system work although I'm more then likely forgetting something or missing other aspects to this new way your trying to put reset nullsec.

Further note Nullsec as a whole is mostly worthless or completely worthless. before you start doing the sov changes you need to make all nullsec worth it to own. Not just the moons but the system itself. Currently I live in a -.7 space and on the average day even running 3 accounts running high end anoms if there no one else running them in system I have barely enough to keep my 3 accounts from having to change from high anoms to something lower. My point is a -.7 system has trouble keeping up with my ratting habits then what about the lower sec system? This should be addressed and fixed before the sov changes. Yes I know I'm not including belt ratting and mining but I personally don't use that to make my isk.

Quick propitiation on this is to make the 0.0 space either equal to a -1.0 as a whole in terms of spawning and triple the all the anoms spawns with every system starting with rally points to Sanctum.
In doing it this way all nullsec is worth while to live and own.

As for npc nullsec I truly have no idea what to do with that area of space but it needs to be changed also.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1754 - 2015-03-04 20:25:00 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Second, CCP obviously isn't trying to ruin the game. They are perhaps just trying to ruin your game.

I see what you did there, but I'm pretty certain we'll be able to weather these changes just fine.
Gorgof Intake
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1755 - 2015-03-04 20:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Gorgof Intake
Read a fair bit of the feedback thread as well as the Dev Blog and my opinion is this.

The Good

1. Multiple content nodes spread across a constellation will introduce strategic geography, which is currently lacking in Eve. Particularly in coalition sized warfare, this could mean multiple respawns of command nodes (10, 15, 20 nodes all online within a single constellation requiring delegated command to sub-FCs for a SINGLE TCU. Imagine a major offensive with multiple systems attacked at once= 40-50 command nodes to be defended)

2. Removal of n+1 mechanics on sov structures (no more super grind ops for example)

3. Disentanglement of capture processes: attacking a tcu effects the tcu. Attacking the station effects the station etc.

4. Acknowledgement of, and attempting (poorly but ill get into that) to introduce meaningful content for time-poor players (10-30min Ops can now have a tangible effect on Sov)

5. Free-port idea is a great idea. So much potential for mayhem.

6. Encouraging the idea of asymmetric warfare doctrines (hit and run from smaller entities against sprawling empires)

The Bad

1. 4hr windows of offensive Ops are far too small a window to effectively conduct 'coalition level' warfare. This will need to be streched out to 6hrs minimum. If it isnt, coalitions will dissolve into TZ centric playerbases and everyone will just set against their own tz. A strong AUtz alliance would be a perfect example of this. No one could fight us but neither could we effect their sov, so it would just mean regulating non prime time Ops to damaging POS networks etc. BOOOORING.

2. Station timers being the only thing non 'primetimers' can probably effect as non-primetime.

3. Still maintaining this generic "sov mining lazor" ****. Worst part about FW plexing was the boring mechanic of orbiting a generic point on the same type of grid. In the Sov version you just orbit while you Sov mine.

4. Still no tactical geography. By breaking up the blobs into these little "command node" missions, CCP lost a good opportunity for fights to be varied by adding elemental or environmental effects that would only effect a particular grid. For example, a command node that spawned in a dense asteroid field that needs to be navigated, or a grid that has bonuses to shield tanks or some ****. Varied tactical environments providing varied game play and necessitating specific gang types while punishing generic "one fleet fits all mentality". If interested in this idea, check out the posts in my sig

5. Still no real reason to hold sov, though this will probably be addressed in phase 3 I would imagine.

6. Supers now nerfed into the ground and. quoting many leadership types "will be used primarily as suitcases".

The Unknown

1. Fitting requirements for the Sov Mining Lazor I and II variant. This is a big deal as this will really define the way this Sov mechanic pans out.

2. Whether or not the Command Nodes will continue to spawn/ carry over the "prime time" limits. This is where shoulder TZs could come into their fore. A running battle for Sov could potentially last into another TZ so having a strong AUtz to "carry the day" as it were might become a critical capability of transnational coalitions, especially US based ones. Another example would be EU to East Coast US alliances.

3. Why bother holding sov beyond the ability to carebear in greater density

4. No talk whatsoever about POS mechanic changes

Overall, good start and good attempt at challenging the status quo of nullsec mentalities. "Useful duders" and middle tier FCs are going to become critical assets to alliances far more than rank and file members will be.

This should provide a very fluid battle front but the restrictions in "prime timers" and the lack of imagination for tactical environment means that the fights will still end up being very generic and boring and also not really incorporate the need to diversify a corps roster. Pvpers and line members are still going to be the focal point of alliances rather than recruiting from all aspects of Eve life.

TL:DR= Good start but needs more dog. Also, be brave and actually make some imaginative changes rather than relying on genericism. No one wants to orbit cans mining sov any more than they want to bash it with a Super.
lilol' me
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#1756 - 2015-03-04 20:26:08 UTC
remove sov, make everything NPC 0.0. With the ability for alliances to build stations there. Simple
Brakoo
Shiva
Northern Coalition.
#1757 - 2015-03-04 20:26:36 UTC
I am concerned about the roles iHubs play in the new system. I would hope that their size/build costs are looked at to make deploying them less of a burden that either requires Access to Titans and a Jump Bridge network, or a large escort fleet.
Eli Apol
Definitely a nullsec alt
#1758 - 2015-03-04 20:27:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Eli Apol
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
We're talking about defending every single target versus a contestant-removal fleet of easily 40+ people.
Just how many players do you expect to live from the revenue of a single system?

The minimum competitive force would IMO consist of everyone living in that whole constellation - which would then again face the problem of defensive points being spread over that constellation's systems *3 structures each (*30! command nodes in case of RF timer)

If it's just a roaming inty gang, then it's dealt with simply by a handful of people just putting a defensive link up and preventing the structure from being RF'd.

A full 'conquest' fleet will need heavier ships than intys and can be fought at gates and entrances into your constellation and might well need backup from further away, that's fair enough, if you can't handle them solo at the time then you'll have to have a bigger fleet ready when the RF timers finish a couple of days later otherwise yep, you lost it.

There's still a chance to turn up en-masse two days later if your primary defences fail at keeping it out of RF.

edit: The spanner in the works is deciding which RF timers were just someone trolling you and which were actual strategic objectives from your enemies and trying to spread out your jumpnerfed fleets to tackle all of these objectives during the 4 hour window each day as well as continuing your primary defences.

but what would I know, I'm just a salvager

Mr Omniblivion
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1759 - 2015-03-04 20:27:39 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Two things...

First, CSM..I am yet to actually see a swath of stories this time around on how the CSM wasn't consulted or ignored on the proposed changes. In leiu of that we must assume then the bulk of the CSM gave nodding approval to these changes, and their silence now is approval after the fact (or pansied waiting to see which way popular vote blows first...).

We actually reach out to CSM members to get input on why these changes suck so much if the CSM was counselled on them first. The response was "we told them, they didn't listen".

If you think this will ruin our game, you're in for a harsh reality check.

We have worked around every single change that CCP has made since our inception. Much to public dismay, we aren't looking to destroy Eve Online the Spaceship Game, as most of us are addicted to it and rely on its success. Our suggestions and input through the CSM aren't "This is what is best for CONDI"; they are "This is what is best for Eve". No matter what change happens, we'll be one of the first to adapt and succeed after the changes, as we have always done.
Skia Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#1760 - 2015-03-04 20:28:48 UTC
lilol' me wrote:
would need to do it en masse, rather one by one because what will happen is the coalition will lhotdrop kick them out and then put someone back in, and tell them to behave or else. You know the usual stuff, if you don't do as we tell you we will destroy you trick, which usually works for the weak. The threat is usually enough to keep people on side.

Exactly!
CEO of nullbear corp: Guys, today we capture the system we live in. Jump in your T1 cruisers and let's roll!
nullbears: Oh noes! They will hotdrop us! They have standing jabber fleet! The resistance is futile... We better go kill some rats to be able to pay our rent.