These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Battleship Fights

Author
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#101 - 2015-03-03 14:17:17 UTC
Faridah wrote:
Maybe defender missile launchers could finally find it's place. You load them with those new blitzing fast bomb-seeking warheads?

This has been suggested multiple times by both players and CSM members. Apparently it is too difficult for CCP to implement relative to the payoff. (Effort/reward ratio too high.)

That being said, I really like and support the idea of turning Defender missiles into anti-bomb missiles.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

DHB WildCat
Out of Fwocus
Fwodin's Call
#102 - 2015-03-09 16:32:43 UTC
So I have a little experience flying Battleships. Ask Chainsaw he'll tell ya 8P. Anyways, here is why "in my opinion" Battleships slowly died over the years and are now useless.

A long time ago CNR's were able to do 11km/sec. Machariels 30km/sec. It was the day of the nanos and even more deadly was the nano Phoon! Orbiting a target at 30km with the agility of a cruiser thanks to non stacked nanos in the lows. Able to warp in less than 3 seconds. This was the hay-day of the Battleship. However since then CCP has .............

1) Nerfed Nanos

2) Nerfed webs! Biggest downfall imo for battleships, all webs used to be 90% which means Battleships could hit small ****

3) BOMBS .......... **** Bombs, but you know whats even worse than bombs?

4) Titan doomsdays. In the old days a Battleship could tank the AOE DD, now they drop you, kill you, and warp off.

5) Fighter Bombers and Fighters ..... Before Drone Damage mods you, in a Battleship, could tank a mother ships drones. Yes they used to be called mother ships. Now you just die!

6) Blops.... Hot Drops ..... nothing you can do against them, and you are not fast enough to get away.

7) Remote Reps ... yes RR used to not exist and it was glorious. Now a single RR logi can rep all of your damage, you have no chance and oh yeah you cant catch them. Also how the **** can 3 vexors with rr (non bonused) tank a 1500 DPS Vindi...... **** that!

8) Warp Speeds - It just takes forever to move around. Which makes roaming boring (20-30 minutes to go 10 jumps) and dangerous since you cannot escape someone chasing you.

9) Cant hit small ****! Missiles are horrible against cruisers and below. Turrets have a hard time tracking..... yes even when target is scrammed and dual webbed. Once again web nerfed ****** Battleships hardcore!

10) T3 - Lets face it, these stupid CRUISERS have more tank, more dps than most Battleships, are faster, and many have awesome bonuses like neut amount, scram range, web, range, ect.... why the hell would you ever fly a BS.

11) Eve's Population - Again, back in the day, a large fleet was maybe 20-30 guys. Now fleets are in the thousands. Battleships take full damage from all sub super class ships. Battleships just dont have the EHP to survive against the blob, even with RR.

12) CCP - So afraid to reward old players. This games core is based around skill points and training. You should be rewarded for playing 10 years and training to get to more powerful ships... which used to be Battleships. However after hundreds of Battleship nerfs, and Hundreds of Cruiser / Frig buffs. The smaller ships with hundreds of thousands of skillpoints less are almost as good. CCP went the cowards way and killed Battleships from killing small ships.

I could go on forever but I am now officially pissed off and want to stop. There are hundreds of reasons that Battleships are dead

and it makes me really sad.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#103 - 2015-03-09 17:16:49 UTC
Hear Hear!

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#104 - 2015-03-09 17:26:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Word, DHB. Cool

BS need an overall EHP & DPS/DPS application buff, if they want to keep the slow-warping brick concept alive. Marauders - now there's a good direction, but again, a single logi will shut down your damage entirely. So much for "Battle"-ship. Sad

It has been Cruisers Online for some years now.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#105 - 2015-03-09 17:28:29 UTC
I do like a Battleship, Suppose I could go spend 3 to 4bil on a Marauder fit.... Roll

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Wraith Soulsark
New Eden Unified Forces
#106 - 2015-03-09 17:30:18 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
You young punks! In my day we used Battleships to mine! (true story) And it was uphill both ways!

you forgot the space snow it was uphill both ways in the space snow and we didnt have shoes either we had to duct tape newspaper to our feet
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#107 - 2015-03-09 17:45:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Alice Saki wrote:
I do like a Battleship, Suppose I could go spend 3 to 4bil on a Marauder fit.... Roll

Bastion module needs to be available to T1 Battleships. Big smile Or its lesser version at the very least!

Currently, a Bhaalgorn, and pretty much every other pirate/faction battleship hull, can do 190k EHP or 1.2k DPS active tank; the Legion 160k/1.2k and the Proteus 225k/1.2k. What?

The Scylla patch will reduce T3 EHP, but it's not enough.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#108 - 2015-03-09 17:50:25 UTC
Oh I know...

Many Bhaals Lost to Moros...

Kestral Anneto
State War Academy
Caldari State
#109 - 2015-03-09 18:24:11 UTC
why not give the new entosis link thing to battleships only? would give BS's a much needed role.
Kiandoshia
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2015-03-09 18:30:23 UTC
I don't think so. With these fights over systems and stations and what not, the actual capturing will take place after the fighting is over. Kind of like Rorquals building POSes with a fleet sitting there to protect it.

Also if you made the Entosis Link BS only, you wouldn't really have the fluid sort of thing CCP wants to achieve and roaming gangs centered around battleships really aren't all that roaming.
DHB WildCat
Out of Fwocus
Fwodin's Call
#111 - 2015-03-09 18:52:22 UTC
Just purposed an idea for web changes and pirate faction Battleship changes on the faetures and ideas forum. Please like and support if you like the ideas. I really want Battleships to be competative again!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5566518#post5566518
Pyralissa
Ministry of War
#112 - 2015-03-09 18:58:03 UTC
Bombs invariably get blamed for the demise of Battleships, but bombs aren't a threat to a Hyperion undocking to add a killing punch to a HAC gang. Warp changes and the rather steady stream of skirmish platforms released have done a lot more to kill off the battleship then bombs have.

Battleships are, at their core, brawling platforms. While some of them have great range and decent speed it's nothing compared to what skirmish platforms like the Orthrus are capable of. And that just means you'll either never catch a target you are chasing, or escape someone running you down. This makes battleships a huge liability to a small gang and, this is particularly critical, unfun to fly.

I've seen the Macharial and Barghest floated around as proof that battleships are still being used, but both are basically cruisers masquerading as battleships (particularly the mach with it's enhanced warp speed). The Raven and Typhoon are examples of ships that should be thriving in the current skirmish-first meta, but both simply don't enough speed and agility to compete. It's only when you get into the pirate faction ships, which are ships designed to break the mold of their hull size, that you see battleships being deployed in any manner outside of the handful of battleship doctrines which survive in large fleet actions.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#113 - 2015-03-09 19:09:34 UTC
DHB WildCat wrote:
Just purposed an idea for web changes and pirate faction Battleship changes on the faetures and ideas forum. Please like and support if you like the ideas. I really want Battleships to be competative again!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5566518#post5566518

Too many changes for my cup of tea. Smile

I'd just introduce a new 90% Webifier Module with high powergrid requirments -> http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Stasis_Webifier

Officer webs already exist with similar stats, but that's officer - Would be great to have a lesser version (10-12 km range w/ 90% effect) as a battleship-dedicated module. Blink
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#114 - 2015-03-09 23:42:41 UTC
Delt0r Garsk wrote:
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
I feel your pain Sad

At the moment, the big problem is Bombers. Those tubby, slow-moving battleships make wonderful targets to swarming wings of bombers, whereas the faster, smaller-sigged (and in the case of T3's equally-tough) cruisers are less vulnerable. People still use Battleships (as do we from time to time), but til the threat of bombs recedes a little, they are going to rarely be a mainstay

This is trotted out every time someone brings this up and its BS (also along with isboxer cheater crap). Sure bombers are very effective against BS. They is what they are for. But a few AF in the fleet and well the bombers are no more. Oh bombs you say? Well then BS would be used in LS.

Let me tell you about how effective AF's are in antibomber support considering the ship (Bomber) is on grid generally less than 3 seconds.

They are useless.

The fact that you think AF's are a solution just shows you have no clue how a proper bomber FC does his work.

Bomber FC places his bombers in 3/4 wings around the edge of the action. Bomber FC probes enemy fleet. He then fleetwarps his wings at 40k (ish). The bombers drop bombs and immediately warp out and reload at a safe.