These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Improving the Fitting Experience

First post First post
Author
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#101 - 2015-01-05 19:45:22 UTC
Add hull bonuses to the suggestion that modules should display what is modifying their stats and how.

Maybe, for new players, there should be an intuitive and easy-to-see indication that a module works well with a ship (and its character, and fittings, if you want to get all fancy, but just the hull would be a good start). And allow it to be turned off so that the veteran ship fitters can concentrate on what they know works for them.

I second Ralph King-Griffin's recommendation to change the "cap depletes" message to yellow or even white, and only go to red if it's really, really low, like > 10 seconds. We don't want people to think that cap-unstable fits are bad.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#102 - 2015-01-05 19:45:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Altrue wrote:
Zappity wrote:

Honestly, you just need to re-create exactly what the two external tools do so well already.

Don't forget EVE HQ!

Yeah, eve hq has some real nice qol things.
Dersen Lowery wrote:

I second Ralph King-Griffin's recommendation to change the "cap depletes" message to yellow or even white, and only go to red if it's really, really low, like > 10 seconds. We don't want people to think that cap-unstable fits are bad.

We were discussing it in ncq&a a couple months ago when there was an influx of newbies wondering why their fits couldn't take much (or give much either) in the way of a beating as they were all cap stable.
Hannott Thanos
Squadron 15
#103 - 2015-01-05 20:04:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Hannott Thanos
Lets say I'm sitting in an unfit Vexor.

In my inventory I have a huge list of stuff. Like. Huge!

I right click an empty high-slot in the fitting window: BAM, dropdown-list of the most relevant modules to fit in the slot that are available in my inventory.

*right clicks*

[Fit to rack:]
[Med Nutron Blaster II]
[Med Electron Blaster II]
[Med neut]
[Small neut]
[Fit to slot:]
[Med Nutron Blaster II]
[Med Electron Blaster II]
[Med neut]
[Small neut]

Edit: you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/AEOZQwo.png

while (CurrentSelectedTarget.Status == ShipStatus.Alive) {

_myShip.FireAllGuns(CurrentSelectedTarget);

}

Jon Dekker
Dekker Corporation
#104 - 2015-01-05 20:16:24 UTC
Oh man, this would be GREAT!!

- Drag & Drop module from market or info or text link to the fitting window which adds it (doesn't install it, just shows its effect)
- Button for each module type (low, medium, high, modules) that will show a list of modules that you can fit on that particular ship. For instance, on a Frigate it would list only small modules or 1MN afterburners & MWD. It should also organize these by type, like they are in the market (Shields, Turrets, etc).
- Shows skill plan for that fitting, if skills are still required to fit it, and the modules that each skill will enable would also be nice.
- Ability to create a fitting on a ship that cannot be flown yet, with modules that cannot be fit.
- Ability to see what the effect would be if you trained certain skills more. It would be great to see a complete list of skills (mentioned above) that have an impact on the current fit, and then to be able to modify the trained level of that skill to see how training that skill would effect the fitting's numbers.

Rixx Javix
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#105 - 2015-01-05 20:18:10 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Just starting the expectations management Blink:

At this point it's just experimental, currently being worked on as a side project, but we'd love to get your input and feedback early so we're reaching out to you nowSmile.
It's not been formally "planned" or anything, but we are very interested in it, and looks like you guys are too Smile

Even better.

Then I will make the following suggestion. Before implementing any "tweaks" to the current fitting window, perhaps a better next step would be to step back and take a fresh look at the entire concept of a "fitting window".

As others have noted, the current window design is essentially a revised and revised version of the original pop-up window that has been made to look better and better over the last decade. Perhaps we should be asking, do we even need a pop-up window anymore? Do we need a window whose largest section is a 3d version of the ship most likely already behind it? Perhaps the same functionality (and more) could be obtained by UI elements that hover over the ship already in our hangar? Instead of a pop-up window, perhaps we can design something more elegant and incorporated into the design of the hangar, around the ship already floating there.

I for one would much rather see a more integrated solution, more tastefully designed, than just more features loaded into another revision of the fitting window.

Just a thought since it seems we have the time.

http://eveoganda.blogspot.com

HarlyQ
harlyq syrokos investment station
#106 - 2015-01-05 20:26:26 UTC
Can you guys make it so you can fit more ships than one at a time. Like say mass fit 10 or more ships at one time please.
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#107 - 2015-01-05 21:13:45 UTC
Rixx Javix wrote:
Do we need a window whose largest section is a 3d version of the ship most likely already behind it?

I've always thought that silly. Might as well just make the center of the window transparent and let you see the hanger instead... unless you're using (supress your smirks) Captain's Quarters...
TheExtruder
TheExtruder Corporation
#108 - 2015-01-05 21:26:30 UTC  |  Edited by: TheExtruder
could be cool to make the fitting window involve the station interior in some small way (start small and expand upon it from expansion to expansion. just as long as you create a good foundation from the beginning there is no limit to the amount of visual improvements you can make to it in the future)
Rixx Javix
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#109 - 2015-01-05 21:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Rixx Javix
As usual I can't leave well enough alone and decided to quickly mock-up what I was talking about in the previous post. Again, this was done quickly and essentially used what is already available with some improvements taken from suggestions in this thread.

Fitting Window UI Concept

UPDATED to make the image larger and clean up a few things.

http://eveoganda.blogspot.com

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#110 - 2015-01-05 21:32:31 UTC
BUYING CORP/PERSONAL FITTINGS IN BULK...

And then some kind of "yes i'd like to fit up 20 of those maledictions/harpies/ishtars/geddons in one go please"
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#111 - 2015-01-05 21:35:03 UTC
Rixx Javix wrote:
As usual I can't leave well enough alone and decided to quickly mock-up what I was talking about in the previous post. Again, this was done quickly and essentially used what is already available with some improvements taken from suggestions in this thread.

Fitting Window UI Concept

This is an EXCELENT thing... Should also make it less of a hassle if it would be compatible with the "fit" button from the fitting manager thing... Might even make something like a mass fitter unneeded, drag fit drag fit drag fit instead of the current version whioch has many more buttons between me and winning...
Krops Vont
#112 - 2015-01-05 21:44:31 UTC
Two things.

Able to swap modules inside your cargo instead of unfit drag refit drag. (For those pesky mobile depot shooters to avoid an unfit slot)

Show drone bandwidth & range on fitting as well. :)

--==Services==--

Propaganda/Art/Media

Wormhole Finding & Selling

o/ Play for fun

vipeer
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#113 - 2015-01-05 21:49:04 UTC
There is Personal and Corp fits, please add Alliance fits.
Possibly with version control and history to see the difference between an old and new fit.

Make it possible to list several modules, in order, for slots.
Like, in this slot put Module X, else Module Y.

Add list of things to include in cargo hold, spare modules. Or increase the size of the description window.
RazorDreamz
Chaotic Dynamics
#114 - 2015-01-05 22:04:19 UTC
Would be nice to have a window that displays items that will fit given your current left-over CPU and PG. Sortable by slot etc. (basically like the market window but with filters on the CPU and PG. Or just add that to the market window.
Haunting Widow
Honor Forge
Joint Operation Involving Nobodys
#115 - 2015-01-05 22:33:34 UTC
I think an incredibly powerful and easy to include option would be to see a list of modules I'm still capable of adding to my fit based on available ship resources and skill requirements. Add the option of viewing modules by slot and category and some filters like meta levels, PG, CPU, Optimal etc and this could replace a lot of 3rd party apps for a lot of users.
Rekkr Nordgard
Steelforge Heavy Industries
#116 - 2015-01-05 22:38:14 UTC
Please, please, please give us an "buy entire fit" option. Having to go through and individually buy 15 modules & rigs plus ammo every time I need to replace a ship is needlessly tedious. You already have mutli-sell coded, now we need multi-buy for ship fits.
snorkle25
Interstellar Ventures LLC
#117 - 2015-01-05 22:48:31 UTC
DRONE INFO:

drone control range, drone optimal/falloff, drone velocity with and without MWD, drone DPS (and with what drones specifically). IE, if I'm in a dominix how much drone control range do I have and which flight of drones gives me what DPS. How do my omni's effect my drones, etc.

FITTING:

Show PG/CPU and if it's effected by implants show how much is from the implants.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#118 - 2015-01-05 22:56:59 UTC
On the last one, if at all possible make the show info on drones actually work? Since they seem to ignore what ships they are launched from and other such bonusses... I'd kinda like to compare my snake's sentries to the regular boring ones...
Mharius Skjem
Guardians of the Underworld
#119 - 2015-01-05 23:10:30 UTC
How about recommended T1 fits for ships with the option to buy the modules of the market, to get noobs into the game quicker.

This might help explain the ships intended role better for noobs and teach them about the different philosophies centred around modules.

Combined with the mastery certificates in the ship descriptions it could tie up nicely, especially if integrated in the interbus ship recognition system.

Check out a ship, check out the requirements, study the mastery, sample some fits and right click to buy.

A recovering btter vet,  with a fresh toon and a determination to like everything that CCP does to Eve...

Don't take me too seriously though, I like to tease a bit on the forums, but that's only because I love you...

Zalmun
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#120 - 2015-01-05 23:14:42 UTC
A common problem for groups with fleet doctrines is having to inspect contracts with fit ships closely to ensure that the ship has all the proper fittings. I've run into this problem myself at least a couple times, and I know this is a frequent problem, at least within my own organization.

Add the ability to compare a fit ship within a contract to a saved personal or corporate fit, and report differences. This would greatly improve the quality of life for people buying doctrine ships on contract, and also encourage sellers to properly fit their ships since bad fits would be flagged and people could easily avoid them.