These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Where do you draw the line?

Author
Serene Repose
#101 - 2015-01-04 17:01:32 UTC
Tear Jar wrote:
Xerxes Fehrnah wrote:
My question for you is what code of conduct or rules do you obey in-game that are not required by the game mechanics? When I started Eve, I tried to be nice to people the way I am in real life... helping people... basically a big boy scout. These days... I will still help a newbie, but I find myself losing concern for my public image as a good guy.

The Code of the New Order of High Sec, as all high sec players should.
They're like ants. Wait around long enough they'll find every crumb.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#102 - 2015-01-04 19:56:55 UTC
There are certain circumstances in which I will not steal your mom's anal virginity whilst I repeatedly dunk your pod. I don't do this to total noobs (unless said mother is exceptionally hot).

I don't know what's up with this amateurish faux-philosophy hour here, but then I realized that Vyl was writing a lot of it and remembered that it is all pretty much too worthless to bother with.

But yeah, I pretty much draw the line somewhere after seducing your mom in real life and posting the pics online.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Themanfromdalmontee
EVE RADIO ARMY
#103 - 2015-01-04 20:20:00 UTC
1) I won't screw my corp or corpies over
2) I won't screw over friends
3) I'll help nubes

Other than that fair game. I have no problem doing something to someone being stupid, like auto piloting.
Chal0ner
Hideaway Hunters
The Hideaway.
#104 - 2015-01-04 20:38:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Chal0ner
Xerxes Fehrnah wrote:
My question for you is what code of conduct or rules do you obey in-game that are not required by the game mechanics? When I started Eve, I tried to be nice to people the way I am in real life... helping people... basically a big boy scout. These days... I will still help a newbie, but I find myself losing concern for my public image as a good guy.

Scamming ... never done it - never will. Others might do if they like.

Suicide ganking .... tried killling miners (on my pvp-er) in high sec, didn't work - it's like killing my newbie character. Others might do it they want but I don't have it in me.

Otherwise, if people suffer in the game it's because Darwin or that they are new and inexperienced. If the latter they'll learn. Still I'll help them survive in the game if I can =)
(This all prolly is what happens having lived in low/null sec most of my game time)
AeonOfTime
Syrkos Technologies
#105 - 2015-01-04 20:50:51 UTC
I follow the same moral guidelines that I follow in RL. Personally I have never been able to take on the role of a bad guy in games, it simply fails to be fun. EVE being a social game, I found it gratifying to create long lasting friendships based on my RL moral code, especially since I just have to be, well, myself. I am always nice to people, helpful (with a healthy dose of paranoia), and I do not gank / scam / grief, or engage in any of the shadier playstyles. That is where I draw the line, even though I know that I do not have to. Does it bother me? Not at all. It has nothing to do with my public image either: as an Internet veteran, I know how ephemereal and insubstantial it is, even more so in an MMO.

Incidentally, a few people told me over the years that I was missing out on a lot of fun game content. The thing is, contrary to what those people believe, I am already having a lot of fun playing the game my own way, even after 7 years. Sure, I have been made fun of for liking activities such as mining or mission running. I learned how to ignore such opinions though, and stick to the friends I have which do not judge or try to convert me to their playstyles. Makes everything a lot easier.

Lone wolf and nomad extraordinaire. eve.aeonoftime.com

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#106 - 2015-01-04 21:28:43 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
If you'd do it in EVE, you'd do it in real life.

So you're saying that if an actor lands a role in a movie as a terrorist, they're also a terrorist in real life? After all, we're just actors in an interactive show that runs 23.5/7.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Kaldi Tsukaya
Deveron Shipyards and Technology
Citizen's Star Republic
#107 - 2015-01-04 22:23:41 UTC
Trolling, flaming, baiting etc have become the new norm of internet life. I have done it too, all the way back to USENET days.

I was being my usual asshat self on YT, and happened to flame on a video that a girl posted. I posted some rather rude and disrespectful comments, along with about a hundred other people who denigrated and demoralized this person. About a week or so later, I received a private message from the parents of said girl, who (without judgement) informed me that their daughter had committed suicide, and would not be replying to any of the comments.

Hammer to the head time, I have changed how I conduct myself in the online world. Words do hurt, do cause damage. Anyone denying said comment really should log off and go to watch the kids play at the park for a while and ponder what it means to be a human being.

I appreciate what EvE is, what it allows you to do. But always remember that these are people playing. If you RP the bad-guy, be able and willing to acknowledge your role as being such. It is just a role. Allow yourself, as a person, the ability to step away from that when it is required. Don't ever accept the situation where 'everyone else was doing it too' is an excuse.

Now go blow some **** stuff up.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#108 - 2015-01-04 22:30:50 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
As is common, I won't screw over my friends.

In what may separate me somewhat, I'm patient with newer, confused players even when they rage at me. I have a friend in EVE who made an RL threat in our first conversation.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin