These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
Yuri Thorpe
Volatile Restability
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#6921 - 2014-10-05 16:09:52 UTC
Nazri al Mahdi wrote:
Yuri Thorpe wrote:
Nazri al Mahdi wrote:
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
[quote=Bezdar22]this game is no longer players MMO..

tons of old player will leave game just coz of this changes...

There is no reason BLOPS should outrange jump freighters.

Why not?

BLOPS shouldn't out-range anything. If someone moves in with 50 blops and 500 bombers in a system and pounds you all day long, you should be able to counterdrop them with caps to grind out the sov and evict them from the system.

They don't, no one moves with 500 man bomber fleets, no one moves with 50 blops, tell me one kill with 500 bombers on it, I will even take 150 bombers
Nazri al Mahdi
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6922 - 2014-10-05 16:11:54 UTC
Yuri Thorpe wrote:

They don't, no one moves with 500 man bomber fleets, no one moves with 50 blops, tell me one kill with 500 bombers on it, I will even take 150 bombers

Your sov was taken with mass bombers in the fountain war.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6923 - 2014-10-05 16:12:29 UTC
I would encourage folks who are interested in these changes to listen to Manny and Jeffraider (along with some shmoe called Oh Takashawa) from PL do an hour and a half long Q&A over at EVE-Uni. Well worth the listen.

http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&p=734425#p734425

They mention freighter convoys fondly, talk about the importance of topography under the new jump paradigm, and speculate on where EVE might go after the patch. Spoiler - none of them think this will break up sov null, and even they admit that the fact that they can hold dronelands unchallenged without even being there is broken.

The future will be interesting times, ladies and gents. Interesting times.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Dwissi
Miners Delight Reborn
#6924 - 2014-10-05 16:12:51 UTC
And there i seriously thought this was to provide feedback to the devs and not the department for 'What i see in my crystal ball to happen'

Proud designer of glasses for geeky dovakins

Before someone complains again: grr everyone

Greed is the death of loyalty

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6925 - 2014-10-05 16:14:24 UTC
Nazri al Mahdi wrote:
Yuri Thorpe wrote:

Your sov was taken with mass bombers in the fountain war.

And post jump changes, especially if they introduce lower structure HP, it'll be feasible to bridge in a bunch of Stealth Bombers and T3s with Blockade Runners to SBU systems "behind enemy lines". With lowered ability to be everywhere at once, this allows an attacker to force the defender to choose where to be and how to defend.

Life's gonna get interesting.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

W Sherman Elric
Argentum Holdings
#6926 - 2014-10-05 16:15:35 UTC
The travel changes will be nice but only if they coupled with new access points. As the changes stand **** holes like the ass end of eve in branch are perfectly safe. Null will need to be thinned out more low sec lines of entry. More direct connections to high sec. The biggest problem after power projection is access. but branch one gate from high sec and you have instant content.

Put the ore ring one jump from high sec and instant content.

Change GW to a mix of high, low, and null sec with stations here and there an not true pockets.

more than just jump changes need to happen the map needs to be remodeled.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#6927 - 2014-10-05 16:19:15 UTC
W Sherman Elric wrote:

If only something cool like player built gates were being looked at for just that reason.

Mr Epeen Cool
Nazri al Mahdi
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6928 - 2014-10-05 16:21:08 UTC
W Sherman Elric wrote:
The travel changes will be nice but only if they coupled with new access points. As the changes stand **** holes like the ass end of eve in branch are perfectly safe. Null will need to be thinned out more low sec lines of entry. More direct connections to high sec. The biggest problem after power projection is access. but branch one gate from high sec and you have instant content.

Change GW to a mix of high, low, and null sec with stations here and there an not true pockets.

Yes please, if N3PL is entertained with constant ****lers coming in from empire, I'll be able to autopilot standard freighters all the way home.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#6929 - 2014-10-05 16:21:27 UTC
Nazri al Mahdi wrote:
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
Bezdar22 wrote:
this game is no longer players MMO..

tons of old player will leave game just coz of this changes...

Just only out of CFC and N3. Oh wait....

AFAIK the CFC is perfectly situated. Each of their alliances is strong enough to handle any sewage that washes in from empire in a border region - they have Goonswam for crying out loud. N3PL is the same, and can see them a Nulli Secunda, an NCDot, and a freaking Pandemic Legion.

Grath and Manny of PL are sobbing tears - of bloodjoy - at these changes, while Mittens cackles maniacally to thundercracks in his belfry.

Small entities wanting to seize outlying areas of nullsec will not be able to supply and will be roamed by the same people who roam there today, only without the ability to sustain resistance. Established entities in the far reaches of nullsec - even small renters - will adapt to these changes because they are attached to the ruling coalitions.

Nothing changes, but the game gets less fun because of much more time spent doing indy and logistics crap.

Fix the JF so it gets 7.5ly or greater range at the cost of more normal fatigue, as someone suggested earlier, and give the hull a reduction to fatigue impact so that it is only felt if JF is used as combat taxi when switching pilot to a different hull. Then the goals CCP has with this release will be met - a vibrant and combative nullsec with a budding industry.

There is no reason BLOPS should outrange jump freighters.

With 7.5ly range, it's only a devastating 14 mids to Outer Passage. With 5ly it's 28 - way too freaking much - it would be like traveling from Ancient Greece to Florida in a Trireme.

This is a general outlook and it's as accurate as it can be. We have a very vague blog to work with so making precise comments is impossible.

There will be mitigation factors to these proposed changes. skill books to reduce fatigue, fatigue burn off and cooldowns on jumps. I expect there to be rigs and modules with a similar effect. Jump range rigs and modules. It's one of the reasons the JF needs to be excluded. Fits and rigs on a JF are locked in with no slots.

I expect that once it's all said and done we will be able to fit a fleet to be mobile, then do a refit on the field to fight. If they go the way of rigs, that will make for some painful rig slotting but a dedicated logistics carrier wouldn't have the issue. All of what I describe is pure speculation because while I fully expect mitigation content with this level of nerf, we simply don't know what that mitigation content will be.
uziel99
Multiplex Gaming
Tactical Narcotics Team
#6930 - 2014-10-05 16:28:46 UTC
W Sherman Elric wrote:

The downsde to living in places like Branch or Tenal is the huge PITA it'll be to get logisitics done. They never did get around to providing materials for local T2 industry or the other racial isotopes (via new belts, or even new alchemy/industry prints) in null. they should have done that first before these changes.

From the formless void's gaping maw, there springs an entity.  Not an entity such as any you can conceive of, nor I; an entity more primordial than the elements themselves. In its wake there will follow a storm, as the appetite of nothing expands over the world. The Prophecy is true. Grayscale has come.

Ninteen Seventy-Nine
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#6931 - 2014-10-05 16:30:36 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
I would encourage folks who are interested in these changes to listen to Manny and Jeffraider (along with some shmoe called Oh Takashawa) from PL do an hour and a half long Q&A over at EVE-Uni. Well worth the listen.

They mention freighter convoys fondly, talk about the importance of topography under the new jump paradigm, and speculate on where EVE might go after the patch. Spoiler - none of them think this will break up sov null, and even they admit that the fact that they can hold dronelands unchallenged without even being there is broken.

In depth analysis is futile. Supply lines and strategic ship placements are the only thing rational to discuss at this point.

There are too many other changes coming for people to consider bigger picture discussions seriously. It's all flippant speculation.

"The unending paradox is that we do learn through pain."

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6932 - 2014-10-05 16:31:00 UTC
I think one way to mitigate the NPC null supply issue would be to add a couple null -> lowsec gates. Frame it as pirate empires expanding their reach and shoring up their supply routes following the revelation of the jump fatigue issues. That'd give deep NPC null residents a way to supply themselves, while not making it *too* easy. There's a good bit of security to be had living in deep nullsec after these changes, and it ought to be paid for in convenience IMO.

Hicksimus
Torgue
#6933 - 2014-10-05 16:32:06 UTC
I dunno I flew an orca straight out of Tenal 2 months ago, it wasn't a long trip like some make it seem.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
#6934 - 2014-10-05 16:33:05 UTC
Who will be post 7000?

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Nazri al Mahdi
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6935 - 2014-10-05 16:33:54 UTC
uziel99 wrote:
W Sherman Elric wrote:

The downsde to living in places like Branch or Tenal is the huge PITA it'll be to get logisitics done. They never did get around to providing materials for local T2 industry or the other racial isotopes (via new belts, or even new alchemy/industry prints) in null. they should have done that first before these changes.

PL's Manfred Sideous says the same thing. See, this is bringing all of nullsec together!

Let's form the actual blue doughnut for 6 months and burn empire to the ground, pretty please!
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6936 - 2014-10-05 16:35:19 UTC
Hicksimus wrote:
I dunno I flew an orca straight out of Tenal 2 months ago, it wasn't a long trip like some make it seem.

Are you willing to do it daily?
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6937 - 2014-10-05 16:35:26 UTC
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
Who will be post 7000?

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Neckbeard Nolyfe
Zero Fun Allowed
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#6938 - 2014-10-05 16:35:51 UTC
Nazri al Mahdi wrote:
uziel99 wrote:
W Sherman Elric wrote:

PL's Manfred Sideous says the same thing. See, this is bringing all of nullsec together!

Let's form the actual blue doughnut for 6 months and burn empire to the ground, pretty please!

You are ********, stop posting.

~lvl 60 paladin~

gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#6939 - 2014-10-05 16:38:46 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:

one thing that no one seems to mention is that after this patch alowing caps to use gates, the unreachable drone regions won't be so unreachable anymore Blink

p.s: they will be just one gate jump away form VENAL
Drigo Segvian
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#6940 - 2014-10-05 16:41:58 UTC
Shayle wrote:
Thank you CCP for having the balls to do this.

For anyone moaning about how tedious it will now be to travel across the map for a fight; that's the whole point! Find a fight closer to home, go reset your standings and destroy your neighbours because you're bored. Let chaos rule again.

For those moaning about not being able to jump bridge across their vast swathe of empty null sec space; that's the whole point! Downsize your sov space so you can move across it to defend it, and let someone else move in next door.

For those moaning about logistics challenges, we managed fine for years without jump bridges and jump freighters (including moving moongoo). Or if it's too much hassle for your alliance to hold half the bloody moons on the map, then don't hold them all - oh wait, maybe that's possibly the point?

How many of you actually remember back to the 2007/2008 era where multiple wars were happening across null sec? Fountain seemed like a million miles from Deklein, and you'd certainly never consider traveling all the way down to catch just for one fight.

Stop crying just because you're ******* lazy.

A voice of reason in the ocean of tears. Big smile