These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5721 - 2014-10-03 16:59:59 UTC
smokeydapot wrote:
Kassasis Dakkstromri wrote:
smokeydapot wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
OK, I've read every post up to page 200, and we're getting to a point in this thread where there's not a lot of new concerns or suggestions being brought up. There will be future threads (and future blogs) as we tune details, but for now I want to thank you for all of your constructive input, and wish you a good weekend :)

yeah thanks for not listening like I knew you would.
You start a **** storm then don’t want to ride it out to the end, You should be made to sit and read EVERY post in this thread then you might get some insight into what you are proposing.

[...]

Still siege green I brought enough strontium for days playing catch up is a *****

Yar! Captain Neckbeard is off to save yer game mates! Pirate *(He ditched us @ page 275)

What a ****** CCP troll to start this post all of what 5 or 6 replies on a 280+ page thread, and claim there's no need to listen any further...

@#$@ you ... you weren't listening in the first place Greyscale!

I hope reindeer naws on your balls while your passed out drunk on a deck chair, and have to take a medical absence you ****!

I'm aware but the strontium is still plentiful and the siege must continue even if ISD are removing some of my posts.

On a side note ( more on topic ) smart bombing battle rorq will be so cool.

Projecting force with industrial ships will be the new thing EvilEvilEvil

I'm all with ya bro - Someones got to spake truthz to Power!

And who knows maybe the sheeple will start to wonder that maybe the bull their being feed isn't as great as they were told it was?!

Null needs fixes 4 sure... but this is one developer trying to make EVE 2 within a live game - and that's Vitleysa!

CCP you are bad at EVE... Stop potential silliness ~ Solo Wulf

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5722 - 2014-10-03 17:00:41 UTC
Lord Road wrote:
Speedkermit Damo wrote:

People are just not logging in any more. Mostly because of what you and the rest of the Blue donut have turned nullsec into.

Proviblock speaking about blue donut and non-combat? Sorry for off-topic but I had to:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

HAHAHHAHA

HAHAHAHA *cough

ok, I'm done now.

Which is why your 40 man gatecamp in R3 ran from 18 dudes the other day?

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5723 - 2014-10-03 17:03:57 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Lord TGR wrote:
Johnny ReeRee wrote:
Many tears from null-bears like PL, GS, and NC: high quality of proposed changes is confirmed!

I'm sure there will minor tweaks along the way, but the outlines of this change are fantastic. Exactly what needs to happen.

Do point out where these "tears" are. Seems to me we're mostly in agreement that it'll be an interesting change, and that the JF change'll probably make it even easier for us to starve out a fortified foe from most NPC space.

Did you miss all the posts about how it will destroy the T2 market and lead to a universe wide moon goo economic crisis?

I seem to remember that being from mostly pubbies, but whatevs.
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#5724 - 2014-10-03 17:04:31 UTC
Lord Road wrote:
What is really striking is that the vast majority of the ones who agree with jump drive castration are hisec miners, occasional missioners and the very elite of the lot have actually been in 0.0 .... once or twice. They have no idea what they're talking about, they didn't cover not even 5% of this magnificent game, but they are enthusiastic just because the ones who actually played the game and have a clue or two are outraged by the useless castration of jump drives with the delusion that this will make the game more dynamic.

WHO WANTS TO BE IN NULLSEC ALREADY IS None of the power blocks prevented this, by contrary, helped.
Null-sec indeed needs adjustments, but not by making it harder to reach.
Spawn NPC systems, now THAT's a great idea , everyone seems to agree with that. Change the way sov mechanics work! GREAT!.

You want to dissolve the big blue donut? Well, forcing people to have all borders covered will surely be on the opposite direction.

Aren't these jump changes just step 1 to inspiring localization though, not endgame of SOV v2.0?

IF CCP follows up however with driving continued conflict at the alliance level based on tying sov directly to ISK acquisition for every front line member, THEN they will really have something.

One way, is to clean the slate on ISK generation in null with broad nerfs, then restore buffs to ISK generation based on alliance-level 'home' systems, and ownership of adjoining systems. Buffs increase for that alliance membership (only) as more systems are taken..inherent conflict driver at the alliance level, and goodbye blue donut.

But it doesn't matter how CCP does it, provided they get that one follow-up thing right. Just cross your fingers the next iterations hit that mark...

IMHO.

F
remus wulf
From Our Cold Dead Hands
#5725 - 2014-10-03 17:05:05 UTC
Eigenvalue wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

OK, I've read every post up to page 200, and we're getting to a point in this thread where there's not a lot of new concerns or suggestions being brought up. There will be future threads (and future blogs) as we tune details, but for now I want to thank you for all of your constructive input, and wish you a good weekend :)

Ah, so CCP gave the player base at large two entire days to think & feedback, so at least we're getting better treatment than the CSM.

yes and if they don't like our comments they will just remove them.

way to go lets hear it for censorship !
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5726 - 2014-10-03 17:05:08 UTC
Eigenvalue wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Ah, so CCP gave the player base at large two entire days to think & feedback, so at least we're getting better treatment than the CSM.

Burn burn burn... Oh BURN!

Oh looksie the Devs in fire (guess the game doesn't matter *shrug) :P

[For the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMskao4xpn8 ]

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#5727 - 2014-10-03 17:05:38 UTC
300 pages will we see 300 pages today?

Good God.

Well at the least, CCP surely hit a nerve.

And there is so much protesting that it's making me wonder if the status quo might have been too comfortable and too easy for too many.

Still, "jump fatigue" strikes me as arbitrary and "magical" as the SOV mechanics themselves.

For the love of God, just let all ships warp around without gates and dump all SOV mechanics. If we are going to shake things up with arbitrary "magic", then let's go Full Monty. The proposed changes are half baked in the wrong direction. Limiting the reach of nullsec assets is the wrong way. Maximize the reach of everybody instead.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

smokeydapot
Moon Of The Pheonix
#5728 - 2014-10-03 17:05:51 UTC
smokeydapot wrote:
smokeydapot wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

yeah thanks for not listening like I knew you would.
You start a **** storm then don’t want to ride it out to the end, You should be made to sit and read EVERY post in this thread then you might get some insight into what you are proposing.

[...]

Still siege green I brought enough strontium for days playing catch up is a *****

Yar! Captain Neckbeard is off to save yer game mates! Pirate *(He ditched us @ page 275)

What a ****** CCP troll to start this post all of what 5 or 6 replies on a 280+ page thread, and claim there's no need to listen any further...

@#$@ you ... you weren't listening in the first place Greyscale!

I hope reindeer naws on your balls while your passed out drunk on a deck chair, and have to take a medical absence you ****!

I'm aware but the strontium is still plentiful and the siege must continue even if ISD are removing some of my posts.

On a side note ( more on topic ) smart bombing battle rorq will be so cool.

Projecting force with industrial ships will be the new thing EvilEvilEvil

I'm all with ya bro - Someones got to spake truthz to Power!

And who knows maybe the sheeple will start to wonder that maybe the bull their being feed isn't as great as they were told it was?!

Null needs fixes 4 sure... but this is one developer trying to make EVE 2 within a live game - and that's Vitleysa!

I also agree that null needs attention but not at the cost of the small guys trying to move to null they are so full of wonder until they are beaten back to high sec with whatever new toys we use. It's a numbers game and sad truth is the null blocks have the numbers the little guys by definition don't have this and will always suffer more so with this....

Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#5729 - 2014-10-03 17:08:19 UTC
Gizan wrote:
As a now casual player, i will be moving all my capitals to lowsec, selling them off, giving my isk to my friends, and quitting the game, because a change like this is the straw that breaks this camels back and stops him from returning to the game.

If you want smaller battles, or less travel, reduce the number of ships or mass that can be used with a cyno. This change limits the small players more than the large players. Coalitions have the time to travel across the galaxy to get to a large fight becasue the TIDI!!!!

20 mins to get across the galaxy is nothing when the system you're trying to get to is under 10% tidi....

Don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.

Seriously, getting across the entire universe in like 4 minutes is stupid. These changes are ******* awesome.
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5730 - 2014-10-03 17:08:40 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Lord Road wrote:
What is really striking is that the vast majority of the ones who agree with jump drive castration are hisec miners, occasional missioners and the very elite of the lot have actually been in 0.0 .... once or twice. They have no idea what they're talking about, they didn't cover not even 5% of this magnificent game, but they are enthusiastic just because the ones who actually played the game and have a clue or two are outraged by the useless castration of jump drives with the delusion that this will make the game more dynamic.

WHO WANTS TO BE IN NULLSEC ALREADY IS None of the power blocks prevented this, by contrary, helped.
Null-sec indeed needs adjustments, but not by making it harder to reach.
Spawn NPC systems, now THAT's a great idea , everyone seems to agree with that. Change the way sov mechanics work! GREAT!.

You want to dissolve the big blue donut? Well, forcing people to have all borders covered will surely be on the opposite direction.

Aren't these jump changes just step 1 to inspiring localization though, not endgame of SOV v2.0?

IF CCP follows up however with driving continued conflict at the alliance level based on tying sov directly to ISK acquisition for every front line member, THEN they will really have something.

One way, is to clean the slate on ISK generation in null with broad nerfs, then restore buffs to ISK generation based on alliance-level 'home' systems, and ownership of adjoining systems. Buffs increase for that alliance membership (only) as more systems are taken..inherent conflict driver at the alliance level, and goodbye blue donut.

But it doesn't matter how CCP does it, provided they get that one follow-up thing right. Just cross your fingers the next iterations hit that mark...

IMHO.

F

I would really like an example of when CCP has actually "get that one follow-up thing right."

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, maybe I was under a rock, but please someone enlighten me and show me the errors of my ways; and that my mistrust is ... well misplaced?

Toriessian
Helion Production Labs
Independent Operators Consortium
#5731 - 2014-10-03 17:08:44 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:

We wake up the day after tomorrow. That's the moral of the story. We wake up. It's not over. The world doesn't end. We just keep going w/out football. A lot of folks really care about and love football, but we can all live without it.

It's the same w/ null power blocks. At the end of the day we don't need them to play eve. If they all instantly vanish there is still a good (many would argue better) game left behind.

My small alliance's operations are effected severely by this change. We're going to have to give up moons (we do have a few moons of lesser value in NPC space) since our JF pilots are going to have a tough time reaching them. Our capitals can't jump like they used to. We're a small alliance this isn't the end of our world. We can adapt to this.

The problem is there are aspects to this change that simply aren't thought through and those are what is hurting my alliance the worst. We're a Black Ops based Alliance. We use Black Ops for both PvE (Prospects are amazing null sec gas miners) and PvP. Personally I've trained 8 characters across 4 accounts to light Covert Cynos. We have max skill black ops bridging characters. Other players have altered training paths to do black ops work and fly recons and light covert cynos themselves.

Its taken a significant amount of time for our small alliance to get to this point, and now we're essentially being told that you should do something else. We're not N3 or the CFC or even the CVA. We don't have the numbers to adapt on a dime.

If these changes stay as is for Black Ops, the fleet can only bridge out and back once with 0 fatigue before delays. I can't tell if anyone in the fleet has more than 0 fatigue to even try to manage it as the FC. This change removes our entire play style. It'd be like CODE losing HS ganking or Marmite finding out they can only wardec one alliance at a time for us. My alliance has to completely re-specialize and at this point personally I'm not certain I'm willing to.

Tears or not, with no changes what is the role of the black ops BS and black ops fleet ships (bombers/recons) after this change? Are we getting SP reimbursement for Cyno 5? Jump Portal Operation on non titan trained characters? Are black ops going to get other unique abilities to make up for the nerf, or are we getting a tank upgrade so they can stand toe to toe with T1 line battleships? This is what I mean about changes not being thought through. Theres no role for an entire class of ships now.

With changes how many bridges/jumps can I expect to make in a day? a week? I'm not against stricter planning on ops but right now its more planning my Black OP (singular) for the week/month.

Every day I'm wafflin!

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#5732 - 2014-10-03 17:08:57 UTC
Null sec will burn eventually, if not for the first few changes to it, then later, If you do not like it that way, move out of it now, sell your ratting carriers and go to High sec, grinding missions like a carebear you are. Bear
Shinron Sakai
Trojan Legion
Domain Research and Mining Inst.
#5733 - 2014-10-03 17:09:16 UTC
I like the changes coming in play. I might be one of a few but I'm all for making space larger. Making getting from point a to point b take longer. Make Jita less important and make living in null more remote. Allow new alliances a chance to attack renter space and be able to take it because we pvp pilots will be damned if we have to fly 45 jumps through gates in dreads to save renter isk we never see. I wanna see renting end. I wanna see battle and fights matter more. I wanna see more isk farming and carebearing happening closer to home so when I roam a fleet I got stuff to kill. I wanna 30+ people in most system I travel though in null.

Its a harsh nerf bat to the balls with the logi side. Maybe a mod for JF and Rorquals to give them an extra LY of jump range would be nice. But overall whats happening in other regions greater then 50 jumps from me should be of no concern. I wanna focus on protect my boarders and playing this game...............It is a game........

Shin
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#5734 - 2014-10-03 17:09:33 UTC
I'm not entirely sure about the idea to allow Supercarriers and Titans through gates as well. Carriers, Dreadnoughts, Freighters and Jump Freighters - definitely. But I think Suppercarriers and Titans should be limited to Jump Drive travel to limit their power projection. On the flip side, I do think at least Suppercarriers should be able to dock at stations.

Thoroughly enjoying the thread so far - wish I had time to read everything.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Tauren Tom
Order of the Silver Dragons
Silver Dragonz
#5735 - 2014-10-03 17:14:10 UTC
To add to the bandwagon unsubbing here... carrier/dread pilot for a couple years now... Already stripping down all my caps and getting ready to resell in null. Check your local markets. And yea, unsubbed 8 of 9 accounts. I'll unsub this one once I get done selling all my now useless caps.

Because no one wants to sit there staring at the fatigue bar, unable to defend what was established, or even change alliances and bring your key selling factor/merc support platform through space when you will be forever going "Why are we only going 25mph in a 65mph?"

Also, did anyone even think of how badly you've now screwed over mercs?
In the grand scheme of things... You're all pubbies. So HTFU.   "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood Blues
eideen
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5736 - 2014-10-03 17:15:27 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Very large fatigue values will take a loooong time to decay, is this too much?
Possibly yes, we'll have a look at this.

Does a titan providing a bridge gain fatigue when people jump through it?
No. Only if the titan itself jumps.

Is the ability to push your fatigue up to really high numbers a good idea?
Probably not, no. We're looking at just capping fatigue at like 1 month or something.

So if I have a lots of titan and unlimted amouts of fuel, you can move very fast?

I think it would be better to limitet it to 24 or a week.
Demeter Corinth
Baba Yagas
The Initiative.
#5737 - 2014-10-03 17:15:28 UTC
It's interesting that a large corporation is stating (in the painfully dry dissertation quoted below) 'This will make us even stronger, therefore I'm in complete disagreement.' The truth is that this will shatter the power blocs that exist. If there is only one attack, on one front, at one time, then yes caches of ships will work as an effective defense.

But multiple attacks, on all fronts, all of the time, and well, a fleet can't be everywhere at once. FCs are not a dime a dozen, and competent FCs will be slim pickens for multiple theaters of war. Smaller fleets, inexperienced FCs, different enemies on all sides and there is a word for that...surrounded.

Small corps and alliances WILL be able to carve out a segment of null as their own, and battles like Akashi (or whatever the system was) will be replaced by small, constant, skirmish warfare, with the occasional constellation grab. Blue donut, enjoy the reign while it lasts.

-D
****Start Dissertation here***

• CFC/PL/{whatever big enough} tears, cry more! etc
  • This has to be awesome, if so many nullsec coalitions are so pissed! We will kill them all and take their space.

Well, at least the last point - that's not going to happen. Why? A lot of ppl probably don't realize this is boosting the defending site even more. Now has the defender the upper hand, after this release.. a lot of null sec regions will turn into fortresses extremely hard to conquer...

Because of the nerf of the jump range, it will be much easier to get defending cap fleets to the battle. While the attackers will need to travel large distance in most of the cases.

The attacking side will need much more effort to bring their fleet into the fight. They will probably need to stage closer exposing themselves to the defending site, which can annoy them more conveniently their staging system:

Example: CFC is now under attack. Attackers are staged in Tartoken. They can pick time when to bridge to our territories and they are safe at Tartoken, because it is low sec, it is quite far away and it would be extremely boring to camp nearby system and it would take significant effort to do that.

After the update, they will need to go closer to get to our home system quickly enough to not give us time to do the large formup preventing them to do their job. And then they will need to travel by gates in our territory WO ability to hit us instantly where it hurts.

... but... but ... It will be harder to keep your large empires running!
Yes, this is true. The logistics is already boring... because we need to transfer huge amounts of stuff. But we will do it, it will be just "Extremely annoying 101". Probably more JF alts will be required -> more accounts. It could be CCPs intention to boost their income from subscription fees.

But your capitals will be limited considering the distance they can jump!
Yes, it is again true. But there are many options for nullsec coalitions with huge income to bypass that simply by creating caches of ships... more jump clones... etc. In fact, this update is significantly increasing their importance. We don't need to be afraid of getting hotdropped so we can safely deploy caps to the fights while having an eternity to get them safe if needed - before the enemy cap fleet will get even half the way to us.

Projection of force - Conclusion

I think that this change will only help to preserve the current status quo. Large coalitions won't attack themselves in the full scale war because the attacking side would risk losing its regions when staged on the other end of the map - or they will need much more effort to keep them safe while being staged.

The small guys will be just beaten to death when trying to attack.

Capital pilots and supercapital pilots

It takes really a long time to train character to fly them effectively, so a lot of guys will be mad about it. Some SP reassignment after all planned changes will be announced would be probably handy. So this pilots would have an option to get rid of their cap skills and use them as they wish. - - It would be fair if presenting so significant nerf.

We can expect even more cap and supcap usage for the everyday matters like ratting, plexing etc. The fear of being hotdropped will be really lowered - for the coalitions with the large territories. The small guy will be here beaten again. While holding only small space next to someones borders you will be likely hotdropped while all the ratting supers/caps in the deep blue territories will be near to completely safe.

JF nerf - aka produce your stuff locally

I really agree with intention behind this change. I really support manufacturing things locally and not transporting them from jita making milk runs - and this will get really harder, more time consuming -> discouraging ppl to do it.

Yes! But please first think about providing us with resources so we can do it WO need to import them from jita.

Small guys in 0.0...

A lot of small groups living in null sec will be unable to supply their towers or ppl because of the JF (and carrier) 5LY jump range. In many cases they will need to go through enemy territories and even worse - in some cases through territories held by one of the large coalitions, making themselves a juicy target to kill. Again, the small guy takes one for the team. Large coalitions can provide easily 100+ protection fleets for the milk runs, small guy can't.

How to help them:
It could be interesting to provide new rigs allowing carriers jump to original distances WO fatigue, but with really significant impact in the carrier abilities -> tiny dps, significantly lowered HP, no remote reps, not removable for at least 48hours - it will prevent to project force and carriers have too small cargo for the needs of large coalitions.[/quote]
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#5738 - 2014-10-03 17:16:47 UTC
Lord TGR wrote:

I seem to remember that being from mostly pubbies, but whatevs.

See here https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=376666&p=269

I assume Goonwaffe is not yet a pubbie? Also look at the very 1st page of this thread!

Quoting Alp Khan (of Goonwaffe!)

"Industrialists and logisticians are more likely to just relocate to empire than having to deal with the nightmare you seem to be having a wet dream about. Or worse, they'll just quit playing.

You are exceptionally naive if you seriously think that forcing logistics to face risk even from a small gang is going to make them smile and force them into offering multi billion haulers as sacrificial lamb for you. Scarcity of materials will become a reality. If not that, logisticians will start pushing their losses onto the end consumer. These will all negatively impact everybody's ability to attain T2 goods, which are consumed EVERYWHERE.

Your overtly simplistic expectations are adorable, but unrealistic. Economics, production and logistics do not work like that."
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#5739 - 2014-10-03 17:17:50 UTC  |  Edited by: X Gallentius
So in summary:

Having strategic assets will be move at a strategic pace is good. (You didn't see the Atlantic Fleet being able to warp across the planet to defend Pearl Harbor from attack.)

The question remains as to whether or not Jump Freighters and Blops, and any other number of ships are strategic assets and should be forced to travel at the same pace of operations as strategic assets.

Is a JF a strategic asset? Probably not.
Are stealth bombers strategic assets? No.

Putting JF's on fatigue schedule likely has to do with other in-game objectives. It would be nice to see some people give thought to how they will work around limits on JF service. Our corp/alliance is looking into moving compressed ore via cloaky hauler and building our large volume items (ship hulls, cap boosters, etc...) on-site and not ship them in from Jita. Other mods are still going to be shipped in but in cloaky haulers. In fact, it'll probably put less strain on our logistics guys doing it this way since you can haul more ship's worth of minerals in a cloaky hauler than you can haul ships in a JF.

Will large volume items have to be built locally? Is this a bad thing if they are?
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5740 - 2014-10-03 17:18:16 UTC
smokeydapot wrote:

I also agree that null needs attention but not at the cost of the small guys trying to move to null they are so full of wonder until they are beaten back to high sec with whatever new toys we use. It's a numbers game and sad truth is the null blocks have the numbers the little guys by definition don't have this and will always suffer more so with this....

It's EVE though - punishing or axing emergent content created BY PLAYERS and not CCP, because of high SP veteran characters having gotten there first - that's also wrong.

I think players that understand the game are in a far better position to advise and consent via the CSM, rather than a 'ah this looks good... now lets go grab a beer!' and OP-Crush-It-With-A-Viking-Hammer development style.

Again, LONG LIVE THE OLD DEVS! I miss 'em!!!