These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

My EVE

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Who's a carebear?

First post
Author
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#21 - 2011-11-24 10:16:43 UTC  |  Edited by: I Love Boobies
Hi, my name is I Love Boobies, and I am a Carebear. Should I feel guilty for being a Carebear? No more so than being a Prat, or the most effective PvPer in Eve Online, even a Scammer for what it's worth. Eve Online is a game that caters to all styles of play, so why should people care about how others play?

It's actually quite humorous when people rush to the forums and declare people are playing the game wrong. Play the game how you see fit, don't worry about others and how they feel about your style of game play. The true Carebears are the ones who worry or complain about the play styles of others. Just play the game, have fun. Smile
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2011-11-24 10:20:15 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:
Hi, my name is I Love Boobies, and I am a Carebear. Should I feel guilty for being a Carebear? No more so than being a Prat, or the most effective PvPer in Eve Online, even a Scammer for what it's worth. Eve Online is a game that caters to all styles of play, so why should people care about how others play?

It's actually quite humorous when people rush to the forums and declare people are playing the game wrong. Play the game how you see fit, don't worry about others and how they feel about your style of game play. The true Carebears are the ones who worry or complain about the play styles of others. Just play the game, have fun. Smile

You can play any way you want ... but when you start screaming that a game originally designed to be conflict driven (and ruthlessly so) should now give you an option to avoid conflict ... well, that's when I tell you you're playing the game wrong. Yes.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#23 - 2011-11-24 10:26:30 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
I do have 10 Ishkur's sitting in Villore (I think), out near Old Man Star, ready for me to PvP in. I just never feel like I'm ready enough for it.

Risk adverse much?
You can PVP in a frigate with about 2 weeks worth of SP, in RvB or elsewhere. I know, because I have done this several times.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2011-11-24 10:28:15 UTC
Psychophantic wrote:
This isn't UO and you aren't living in Trammel.
I quit when Trammel was introduced. The carebears had won. I moved on to EQ, the Rallos Zek server, the only PvP server EQ had at release. I only play MMOs on PvP servers, even if I am not particularly good at it.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2011-11-24 10:29:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Poetic Stanziel
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
I do have 10 Ishkur's sitting in Villore (I think), out near Old Man Star, ready for me to PvP in. I just never feel like I'm ready enough for it.
Risk adverse much?

You can PVP in a frigate with about 2 weeks worth of SP, in RvB or elsewhere. I know, because I have done this several times.

Averse.

And yeah, you can, if you want to get blown up constantly. You don't learn much when your Incursus is completely T1 fit and you're going up consistently against T2 fit ships.
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2011-11-24 11:10:07 UTC
The way I see it, the word "carebear" implies that you think we actually care about other people. And by that definition, I'm not at all a carebear. I don't care about other players, except the ones in my corp, and I couldn't care less about what happens to others, neither in-game nor in real-life.

But then again, I just don't know how to care.

By the pirates' definition, I'm a carebear and I'm happy with it. I don't get a thrill out of shooting someone else. Last time I was in low-sec, my pulse was even racing, even though I was cloaked and at a safe(r) spot.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#27 - 2011-11-24 11:38:45 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Risk adverse much?

Averse.

And yeah, you can, if you want to get blown up constantly. You don't learn much when your Incursus is completely T1 fit and you're going up consistently against T2 fit ships.

This is because you suck. You suck because you just will not accept any advice. Also, you were told on your blog that a Meta 0 fit would DIAF (you admitted you could use T2, but didn't) but ignored the advice and did it anyway, then gave up after one ******* day instead of trying to adapt. You then redacted your blog posts.

n.b. my RvB alt had 850k SP and took 35kills for 6 losses.

So, yes. You are actually too risk averse to learn.

You moaned and whined and bitched about E-Uni ... yet if you had spent the same amount of time actually learning from them, you may have learned that shield boosted bombers are terribly, terribly fail.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#28 - 2011-11-24 11:40:37 UTC
Wondering which part you will selectively quote to continue the attention whoring.

+10 points if you can link it to your blog.

Oxylan
Blood Fanatics
#29 - 2011-11-24 11:44:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Oxylan
Remember most carebears living in null space, also they pseudo super pvpers... 80% of those people farm feat NPC on asteroid bells 24/7 after hardcore farm they buy some ships like cheap intercepttors and they do pvp,,, one pvp like one hour roam give to them around +20 assist on kill mail, they have awesome kill ratio,,,

If it bleed we can kill it.

Prince Kobol
#30 - 2011-11-24 11:59:07 UTC
@OP - Who died and made you god?

Every time you post its always about how YOU think the game should be played, what rules YOU think should be enforced, what changes YOU want to see made.

Ever stop to think that maybe nobody here gives a **** what YOU think

Eve Uni really did a good job making you bitter and twisted didn't they.

Just for this Eve Uni should be immune to everything :)

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#31 - 2011-11-24 11:59:49 UTC
The OP's fourth paragraph sums up the carebear situation pretty nicely, I'd say.

OP, you're obviously at peace with EVE's inherent nature, and are therefore not a carebear. However, your inferiority complex is making you extremely ineffectual in relation to the pvp aspect of this game. Like others have said, you don't need much to get started. You can have a great Rifter setup with less than a million skill points, and believe me, with some combat experience you will be able to beat deadspace-fit T2 frigates flown by missionbear lolpilots who see you as easy pickings and think they can teach you a lesson after you steal from their cans/wrecks.

You need to get out of your shell and stop doubting yourself. Skills will come with practice, but practice won't come without effort.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2011-11-24 12:02:19 UTC
The true definition of carebears?
'Elite PVP' SC blob hotdroppers.
Nowhere else in EVE you will find so little risk.

At least in a Level 4 you can lose your drones or ship if you fall asleep.
Written Word
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2011-11-24 12:03:18 UTC
You are a care bear because instead of actually engaging in any sort of PvP to damage or even harass your in-game enemies, you resort to crying and whining non stop. In fact, you are the absolute worst type of player to have in this game, the type who will whine and cry until their face turns blue rather than even attempting to use the resources in the sandbox.

I can't say this loud enough. Get the **** out.
Prince Kobol
#34 - 2011-11-24 12:09:04 UTC
Written Word wrote:
You are a care bear because instead of actually engaging in any sort of PvP to damage or even harass your in-game enemies, you resort to crying and whining non stop. In fact, you are the absolute worst type of player to have in this game, the type who will whine and cry until their face turns blue rather than even attempting to use the resources in the sandbox.

I can't say this loud enough. Get the **** out.

FFS.. now the OP has me agreeing 100% with somebody from TEST

Captain Mastiff
#35 - 2011-11-24 12:11:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Mastiff
Lady Spank wrote:
If you don't PVP you are a carebear. I wouldn't worry about it enough to make a thread about it though unless you feel guilty.

I see....

So all I need to do is go into a blob fest once in a while and heavily out number my opponent in low sec whilst they are ratting belts in their cormorant and I am no longer a carebear? ... score!

In all seriousness it's just a silly phrase people throw around, Eve has more ego than apple users it's hard not to be labelled as something.

On the other hand...

Written Word wrote:
In fact, you are the absolute worst type of player to have in this game, the type who will whine and cry until their face turns blue rather than even attempting to use the resources in the sandbox.

Waaahh waaahh waaah Cap ship changes waaaa waaaa waaaah 0.0 nerfing.... oh my god CCP stop ruining null sec omg omg omg. Doesn't ring a bell?

Destiny Corrupted wrote:
The OP's fourth paragraph sums up the carebear situation pretty nicely, I'd say.

OP, you're obviously at peace with EVE's inherent nature, and are therefore not a carebear. However, your inferiority complex is making you extremely ineffectual in relation to the pvp aspect of this game. Like others have said, you don't need much to get started. You can have a great Rifter setup with less than a million skill points, and believe me, with some combat experience you will be able to beat deadspace-fit T2 frigates flown by missionbear lolpilots who see you as easy pickings and think they can teach you a lesson after you steal from their cans/wrecks.

You need to get out of your shell and stop doubting yourself. Skills will come with practice, but practice won't come without effort.

I started reading that and thought... they're right... until they made out that their idea of PvP is preying on mission runners by stealing their cans and baiting them into a fight... Just look at the risk you are taking! I think I'd pass out... "PvP" in high sec against bears? Sounds even more bearish than just running the mission.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#36 - 2011-11-24 12:27:16 UTC
Captain Mastiff wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

I started reading that and thought... they're right... until they made out that their idea of PvP is preying on mission runners by stealing their cans and baiting them into a fight... Just look at the risk you are taking! I think I'd pass out... "PvP" in high sec against bears? Sounds even more bearish than just running the mission.

I was trying to make a different point, but since that's the way you chose to interpret those words, allow me to just go ahead and calmly ask for some elaboration as to whether or not U MAD BRO?

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#37 - 2011-11-24 12:27:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Spank
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Risk adverse much?

Averse.

To be honest, even if you diaf for your first 20 fights you still learn an absolute ton, and it feels less shameful the sooner you do it. Dont feel you have to have the best equipment either, just fit cheap and effective and take out some cocky interceptors in your 3m isk ishkur. Before rigs were a realistic possibility on frigs this cool guy from the Bastards (General Coochie) made a vid killing bad people in interceptors by flying a 800k isk incursus with cheap meta modules (meta 3 or lower). http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadid=1017792

that was my inspiration and how I got started.

If you solo PVP you more or less have to expect to blow up a lot.... or maybe I really am just dreadful. I'm hardly risk averse though, that can raise your survival rate but makes for very boring roaming and you still die to remote sebo camps or cheap traps just the same.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Ghoest
#38 - 2011-11-24 12:52:53 UTC
I spend much (probabluy most )of my time in lowsec and 0.0 but I almost never shoot at anyone but people try to catch me a lot.
I dont consider that being a carebear.

Think a carebear is someone who game experience based on their playstyle would be improved if there was no PVP in EVE.

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Captain Mastiff
#39 - 2011-11-24 12:54:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Mastiff
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

I was trying to make a different point, but since that's the way you chose to interpret those words, allow me to just go ahead and calmly ask for some elaboration as to whether or not U MAD BRO?

I'm cool calm and collected, there isn't an ounce of anger in me, I ain't even mad. It's hard not to interpret those words in the way I did when the only relation to PvP in your post was against mission runners. Though I better watch out you're clearly elite at what you do...

Ghoest wrote:
I spend much (probabluy most )of my time in lowsec and 0.0 but I almost never shoot at anyone but people try to catch me a lot.
I dont consider that being a carebear.

Think a carebear is someone who game experience based on their playstyle would be improved if there was no PVP in EVE.

The irony of 0.0... but yeh I some what agree there is risk which is the warfare aspect and I guess the reward is being able to farm sanctums etc.

I think your definition is pretty spot on. I do honestly think the only group of people who fall into this category are mission runners. A trader can sit in a station and trade all day or once every few days but what drives his market is the PvP kills and losses and removing PvP would almost destroy his business. As far as I can tell there is only really mission running that can entirely be done without interacting with anyone. When I first started Eve I spent 6-7 months running missions in fact after first 2 months I was in a CNR with a faction fit after that I literally never spoke to anyone for another 4 months.
Written Word
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2011-11-24 13:01:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Written Word
Captain Mastiff wrote:
Waaahh waaahh waaah Cap ship changes waaaa waaaa waaaah 0.0 nerfing.... oh my god CCP stop ruining null sec omg omg omg. Doesn't ring a bell?

True.

Its a miracle you even found this thread amidst the pages and pages of whine threads about TEST and myself in particular crying about the nerf to our absolutely massive super capital fleet.