These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Response Regarding SOMER Blink Concerns

First post First post First post
Author
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#61 - 2014-08-20 20:00:04 UTC
Well done all. Good stuff. Much faster than I expected!

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2014-08-20 20:00:29 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
So as to appease the people accusing sites like CrossignZebras.com, EVENews24.com, TheMittani.com etc. as well as tossing in EVE focused YouTube channels.

Is the promotion of using an Amazon referral link to buy PLEX, which would give a small percentage based kickback to the referrer a violation of any of CCP's policies? For example, I run the YouTube channel YouTube.com/UbaStij and after doing a video on say "How To Align Like A Pro" I mention there is an Amazon link in the description which leads to Amazon's store to buy a PLEX. I state "buying a PLEX through this Amazon link will help keep me operating this service for you the consumer." Is that permitted?

What if I operated the channel with several underlings who were compensated for their contributions in ISK and not through real money? Is it still permitted to promote purchasing through our Amazon referral link to maintain our overhead costs?

I know this has been answered previously, but some people make the assumption that doing so is no different than the scheme Somer Blink tried last year and this time around and I'd like to have CCP's stance. CSM can weigh in if they want but considering they aren't actually the policy makers it's not going to win people over in my assumption.

Ridiculous. You want fair than yeah you should be banned siggy creators should be banned killboards should be banned. They get isk and have an account business related. The EULA clearly states you can't have an EvE account or play EvE for business purposes. Do I think thats right? No. But its the rules so if were going to **** SomerBlink than everyone should get ****** equally for that is justice.
corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2014-08-20 20:01:03 UTC
Well I'm very happy with the result and the fact its been sorted in under a week.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#64 - 2014-08-20 20:01:27 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
As Falcon said that there is no proof of RMT you can figure it out yourself.

Where did he say that?

Adrie Atticus wrote:
Wrik Hoover wrote:
CCP should ban anyone who played Somer Blink in the last month, because they were activly helping someone to RMT.

Get out of my game u pay2win scum, ur ruining my gaming experience.

Did you even read what Falcon posted?

There was no evidence of RMT.

Did you? There is no such claim in the post. All they're saying on the matter is that “[they] will not comment on whether any such violation actually occurred.” This is per usual for RMT investigations.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#65 - 2014-08-20 20:01:29 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
111010110 wrote:
So, what about the Markee Dragon element in all of this?

That is, in fact, not what he said.

CCP Falcon wrote:
We will not comment on whether any such violation actually occurred.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Angelica Scatterbrain
WH United
#66 - 2014-08-20 20:01:37 UTC
Can't have anyone knowing what really goes on behind the curtain, therefore permaban. Good job CCP.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#67 - 2014-08-20 20:01:58 UTC
In before the Inevitable Internet Lawyers start coming out.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#68 - 2014-08-20 20:02:06 UTC
Edward Harris wrote:

Btw, if you want to be official about it - do you see any disclaimer in those statements? I know we use them in our company.

Even if there was, those disclaimers are pretty much worthless anyway
Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2014-08-20 20:02:11 UTC
Karbowiak wrote:
Whats up with the CSM circlejerk? lol Lol

What kind of Comrades of Stellar Meetings would we be if we didn't march in step?

On twitter @siggonK

Shinnyo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2014-08-20 20:02:32 UTC
So now that he's banned, can CCP give us an idea of how much ISK and ships were removed from the game? :D
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2014-08-20 20:03:16 UTC
When does the ban take affect?
bacon lettuce tomato
#72 - 2014-08-20 20:03:23 UTC
This entire thing is like a parody of actual important people getting worked up over something that doesn't really matter at all, in the real world.

LolLolLol
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2014-08-20 20:03:29 UTC
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
Karbowiak wrote:
Whats up with the CSM circlejerk? lol Lol

What kind of Comrades of Stellar Meetings would we be if we didn't march in step?

Bunch of ******* tools who don't care about the community, your just puppets for CCP to use as a scapegoat when they do **** people don't like to use you as a visage of what the community wants is a fallacy that needs to be purged from this game
CCP Manifest
CCP Retirement Home
#74 - 2014-08-20 20:04:04 UTC
DexterShark wrote:
It looks to me like CCP Falcon just delivered a 3-day masterclass in community crisis management. Good work, chief.

Not to take away from Falcon's heroics as the coordinator, but it was a group effort here at CCP, with the CSM, and of course with the players who were discussing all the different angles.

I don't want that last part to be lost in all this. To the Communications Team (Community and PR), it is very important to see dialogue flowing between players even if they are on opposite sides of the aisle. Thanks for posting. Wherever you did, there's a darn good chance my eyeballs and others read it during the course of the investigation.

Now for a nap.
I'd cuddle with Falcon, but he's across the ocean.

OK nap time over, back to regularly scheduled programming.

======== o7 _CCP Manifest | Public Relations and Social Media | @ccp_manifest_

Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2014-08-20 20:04:15 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Load of crap Somer did nothing to hurt the health of the community and you all at CCP know it. Goodjob ******* a service the a huge player base has loved. Unsubed again.

If you REALLY want to give away your isk through gambling, there is iwantisk.com which appears to do similar things.
Marsha Mallow
#76 - 2014-08-20 20:04:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Sion Kumitomo wrote:

We've been waiting for spoon throwing competitions for ages now, make it happen P

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#77 - 2014-08-20 20:04:52 UTC
More encouraging news on this issue -- I want to give my sincere thanks to CCP for handling this issue in the correct manner, and wish them the best of luck seizing all of the assets which have undoubtedly been squirreled away and otherwise hidden from view as you extinguish somer from the game.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

The Darwin Initiative
#78 - 2014-08-20 20:05:29 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Adrie Atticus wrote:
111010110 wrote:
So, what about the Markee Dragon element in all of this?

That is, in fact, not what he said.

CCP Falcon wrote:
We will not comment on whether any such violation actually occurred.

Which isn't just understandable. It's the right thing to do here. This is one of those situations (again) where in-game bleeds back and forth with out of game, the commercial aspect as well.

You can't be surprised that folks will try to assert their own narrative from that though :P Stockholm Syndrome in Space.
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2014-08-20 20:05:48 UTC
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
Load of crap Somer did nothing to hurt the health of the community and you all at CCP know it. Goodjob ******* a service the a huge player base has loved. Unsubed again.

If you REALLY want to give away your isk through gambling, there is iwantisk.com which appears to do similar things.

Theres is such a sham its disgusting somer was far more community driven and ticket prices far more reasonable on most items
Annie Getyourgun
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#80 - 2014-08-20 20:05:50 UTC
With the discussion of referrals and third party retailers fresh on the minds of many, will this open up internal discussion of changing the way referrals work?

I understand the theory behind referrals is to help community sites (such as Dotlan, or EVE University with their Wiki) offset costs of operation, something that CCP wishes to do as it helps both with exposure of the product as well as makes the community a richer place.

So with the elimination of ETC and the movement to PLEX exclusively, what is stopping a change in referral links to act the same way 21 day trial referrals work? I want to support a community site, and when I click on their referral link, I am directed to the EVE Account Management page, where I can purchase a PLEX and the referring site gets credit for their referral. What is preventing this scenario from becoming reality?