These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Burner Missions: -1 :(

Author
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2014-08-15 13:54:59 UTC
A misspelt T1 EWAR cruiser of the green paint hull variety.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#42 - 2014-08-15 14:01:34 UTC
afkalt wrote:
A misspelt T1 EWAR cruiser of the green paint hull variety.

*frigate

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#43 - 2014-08-15 14:03:54 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:

What the heck is a malus?

This may be dated but, http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Gallente_Basic_Ship_and_Skill_Guide#Maulus

Does damping even do anything to NPCs?
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2014-08-15 14:03:55 UTC
Indeed.

Apparently 7 coffees isnt enough to shrug off this tiredness.

I'll get my coat.
Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2014-08-15 14:10:38 UTC
after reading the dev blog my first thought was "Oh god please YES!" my second thought? "I can't wait to start losing ships against these burner missions"

if you don't want to do it, don't. Me, I like challenges and will enjoy going boom until I figure these out, at which time I'll enjoy making the red + go boom
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2014-08-15 14:11:33 UTC
They should make you go suspect tbh
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2014-08-15 14:18:32 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:

What the heck is a malus?

This may be dated but, http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Gallente_Basic_Ship_and_Skill_Guide#Maulus

Does damping even do anything to NPCs?

Specifically on damps, I've never noticed a difference (same with tracking disruptors). Other E-war does work. Especially jams. Thank Bob for jams!

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#48 - 2014-08-15 14:54:34 UTC
1 frigate behind an acceleration gate.

Bet that took some doing.

Not today spaghetti.

Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#49 - 2014-08-15 16:03:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Altirius Saldiaro
Coyote Laughing wrote:
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/size-matters-introducing-burner-missions/?_ga=1.109167175.370378389.1405686458

Well, I've taken a look at the new burner missions and all I can see is it a way to isolate me from logistics and lose an expensive frigate when I get disconnected (which seems to be happening a lot lately with the DDOS attacks, even assuming I can log back on at all).

Level 4 missions are a slow grind on your own, which is probably why they are bringing them in, but until I get to run them and see if they get the difficulty right, I can't address any specific concerns.

Salvage and bounties are a big part of the payoff and a motivation to form up in fleets, usually with a dedicated salvage ship following behind - which frigates don't do such a good job at.

All I can see this being is another solo grind without the rewards that make it worthwhile.

Unless the mission texts are very explicit about there being no penalty to refuse it, then there are going to be people caught out.

If it has some even more difficult dumb objective to complete on top of the combat, then I can see people not only losing their expensive frigate, but standings when they fail as well.

I'd rather blitz 3s in a battlecruiser, get in, get out, grab my LP and continue - all I can see is being a frustrating meat grinder that chews through ship after ship until you complete it.

Then dont fly an expensive frigate. If you cant beat an NPC without logistics, then you're not good enough to do burner missions. In which case, just cancel them and go back to the slow grind.

Nay sayers will be the ones who just want to farm and do not want a challenge.
Heinrich Erquilenne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2014-08-15 17:17:52 UTC
Meh that's underwhelming. I don't get all the excitement about small ship stuff but I guess some people might enjoy that. I'm more concerned about easy LPs acquired extremely fast. I'm also pretty sure everyone will fly bombless bombers just to insta pop the npc, loot the wreck and bail out. So long for the attempt at bringing some diversity.

On the other hand I wish they spent some time creating missions for capships like dreads and carriers. This isn't something I can fly yet and that would make an excellent long-term goal. Something frigs aren't. That's just the boring small ship you leave as soon as you can (at least for me).
Scout Vyvorant
Doomheim
#51 - 2014-08-15 18:13:06 UTC
Heinrich Erquilenne wrote:
Meh that's underwhelming. I don't get all the excitement about small ship stuff but I guess some people might enjoy that. I'm more concerned about easy LPs acquired extremely fast. I'm also pretty sure everyone will fly bombless bombers just to insta pop the npc, loot the wreck and bail out. So long for the attempt at bringing some diversity.

It's a pity torpedoes will do very little damage against said frigates. You know, signature, explosion radius and explosion velocity have not been removed yet from the game.

On the other hand I wish they spent some time creating missions for capships like dreads and carriers. This isn't something I can fly yet and that would make an excellent long-term goal. Something frigs aren't. That's just the boring small ship you leave as soon as you can (at least for me).

Pve missions for carriers exist already, they are the level 5 missions located in low sec that people afk out on daily basis on their carrier.

PvE content should be avaible to everyone, and not located in low sec. Mixing pve content with pvp content usually never work out. Unless you want to hit sitting ducks in pve fit with your pvp fit ship
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#52 - 2014-08-15 18:16:37 UTC
I watched the stream last night and CCP were laughing about how hard these are going to be Big smile

They fully expect the npc's in them to collect a long list of kill mails, maybe they should publish the kills?

As for farming them apparently there are 5 which are just going in the pot with the rest of the level 4's. Just like others, you might get one twice a week, but then you might get one every couple of weeks( i'm talking about someone who does missions 3 or 4 times a week, not full time grinders)

It should be fun.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Heinrich Erquilenne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2014-08-15 18:27:34 UTC
Scout Vyvorant wrote:

It's a pity torpedoes will do very little damage against said frigates. You know, signature, explosion radius and explosion velocity have not been removed yet from the game.

Pve missions for carriers exist already, they are the level 5 missions located in low sec that people afk out on daily basis on their carrier.

PvE content should be avaible to everyone, and not located in low sec. Mixing pve content with pvp content usually never work out. Unless you want to hit sitting ducks in pve fit with your pvp fit ship

Fortunately most of these frigs will use a MWD. Enjoy the increased signature radius. :)

I'm not talking about lvl 5 because I don't like lowsec either. It's just not a place for me since I live in null. The rules of engagement bother me quite a bit. LVL 5 don't require cap ships either. You could do them with 4-5 battleships with a couple of logistics watching their back. So lvl 5 are irrelevant. They're just not convenient to find and don't really require dreads and stuff like that.
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2014-08-15 18:36:03 UTC
A well fit Tengu can run LvL 5's pretty well.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Rezan Tepet
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#55 - 2014-08-15 18:50:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Rezan Tepet
Like someone mentioned about Incursions, I give it sub one week before there's threads/webpages/etc posting the right fits to do these guys in the most efficient manner possible, solo if it's at all conceivable.

Kind of the shaft PvE devs get stuck with: making a foe that's all "COME AT ME, BRO" hard enough to merit a challenge while not breaking any established expectations of the game. And maybe it's cliche, but I've always liked the Ewar/Logi/3DD build of every other MMO out there. Just...don't give them "taunt" mechanics.

So let's enjoy it for the first week whilst we figure it all out.

[EDIT] Suggestion: If burner missions work, maybe we'll see "small gang NPC" missions in the future? Kind of like how pirate-hunting should be (i.e. "Look! There's a small number of miscreants harassing that outpost! Let us wasteth thine hulls!" as opposed to, "Look! There's a whole fleet of pirate ships, with crews totaling several hundred if not thousands of dudes chilling at yon hub of pleasure. Let us commit what in any civilized pre-EVE Gate nation would surely be war crimes!")

oaramos: |oh-WAR-uh-mohs| _n. — _Term given to early Caldarian wormhole explorers. From Rataani language; literally, "Wave-jumper."  _adj. — _[see: "moss" "mossy"] slang— crazy, insane

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#56 - 2014-08-15 18:51:10 UTC
Prospector Monk wrote:
Cipher Jones wrote:
Goldiiee wrote:
Burner Missions are 100% optional. There will be no standings penalty for turning down or failing these missions. Your friendly neighborhood security agent knows that not every capsuleer will have the equipment or skills to take on these missions and won’t be offended if you decline.

LP value reduction however will be mandatory, another example of CCP ******* mission runners in the ass.

They wont quit until it takes a 100m sp character 100 hours to grind a PLEX in hisec.

How would LP loose its value? Nowhere is it stated lp is rewarded. Also there's a chance of faction drops which will lower the value of factionmods which is very good. This change will maybe lower the value of pirate lp stores, but prob not by that much. So farming crystals will still be profitable Blink

Also my main has 90 mil skillpoints and makes a plex every 5 hours running lvl 5's solo. And that's not even fast.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4912381#post4912381
CCP Fozzie wrote:
We're still tuning the rewards, but expect them to be a bit more LP focused then ISK focused, since there won't be tons of NPCs for us to distribute bounties onto.

also lv5s is a lowsec activity. and anyways considering how fast people can run lv4s already burner missions don't seem like they will change all that much.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#57 - 2014-08-15 19:19:42 UTC
Prospector Monk wrote:
Cipher Jones wrote:
Goldiiee wrote:
Burner Missions are 100% optional. There will be no standings penalty for turning down or failing these missions. Your friendly neighborhood security agent knows that not every capsuleer will have the equipment or skills to take on these missions and won’t be offended if you decline.

LP value reduction however will be mandatory, another example of CCP ******* mission runners in the ass.

They wont quit until it takes a 100m sp character 100 hours to grind a PLEX in hisec.

How would LP loose its value? Nowhere is it stated lp is rewarded. Also there's a chance of faction drops which will lower the value of factionmods which is very good. This change will maybe lower the value of pirate lp stores, but prob not by that much. So farming crystals will still be profitable Blink

Also my main has 90 mil skillpoints and makes a plex every 5 hours running lvl 5's solo. And that's not even fast.

By creating yet another faucet for LP, thats how. Coupled with several reductions in loot, income is way down from 2 years ago. PLEX is way up. If both trends continue, subs will drop even more.

If the chance of faction mods dropping is in fact enough to make their prices drop, PLEX prices will rise.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#58 - 2014-08-15 20:20:06 UTC
Gringing PLEX is comparable to the loot treadmill in other games. The key isn't to complain about how hard it is for you to grind a PLEX. The key is to get off the treadmill.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#59 - 2014-08-15 20:25:33 UTC
Hakaari Inkuran wrote:
Gringing PLEX is comparable to the loot treadmill in other games. The key isn't to complain about how hard it is for you to grind a PLEX. The key is to get off the treadmill.

Play how you want and let others play how they want.

Every single thing in life ever is grinding. Its how you go about it that defines you.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Paranoid Loyd
#60 - 2014-08-15 20:26:54 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Every single thing in life ever is grinding. Its how you go about it that defines you.

What a miserable outlook on life. Ugh

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!