These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion Feedback Thread] Wormhole Effect Rebalance

First post
Author
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#201 - 2014-08-14 18:45:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Maybe show me a graphic that shows chimera losses in pulsars are lagging behind archon losses in the armor bonused wh. With the facts provided it honestly looks like you're trying to move pulsars from severe.ass.beating to inescapable.total.hell.death.

Fozzie, explain the logic using the provided graphs. Please.

Trinket - I've been flying shiel bhaals for several years. You don't see them on kb because they don't lose. To quote a friend "the real magic happens after you add the 6th cpr"

I would love to see ISK value in chimeras killed in pulsars v ISK value of archons in well pretty much all other space including k-space lol - I can think of 3 pulsar chimera losses alone that total ~200bn between them (by the prices at the time). You don't see people doing that in many other areas of eve.

Wouldn't reccomend shield bhaals - though I'm still scratching my head as to how its possible but I've seen 300+K EHP BS single shot by revelations (even wrecking shots shouldn't be that high alpha) let alone moros in C5 pulsars and shield bhaals die stupidly fast to 2-3x dreads even with triage reps to many times not even webbed down or target painted with good transversal.
Axloth Okiah
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#202 - 2014-08-14 19:36:32 UTC
Rroff wrote:
I can think of 3 pulsar chimera losses alone that total ~200bn between them
come again? Shocked
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#203 - 2014-08-14 20:06:08 UTC
Axloth Okiah wrote:
Rroff wrote:
I can think of 3 pulsar chimera losses alone that total ~200bn between them
come again? Shocked

Check Phoenix Gold's losses - just one example of a couple of people I know who have lost ridiculously expensive chimeras - even the ones goons threw around in my old WH J115933 weren't cheap or the people who had it between us leaving and goons moving in.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#204 - 2014-08-14 23:18:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Serendipity Lost
Before we get caught up in who lost the most expensive chimera...

I'd like to know why they are nerfing the effects in the wh w/ the most player losses. I think it's a pretty good question.

http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/66374/1/WormholeEffectActivity.jpg

shield bhaals are cap stable - which i like. I'll be honest - I use them as bait in null and for the occaisional carrier we get. We don't roll for caps and take on 4 dreads. Those aren't fights we are looking for or could handle. I would imagine in a larger engagement w/ multiple dreads they are teh screwzors. For what we do they are prefect. It's perspective for sure.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#205 - 2014-08-14 23:49:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Before we get caught up in who lost the most expensive chimera...

Wasn't about who has lost/killed the most expensive chimera it was that pulsars tend to be good hunting ground for bling fit shield ships (by my reckoning even more than you find in any armor or normal effect system armor or shield) and taking away some of the reasons that happens isn't really a good thing IMO.
Klarion Sythis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#206 - 2014-08-14 23:59:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Klarion Sythis
It's not so much of a nerf to Pulsars as it is providing a viable counter to the shield capitals that reside in them. A well fit Phoenix or Chimera is a flying fortress in those systems and takes quite a lot to bring down, especially if you super pimp it, which is viable with the bonuses there. I'm a big fan of Pulsars, but the neut bonus was probably needed to tone down the more extreme situations.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#207 - 2014-08-15 00:29:16 UTC
Klarion Sythis wrote:
It's not so much of a nerf to Pulsars as it is providing a viable counter to the shield capitals that reside in them. A well fit Phoenix or Chimera is a flying fortress in those systems and takes quite a lot to bring down, especially if you super pimp it, which is viable with the bonuses there. I'm a big fan of Pulsars, but the neut bonus was probably needed to tone down the more extreme situations.

And yet we're discussing mega isk loss in chimera kills.

So, becuase the chimera can be difficult to kill CCP is is putting the nerf bat to the backside of the deadliest (player losses from their graph) place to hang out????

This is looking more and more like armor fleets (the mainstay of wh pvp) have trouble w/ pulsars, so please ignore actual loss data, pick out some 'extreme situations' (your words not mine) to justify being able to double whack a chimeras capacitor? By the way you just totally fooked all the other ships in the pulsar too. A simple geddon will be able to render bassi and scimmi totally useless.

Maybe take your eyes off the chimera that the magician is pointing to and look at what is really going on.

For those that aren't super graph savvy, if you delete the rarely used black hole stats from the comparison the pulsar becomes even more lopsided in how many players lose their ships there with respect to the others, but is still on par w/ npc kills with the others (well, magnetar kills will rocket up pretty high, but that's another discussion no one seems to want to have)

I think some of the adjustments are more about pandering to the squeeky wheels than trying to even out the wh data.

OMEGA REDUX
Last Resort Inn
#208 - 2014-08-15 00:53:09 UTC  |  Edited by: OMEGA REDUX
Joraa Starkmanir wrote:
It may need more logi that current, but not more than in a "no effect" hole, so it looks likda balanced there.

About that station question, my own thought when i heard the answer was that replacing POS with smaller/destructable station would be a possibility. The question itself be to the wrong guy tho, for all i know he have nothing to do with either station or POS work (dissclaimer, to lasy to hear the whole thing again to make sure i get it right)

Then you might as well move into a no effect so you dont have to deal with the self rep penalty or gimped logi fits that are much easier killed than logi fits in a no effect. Sure you can fit around it but those fits would never be able to stand up to a pvp fight if one occurred while you were running sites even thou you had fitted for your system you are still out classed by any halfway decent pvp fleet as all they would have to do is jam your gimped logi (with no eccm because countering the effects won't let you fit it) and point people, the sleepers would do the rest. And before someone says the pvp fleet would have the same issues, they wouldnt need to bring dps, just reps, jams, and points that's it. So for them bringing in extra logi to make up for the effect is not nearly as big a deal.

He didn't say anything about them being made into stations just pointed out we have deployables and POS's are getting some sort of change. That's all fine and dandy but I wasn't asking about deployables or POS, I was asking about stations (and i highly doubt they will be making POS's THAT similar to stations IF they ever do redo them). And if he isn't the guy to ask then why not just say "I don't know" instead of going off on some other direction. I'm just a little butthurt that I had this really awesome moment of being one of the handful of questions from others that got asked and then the answer being out in left field and frankly a waste of a question at that point since he didn't actually answer it.
Klarion Sythis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#209 - 2014-08-15 00:56:25 UTC
I don't remember seeing anyone actually ask for changes to pulsars, even given the fortress level capitals that can reside there. If you deck a capital out in officer mods people can and will go to the necessary efforts to kill it. So, I don't even know who CCP would be pandering to.

That being said, I still consider this reasonable and interesting. Yes, the neuting will be heavier, but it doesn't totally negate subcaps or something. Just use Ishtars and scimis and stay out of neut range. Or the Hamgu/Scimi combination I references earlier. You can still use basis, just stay at range and make sure things that neut get webbed so they can't close range on your logi.

Also, you said "double whack" the chimeras capacitor, but perhaps I'm just not understanding the term. The neuting is stronger, but so is the regen...so it's just providing an option to effectively apply capacitor warfare.

Armor fleets are still going to be horrible in pulsars...a neut bonus did not change that.

Nothing about pulsars makes them deadlier to a player. It's a tank system. It helps you both with raw EHP (that can result in passive regen tank) and capacitor. If a ton of people are dying there, it's because of some other factor like it being a popular system for PVE players who get hunted. Definitely not because of the system bonuses.
Klarion Sythis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#210 - 2014-08-15 01:01:17 UTC
OMEGA REDUX wrote:

Then you might as well move into a no effect so you dont have to deal with the self rep penalty or gimped logi fits that are much easier killed than logi fits in a no effect. Sure you can fit around it but those fits would never be able to stand up to a pvp fight if one occurred while you were running sites even thou you had fitted for your system you are still out classed by any halfway decent pvp fleet as all they would have to do is jam your gimped logi (with no eccm because countering the effects won't let you fit it) and point people, the sleepers would do the rest.

The logi fits aren't necessarily gimped, but they're definitely going to require rethinking. If you send in your standard 4/2 Guardian, then yes, that ship is no longer ideal for this system. So consider an Oneiros, or better, go with a shield doctrine where you can happily fit some CPRs without sacrificing tank, ECCM, prop mod, or anything else you want in those mids.

Again, if you or anyone else wants to move out, go for it, but it's not going to be because the system is broken, it's going to be because you didn't want to adapt.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#211 - 2014-08-15 01:53:51 UTC
Klarion Sythis wrote:

Nothing about pulsars makes them deadlier to a player. It's a tank system. It helps you both with raw EHP (that can result in passive regen tank) and capacitor. If a ton of people are dying there, it's because of some other factor like it being a popular system for PVE players who get hunted. Definitely not because of the system bonuses.

Something in pulsars does make them deadlier to a play. The graph clearly shows that. My real point is I'd like an answer on why they are getting nerfed if they are already the least survivable. I really don't see how it matters if it's popular for pve (which based on the npc kill graph isn't so - magnatar is popular).

Like I said, I've read all the 'fortress chimera' stuff. I get the sentiment, but the neut bonus doesn't only apply when neuting a chimera. It clobbers every cap in an already hard to survive in wh.

Maybe all the losses are because pulsar dwellers are extra bad at eve. I'm not sure how any justification for the higher losses matter. I think the fact that it's where all the ships are being lost AND STILL CCP sees a need to nerf it. In the pulsar change it speaks only to capital capacitor recharge rates and doesn't aknowledge subcap ships.

Taking a second look at the graphs

It just doesn't add up. I'm asking Fozzilicious to explain this nerf that defies his set of graphs.
Klarion Sythis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#212 - 2014-08-15 01:59:17 UTC
Well, hopefully Fozzie answers you then, but correlation doesn't equal causation as they say.

Maybe the high rate of deaths are all the bads who don't pay attention to what hole they're in, then die in a fire because they brought an armor fleet. Whatever the reason, I don't think it's something that means a neut bonus is out of line.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#213 - 2014-08-15 02:22:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Serendipity Lost
My analysis of the graph they posted but I fail at linking.

Black Hole
- a lot of nothing happens here. it's a deserted alley that pilots cut through to get from here to there
-what needs to change - there's so much in the way of ideas out there - have at it ccp

Cataclysmic Variable
-not a lot going on in here either.
-what needs to change -Probably nothing - there are only sporadic complaints about carrier spider tanks.

Magnetar
- a lot of pve happens here (note the big blue bar), but not a lot of pvp (note the little red bar)
- a lot of total events logged - folks living here pve hard then rage roll hard for pvp
-what needs to change - the ability to alpha ships from range w/ tier 3 battle cruisers as soon as they jump in would move pvp into magnatars so maybe they wouldn't need to rage roll into other systems for pvp.

Pulsar
-abover average pve and way above average pvp losses
-this is the wh that magnatar/wolf rayet and red giant denizens roll into to pvp (successfully based on the big red bar)
what needs to change - double cap regen rates so these poor guys have a chance (OK j/k)
what really needs to change - probably nothing - If fortress chimera occaisionally wins... it's probably a good thing.

Red Giant
-median pve, not many losses and a lot of total events
-pve isn't optimal (reference magnatar) but is servicable
-these guys also role for pvp
-what needs to change - I like the bomb angle - I hope it adds more pvp to this type of wh

Wolf-Rayet
-above average pve
-minimal losses and lots of rage rolling
-might attribute fewer pvp losses to wh effects lining up w/ the armor doctrine that most wh corps maintain.
-what needs to change - probably nothing. It's got the highest activity so what's not to like?

Overall Dr. Lost prescription: Black holes have been over debated for years, so not going there. Magnetars - if you take away the ability to alpha things before a fight gets going I think pvp would pick up a bit. Slaughter house.... er... Pulsar - don't nerf pvp there - seriously wtf? I would let pulsar/cataclysmic variable/wolf-rayet alone and see how the other changes ballance out your little graphs. Then take the next step.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#214 - 2014-08-15 02:45:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Serendipity Lost
Klarion Sythis wrote:
Well, hopefully Fozzie answers you then, but correlation doesn't equal causation as they say.

Maybe the high rate of deaths are all the bads who don't pay attention to what hole they're in, then die in a fire because they brought an armor fleet. Whatever the reason, I don't think it's something that means a neut bonus is out of line.

I think pulsar pvp loss is high for a couple of reasons.

High end, no one likes to jump into a magnatar and get alpha'd by tier 3 bc, ishtar sentries or whatever - being alphad as you uncloak is not a fun form of pvp. I feel pvp doesn't happen in magnatars because of alpha.

Wolf-rayet - I would say good fights happen just a lot of stalemate because it wh boni help the armor doctrine survivablity. I'm not sure that needs to change. Higher amount of fights, but fewer losses.

red giant and cataclysmic - if you don't live in them then it's tough to figure out how to have a bigger fight. Armor/shield bonus are straight forward, so it's easy to fight there. The more difficult to get your arms around bonus in these 2 wh I think my move the fight elsewhere to some degree.

It's pretty easy to see from the graphs that magnatar, red giant and wolf-rayet are the rage roller wh and that black hole and cataclysmic are the least used holes.

I would think overall though, it's kind of... I dunno.... not so sane to nerf pvp in the wh that is way ahead of the others in pvp losses. It's crazy lopsided already - why make it easier to get kills in there. (I'm starting to think you like to pull the wings and legs off of flies for fun)
Destroyer Chappy
Doomheim
#215 - 2014-08-15 05:53:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Destroyer Chappy
This will affect fleet strength and tactics when PVP occurs

but since PVP is usually non-consensual it will have little direct effect on how often PVP occurs in any given wh system.

Poor WH farming conditions leads to empty systems when a roam group passes through.
Instead improved farming conditions in a WH system means a better chance farmers will get into PVP with intruders.

Or you can make a system a bottleneck in travel routes especially for trade. Frequent travellers in system especially rich convoys may lead to WH "gate camps".

P.S. Yeah environmental conditions can make a system less desirable to farm and especially to permanently settle and defend.

But bad environment can be countered by more, richer, or unique sites to be farmed.
Destroyer Chappy
Doomheim
#216 - 2014-08-15 06:11:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Destroyer Chappy
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Klarion Sythis wrote:

High end, no one likes to jump into a magnatar and get alpha'd by tier 3 bc, ishtar sentries or whatever - being alphad as you uncloak is not a fun form of pvp. I feel pvp doesn't happen in magnatars because of alpha.

Wolf-rayet - I would say good fights happen just a lot of stalemate because it wh boni help the armor doctrine survivablity. I'm not sure that needs to change. Higher amount of fights, but fewer losses.

red giant and cataclysmic - if you don't live in them then it's tough to figure out how to have a bigger fight. Armor/shield bonus are straight forward, so it's easy to fight there. The more difficult to get your arms around bonus in these 2 wh I think my move the fight elsewhere to some degree.

It's pretty easy to see from the graphs that magnatar, red giant and wolf-rayet are the rage roller wh and that black hole and cataclysmic are the least used holes.

I would think overall though, it's kind of... I dunno.... not so sane to nerf pvp in the wh that is way ahead of the others in pvp losses. It's crazy lopsided already - why make it easier to get kills in there. (I'm starting to think you like to pull the wings and legs off of flies for fun)

Can you really tell wh system environment type before anyone jumps into it? :)
I bet fleet pass through black hole systems often enough but just do not find any targets lingering there very often.

I can see why a weaker roam fleet might not continue into a system after scout reports conditions and stronger forces. But
I think PVP fails to occur more often when no one is there now and its boring to hang around doing nothing while hoping for a weaker fleet to pass through. Worse if its unfavorable/costs more to farm any sleeper sites yourself.

Instead WH PVP roam fleets try to find a WH settler fleet weaker than they are to ambush (miners, solo sleeper site farmers, etc) ...or if the PVP fleet has lots of buddies they just call up enough friends to make up difference in conditions and defense fleet.

Pulsars likely have high PVP because they are easy for shield fleets to farm and give owner shield fleet confidence to settle due to environmental defensive bonus. So anyone coming there has a much higher chance of finding someone active there now to PVP.

Plus honestly many PVP fleets are about tears & other PVP fleets just do not deliver many compared to Orca, Rorqual or carrier kill.
OMEGA REDUX
Last Resort Inn
#217 - 2014-08-15 10:42:38 UTC
Klarion Sythis wrote:
OMEGA REDUX wrote:

Then you might as well move into a no effect so you dont have to deal with the self rep penalty or gimped logi fits that are much easier killed than logi fits in a no effect. Sure you can fit around it but those fits would never be able to stand up to a pvp fight if one occurred while you were running sites even thou you had fitted for your system you are still out classed by any halfway decent pvp fleet as all they would have to do is jam your gimped logi (with no eccm because countering the effects won't let you fit it) and point people, the sleepers would do the rest.

The logi fits aren't necessarily gimped, but they're definitely going to require rethinking. If you send in your standard 4/2 Guardian, then yes, that ship is no longer ideal for this system. So consider an Oneiros, or better, go with a shield doctrine where you can happily fit some CPRs without sacrificing tank, ECCM, prop mod, or anything else you want in those mids.

Again, if you or anyone else wants to move out, go for it, but it's not going to be because the system is broken, it's going to be because you didn't want to adapt.

So current black hole isn't broken just no one wants to adapt? Or maybe it is broken and that's why so very little happens in one and this change to CV will end up breaking CV. And since I live in a CV I'm pretty good at adapting (considering every time one of us says we live in one the average response is "why would you live in a CV?". There are not enough mid slots to rethink a guardian fit and basi is slightly more cap hungry as is and that will be even more pronounced with a nerf to ET. Oneiros and Scimitar don't work very well in sites due to their cap getting alpha'd by the sleepers on a cap esc and their much easier ability to get nueted in pvp, and yes that is even with the increase to cap capacity. Do you really think we haven't sat down tried to figure work arounds to these changes? I personally EFT warrior as a way to pass the time inbetweeen pvp/pve and I've been doing so now. On that note which do you think is easier EFT warrioring until you find a fit that works or fighting an uphill battle to stop bad changes from being done?...not to mention I'm not a big fan of writing to begin with. The end result is Fozzie is gambling on people out there figuring out some magical fit that works in his proposed changes, however the slots these ships have simply do not allow such a thing to happen. You must devote so many slots to tank and soon so many slots to cap regen, once you have done that there simply are no slots left over for eccm or AB and ANY logi with no eccm or AB is a gimped logi.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#218 - 2014-08-15 12:43:50 UTC
Destroyer Chappy wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Klarion Sythis wrote:

Can you really tell wh system environment type before anyone jumps into it? :)
I bet fleet pass through black hole systems often enough but just do not find any targets lingering there very often.

I can see why a weaker roam fleet might not continue into a system after scout reports conditions and stronger forces. But
I think PVP fails to occur more often when no one is there now and its boring to hang around doing nothing while hoping for a weaker fleet to pass through. Worse if its unfavorable/costs more to farm any sleeper sites yourself.

Instead WH PVP roam fleets try to find a WH settler fleet weaker than they are to ambush (miners, solo sleeper site farmers, etc) ...or if the PVP fleet has lots of buddies they just call up enough friends to make up difference in conditions and defense fleet.

Pulsars likely have high PVP because they are easy for shield fleets to farm and give owner shield fleet confidence to settle due to environmental defensive bonus. So anyone coming there has a much higher chance of finding someone active there now to PVP.

Plus honestly many PVP fleets are about tears & other PVP fleets just do not deliver many compared to Orca, Rorqual or carrier kill.

So I looked you up on the kb and couldn't find you. Then I looked your corp up on kb and could barely find them. My point... please don't state theories on stuff you really know nothing about. A lazy forum reader my mistake what you say for something of value. You belong to a fw corp that doesn't really pvp. You want to comment on wh stuff.... come be a wh guy and your opinions will be valued.
Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#219 - 2014-08-17 14:44:52 UTC
CVs are being evacuated by everyone.
C4's are being evacuated by bears.
C4's are being moved into by PVP corps.
WR's are highly sought after, even more so now (people are just bitching to throw everyone else off the scent)

BH's...not sure what the trend is here, but I can only predict activity, and occupancy, goes up.

This is for two reasons. Number one, 100MN Tengus become sorta viable for PVE, and look good on paper for PVP. Everyone loves their Ishtars, but it's not much fun having enemies scoot out of your drone control range inside 10 seconds. Plus, lel, scooping drones (especially Warriors) is impossible above C3 BH.

The nerf to web effectiveness is just stupid, there I said it, thanks for making this Nightmares and 100MN Tengus all the way down. Except you had to put it in, didn't you Fozzie, to reduce blap dreads?

And when you get to the top end of town, in C5 BH's, blap Phoenixes everywhere. Mark my words, the NPC kills in C5 and C6 BH space is going to go off the charts. It doesn't matter if web effectiveness is less when you have uber Citadel Cruise Phoenixes flooding 8 dreads at a time into sites. TP's are unafffected.

In fact, it's almost laughable how many moros and Naglfar are going to be put on the market by the people moving in to C5 BH's because the ineffectiveness of the webs will render them pointless. Especially in PVP. Whereas the Cruise Phoenix will reign supreme.
Nike Andedare
Diamond Command
#220 - 2014-08-17 23:54:24 UTC
When you scan down a wormhole, would it be possible that when the signature gets into green (>75% strength), that instead of the type saying Unstable Wormhole, it would change to the wormhole's code, IE Cosmic Signature, Wormhole, Z971.

It would be nice if it always gave the non-K162 code, but I would be okay with seeing K162 as a type.