These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why does it cost ISK to Research and Manufacture in the POS?

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#81 - 2014-07-27 06:25:59 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
At some point CCP will figure out that creating a perception that the rewards are increasing for some security sectors and decreasing in others will lead people to move in that direction just doesn't work. But hey, I will let the numbers speak for me.

The numbers show that near no industry happens in null. How is it bad that CCP are fixing industry so that there is a reason to leave highsec?
Maduin Shi
MAGA Inc
#82 - 2014-07-27 07:52:24 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
Pretty good clarification. Thanks.

However, I still think that the old blueprint holders have a significant advantage - at least by having blueprints that probably already stepped beyond the "high-bar" that new researchers are not willing to invest above. Especially when there are copies of those high quality blueprints flooding the market after copy speed changes.

Yes, they do. We had a straight-up trade-off: we could make the blueprint economy more stable in the long run, and nerf everyone's blueprints in the process to varying degrees, or we could accept we're giving a lot of people a leg up but ensure that people are generally getting a good deal in the short term. Our general tendency is towards the longer-term play, but in this instance we were already making seismic changes to industry gameplay, and we were concerned that a straight-up blueprint stats nerf would cause enough additional negative sentiment to discourage large numbers of industrialists and prevent the feature as a whole gaining momentum out of the gate, which could have significant negative consequences for anyone who likes to buy things. We don't like doing short-term-oriented changes but in this case the risk of "damn the torpedoes" was that they might actually sink us.

You should have refunded the SP for the ME skill. Then you would have had the leverage to just nerf the pre-Crius BPOs. Since most everyone who messes with BPOs had ME V. Now we have, effectively, T2 BPOs redux and a useless replacement ME skill for casual industrialists. Battles could have been selected more wisely. Moreover, because I hate artificially un-level playing fields, its rather apparent I won't be getting into high-end BPO research or production for a long, long time unless I can milch BPOs off of someone who is quitting Roll
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#83 - 2014-07-27 08:31:16 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nexus Day wrote:
At some point CCP will figure out that creating a perception that the rewards are increasing for some security sectors and decreasing in others will lead people to move in that direction just doesn't work. But hey, I will let the numbers speak for me.

The numbers show that near no industry happens in null. How is it bad that CCP are fixing industry so that there is a reason to leave highsec?

Nullbears, hah

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#84 - 2014-07-27 09:23:46 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Oh, and as to the "this extra cost hurts me", that should cancel out economically, because everyone's paying the same extra cost in a given location so prices ought to rise accordingly.

So you are artificially creating inflation, forcing consumers to grind more ISK in order to pay for stuff and devaluing ISK in the process... and all that is accomplished not with player actions, but with bad balancing of the new game mechanics. I'm not saying there shouldn't be taxes, I'm saying that there shouldn't be insane taxes of hundreds of millions of ISK just to research a blueprint (and this is measured in an uncontested/empty system - these are minimal prices... average prices are measured in billions for a single blueprint). It looks and feels like Incarna has been zombified.

Another thing worth mentioning is a perfect combo of significant research time increase (for capitals it's measured in months) and significant copy time decrease, which tremendously helps players (or entities) with collections of already researched blueprints over players who are starting to venture into industry. It would be interesting to see some statistics of which entities hold the most of researched (especially capital) BPOs, because I smell favoritism.

Basically, with this expansion you have revived three of the biggest mistakes you made in the past:

1. Prices utterly disconnected with reality
  2. T2 BPO fiasco... What? Are you going to pull the old "Buy it from the market" mumbo-jumbo for researched BPOs now? Aren't players supposed to discover what game has to offer in a natural way - by buying the BPOs from NPCs like we did for the last decade and actually researching them without being heavily penalized and investing months more in research than the current BPO holders? And all that happens while the current researched BPO holders can print copies faster than ever.
  3. Potential player favoritism, but that one should hang in the air without being confirmed until you publish the actual statistics. It sure looks like favoritism.

I'm not saying that the new system is inherently bad, I'm saying that you failed miserably in the balancing department.

I didn't know you were running for Dinsdale's 'least educated, most ridiculous posts' job. I have a lot of BPOs and I'm pretty sure I 'lost' more ISK due to the pruning of all my over-researched BPOs than I have 'gained' from not having to pay ISK for the research. It's still not much of a bigger deal to research capital BPOs than it was before, unless you want perfect BPOs, in which case the time investment is still ridiculous, as is the ISK cost. You can always buy the ludicrously underpriced BPOs on contracts ;).
E6o5
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#85 - 2014-07-27 09:25:33 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Just woken up so not reading the whole thread (I know, I'm awful), but:

Ultimately, you're paying fees in your starbase because that's the balance tradeoff for unlimited slots for everyone. If we take slots away we need some form of substitute (pseudo-)scarcity so that everyone in the universe doesn't just build in Jita 4-4, which would be bad for various reasons but primarily because it removes a whole lot of interesting decisions and makes the rest of the map an industrial wasteland, which is not a thing we want.

but i can't setup a pos in jita ... so what do costs in pos have to do with slot removal in stations?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#86 - 2014-07-27 09:42:26 UTC
Perimeter 5-2, I guess.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

XTbe
Drake Interplanetary Inc
#87 - 2014-07-27 11:52:26 UTC  |  Edited by: XTbe
Hi,

I didn't read through the whole post so sorry if this already was discussed (in this or other threads)

I think it should be possible to partially research ME. If you go in the higher levels you need e.g. pay 2 Bil ISK.
It would if you could spread the costs and not have to pay the whole amount at one time. This would allow a player to spread the costs.

If you're doing quite some research this would be very helpful.

In order to make it no too complicated when introducing this feature i wouldn't mind if the ME efficiency only comes in effect when the complete level is researched (so no taking into account decimals like e.g 9.4 researched) In the future it could idd be implemented that the decimals are taken into account.

I also think there should at least be some substantial financial advantage to do research at a POS instead of a NPC station given the "risk" you take and the ISK it takes to run a POS.
Chi'Nane T'Kal
Interminatus
#88 - 2014-07-27 12:47:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Chi'Nane T'Kal
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Yes, they do. We had a straight-up trade-off: we could make the blueprint economy more stable in the long run, and nerf everyone's blueprints in the process to varying degrees, or we could accept we're giving a lot of people a leg up but ensure that people are generally getting a good deal in the short term. Our general tendency is towards the longer-term play, but in this instance we were already making seismic changes to industry gameplay, and we were concerned that a straight-up blueprint stats nerf would cause enough additional negative sentiment to discourage large numbers of industrialists and prevent the feature as a whole gaining momentum out of the gate, which could have significant negative consequences for anyone who likes to buy things. We don't like doing short-term-oriented changes but in this case the risk of "damn the torpedoes" was that they might actually sink us.

Again, in deciding for the short term goal, you poisoned the BPO market for YEARS.

Why did you even combine the changes?
You could easily have let everyon settle in on the removal of slots and once they did you should have made the BPO changes- with a long term outlook.

It's amazing how you guys always underestimate a lot of your playerbase's tendency to abuse every single loophole you leave them. The procurer market has still not recovered from production pre Retribution, is noone actually paying attention to stuff like that?

Did you at least SAVE the pre conversion BPO information somewhere, so that you can at some point when you feel more commfortable with that come back and convert those BPOs to something they SHOULD be?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#89 - 2014-07-27 15:08:46 UTC
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
The procurer market has still not recovered from production pre Retribution, is noone actually paying attention to stuff like that?

Aww yeah, Procurers.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#90 - 2014-07-27 15:22:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:
Did you at least SAVE the pre conversion BPO information somewhere, so that you can at some point when you feel more commfortable with that come back and convert those BPOs to something they SHOULD be?

And what “should” they be?

Oh, and how has this change “poisoned the BPO market for YEARS”?
Pheusia
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#91 - 2014-07-27 15:24:48 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:

Maybe, but the experience of what happened with a series of huge buffs to hi-sec leading to a grossly imbalanced population distribution will be a pretty big barrier to that 'understanding'.
Maduin Shi
MAGA Inc
#92 - 2014-07-27 16:23:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Maduin Shi
Tippia wrote:
Chi'Nane T'Kal wrote:

And what “should” they be?

Oh, and how has this change “poisoned the BPO market for YEARS”?

He's referring to the high-end/capital build-from-BPO market. No ME 10 BPO = you cannot compete now. You can get an ME 10 BPO through research still, but at the cost of billions and months/years per job. Expensive enough to not be worth it. And ME 10 BPO owners WILL undercut you out of the market, i.e. effective monopoly for current builders who read the forums (you know, dev post buried on page 10 saying if you put BPO job in research through the patch you get a magical ME 10 BPO pop out, among other excellent examples) and prepared accordingly, etc.

I suppose similar circumstances would apply to the equivalent BPC market as well.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#93 - 2014-07-27 16:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Maduin Shi wrote:
He's referring to the high-end/capital build-from-BPO market. No ME 10 BPO = you cannot compete now. You can get an ME 10 BPO through research still, but at the cost of billions and months/years per job. Expensive enough to not be worth it. And ME 10 BPO owners WILL undercut you out of the market, i.e. effective monopoly.

So not the actual BPO market, but a rather minute subset, and by “for YEARS” he means “for a couple of months” (which isn't that much different from before).

As for the competition (and I'll grant you that the the market hasn't adjusted its prices fully yet so the numbers may change over time) the industry interface currently estimates a build cost of, say, an unresearched Archon without any kind of facility bonuses to ~1.2bn… which is obviously a lot more than the lowest sell price on EVE Central of 1.4bnohwait.

I suppose that if those numbers remain true, the whole “not worth researching” sentiment might hold true, in a way… P
Maduin Shi
MAGA Inc
#94 - 2014-07-27 17:00:10 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Maduin Shi wrote:
He's referring to the high-end/capital build-from-BPO market. No ME 10 BPO = you cannot compete now. You can get an ME 10 BPO through research still, but at the cost of billions and months/years per job. Expensive enough to not be worth it. And ME 10 BPO owners WILL undercut you out of the market, i.e. effective monopoly.

So not the actual BPO market, but a rather minute subset, and by “for YEARS” he means “for a couple of months” (which isn't that much different from before).

Its anybody's guess but considering how valuable these ME 10 BPOs are now, I would lean toward the former.

Tippia wrote:

As for the competition (and I'll grant you that the the market hasn't adjusted its prices fully yet so the numbers may change over time) the industry interface currently estimates a build cost of, say, an unresearched Archon without any kind of facility bonuses to ~1.2bn… which is obviously a lot more than the lowest sell price on EVE Central of 1.4bnohwait.

Anecdotal description of a single item market doesn't really provide the information necessary to make the buy/research/build decisions. Any market can spike or crash and make everyone profitable/unprofitable but I would say in general there are easier ways to bank 200 mil vs. building and selling a capital.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#95 - 2014-07-27 17:12:32 UTC
Maduin Shi wrote:
Its anybody's guess but considering how valuable these ME 10 BPOs are now, I would lean toward the former.
It's not really a guess. It's how long it takes to fully research one of those BPOs (and then we really need to discuss whether that last single percent is worth it… especially on these low-n component blueprints).

Quote:
Anecdotal description of a single item market doesn't really provide the information necessary to make the buy/research/build decisions.
Same here: it's not really anecdotal. It's what the in-game mechanisms and the market export data reports. As for making bank, the point is that if these are the margin you see with an unresearched BPO and no bonuses, it won't take long to earn back the research cost, which really casts some doubt on the claim that it wouldn't be worth it.

But sure, a carrier might not be the best example — they have far too many component requirements that are so low that research hardly makes any difference to begin with.
Keyran Tyler
Bionesis Technologies
#96 - 2014-07-27 18:55:46 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Pretty good clarification. Thanks.

However, I still think that the old blueprint holders have a significant advantage - at least by having blueprints that probably already stepped beyond the "high-bar" that new researchers are not willing to invest above. Especially when there are copies of those high quality blueprints flooding the market after copy speed changes.

Keyran Tyler wrote:
Did you considered that we play industrial precisely because we appreciate to be able to control and predict the outcome of our operations? A sandbox with rules changing constantly is not funny.

Yes, and this was another big tension throughout development. We have been trying to make industry more fulfilling by increasing the number of decisions that are made, but we're still waiting to see how many people want their industry to be fulfilling vs just want to make low-mental-effort money for various reasons. The hope is that, as the system starts to really pick up and run, people figure out where the optimizations are and we fine-tune a few things, a strong core of industrially-minded players find the new status quo keeps them strongly engaged and creates an interesting landscape for everyone else to play in, industrialist or otherwise. If it doesn't work out, we'll need to reassess.

There is also, though, a degree to which this is representative of one of the fundamental driving forces of EVE: we know that players know that the optimal setup requires perfect stability, and we try really hard to ensure that stability can never quite be achieved, because at that point you've won and the game is essentially over. I'd also like to protest that the rules of the system are entirely static: what's changing is the landscape, which is entirely driven by the action of other players, and to us that's the absolute heart of "the sandbox" in a multiplayer context. It's not interesting because you're allowed to go off and play in your own corner without regard for anyone else, it's interesting because the actions of other players keep throwing up interesting new challenges, be that through direct PvP combat or extremely indirect market dynamics. A static game gets soved and a solved game has no longevity.

Thank you for replying, your point of view is much clear now. I'm supporting your intention to make the game more attractive and fulfilling.
I still think there is something wrong with POS. System index cost is a very good idea for station and outpost but for POS it's a weird design. Let me do an analogy.

In real life you are owning a field, an house, and choose to build a swimming pool. You pay materials, fitter, water, chimical, maintenance, town tax, tax everything you buy ... and enjoy the pool every time you want!
With your system, it's like I put a steward next to your swimming pool, and you need to pay every time you want to use it. Of course the price is adjusted according to the use that all your neighbors are doing of their own pool. Without forgetting public pool.. It's sound like communist system?

So with POS, if I'm paying about 400M for a month of fuel, it was mainly to not depend of station slot availability. Now, we have just a poor bonus on required time and materials. It's not enough to compensante the price of fuel and risk-taking now imposed for the BPO.
I don't have a good solution to provide but I think you need to compensate more that nerf on POS.

Capital BPO need to be fixed too, time and price of research is a joke...
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#97 - 2014-07-27 19:00:29 UTC
Keyran Tyler wrote:
So with POS, if I'm paying about 400M for a month of fuel, it was mainly to not depend of station slot availability. Now, we have just a poor bonus on required time and materials. It's not enough to compensante the price of fuel and risk-taking now imposed for the BPO.
I don't have a good solution to provide but I think you need to compensate more that nerf on POS.
Have you checked to see if you really need that large a POS?

Quote:
Same here. Have you checked to see what benefits you gain from pushing the really high levels?
Keyran Tyler
Bionesis Technologies
#98 - 2014-07-27 19:24:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Keyran Tyler wrote:
Have you checked to see if you really need that large a POS?

With old system yes, because slots was limited, we needed more labs. Now only one of each type. I guess for industrial side only we can use medium size.
But new eden has not changed and is still plenty of children killer. I'm pleased of these big gun checking the grid. Security side said we are good with large size.

Quote:
Quote:
Same here. Have you checked to see what benefits you gain from pushing the really high levels?

No but many did, like this one and some others in feedback and issues thread.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4844889#post4844889
http://oi60.tinypic.com/wwi729.jpg

Old system require about a month for upgrading Me, one point by one point. Now you need to let your bpo and one slot stuck for 200+ day. Regardless of the interest to do so or not, it's crazy to do and I don't think there is someone ready for this.
For comparison, build a titan need about 52 day only to complete the hull..
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#99 - 2014-07-27 19:55:48 UTC
Keyran Tyler wrote:
With old system yes, because slots was limited, we needed more labs. Now only one of each type. I guess for industrial side only we can use medium size.
But new eden has not changed and is still plenty of children killer. I'm pleased of these big gun checking the grid. Security side said we are good with large size.
Fair enough. It's just that, with a bit of planning and forethought, you can get by on a lot less than before, onlining and offlining modules as needed. If there are many producers using the same POS, you'd obviously have to set up some kind of ordered production cycle to make everyone march in sync. I've seen an awful lot of assumptions that a large POS is still the “must have” size, when you can get away with (far far) less now.

Quote:
No but many did, like this one and some others in feedback and issues thread.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4844889#post4844889
http://oi60.tinypic.com/wwi729.jpg
That seems to have more to do with how much they lost in the transition than how much you may or may not lose by researching your blueprints.

The thing is that, for a large number of the more hard-researched BPOs, you don't get any benefit* from that precious ME10. The component requirements are exactly the same as for ME9 — hell, some are even the same as for ME8. The one detail that makes me add that asterisk is the presence of Teams. At ME10, you can occasionally get some build benefits from a -1% team ME bonus… but that assumes that you have the team to begin with and even then, you're looking at an improved margin that can be counted in a few tens of millions.

So when people get all up in arms about how long it takes and how much it costs to get a capital BPO to ME10, I have to ask: is it really worth spending that time and money solely for the benefit of spending even more time and money on bidding and then paying for the team bonus? It often seems like the Ghost of Perfect MEs Past is still live and well, and is still making people do irrational research for highly questionable benefits.

…and, hell, if you do it right, the costs aren't even that high, and the time is getting slashed a fair bit next week. Just over 100M for a dread; half that for a carrier, and a bit over 300 days (soon to be closer to 250) if you absolutely want to max it out.
Maduin Shi
MAGA Inc
#100 - 2014-07-27 20:09:48 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Maduin Shi wrote:
It's not really a guess. It's how long it takes to fully research one of those BPOs (and then we really need to discuss whether that last single percent is worth it… especially on these low-n component blueprints).

It now takes hundreds of days, generally, whereas pre-patch it was, as the above poster noted, about a month. So we have automatically the privileged group that has the last % in-hand regardless of whether or not it is worthwhile to have it (usually it is) which was my point.

Tippia wrote:
Maduin Shi wrote:
Anecdotal description of a single item market doesn't really provide the information necessary to make the buy/research/build decisions.
Same here: it's not really anecdotal. It's what the in-game mechanisms and the market export data reports. As for making bank, the point is that if these are the margin you see with an unresearched BPO and no bonuses, it won't take long to earn back the research cost, which really casts some doubt on the claim that it wouldn't be worth it.

But sure, a carrier might not be the best example — they have far too many component requirements that are so low that research hardly makes any difference to begin with.

I won't hijack this thread further... suffice is to say that doing an eve central search and running the industry window calculator is not the same as buying all the components/researching the BPO and building the ship in real-time with prices changing throughout. What you are giving as evidence IS anecdotal in that sense and I would never make a build decision off it. And yes, carriers aren't a good example.