These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#81 - 2014-03-25 12:46:59 UTC
Xander Delacroix wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Xander Delacroix wrote:

Missing. The. Point. Entirely.

You are, actually.

The point he's making is that the slippery slope of arbitrary bannings for something "distasteful" is FAR worse than the supposed slippery slope of "cyber bullying" that Ripard Teg is trying to make the case for.

What you call distasteful, I call morally reprehensible; but "tomahto-tomayto". Nevertheless, my point, if anyone bothered to read it, is that bad press leads to declining business leading to CCP losing money leading to Eve eventually going the way of so many other MMO's = no sandbox for Erotica1 and his ilk to indulge their "appetites" (oh and the rest of us losing out along the way too).

Ok, and Malcanis' point is, suppose I can say that I find homosexuality to be "morally reprehensible"?

Can I have any gay player banned if I get enough upset people posting on the forums in favor of that?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#82 - 2014-03-25 12:47:17 UTC
Xander Delacroix wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Xander Delacroix wrote:

Missing. The. Point. Entirely.

You are, actually.

The point he's making is that the slippery slope of arbitrary bannings for something "distasteful" is FAR worse than the supposed slippery slope of "cyber bullying" that Ripard Teg is trying to make the case for.

What you call distasteful, I call morally reprehensible; but "tomahto-tomayto". Nevertheless, my point, if anyone bothered to read it, is that bad press leads to declining business leading to CCP losing money leading to Eve eventually going the way of so many other MMO's = no sandbox for Erotica1 and his ilk to indulge their "appetites" (oh and the rest of us losing out along the way too).

If an alliance FC loses his temper with his fleet and calls them "a bunch of useless faggots" on 3rd party comms should he be banned? I personally find homophobia deeply offensive and also provably dangerous.

Especially when the FCs in question are shooting at my alliance.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

mr ed thehouseofed
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#83 - 2014-03-25 12:48:29 UTC
my 23 yr old son asked me why i did'nt join a corp and i play alone , i made him read every post in this thread . he thinks most of you are freaking idiots and now he understands why i play this game alone. i'm nearly 50 and some of you are the worst gamers i've ever come across in 30 years of gaming , if it wasn't for the fact nearly everyone has mutipile accounts i doubt this game would have lasted this long .

my 2 cents worth

i want a eve pinball machine...  confirming  CCP Cognac is best cognac

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#84 - 2014-03-25 12:49:22 UTC
Actually the gay thing is particularly dangerous because there are lots of people who find homosexuality disgusting and offensive, but also plenty who find homophobia the same. We could get everybody banned just by asking them if they hate gays or not.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#85 - 2014-03-25 12:49:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Jenn aSide wrote:
So, I just went and listened to the whole thing. I admit, I LoL'd, and without guilt after the 'victim' demonstrated that he is racist. I didn't hear one person say "I am under 18".

I did hear a guy say he was married (suggesting he was grown) between threatening people, slamming keyboards around and other crazy crap.

As a black man (don't let the white girl avatar fool you lol), I'm more offended by the 'victims' racial abuse (brought on when someone else identified himself as Afro-Canadian) than I am anything Erotica did. It is the 'victim' who should be banned on that basis alone if anyone is.

I guess all these people who think in game scamming is bad think in game racism is ok.....

Although , again, though I was appalled by the victims racism, I did lol again when he told the one guy to shut up and let him speak to his 'Masta'.....

This.

Also
Im not fond of the Sebiestor Tribe either, but Im not ranting about getting them banned.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Salvos Rhoska
#86 - 2014-03-25 12:50:17 UTC
Just ban Erotica1. Will not be missed and CCP is completely within its rights to do so.

Failing that, play this recording out loud at the next FanFest and see what the assembled community actually thinks of this.

Your choice.

Banning Erotica1 does the entire game and community a boon. Its just one less sub. Who cares.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#87 - 2014-03-25 12:50:22 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Actually the gay thing is particularly dangerous because there are lots of people who find homosexuality disgusting and offensive, but also plenty who find homophobia the same. We could get everybody banned just by asking them if they hate gays or not.

EVE is dying.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Xander Delacroix
Doomheim
#88 - 2014-03-25 12:50:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Xander Delacroix
Freedom of speech means that you can say what you like, to whomever you like, about whatsoever you like. However, with that freedom comes the responsibility to accept the consequences of saying those things.

In any case, it doesn't really matter what we say here. Those on Macanis' side of the fence will not change their position. Those of us on Ripard's side of the fence will not change ours. However, CCP have been put in an awkward position here. Whatever they decide to do, even if it is to do nothing, will upset one side of that fence. They simply have to make the choice that is best for business.
Conjaq
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2014-03-25 12:50:31 UTC
How much did this guy lose?

And is he still playing the game?
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#90 - 2014-03-25 12:50:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentamon
mr ed thehouseofed wrote:
my 23 yr old son asked me why i did'nt join a corp and i play alone , i made him read every post in this thread . he thinks most of you are freaking idiots and now he understands why i play this game alone. i'm nearly 50 and some of you are the worst gamers i've ever come across in 30 years of gaming , if it wasn't for the fact nearly everyone has mutipile accounts i doubt this game would have lasted this long .

my 2 cents worth

We love you too.

The good news is, people are saying "ban them" instead of "burn them" for their temporary feel good moment. Ahhh, progress.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#91 - 2014-03-25 12:51:15 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

Failing that, play this recording out loud at the next FanFest and see what the assembled community actually thinks of this.

That could be seen as incitment to riot.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

MajorBean
HandelsGilde-De
Outsmarted
#92 - 2014-03-25 12:51:25 UTC
Erotica1 for CSM!

I am a big fan of his work these people make Eve awesome and i love to read the storys behind it.

More of it!
Bernie Nator
Seal Club Six
Plug N Play
#93 - 2014-03-25 12:52:06 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Buck Futz wrote:
And, now, having read the actual blog....
I'm quite convinced that Ripard is the intolerable sort that whines to the coach when he gets hazed by his team-members in the men's locker room.

Of course this is theoretical.
Because it would require Ripard actually setting foot in a men's locker room for something other than pilates or yoga.
You know, something that doesn't require stretchy see-through pants.

And this is exactly this kind of replies that doesn't push the world and community towards a better place.

But hey it's easier being a douche than being nice to people...

/c

And this is why I like Chribba. Also why I agree with him.

Tuscor
#94 - 2014-03-25 12:52:16 UTC
Malcanis is right I think, although his way of arguing is very confontational and adversarial Smile

CCP shouldn't just ban Erotica. MAYBE they should carefully assess how much they want that kind of behaviour associated with thier game (and it is associated, abviously, despite the offending behaviour occurring out of game). And then MAYBE they should change the rules to make identifying victims for this kind of behaviour ingame and then using ingame activities (scamming and contracting their stuff) as part of the tormenting behaviour against the rules.

This is just an idea - it would probably be very hard to draft properly into the TOS and it may be deemed too subjective. But rules can be changed. Those of us that come from common law jurisdictions know that the laws constantly change to reflect society's expectations and changing views on things - homosexuality was once against the law in the UK - now its not... it is currently legal to use certain tax loopholes involving the channel islands and trusts... the UK government is changing the law becuase they dont like it...

Its currently arguably within the rules but maybe it shouldnt be...
Lin Suizei
#95 - 2014-03-25 12:52:41 UTC
Xander Delacroix wrote:

There was also a negative media reaction to the unfortunate incident between The Mittani and The Wis, but EVE is as strong as ever. EVE isn't dying.

Lol I can't delete my forum sig.

Salvos Rhoska
#96 - 2014-03-25 12:53:13 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Why on earth would it be that?

Because people will be so disgusted by it that they leave the event?

Yes, I agree.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#97 - 2014-03-25 12:53:38 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

That could be seen as incitment to riot laugh yer ass off.

FYP Big smile
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#98 - 2014-03-25 12:54:05 UTC
Tuscor wrote:
Malcanis is right I think, although his way of arguing is very confontational and adversarial Smile

When I see calls for "mob justice" based on emotional reactions, I tend to confront them as an adversary, yes.

Sorry I'm not quite as smooth as Atticus Finch Blink

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#99 - 2014-03-25 12:55:56 UTC
Although we should perhaps remember that Finch lost that case...

Yeah I think I'll keep being confrontational.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#100 - 2014-03-25 12:56:17 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Why on earth would it be that?

Because people will be so disgusted by it that they leave the event?

Yes, I agree.

Because not everyone agrees with you.

If this thread were ingame, shots would already have been fired I believe.