These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#701 - 2014-03-25 19:09:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

But we must admit, if you did press charges, wouldn't it be rather awkward to explain what you were doing and why at the time you got threatened? I'd hate to be on a witness stand with that story and a jury of people who live in the "real world" is not going to see any victims at the point where all the facts are known.

If in some wild future that this goes to court, I just hope the judge allows the camera to focus on the faces of the black jurors in the jury box as the recording is played Big smile

Erotica1, not guilty by reason of the other dudes insanity. Case closed.
Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#702 - 2014-03-25 19:10:01 UTC
Well yeah, I think he goes way over the line of decent behavior. Having said that: how bloody stupid do you have to be to engage in his bonus room thingy?

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#703 - 2014-03-25 19:10:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
1984esque prank call

1984 was a book about the absolute bottom of human social behavior and manipulation.

Maybe choose a different metaphor to make your particular case.

It was also a year

Some good Eurythmics songs were released in it

Infact it was a damn fine year, as years go

EDIT: SPOOKY! It was the year EvE ancestor Elite was released! Oooooo...

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#704 - 2014-03-25 19:10:36 UTC
Alphea Abbra wrote:
I have no idea how this can be defended.
It's abhorrent.

Not the scamming part, but the part where someones IRL suffering becomes your purpose.

Yet so many tolerate this in lesser form through griefing and ganking. It is a difference of magnitude I agree, but it is done for the same purpose.
Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#705 - 2014-03-25 19:10:41 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
the fact of the situation is as follows; he was one keystroke from removing himself from the situation and turning a 1.5 hour teamspeak session in to a non-event.

Do you attribute this to his lack of awareness or Erotica1's skill at manipulation?

"Shouldn't have worn that dress"

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Winchester Steele
#706 - 2014-03-25 19:11:01 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
So what you're saying is that you don't care what damage is caused to CCP or EVE as long as you can get someone you don't like banned.

That's not at all what I said.

I don't have an opinion on Erotica1. I just read the blog post, and then pages of hurfblurf outrage here.

People want to ostracize someone to correct this behavior? The simplest way is to go after CCP's wallet and reputation.

Malcanis wrote:
Wow.

What's wow is a living breathing strawman elected to the CSM.

Personal attacks on Ripard Teg are not warranted. You should apologize (even though it is true).

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#707 - 2014-03-25 19:11:18 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
1984esque prank call

1984 was a book about the absolute bottom of human social behavior and manipulation.

Maybe choose a different metaphor to make your particular case.

The YEAR 1984 wasn't a book, it was a year before most people had the internet and did prank calls on telephones, like I did when i was 10....in 1984....
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#708 - 2014-03-25 19:11:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Erotica 1
Wesley Otsdarva wrote:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/25/heres-some-of-the-cyberbullying-that-happens-in-eve-online/

So here goes for news coverage.

This can only bring more players to EVE. Let's test it with a 21 day buddy invite on that page.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#709 - 2014-03-25 19:13:05 UTC
Quote:
then i suggest you stay away from irrelevant anecdotes and stick to the facts of the situation.

the fact of the situation is as follows; he was one keystroke from removing himself from the situation and turning a 1.5 hour teamspeak session in to a non-event.

As stated before. Not everyone reacts in the same way. I don't need to argue with you. My issue is not with you.

My issue is with the length of time it went on, the obvious pleasure that was derived from someone else's discomfort and the lack of recognition from the protaganist that it had gone far enough.

When you tie that in to how it will (or won't) affect CCP's reputation I think it is a bad thing. It was just too much.

They can act on it or not - that's up to them. I'll be watching with interest.

Aaaaaaand relax.

Dave Stark
#710 - 2014-03-25 19:13:08 UTC
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Well yeah, I think he goes way over the line of decent behavior. Having said that: how bloody stupid do you have to be to engage in his bonus room thingy?

general consensus so far is: bordering on mental instability.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#711 - 2014-03-25 19:13:23 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:

Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
Scamming is a part of Eve. Making people sing songs, quote poetry, or whatever is also a part of Eve. Not honoring ransoms, also a part of Eve.

Are you trying to claim there was no harassment of this guy going on for 2 hours?

Yes. He willingly sent Erotica 1 isk to double. Willingly entered the "Bonus Room". Willingly logged into Teamspeak (I think he even had to willingly install Teamspeak first). He willingly contracted all his assests to strangers. He willingly sang songs and willingly read wikipedia entries. He could have chosen at any time to not do any of that, or he could have left at ANY time. Frankly, I'd expect "harassment" to be at least slightly non-consensual.

Instead he made real life death threats and used racial slurs multiple times over a video game. I honestly can't see how anyone could even defend him.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Navi Annages
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#712 - 2014-03-25 19:14:14 UTC
All the tears in this thread are simply delicious but lets keep a frame of reference to this entire topic.

Eve is a cold harsh game hands down.

So some guy got scammed for a bil or so. Who cares. Quite literally people get scammed every single day in jita amarr null ect. Does anyone or anything happen about it? No of course not because human nature is to be cruel, twisted and decisive.

It takes 1 person to reset sov for an alliance and literally destroy ten's of thousands of man hours that thousands of people have contributed towards. Just one person can wreck the gameplay of an entire alliance. Hundreds of billions are lost overnight when these resets occur.

And your all crying about one scrub that got scammed in or out of game. WHO CARES!

Who cares if Erotica scammed someone. In the grand scheme of things Eve will live on. Real eve politics will continue to prevail. It sounds like people are out on a witch hunt to hang the scammer when in reality the victim is a moron who had to learn a hard lesson. People lose their prized ships the 'hard way' all the time because they are new to the game or don't understand the mechanics. The victim in this case had to learn the hard way over a measly 1 bil. Get real people. The audio for this whole ordeal should how's just how cold and calculating Erotica and his band is. They are not to be trifled with after this am I right?

Now here's my personal troll.

ERTOICA1 for CSM!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-JfK-wwFU

Pew Terror
All of it
#713 - 2014-03-25 19:14:43 UTC
Sometimes when i walk by a homeless person near the mall and notice they are pretty weak I just start kicking them in the chins and take their quarters. Then I laugh at them when they tear up realizing that they will have to starve the next few days.

Yeah, preying on the weak and defenseless makes me a pretty hilarious dude!
Salvos Rhoska
#714 - 2014-03-25 19:15:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Dave Stark wrote:

Yes, which is part of the mechanic of selection of victims for extortion/ransom used in this OUT OF GAME activity.
Klarion Sythis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#715 - 2014-03-25 19:15:13 UTC
This is a subject wrapped up in personal views and all I can do is express my own.

In context, I do not scam or grief nor do I care when others do. It's income, emergent gameplay, and usually harmless.

This, on the other hand, is a player using EVE Online as a vehicle for harassing people out of game for non-game related reasons. Stole his assets? Fine. The humiliation and harassment are not. It's not about the game anymore. I believe CCP should draw a line here and ban erotica for using their game to bring real life harm to others.

Those defending this action should step back and be concerned for what this game's culture has done to you.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#716 - 2014-03-25 19:15:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
That was the funniest, most entertaining and insightful EvE related recording I've listened to in years.

Erotica 1 has my vote for CSM.

Big smile

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Dave Stark
#717 - 2014-03-25 19:15:57 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Do you attribute this to his lack of awareness or Erotica1's skill at manipulation?

"Shouldn't have worn that dress"

no.
ShipSpin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#718 - 2014-03-25 19:16:13 UTC
Batelle wrote:
ShipSpin wrote:
Harassment is a real world crime regardless of where it happens.

True, but unless erotica1 et al dox the guy and start calling him, emailing him, contacting his friends & family, or otherwise defame him, its still not harassment. Getting **** on via a consensual phone call that you've consented to have recorded is not harassment.

That is not true and here's why, see the bold sections.

Quote:
§ 11.443 Harassment.
A person commits a petty misdemeanor if, with purpose to harass another, he or she:
(a) Makes a telephone call without purpose or legitimate communication; or
(b) Insults, taunts or challenges another in a manner likely to provoke violent or disorderly response; or
(c) Makes repeated communications anonymously or at extremely inconvenient hours, or in offensively coarse language; or
(d) Subjects another to an offensive touching; or
(e) Engages in any other course of alarming conduct serving no legitimate purpose.

It does not matter that the participant engaged in a consensual conversation and/or agreed to being recorded. It does not even matter that erotica1 didn't call/email/etc. the participant as well. They deliberately elicited a 'violent or disorderly response' through their continued efforts (which most definitely falls under taunting/challenging). The second bold part can be applied as well when, in this case, the participant's wife then became involved. However, since I haven't listened to the full recording I can't say for sure, it may be more difficult to prove that they were engaging what would be considered 'alarming conduct', but it certainly had no legitimate purpose.
Dave Stark
#719 - 2014-03-25 19:17:09 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Yes, which is part of the mechanic of selection of victims for extortion/ransom used in this OUT OF GAME activity.

where does that show up on the show info tab on a pilot's information? pray tell.
Dave Stark
#720 - 2014-03-25 19:17:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
completely misread that.