These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4421 - 2014-03-27 05:38:06 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
E1 & Co. just made a cardinal mistake of pissing on the united states service men and women.

God knows i disagree with some things US gov't does, but I never disrespect and belittle the brave men and women who are sent to do dangerous jobs overseas.

For your little sadist circle to laugh about some very serious issues facing the service men and women is not cool. Especially since EVE Online is where a large number of them choose to spend their free time.

But keep digging.

Unless those issues don't actually exist except in the minds of people who misinterpret and fail to analyse statistics. Sorry, but uninformed opinions can be dismissed without consideration. You have failed to produce a point worth considering, you are merely attempting emotional blackmail against your intellectual betters. Jealousy? Inferiority complex? I don't know what your problem is, I can only make guesses myself, but I suggest that you do have a problem, and it's yours alone to deal with.

The Secretary of Defense knows when the men and women he Commands have a problem in their midst.

There is a reason we started having suicide briefs every ******* month.

Something that should be done whether suicide exists or not. It's unfortunate that it took suicides to bring the issue to anyone's attention. The question remains, though: are people in the service committing suicide because of their service, or for something else?

If you can't even bring yourself to ask this question, and just assume you know the answer, then you are no better than the creationist who claims the earth is 6000 years old and no amount of evidence will convince him otherwise.

IF you want a citation explaining the current understanding of PTSD, War Trauma and the like, consider reading or even just browsing???

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
Navi Annages
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4422 - 2014-03-27 05:38:12 UTC
Liese Shardani wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Not to mention that Erotica and friends were in control of the situation the entire time. Its part of the manipulation to use a calm tone and to remain calm and collected because it contrasts with the victims out of control manner and removes even more control from the victim. Its why people tell you to take a step back or a deep breath in a conflict situation because it helps in regards to recovering some control.

They're manipulative, that's the whole idea of the bonus round.
Exactly. They keep talking about how polite they are, and I've heard them say a few times that there's to be no foul language in the Bonus Room. Gosh, look how reasonable and nice we are; there couldn't be anything wrong with what we're doing! But see that freak over there yelling and swearing? He's obviously the one with the problem.

That whole thing where they were telling Sohkar to take a deep breath or get a class of water or whatever? A show of dominance. We're in charge here, and you're obviously a weakling who's unable to control your emotions, so we're doing you a favor by giving you suggestions on how to calm down.

Roll

Did they really think that people listening to those sessions wouldn't see through this?

Yep looked like a professional con artist doing what he does best.
Those racist tears were fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-JfK-wwFU

Kyperion
#4423 - 2014-03-27 05:38:12 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

I doubt that Kaarous Aldurald or Remiel Pollard have reached the age when the pain of death has stung their lives.

Remember, when you aren't able to address their point directly, attack something you made up about *who* they are instead.

There's a term for that somewhere, not sure what it could be though...

Calling a Donkey an Ass, is just correct labeling.
Hiljah
Slap Fight Martial Artists
#4424 - 2014-03-27 05:39:45 UTC
I played in a sandbox when I was a kid. One time I found poop in it. I took the poop out. Then I went back to having fun.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4425 - 2014-03-27 05:39:47 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

I doubt that Kaarous Aldurald or Remiel Pollard have reached the age when the pain of death has stung their lives.

Remember, when you aren't able to address their point directly, attack something you made up about *who* they are instead.

There's a term for that somewhere, not sure what it could be though...

Oh, right in the feels! He got me guys, I might not make it!

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4426 - 2014-03-27 05:40:24 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
The Erotica 1 supporters have been desperately trying for the lock for a while now.

I do believe they will manage it with the filth they are posting now. Or maybe we'll just get a much needed thread trimming. Guess it depends on who's on shift.

Mr Epeen Cool

All good things must come to an end. I still think there's some ISBOXER forum warmongering going on.
Navi Annages
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4427 - 2014-03-27 05:41:07 UTC
Hiljah wrote:
I played in a sandbox when I was a kid. One time I found poop in it. I took the poop out. Then I went back to having fun.

I always thought the poop added some color. Sohkar distinctly doesn't care for that color now does he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-JfK-wwFU

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#4428 - 2014-03-27 05:41:14 UTC
Kyperion wrote:

and what if it's a donkey calling a donkey an ass, you might just be looking in a mirror there buddy!

Psychotic Monk for CSM9 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326497 you want content in highsec? vote Monk

Kyperion
#4429 - 2014-03-27 05:41:15 UTC
Muestereate wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
E1 & Co. just made a cardinal mistake of pissing on the united states service men and women.

God knows i disagree with some things US gov't does, but I never disrespect and belittle the brave men and women who are sent to do dangerous jobs overseas.

For your little sadist circle to laugh about some very serious issues facing the service men and women is not cool. Especially since EVE Online is where a large number of them choose to spend their free time.

But keep digging.

Unless those issues don't actually exist except in the minds of people who misinterpret and fail to analyse statistics. Sorry, but uninformed opinions can be dismissed without consideration. You have failed to produce a point worth considering, you are merely attempting emotional blackmail against your intellectual betters. Jealousy? Inferiority complex? I don't know what your problem is, I can only make guesses myself, but I suggest that you do have a problem, and it's yours alone to deal with.

The Secretary of Defense knows when the men and women he Commands have a problem in their midst.

Something that should be done whether suicide exists or not. It's unfortunate that it took suicides to bring the issue to anyone's attention. The question remains, though: are people in the service committing suicide because of their service, or for something else?

If you can't even bring yourself to ask this question, and just assume you know the answer, then you are no better than the creationist who claims the earth is 6000 years old and no amount of evidence will convince him otherwise.

IF you want a citation explaining the current understanding of PTSD, War Trauma and the like, consider reading or even just browsing???

That book should be required reading, along with "On Combat" and "Warrior Mindset"
Liese Shardani
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4430 - 2014-03-27 05:41:18 UTC
Hiljah wrote:

Lol Great analogy.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4431 - 2014-03-27 05:42:38 UTC
Muestereate wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

But keep digging.

Books aren't citations, and I'm not going to guy spend my money on a book over this. I know a fair bit about the subject already and I agree, there is a psychological cost to being responsible for the death of another human being. However, I've asked a question, based on analysis of the statistics, that so far I've been riddled with abuse for. I believe it's a fair question, and would like to know if you agree it's something worth contemplating.

Are people in the military or emergency services committing suicide due to their service, or is it because of other factors?

This is an important question to answer. If the answer is because of their service, then something about the service needs to be changed. If it is because of something else, then we need to focus our efforts there. If our efforts for change are not focused in the right place, these people will continue committing suicide. Nothing will change. It's like putting the wrong man behind bars while the actual killer continues to walk free to kill again.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Kyperion
#4432 - 2014-03-27 05:43:25 UTC
Anomaly One wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

and what if it's a donkey calling a donkey an ass, you might just be looking in a mirror there buddy!

If its a donkey calling a donkey an ass... well the term still sticks... because it is CORRECT
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4433 - 2014-03-27 05:44:32 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Ah, plenty of firewood under the stake? Good, good.

"Thou shall not suffer a witch to live." ~Exodus 22:18

Btw, hope this reaches page 300. There are probably records to be broken.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4434 - 2014-03-27 05:44:57 UTC
Liese Shardani wrote:
Hiljah wrote:

Lol Great analogy.

Indeed it is. It's the first good analogy I've seen on this thread so far. It also demonstrates an aspect of the sandbox. He didn't change the dimensions or the composition of the sand, he didn't change the sandbox in any way. He took the poop out himself.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4435 - 2014-03-27 05:45:04 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Civilization, competition, fair play, social cooperation and the Rule of Law, or a clown show of immaturity,

What does CCP and the larger EVE community want this game to become?

A sandbox.

The end.

Life is a sandbox of course. But every sandbox needs boundaries, otherwise things spiral out of control completely if people are left to their own whims and devices, hence there's a strong rule-set here in EVE.

Although it's also very lax in some ways, compared to many other MMOs, and this is what makes it so exciting imo.

At the end of the day players in any MMO will always push other players as far as they can get away with. That will never change.

People will also always attach emotion to their gaming investments and we'll see raging, meltdowns and threats. That will never change.

We cannot change the players. So there's really little point in telling folks like Erotica 1 that they are **** and need help. Likewise there's little point in telling those who meltdown to grow up. It's just how people are, and always will be.

But what can be changed is the environment.

A perfect example is places like Facebook and Twitter. Most of us have seen the stories over time come out of it where people have been abused, trolled or harassed in some form until they snap and hurt themselves or someone else. Did the media and lawmakers focus on deep arguments as to whether the antagonist or 'victim' is to blame? No they didn't, they focus on the one thing that can change and that's the websites themselves. Hence we see pressure from government to change these sites and laws introduced by them to try and prevent certain behaviour.

So, here in EVE, should something be done to further restrict what we're permitted to do?

Well, I have no problem with scamming, ganking, awoxing and robbing within the game. I also have no problem with Erotica 1, I don't know him. But I do know that we all get carried away sometimes and are subject to human nature. If I was Erotica 1 I would have stopped the bonus room when I realised this person was getting highly distressed in real-life as that is not what I aim to achieve when I play a game. And with that in mind I certainly wouldn't have published the audio of this poor guy so upset. We all need limits imposed on us because we as people cannot be trusted to keep within a reasonable boundary otherwise.

And in EVE that's where CCP comes in.

So yes, I believe we need to tighten up some rules in regard to this kind of thing. How? Well that's for greater minds than mine to work out lol But if left unchecked eventually someone will go over the edge, and when that happens all these arguments will become null and void. The public won't be interested in "sandboxes", the law makers won't care about "gamers needing to grow up". They will focus on the site and how it allowed people to end up in these positions.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4436 - 2014-03-27 05:45:28 UTC
"this guy is an ass, therefore eve online should be transformed into a space jousting game"

christ, you people

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4437 - 2014-03-27 05:45:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Muestereate
Drone 16 wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Drone 16 wrote:

You sir, with your uncanny ability to refer to other people who may or may not be analyzing statistics are a true gem. We need more people around here that can parrot their favorite news source and then use other's intellect as a substitute for their own. Why don't you go ahead and share some of your own analysis with us instead of the people you puppet to make yourself feel smart. Go on we'll wait.

I'm not parroting anything. I provided an article that demonstrated actual rational criticism of a conclusion formed from statistics. The source is irrelevant, it's the content that matters and how well formed the argument is. If this exact same article had been produced by the Daily Fail, word for word, I would have linked it from there as well. The bottom line is, it's asking a hard question, but a relevant question. I suggest you find the question difficult because you might be afraid of the answer, or the question itself conflicts with a preconceived but unsubstantiated conclusion.

I'm not trying to substituted my intellect with anything, either. Even the smartest people in the world still cite their sources. You think Richard Dawkins, one of the most cited authors in history, doesn't cite his work? Doesn't work with knowledge established by other? No, crediting the work of others is more important than one's pride in their intellect. If anything, it demonstrates intellectual honesty - I didn't think of this question, someone else did, and I'm not going to pretend it was my idea.

I don't need to provide my own analysis because a perfectly acceptable critical analysis has already been done. What you are asking of me is therefore intellectually redundant until a conclusion can be drawn from the existing analysis, which I'll bet my bottom dollar you haven't even read. This makes any analysis I make doubly redundant, since I'll bet every dollar after my bottom one that you wouldn't read that either.

You are a sophomore aren't you? It must be that. You know just enough to impress the girls, but no enough to see how stupid you sound to those with life experience and higher education. We don't need to use our knowledge as a bludgeon, we are accomplished in our own right. On that point I will say good night because you aren't worth my time to educate, at this point you know it all. In a few years you will see how much you don't know and then you may remember my words.

I don't know about that or whether its even relevant to attack his education. Ad Hominem is Freshman tactics isn't it?
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#4438 - 2014-03-27 05:46:11 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Liese Shardani wrote:
Hiljah wrote:

Lol Great analogy.

Indeed it is. It's the first good analogy I've seen on this thread so far. It also demonstrates an aspect of the sandbox. He didn't change the dimensions or the composition of the sand, he didn't change the sandbox in any way. He took the poop out himself.

which is why in this situation
it's a false analogy, because "you/they" didn't take the poop out, you basically kept smelling the poop for years, then a cat pointed at a brown thing and said it's poop, and you cried for others to take what you thought was chocolate..

or something.. yea!

Psychotic Monk for CSM9 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326497 you want content in highsec? vote Monk

Space Juden
Supermassive Potato Pancake
#4439 - 2014-03-27 05:46:16 UTC
How would an 'anti-bullying' ect (whatever) rule or judgment in this case impact EVE, especially when a firm precedent has been established by them in favor of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but CCP Falcon for instance was a pirate in low-sec before obtaining his long desired position there? And may or may not have held primordial 'bonus rooms' in chat channels? The point isn't him, it's that we've always been told EVE is meant to be a harsh place.
Kyperion
#4440 - 2014-03-27 05:48:46 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Liese Shardani wrote:
Hiljah wrote:

Lol Great analogy.

Which is precisely what we are trying to get CCP to do, because they own the sandbox....

It is time to remove the fecal matter from the sandbox.