These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Dieterlin
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#4221 - 2014-03-27 01:59:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Dieterlin
Korhaka Mirunas wrote:
If we assume the whole conversation happened ingame, what was broken in the EULA? Please show me the paragraph(s) explaining.

Section 6, Part A "Specifically Restricted Conduct", Section 5.

EULA wrote:
You may not submit any content to any chat room or other public forum within the Game that is harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, libelous or defamatory, encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liabilities, or is unlawful in any other way, including without limitation the submission of content that infringes on a third-party’s intellectual property rights.

Ero1 definitely conducted "harassing behavior" outside the scope of normal gameplay, and the victim made threatening comments. Both of them should be banned.
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4222 - 2014-03-27 01:59:53 UTC
Anslo wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
Yeah if anything the blogger should be banned for attempting to start a negative media shitstorm.

Are goons anti-free speech now?

For highsec pubbies, hell yes.

Too bad.

Example A.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#4223 - 2014-03-27 02:00:35 UTC  |  Edited by: EI Digin
You've touched on a very important aspect of this issue.

There is no possible way that any person can officially prove that the statements on a third-party website were in fact made by the party that they claim. There is always an aspect of trust involved with computer security, and the fact that private alliance forums and many other forms of communication are not directly controlled by CCP or other approved third party there is no true trustable method of user authentication. Not to mention that screenshots can be manipulated.

As well, there's no way for you to tell that this soundcloud is truly legitimate and that the parties are who they say they are. Unless of course they admit to it in a CCP controlled forum or in game that it was them. But still, you have to trust that the content was not manipulated past the time in which they have made their admission.

Thus, the only policing that is possible to do so in a fair and equitable manner is to do so within the grounds of the game, where the environment is completely controlled by CCP and identity is guaranteed. Especially in an environment that is so metagame heavy and where people regularly take things too far for their own benefit.
Mario Putzo
#4224 - 2014-03-27 02:00:59 UTC
Dieterlin wrote:
Korhaka Mirunas wrote:
If we assume the whole conversation happened ingame, what was broken in the EULA? Please show me the paragraph(s) explaining.

EULA wrote:
You may not submit any content to any chat room or other public forum within the Game that is harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, libelous or defamatory, encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liabilities, or is unlawful in any other way, including without limitation the submission of content that infringes on a third-party’s intellectual property rights.

Pretty sure that doesn't cover anything that happened.
Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#4225 - 2014-03-27 02:01:03 UTC
La Nariz wrote:

You do know that Ripard is not a hisec pubbie, right?

La Nariz wrote:
Its a private company, free speech does not apply and libel isn't protected under free speech.

Do you think that private companies benefit from censoring customers?

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Anslo
Scope Works
#4226 - 2014-03-27 02:01:39 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Anslo wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
Yeah if anything the blogger should be banned for attempting to start a negative media shitstorm.

Are goons anti-free speech now?

Too bad.

Example A.

Yet I and many others don't give two tugs of a dead dog's **** you think pubbies can't speak.

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Dieterlin
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#4227 - 2014-03-27 02:02:48 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Dieterlin wrote:
Korhaka Mirunas wrote:

EULA wrote:

You don't think anything that could constitute harassment (on Ero1's part) or threatening comments (on the victim's part) took place?
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4228 - 2014-03-27 02:03:17 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
With revelations coming from the Goonswarm camp about further sociopathic and sadistic behaviour of E1 and Co, its even more clear that what they do is nothing short of emotional ****.

They are online predators looking for vulnerable handicapped people to cyber-bully, plain and simple.

What they do is IDENTICAL to a gang of rapists intentionally drugging and then taking somewhere and raping some poor girl at a party. The end result for the victim is the same - emotional damage that cannot be healed.

Nothing they say or do justifies our community's tolerance of such heinous behaviour.

BAN THEM ALL.

Personally I don't think anyone in this situation needs to be banned.

But, without really delving into my own leanings, I believe it would instead be wiser of CCP to simply use this event as a learning experience, a catalyst for some small change or guidlines of some kind.

The freedom EVE offers, to all genres of it's players, is wonderful. But it's also obvious that (just like RL freedoms) many people struggle to handle those freedoms respectfully and responsibly. Should CCP keep letting players fall foul of their own human nature within the environment they've created and consider themselves immune from prosecution, both literal and metaphorical? I don't believe that would be a wise choice.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Mario Putzo
#4229 - 2014-03-27 02:03:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
Anslo wrote:

Yet I and many others don't give two tugs of a dead dog's **** you think pubbies can't speak.

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

Don't let the F1 monkey rile ya up bud. Mr. Vee is currently submitting an article to the media to get his Titan back he lost today. Goonies are just as bitchmade as the pubbies they drone on about.

Knuckledraggers be knuckledraggers.
Korhaka Mirunas
Doomheim
#4230 - 2014-03-27 02:03:33 UTC
You may not abuse, harass or threaten another player or authorized representative of CCP, including customer service personnel and volunteers. This includes, but is not limited to: filing support tickets with false information in an attempt to gain from it or have someone else suffer from it; sending excessive e-mails, EVE-mails or support tickets; obstructing CCP Employees from doing their jobs; refusal to follow the instructions of a CCP Employee; or implying favoritism by a CCP Employee.

You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)

You will report out-of-game issues regarding harassment, such as threatening phone calls or correspondence, to your local law enforcement officials or Internet provider. CCP will not reveal personal information about its subscribers to unauthorized individuals. We are not responsible for actions taken by our subscribers that occur outside the jurisdiction of our game servers or web site.

---

Sections 1, 2, and 6 from the terms of service. As you can see the examples of harassment are things the receiving player is unable to avoid while playing EVE Online, however what happened in this situation is that the 'victim' could have stopped it at any time by leaving the team speak channel, if Erotica 1 then started to spam him with mails or conversation invites it would have been a breach of ToS but he didn't, just a few attempts at contacting him to see if he was still interested which is not harassment.

Second section, the only player being abusive was Sohkar, now this could be considered a breach in the ToS, however as the 3rd (6th) section says, since it was out of game, it would have to be given to law enforcement officials, but that would be down to your own choice as it is not required by law to report something like this to the police, however it would be within your rights to do so if you wish.

Most importantally I think we should look to this line: "We are not responsible for actions taken by our subscribers that occur outside the jurisdiction of our game servers or web site."

CCP don't have to do anything about this, partly because it was out of game, and even if it was, it wouldn't have been a breach of the ToS

We need T3 Shuttles!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiR5Q72kT1U

Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#4231 - 2014-03-27 02:03:52 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

They are online predators looking for vulnerable handicapped people to cyber-bully, plain and simple.

I don't disagree.

But that same description applies to almost everyone in the game from someone's point of view.

LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

What they do is IDENTICAL to a gang of rapists intentionally drugging and then taking somewhere and raping some poor girl at a party. The end result for the victim is the same - emotional damage that cannot be healed.

I strongly disagree with this. It's not raping, and the emotional damage can be healed. I'm willing to give you a little room about offering gambling to someone who may be a gambling addict being similar to drugging.

But the rest is far over the top. So far that it's probably insulting to poor girls who do go get drugged, taken, and raped by gangs. You do know that this is a thing that actually happens, right? That's not a hypothetical worst-thing-ever that you just made up.

What Erotica 1 did isn't in any way IDENTICAL. You're just foaming at the mouth now, and that doesn't help anyone.

LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

BAN THEM ALL.

Sure. Let's ban everyone that anyone doesn't like.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4232 - 2014-03-27 02:04:15 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
La Nariz wrote:

You do know that Ripard is not a hisec pubbie, right?

La Nariz wrote:
Its a private company, free speech does not apply and libel isn't protected under free speech.

Do you think that private companies benefit from censoring customers?

That dude is definitely a highsec pubbie at heart. Yes I do the proof is in a SLAPP.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Anslo
Scope Works
#4233 - 2014-03-27 02:04:29 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Anslo wrote:

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

Don't let the F1 monkey rile ya up bud. Mr. Vee is currently submitting an article to the media to get his Titan back he lost today. Goonies are just as ***** made as the pubbies they drone on about.

Knuckledraggers be knuckledraggers.

The try hard though man. I can't cope. I'm Scope but I can't cope D:>

Korhaka Mirunas
Doomheim
#4234 - 2014-03-27 02:05:41 UTC
Dieterlin wrote:
Korhaka Mirunas wrote:

EULA wrote:

Ero1 definitely conducted "harassing behavior" outside the scope of normal gameplay, and the victim made threatening comments. Both of them should be banned.

The only person to use threats was Sohkar, I have listened to the sound clip from start to finish. Erotica 1 never raised his voice and never threatened anyone, was not obscene, did not harass, was not abusive or defamatory.

We need T3 Shuttles!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiR5Q72kT1U

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4235 - 2014-03-27 02:06:00 UTC
Anslo wrote:

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

Its that you shouldn't be allowed to speak not whether you can or can't.

Mario Putzo
#4236 - 2014-03-27 02:06:23 UTC
Dieterlin wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Dieterlin wrote:
Korhaka Mirunas wrote:

EULA wrote:

You don't think anything that could constitute harassment (on Ero1's part) or threatening comments (on the victim's part) took place?

Nothing that violates that section you linked no.

If there was clear violation of EULA we wouldn't have a 200+ page thread, Erotica would have been banned a month ago when he linked this soundcloud on these very forums. Long before Ripard blogged about it.
Liese Shardani
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4237 - 2014-03-27 02:06:24 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Liese Shardani wrote:
At 47:55 in this clip, Erotica 1 says, "Would you also be able to with mayonnaise spell Erotica 1 on your chest, please?" This is after asking the guy to find a camera.

Perfect. Thanks.
Christ on a cracker, I cannot even believe how much time I've spent listening to these things. Fascinating, in a train wreck kind of way.

The guys being scammed don't readily recognize all the little traps being laid for them, but it's actually obvious as hell. Ero and his pals have a few tells that totally give away when they smell a weakness they can use.

Out of curiosity, have they ever run a Bonus Round for a female player? Are there any female escrow agents? I've only heard male voices.
Anslo
Scope Works
#4238 - 2014-03-27 02:07:34 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Anslo wrote:

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

Oh well. We are allowed. Deal with it, nerd.

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4239 - 2014-03-27 02:09:05 UTC
Anslo wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
Anslo wrote:

We speak.

We continue to speak.

We won't stop.

Deal with it.

P.S. -2edgy4mebro

Oh well. We are allowed. Deal with it, nerd.

Our intense lobbying that the masterful investigator dinsdale piranah discovered is working to change that.

DJentropy Ovaert
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#4240 - 2014-03-27 02:09:25 UTC  |  Edited by: DJentropy Ovaert
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Glathull wrote:

I strongly disagree with this. It's not raping, and the emotional damage can be healed. I'm willing to give you a little room about offering gambling to someone who may be a gambling addict being similar to drugging.

Good luck getting through to him. Myself and others have politely mentioned to him that his efforts to equate this dramallama fest to a "gang of rapists drugging and then raping some poor girl at a party" as one and the same is just offensive, tasteless, and really shows a lot about his character and inablity to hold a rational discussion.

Also, he does not know what the word IDENTICAL means. It's hard to communicate about issues like this when you have people like him literally comparing someone making a fool out of themselves on TS to horrific acts of real world violence. You're beating on a dead horse. He does not get it, I don't think he ever will.

In his white-knight world, everyone who does things that violate his personal moral code are evil, and can be equated with anyone else who he has found evil. There's no distinction. It's all "IDENTICAL". Black and white. 0 and 1. Binary style justice.

Lucky for us, there's plenty of adults on both sides of this issue chiming in with logical and well thought out comments, rather then the kind of insanity that Luminous has shown us for the last 200 or so pages.