These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Leviathani Darkri
Road To Isk
#4061 - 2014-03-27 00:01:29 UTC
Ban 'em both. Problem solved.
Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#4062 - 2014-03-27 00:01:52 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
well there go the forums, then

m

Not a moment too soon
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4063 - 2014-03-27 00:02:07 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:

Last i checked it's not illegal to be rascist or homophobic, just socially unacceptable,

Oh wait thats what this entire thread is about....

Cultural and social acceptabilities in an online game...

/enlightenment

Not illegal... Just against the EULA... It won't get you jail... Just banned.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#4064 - 2014-03-27 00:03:12 UTC
dexington wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
He could also be angry at E1, but most of his anger should have been at himself for being dumb.

Great logic... you should join the bonus round table of interviewers, i can easily pictures you sitting there telling a person who has just been scammed out of everything and ridiculed for hours, that he should be angry at himself for being a dumb ****...

I absolutly will. Because that's what's wonrg with people, they always want to blame others for their failures.

The problem with blaming others is that you never learn to stop doing the dumb crap you were doing.

After 40 years on this earth, I know what I'm talking about. I used to blame my Ex's for their infidelities and ruining our marriages. Then I realized that the common denominator was me. I fixed the problem by, rather than being a victim, simply refraining from marrying whores, which is why I and wife #3 just celebrated anniversery #8 where as the 1st 2 (note, also don't get married twice before you turn 22) lasted 10 months TOTAL.
Simyaldee
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4065 - 2014-03-27 00:05:22 UTC
olan2005 wrote:
H aVo K wrote:
olan2005 wrote:
7 . This kind of brutal humiliation of people and psychological bullying through ransom of assets , needs to be stated by CCP to be illegal when using out of game mechanisms. BASICALLY MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO INVITE PEOPLE TO TEAMSPEAK SO FORTH WHEN YOUR SCAMMING THEM . This keeps everything within the EULA by keeping it in-game. As such it can be handled by CCP within the EULA framework

This would likely have an unintended effect on awoxing and corporate espionage.

Then ill adjust it

Make so when scamming individual players and or griefing individual players you can only use IN-GAME mechanisms
E.G i decide o become a scammer

I choose to scam a person out of their isk and assets . I use out of game mechanisms to do so it is illegal

E.G I decide to be a spy or thief within a corp/ alliance

I use out of game mechanisms like Teamspeak . This is fine as my intent is to steal from a corporation, and inflict financial damage to a in-game entity , that consists of real people , but it is not specifically directed at them . It is done with the purpose of theft of goods not to DELIBERATELY cause someone psychological harm. Or it is done to benefit my alliance not out of intent to cause the poeple in said corp/alliance duress.

TeamSpeak was never really a tool used to acquire the assets of another player. In Game Mechanics and API tools were. The TeamSpeak was solely used for Erotica to harass and abuse the victim.

If CCP changes the TOS it should be to clarify that abuses of the TOS can relate to abuses outside of the EVE universe when directly connected to EVE online. Also as long as the victim is not Harrassed on the TeamSpeak, scamming someone on it should be allowed.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4396449#post4396449

Member, Fighter and FC for The Great Harmon Institute of Technology 

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4066 - 2014-03-27 00:05:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
olan2005 wrote:
Then ill adjust it

Make so when scamming individual players and or griefing individual players you can only use IN-GAME mechanisms
E.G i decide o become a scammer

I choose to scam a person out of their isk and assets . I use out of game mechanisms to do so it is illegal

E.G I decide to be a spy or thief within a corp/ alliance

I use out of game mechanisms like Teamspeak . This is fine as my intent is to steal from a corporation, and inflict financial damage to a in-game entity , that consists of real people , but it is not specifically directed at them . It is done with the purpose of theft of goods not to DELIBERATELY cause someone psychological harm. Or it is done to benefit my alliance not out of intent to cause the poeple in said corp/alliance duress.

So what about a forum on the Corps blog run on a third party. Even a 1-person Corp that has a blog and allows comments.

Is the awoxer not allowed to take part in any activity associated with that as part of his process?

On the deliberately done to cause psychological harm, who determines the motives?
Pew Terror
All of it
#4067 - 2014-03-27 00:05:35 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Simyaldee wrote:
However I also condemn those who may or may not have Blackmailed Erotica 1 for one reason or another.

There's blackmail, & then there's linking your Amazon.com profile in an EVE chat that you later post on to a public pastebin which reveals some pretty nasty things about that guy you thought was only getting people to rub mayonaise on their chest.

sauce?
Drone 16
Holy Horde
#4068 - 2014-03-27 00:05:52 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
dexington wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
He could also be angry at E1, but most of his anger should have been at himself for being dumb.

Great logic... you should join the bonus round table of interviewers, i can easily pictures you sitting there telling a person who has just been scammed out of everything and ridiculed for hours, that he should be angry at himself for being a dumb ****...

I absolutly will. Because that's what's wonrg with people, they always want to blame others for their failures.

The problem with blaming others is that you never learn to stop doing the dumb crap you were doing.

After 40 years on this earth, I know what I'm talking about. I used to blame my Ex's for their infidelities and ruining our marriages. Then I realized that the common denominator was me. I fixed the problem by, rather than being a victim, simply refraining from marrying whores, which is why I and wife #3 just celebrated anniversery #8 where as the 1st 2 (note, also don't get married twice before you turn 22) lasted 10 months TOTAL.

How was Thailand?

It puts the peanutbutter on itself or it leaves the bonus round... - E1's greatest Hits

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4069 - 2014-03-27 00:06:09 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
dexington wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

You know what they say. You can't turn them into housewives! P
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#4070 - 2014-03-27 00:06:13 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:

Last i checked it's not illegal to be rascist or homophobic, just socially unacceptable,

/enlightenment

it IS illegal (against the rules) in EVE online to be racist and homophobic. If the person who didn't break the rules (E1) should be punished, the guy who did break the rules should be punished more severly.

And death threats are illegal (against the law) everywhere I know of.
Space Juden
Supermassive Potato Pancake
#4071 - 2014-03-27 00:06:24 UTC
Tarojan wrote:

Wrong, racist. he refused to speak with or listen to one of the hosts upon being told he was an african canadian and repeatly refered to him with the N word. Racist and in the UK crinimal. If he was british I would have made a complaint to the police here with a link to the sound could as evidence. People have gone to prision here in the UK for less then that. You yanks may tolerate that behaviour, but its still disgusting.

Sending people to prison or "time out" for using naughty words is why Britain is referred to as a nanny state.
Fairren
HellrisCorp
#4072 - 2014-03-27 00:06:41 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Simyaldee wrote:
However I also condemn those who may or may not have Blackmailed Erotica 1 for one reason or another.

There's blackmail, & then there's linking your Amazon.com profile in an EVE chat that you later post on to a public pastebin which reveals some pretty nasty things about that guy you thought was only getting people to rub mayonaise on their chest.

Like putting mayonnaise on a sandwich?
Drone 16
Holy Horde
#4073 - 2014-03-27 00:08:20 UTC
Fairren wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Simyaldee wrote:

Like putting mayonnaise on a sandwich?

Bro, seriously? This thread was getting strange enough. sicko...

It puts the peanutbutter on itself or it leaves the bonus round... - E1's greatest Hits

Genseric Tollaris
Hard Cog Industry
#4074 - 2014-03-27 00:09:17 UTC
Wow, 200 odd pages of hyperbole, trolling and half baked philosophy over some racist loudmouth losing it on the internet.

What I want to know is if we can't scam people out of their isk the way erotica did, then what about blowing up peoples ships? Sokhar willingly participated in Erotica's game and stayed for over 2 hours with the ability to leave at any time, which he did a couple of times only to return. The guy flying the rhea in my bio didn't have that luxury because he was scrammed and webbed and outside docking range, there was no hope he was going to save his 15 bil worth of ship and goodies, so what about his feelings? He lost a lot more than Sohkar and he even had the decency to give me a "ty" in local when I popped his badly placed cyno alt. Should I be banned if he petitioned ccp with his distress over losing about $500 worth of internet space stuff to a pirate because he was stupid?

What about if I **** talked at him in local? Call him an idiot, loser etc, the usual trolling, should a petition result in a ban? What about bumping? Freighter pilots are often forced to sit for up to an hour being bumped without anyway to escape only to watch 20 cats land on him and blow him to bits, is that torture? Should bumping be bannable to avoid 'torturing' people? At the very least we can all agree it would be rather distressing. Should we ban suicide ganking because it causes a lot of distress? Just because people aren't always recorded losing it on TS doesn't make their suffering any less. Indeed there would be many an eve mail saved documenting the victims distress.

The only reason this is an issue is because Sokhar played a game he couldn't handle, lost it, then by losing it loudly, dragged his wife in. At that point it would've been 'nice' if Ero pulled the plug and gave his stuff back, purely because it was clear Sohkar wasn't coping and a third party not involved in the game became involved. But this is EVE and Ero doesn't have to be 'nice'.

Fyi, a bunch of nerd men comparing this to **** would undoubtedly be very offensive to women and comparing this to torture would be same to former pow's, torture victims, and is reason enough this joke of a thread shouldve been locked 150 pages back and the issue suppressed for being ridiculous.
Jill Chastot
WE FORM BL0B Inc.
Goonswarm Federation
#4075 - 2014-03-27 00:09:32 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Jill Chastot wrote:

/enlightenment

Not illegal... Just against the EULA... It won't get you jail... Just banned.

/facepalm

Point ------

Your head ------

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4076 - 2014-03-27 00:09:39 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Rumour mongering is a bannable offence.

well there go the forums, then

m

Nothing can be bannable right now on the forum.

It's fairly clear that CCP's application of the rules is non-existent at the moment.
Simyaldee
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4077 - 2014-03-27 00:10:45 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Simyaldee wrote:

If someone wanted to make it public they could make it public, contacting Erotica and threatening to out him if he doesn't do what you say is blackmail, Although I wouldn't be surprised by much of what Erotica does at this point.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4396444#post4396444

Member, Fighter and FC for The Great Harmon Institute of Technology 

Ripard Teg
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4078 - 2014-03-27 00:12:24 UTC
Hi everyone,

I've been staying out of this thread partially because I've already given my opinions on this matter on my blog, partially to let players hash it out without it becoming about me, and partially because I have a damn hard time following EVE-O forum threads because of the way the software is designed.

I do have to say that I'm utterly stunned at the size of this thread. Without realizing it, I've clearly tapped into a vast river of player feeling about EVE Online culture and where that culture should go in the future. I don't shy away from that. I'm glad this conversation is happening. I also want to stress right out front that I am not anti-scam, anti-suicide gank, anti-non-consensual PvP, or anti-gray areas in EVE. I am for all of these things and anyone who tells you different is lying or wrong.

But there are limits. And Erotica 1 and his "agents" have crossed them.

I want to thank everyone who sent me e-mails or EVE mails in support of my blog post. My position on this matter remains unchanged. Erotica 1 and his "agents" have no place in the EVE Online community. This isn't about scamming people. Scamming people is fine and I have no problem with it. But in the bonus room, in ten minutes the scam is OVER. The scammers have won. It's the other 135 or more minutes that I object to. Why do they have to prolong this sick, reprehensible behavior to these lengths? Why do they have to do it to dozens or hundreds of people? Why do they have to train a small army of people to do it? When is enough enough?

I feel CCP should permaban Erotica 1 and seize all of his assets to send a clear and strong message that this kind of activity will simply not be tolerated in the EVE Online community. Then turn on his "agents": temp bans, asset seizures, and negative ISK balances there. The agents will be simple enough to track down: pull Erotica 1's wallet. Assume everyone who sends him a large amount of ISK is a victim. Investigate contracts created by those victims. Anyone to whom a contract is sent is a target to be investigated.

Again, this isn't about the scams. Scams are fine. This is about sick, reprehensible behavior and psychological harassment of CCP's customers. CCP has the right to protect their customers and decide what is and what is not acceptable behavior in New Eden. CCP: please make it clear for EVE's second decade that this kind of thing is simply unacceptable in our community.

That's all. Thanks again to everyone involved in this discussion! I'm glad it's taking place. I'll continue to try to keep up as best I can.

aka Jester, who apparently was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer to good effect.

Navi Annages
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4079 - 2014-03-27 00:14:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Navi Annages
Ripard Teg wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been staying out of this thread partially because I've already given my opinions on this matter on my blog, partially to let players hash it out without it becoming about me, and partially because I have a damn hard time following EVE-O forum threads because of the way the software is designed.

I do have to say that I'm utterly stunned at the size of this thread. Without realizing it, I've clearly tapped into a vast river of player feeling about EVE Online culture and where that culture should go in the future. I don't shy away from that. I'm glad this conversation is happening. I also want to stress right out front that I am not anti-scam, anti-suicide gank, anti-non-consensual PvP, or anti-gray areas in EVE. I am for all of these things and anyone who tells you different is lying or wrong.

But there are limits. And Erotica 1 and his "agents" have crossed them.

I want to thank everyone who sent me e-mails or EVE mails in support of my blog post. My position on this matter remains unchanged. Erotica 1 and his "agents" have no place in the EVE Online community. This isn't about scamming people. Scamming people is fine and I have no problem with it. But in the bonus room, in ten minutes the scam is OVER. The scammers have won. It's the other 135 or more minutes that I object to. Why do they have to prolong this sick, reprehensible behavior to these lengths? Why do they have to do it to dozens or hundreds of people? Why do they have to train a small army of people to do it? When is enough enough?

I feel CCP should permaban Erotica 1 and seize all of his assets to send a clear and strong message that this kind of activity will simply not be tolerated in the EVE Online community. Then turn on his "agents": temp bans, asset seizures, and negative ISK balances there. The agents will be simple enough to track down: pull Erotica 1's wallet. Assume everyone who sends him a large amount of ISK is a victim. Investigate contracts created by those victims. Anyone to whom a contract is sent is a target to be investigated.

Again, this isn't about the scams. Scams are fine. This is about sick, reprehensible behavior and psychological harassment of CCP's customers. CCP has the right to protect their customers and decide what is and what is not acceptable behavior in New Eden. CCP: please make it clear for EVE's second decade that this kind of thing is simply unacceptable in our community.

That's all. Thanks again to everyone involved in this discussion! I'm glad it's taking place. I'll continue to try to keep up as best I can.

Ladies and Gentleman I am currently accepting donations on behalf of Sohkar in regards the infamous Erotica 1 debacle. Anything you can donate will be presented to Sohkar on his return to eve online.

Ripard Teg is all for Sohkar showing off an orange jumpsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-JfK-wwFU

Dieterlin
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#4080 - 2014-03-27 00:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Dieterlin
Jenn aSide wrote:
Jill Chastot wrote:

/enlightenment

it IS illegal (against the rules) in EVE online to be racist and homophobic. If the person who didn't break the rules (E1) should be punished, the guy who did break the rules should be punished more severly.

And death threats are illegal (against the law) everywhere I know of.

In the EULA, under "Specifically Restricted Conduct":

EULA wrote:
You may not submit any content to any chat room or other public forum within the Game that is harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, libelous or defamatory, encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liabilities, or is unlawful in any other way, including without limitation the submission of content that infringes on a third-party’s intellectual property rights.

Now, if Ero1's teamspeak falls under this section of the EULA, both Ero1 and the victim should be banned. Ero1 is clearly harassing other players ("behaviour intended to disturb or upset" outside of normal gameplay) and the victim is clearly making threats.

If Ero1's teamspeak isn't covered by the EULA, then it's completely up to CCP's judgement what happens next.

But you really can't say that E1 is "the person who didn't break the rules", because either they both did or they both didn't.