These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#4041 - 2014-03-26 23:44:46 UTC
dexington wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
He's a sadistic & really creepy person.

He probably is. What i wonder is in what warped world is creepy and sadistic worse than Racist and willing to Threaten someone's life and family.

Nevermind the part where he & several other people did their best over two hours to illicit this exact response. You seem to be justifying the act with the result, which was clearly intended.

Which doesn't matter because the grown man consented to it and did not disconnect.

Erotica could have had him in TS for 10 hours, or 100. There is no excuse AT ALL for threating to do bodily harm to a man, and his family and to racially abuse people.

He took advantage of someone, and you can't understand that person got upset and angry.... welcome to the real world...

You haven't been reading my posts then. He had every right to be angry....at him self for being a greedy 2009 born player and grown married man who let him get scammed by THE most well known scammer in EVE. He could also be angry at E1, but most of his anger should have been at himself for being dumb.

But did he choose to go on team speak, tell E1 to screw himself and then disconnect? No, and it's to bad, because that would have been all right.

He decided to stay and try to get his 'stuff back and when that failed he THREATEN THE LIFE of anohter human being, racially absued someone who identified himself as being of African descent and went crazy.

In other words, the reaction was worse than the cause, and the reaction removed from sensible people any sense of sympathy we would have had for the 'victim'.
Victor Markov
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4042 - 2014-03-26 23:45:54 UTC
I see a lot of people using law and rules as a shield as if this was some kind of government. There are no laws saying what he did was wrong and so he can't be punished sort of thing. Fallowed by arguments saying if you punish him you change the laws and people will exploit those laws.
Eve is not a government it is more like a home or a store. If I don't like your attitude I will ask you to get out of my home. Stores kick people out for being rude all the time and they don't even have to break any rules to be kicked out.

One of the CSM's asked what stops them from banning homosexuals or homophobics. The answer to that is nothing... nothing stops them now however.

If this was my game/house I would ban the lot of them even the victim at least temporarily. It might not be breaking the rules but you don't get to come in to my house and **** up the place and I just so happen to have the right to refuse service to anyone for anything... that part is even in the rules.
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4043 - 2014-03-26 23:46:52 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Rumour mongering is a bannable offence.

well there go the forums, then

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#4044 - 2014-03-26 23:47:15 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

You haven't been reading my posts then. He had every right to be angry....at him self for being a greedy 2009 born player and grown married man who let him get scammed by THE most well known scammer in EVE. He could also be angry at E1, but most of his anger should have been at himself for being dumb.

But did he choose to go on team speak, tell E1 to screw himself and then disconnect? No, and it's to bad, because that would have been all right.

He decided to stay and try to get his 'stuff back and when that failed he THREATEN THE LIFE of anohter human being, racially absued someone who identified himself as being of African descent and went crazy.

In other words, the reaction was worse than the cause, and the reaction removed from sensible people any sense of sympathy we would have had for the 'victim'.

/thread

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4045 - 2014-03-26 23:47:34 UTC
Mikey Aivo wrote:
Its no different than a goon recruitment scam. You take his assets and wait til he figures out hes been scammed. When completed post logs on goonfleet for everyone in the cfc to call you a hero. Might take an hour might take a day might take 3 days. Doesnt matter. I support both. Erotica had no idea how long it would take for this guy to figure it out and was simply playing the role of scammer, could of been 10 hours could of been 10 minutes

I don't think Goons take all the victims assets, and then ask the victim to go on voice comms only to torment him for hours, so they can further humiliate him publicly...

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4046 - 2014-03-26 23:48:52 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Yeah, whatever.

By your own reasoning it doesn't count because it was made outside the game and thus breaks no rules.

What's good for the goose...and all that stuff.

Mr Epeen Cool
Simyaldee
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4047 - 2014-03-26 23:49:30 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Rumour mongering is a bannable offence.

well there go the forums, then

m

I laughed, because it's definitely true.

Is there a point where the thread gets so big that it starts the singularity?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4396444#post4396444

Member, Fighter and FC for The Great Harmon Institute of Technology 

Styledatol
Stellar Forge Industries
#4048 - 2014-03-26 23:50:22 UTC
The actions of Erotica, though distasteful, are not illegal. If the EVE community feels so strongly about that person, players can deal with the matter their own way: We're a creative bunch, there are ways to make Erotica's EVE experience unpleasant enough for him to ragequit - But this won't happen, we either don't care as much as we say we do, or we're content with 'fighting the good fight' only when others have to do the hard/dirty work.

The victim was not forced to endure that whole thing, no one pointed a gun to his head or threatened his family. If you're attached to your space pixels enough to go apeshit when you lose them this way, a tasteless prank is the least of your mental problems.

If you really have a problem with what happened, be the damn hero you're painting yourself to be. Do some spy work, mittens-style, find out everything about Erotica, and make his EVE experience hell.
Dieterlin
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#4049 - 2014-03-26 23:50:22 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
dexington wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

He probably is. What i wonder is in what warped world is creepy and sadistic worse than Racist and willing to Threaten someone's life and family.

Nevermind the part where he & several other people did their best over two hours to illicit this exact response. You seem to be justifying the act with the result, which was clearly intended.

Which doesn't matter because the grown man consented to it and did not disconnect.

Erotica could have had him in TS for 10 hours, or 100. There is no excuse AT ALL for threating to do bodily harm to a man, and his family and to racially abuse people.

He took advantage of someone, and you can't understand that person got upset and angry.... welcome to the real world...

Victims don't have to be innocent, or intelligent. This is irrelevant to the discussion about Ero1, but seems to be repeated every second post for some reason - probably because what Ero1 did is indefensible, and his supporters need to divert the conversation to something else.

Now, the victim is clearly also guilty of using slurs and making threats, and may deserve a ban as well, but that's a separate issue entirely.
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4050 - 2014-03-26 23:51:25 UTC
Victor Markov wrote:
I see a lot of people using law and rules as a shield as if this was some kind of government. There are no laws saying what he did was wrong and so he can't be punished sort of thing. Fallowed by arguments saying if you punish him you change the laws and people will exploit those laws.
Eve is not a government it is more like a home or a store. If I don't like your attitude I will ask you to get out of my home. Stores kick people out for being rude all the time and they don't even have to break any rules to be kicked out.

One of the CSM's asked what stops them from banning homosexuals or homophobics. The answer to that is nothing... nothing stops them now however.

If this was my game/house I would ban the lot of them even the victim at least temporarily. It might not be breaking the rules but you don't get to come in to my house and **** up the place and I just so happen to have the right to refuse service to anyone for anything... that part is even in the rules.

Umm wait are you comparing in game behavior to RL??? I would be in prison for murder if RL laws applied to Eve.

Bottom line is if he scammed him out of in game assets and didn't attack his RL person there's nothing wrong.
Upde
Upde Harris Industries
#4051 - 2014-03-26 23:51:26 UTC
Mikey Aivo wrote:
Its no different than a goon recruitment scam. You take his assets and wait til he figures out hes been scammed. When completed post logs on goonfleet for everyone in the cfc to call you a hero. Might take an hour might take a day might take 3 days. Doesnt matter. I support both. Erotica had no idea how long it would take for this guy to figure it out and was simply playing the role of scammer, could of been 10 hours could of been 10 minutes

its not the same at all. The scam was already done, what followed was a plain and simple dismantling of a "real person" not an in game character for perverse kicks.

At least GSF do it with a bit of class and for the best part keep it in game.

The fact that even GSF guys are posting in here stating they think a line was crossed makes you stop and think. GSF are the kings of scam / meta and widely held as the most hated group of gamers in EVE or amybe even in the entire MMO scene. So if a group so widely despised for their scams even think this is one step beyond then maybe they have got a point ??

For the record I am not, have never been and will never be a part of GSF or the CFC so no clever ripostes of my being a GSF alt needed here.
Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#4052 - 2014-03-26 23:51:31 UTC
This is a game that--by design--allows and sometimes encourages people to be assholes, and no one wants that to change. Actually, that last bit isn't quite true. There are a lot of players who would love it if EvE were just a space version of unicorn hugs and puppy dog dreams. But the core of the population doesn't want that to change.

I think that what Erotica 1 does is gross. I think that given enough time Erotica or someone like him doing something similar will happen to pick just the right player in the right kind of mental condition and end up precipitating a suicide. It seems inevitable that if you create a game environment that encourages people to be terrible to one another, people will be as terrible to each other as they can get away with. And there's at least one person out there who would really get off on "causing" someone to commit suicide. To be clear, I'm not saying Erotica is that person. He probably has limits. But there is almost certainly someone out there who doesn't.

But here's the problem: we have some general guidelines about griefing and harassment being defined as a person or a group of people specifically targeting an individual and doing so repeatedly. Because Erotica doesn't (to my limited knowledge, anyway) ever do this to the same person twice, he skirts the rules as they are currently assumed to exist.

I'm being vague above because I don't know that CCP has ever actually come out and said precisely how griefing and harassment are defined. I think they like to have some wiggle room. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, if CCP does something to Erotica over this incident, it's going to be very tough to do it without setting a precedent that takes away from the core of EvE gameplay. The lines all around are pretty blurry. You can (very fairly) describe what Erotica 1 does as preying on those of a certain mindset and taking joy in inflicting misery on them.

But you could also say the same thing about your run-of-the-mill corp thief, awoxer, pirate, scammer, or ninja salvager. That description would be just as fair from other points of view.

This is the internet; everyone is a monster to someone. Yes. You too.

The completely EvE response to this is, "No real life harm (to either party), no foul, no action against any of the involved players."

I don't know if CCP will choose that response, though, because a) this kind of thing is headed in a truly bad direction even if this particular event wasn't horrible, b) human empathy, c) PR, or d) some combination of the above.

One of the nice things about running a game as opposed to, say, a republic, is that there are no rights, there are no rules except what CCP says.

You can make a strong argument that the "victim" should be banned for making death threats and showering verbal abuse and racism on another player. Without a doubt, this is strong.

You can also make the argument that Erotica 1, alts, and friends should get banned because because they actually do repeatedly harass and grief a very specific group of people: people who are in a mental condition to self-select their way into the bonus room.
I think this is less strong, but strong enough.

CCP can do either one or both of those without altering core game play though. They can do it by stating what we all know is true: the lines about griefing and harassment are fuzzy and ill-defined. They act when they see fit because they can. And they can act on this without saying a single thing for people to generalize from. Or they can say nothing. Or they can do nothing.

And that's fine too.

The bottom line is that this is an example of "EvE is real". All the white knighting about the "victim" is probably mostly coming from the people who would really prefer that EvE turned into rainbow unicorn farts online. All the people defending Erotica 1 are probably just as scummy as I think Erotica 1 is. And to both of those groups of people, I am probably the worst kind of player who has ever existed because I use colgate instead of crest, or I am a member of RvB, or because I almost never log on, and therefore enjoy the ability to forum warrior without being available to blow up in-game.

I am a monster in the eve universe. Just like you.

One thing I can say with some certainty is that Erotica 1 enjoys publicity. I'm pretty sure all possible arguments about this topic have been made in one way or another. Everything else is just feeding his ego. I suggest stopping. Let this thread die. Wait for CCP to respond or not respond. More of this is just fodder for Erotica 1 to get off on.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#4053 - 2014-03-26 23:51:55 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Yeah, whatever.

By your own reasoning it doesn't count because it was made outside the game and thus breaks no rules.

Mr Epeen Cool

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the other guy who said that: Are you sure you are replying to the right person? I haven't made much of an issue about it being in game vs out. I do't really care about that.

I care that people think a scammer scamming (even using ts) for isk and tears is somehow the devil yet the person who actually threaten the life of others and proved to be both racist and homophobic is ok because he was somehow "under duress".
olan2005
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4054 - 2014-03-26 23:55:15 UTC
H aVo K wrote:
olan2005 wrote:
7 . This kind of brutal humiliation of people and psychological bullying through ransom of assets , needs to be stated by CCP to be illegal when using out of game mechanisms. BASICALLY MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO INVITE PEOPLE TO TEAMSPEAK SO FORTH WHEN YOUR SCAMMING THEM . This keeps everything within the EULA by keeping it in-game. As such it can be handled by CCP within the EULA framework

This would likely have an unintended effect on awoxing and corporate espionage.

Then ill adjust it

Make so when scamming individual players and or griefing individual players you can only use IN-GAME mechanisms
E.G i decide o become a scammer

I choose to scam a person out of their isk and assets . I use out of game mechanisms to do so it is illegal

E.G I decide to be a spy or thief within a corp/ alliance

I use out of game mechanisms like Teamspeak . This is fine as my intent is to steal from a corporation, and inflict financial damage to a in-game entity , that consists of real people , but it is not specifically directed at them . It is done with the purpose of theft of goods not to DELIBERATELY cause someone psychological harm. Or it is done to benefit my alliance not out of intent to cause the poeple in said corp/alliance duress.
Jill Chastot
WE FORM BL0B Inc.
Goonswarm Federation
#4055 - 2014-03-26 23:56:58 UTC
Styledatol wrote:
The actions of Erotica, though distasteful, are not illegal. If the EVE community feels so strongly about that person, players can deal with the matter their own way: We're a creative bunch, there are ways to make Erotica's EVE experience unpleasant enough for him to ragequit - But this won't happen, we either don't care as much as we say we do, or we're content with 'fighting the good fight' only when others have to do the hard/dirty work.

The victim was not forced to endure that whole thing, no one pointed a gun to his head or threatened his family. If you're attached to your space pixels enough to go apeshit when you lose them this way, a tasteless prank is the least of your mental problems.

If you really have a problem with what happened, be the damn hero you're painting yourself to be. Do some spy work, mittens-style, find out everything about Erotica, and make his EVE experience hell.

Until Dustbunnies can raid stations i don't think it will work :c

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4056 - 2014-03-26 23:57:04 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Yeah, whatever.

Mr Epeen Cool

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the other guy who said that: Are you sure you are replying to the right person? I haven't made much of an issue about it being in game vs out. I do't really care about that.

I care that people think a scammer scamming (even using ts) for isk and tears is somehow the devil yet the person who actually threaten the life of others and proved to be both racist and homophobic is ok because he was somehow "under duress".

If one of them made RL threats, racist/ or homophobic comments CCP should take action. I think that's just inexcusable. It doesn't matter if it's in local chat or on Teamspeak. I'm all for the in game content for example you should be allowed to kill in game... NOT in RL... If someone can't separate the two perhaps they shouldn't play Eve or any other MMO where they could harm other people in RL
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4057 - 2014-03-26 23:57:26 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
He could also be angry at E1, but most of his anger should have been at himself for being dumb.

Great logic... you should join the bonus round table of interviewers, i can easily pictures you sitting there telling a person who has just been scammed out of everything and ridiculed for hours, that he should be angry at himself for being a dumb ****...

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4058 - 2014-03-26 23:57:28 UTC
Simyaldee wrote:
However I also condemn those who may or may not have Blackmailed Erotica 1 for one reason or another.

There's blackmail, & then there's linking your Amazon.com profile in an EVE chat that you later post on to a public pastebin which reveals some pretty nasty things about that guy you thought was only getting people to rub mayonaise on their chest.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Jill Chastot
WE FORM BL0B Inc.
Goonswarm Federation
#4059 - 2014-03-26 23:59:03 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Yeah, whatever.

Mr Epeen Cool

Last i checked it's not illegal to be rascist or homophobic, just socially unacceptable,

Oh wait thats what this entire thread is about....

Cultural and social acceptabilities in an online game...

/enlightenment

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Sturmwolke
#4060 - 2014-03-27 00:00:43 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I'm curious. Why is everyone (well a good percentage, anyway) using a guys racial slurs and death threats made after the fact to negate everything that led up to it?

Strange way to justify what a freakin' sick douche does for jollies.

Mr Epeen Cool

Well, if you want to change a thread's conversation, bombard it with posts that directs readers to towards same focus.
Guess who's been working hard Smile