These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why dont we use the cloud?

Author
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#121 - 2014-03-06 04:07:46 UTC
"The Cloud"

Just another keyword thrown around by marketers, trendies and cargo cultists who got their certs early.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

hshshshshshshsh
Doomheim
#122 - 2014-03-06 04:08:05 UTC
I don't always play games online,
but when I do.. I get the data from multiple servers with different responsetimes so the data my computer needs arrives in a as random order as possible, making is unplayable.. - oh no, wait, I use TCP so Im laggy as hell.. No wait........

How about CCP just uploads all the server responses as torrents, then we can share them between each other so when we get DDOS'ed we will just download it from each other? !!!
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#123 - 2014-03-06 04:12:38 UTC
hshshshshshshsh wrote:
How about CCP just uploads all the server responses as torrents, then we can share them between each other so when we get DDOS'ed we will just download it from each other? !!!

Don't be silly. That's not going to work. You forgot to add in crypto currency.
Tesco Ergo Sum
#124 - 2014-03-06 04:26:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tesco Ergo Sum
It's times like this when I rely on the inspiration and leadership of Ted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOoQFa5ug8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

Sadly no longer with us and I believe this is why we have the troubles seen today!

EDIT: Al Gore is still with us, he invented the Internet and must surely be the only one who can save us now...
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#125 - 2014-03-06 04:34:22 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Wow this is still going on?

Just look at the quote in my sig for explanation....

Kate. Your hair.

This thread is now about Kate's hair, and how awesome it is.
Praetor Meles
Black Mount Industrial
Breakpoint.
#126 - 2014-03-06 09:45:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Praetor Meles
Remiel Pollard wrote:
If more people knew what they were doing, computer systems around the world would be more secure, more stable.

I agree with just about everything you said in your post and even, to a degree, this last sentence too.

However, I'd point out that's akin to saying "if more people locked their homes properly, there would be less theft." Which is just a short hop away from "if she wasn't dressed like that, she would be less likely to be raped".

Don't get me wrong, I lock my door at nights as a sensible precaution like most people do. But whether my house is made of straw like the first little piggy, or is made of kevlar-reinforced superbrick, it should never be my fault that I'm burgled. It is always the fault of the burglar. Always.

From your tone I know you're not blaming the victim, so apologies for singling you out - your last sentence just struck me as being initially sensible, but the thin edge of the wedge with respect to some of the "blame the victim" chat I've seen on this forum recently. The real villians are the idiots doing it (e.g. DDoS). More security is sensible, yes, but I'd much rather the perpetrators were tracked down and, er, "re-educated" than we just keep building higher walls.

Also, confirming Commissar Kate has awesome hair. And gets an 8/10 for general cuteness.

[insert random rubbish that irritates you personally] is further evidence that Eve is dying/thriving*

• delete as required to make your point
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#127 - 2014-03-06 10:09:05 UTC
Praetor Meles wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
If more people knew what they were doing, computer systems around the world would be more secure, more stable.

However, I'd point out that's akin to saying "if more people locked their homes properly, there would be less theft." Which is just a short hop away from "if she wasn't dressed like that, she would be less likely to be raped".

Not really. I get the parallel, but the problem is the perspective. See, everything we do in life has risk. Everything. If I decide to go camping in the woods, and those woods have man-eating bears for example, and I don't do anything to mitigate the risk of being eaten by those bears because I don't know they're there, then it's still the bear that eats me, absolutely. However, could it have been a different result if I'd know those bears were there. Do I not go camping? No, but I might consider taking a shotgun and learning something about the habits of those bears.

Just as if you don't lock up your home, you fail to mitigate the risk against burglars. Does that mean we bar up our homes and pad ourselves in cotton wool? Does that mean it's your fault you got robbed if you don't lock your home? No, of course not, and nothing in life comes without risk. The unfortunate situation of the world is, there are unscrupulous people who will take advantage of that failure to mitigate the risks we take, and until we address the underlying problems that cause those people to exist, we have to be prepared, and armed with knowledge more than anything, for the attack to come, even if it never does.

It's like owning a pool. You put up a fence to mitigate the risk of children getting in there and drowning. If you own a gun, you mitigate the risk of accidental misfire by putting the safety on. Driving a car, you mitigate the risk of serious injury or death by wearing a seatbelt.

I'm not blaming the victims. I only stated a fact - if more people knew more about the machines they operated, they would know more about mitigating the risk they take when using it. Attacks would still occur, they would still be attempted. And they would still be entirely the attacker's fault, but whether or not the attack succeeds or fails is, in part, up to the victim of that attack. The more knowledge you have about the risks you're taking, the better prepared you are for them to actually occur. This is why education is so important. Knowledge is power, knowledge can save your life.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#128 - 2014-03-06 10:10:08 UTC
Aih-Li Tahn wrote:
so its easier to "LOL UR DUMB" than explain why someone is wrong, yes? maybe u could get "crayons" and explain why thousand of computers working together to spread work and reduce ddos is wrong?

Because it is not about how many computers work together. It is about how fast them communicate with each other. Computing power isn't the challenge. Communicating the variables and outcomes of computations is.
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#129 - 2014-03-06 10:38:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Yang Aurilen
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Praetor Meles wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:

Not really. I get the parallel, but the problem is the perspective. See, everything we do in life has risk. Everything. If I decide to go camping in the woods, and those woods have man-eating bears for example, and I don't do anything to mitigate the risk of being eaten by those bears because I don't know they're there, then it's still the bear that eats me, absolutely. However, could it have been a different result if I'd know those bears were there. Do I not go camping? No, but I might consider taking a shotgun and learning something about the habits of those bears.

Just as if you don't lock up your home, you fail to mitigate the risk against burglars. Does that mean we bar up our homes and pad ourselves in cotton wool? Does that mean it's your fault you got robbed if you don't lock your home? No, of course not, and nothing in life comes without risk. The unfortunate situation of the world is, there are unscrupulous people who will take advantage of that failure to mitigate the risks we take, and until we address the underlying problems that cause those people to exist, we have to be prepared, and armed with knowledge more than anything, for the attack to come, even if it never does.

It's like owning a pool. You put up a fence to mitigate the risk of children getting in there and drowning. If you own a gun, you mitigate the risk of accidental misfire by putting the safety on. Driving a car, you mitigate the risk of serious injury or death by wearing a seatbelt.

I'm not blaming the victims. I only stated a fact - if more people knew more about the machines they operated, they would know more about mitigating the risk they take when using it. Attacks would still occur, they would still be attempted. And they would still be entirely the attacker's fault, but whether or not the attack succeeds or fails is, in part, up to the victim of that attack. The more knowledge you have about the risks you're taking, the better prepared you are for them to actually occur. This is why education is so important. Knowledge is power, knowledge can save your life.

TL;DR
Miners fit tank so you don't get ganked alot.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#130 - 2014-03-06 10:57:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Chribba
Came looking for Clear Skies IV, all I found was talk about Clouds.

Also, for people that think they have the solutions/improvements to CCP's technology/infrastructure - http://www.ccpgames.com/en/jobs/job-details.aspx?jobid=505
/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#131 - 2014-03-06 11:32:05 UTC
If OP isn't testing out material for a new series of the IT crowd I will be disappointed.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Bael Malefic
Doomheim
#132 - 2014-03-06 11:38:44 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Aih-Li Tahn wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

Remember. Hardware is not dedicated to you in hosted or cloud based service.

its not and there is still need for some dedicated processing (eg big battles) but the remainder load can be split up a LOT and done in paralel. ive read about what ccp uses to run eve and it looks limiting in this way

Communication between the servers then becomes your bottleneck. Which will make thing even worse.

Just FYI:

IBM blade servers with 280 total cores, and more than 4.8 terabytes of local storage. The Tranquility cabinets require 79 kilowatts of power and are housed in a cold-aisle containment system to manage airflow and server waste heat. “Cold air from the center of the aisle is force-fed into the cabinets reducing the loss or wasted cool air significantly and helping to focus cold air where it’s needed most,” Wise writes. “This takes the industry standard “hot aisle/cold aisle” designs a step further without having to do anything crazy like running servers under nitrogen pools (although that is pretty cool).”

Internally, the network for Tranquility consists of internal fiber channel 4Gb/s backbones, with internal database communication on a separate 10Gb/s backbone.

Externally, CCP peers with multiple external transit providers and essentially acts as a tier-3 ISP, with only one customer- Tranquility.

That alone should make you... OHHH ok... understood.

Perhaps the OP is a junior level marketing muppet for a cloud service provider, or aspires to be one?

Every time I hear "cloud" in a meeting, I know the person "evangelizing" it is basically a fool.
Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#133 - 2014-03-06 12:18:02 UTC
Bael Malefic wrote:
Perhaps the OP is a junior level marketing muppet for a cloud service provider, or aspires to be one?

Every time I hear "cloud" in a meeting, I know the person "evangelizing" it is basically a fool.

When asked what I do by normal humans I just say cloud stuff...

Nyan

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#134 - 2014-03-06 12:46:22 UTC
The Cloud:

A bunch of, generally, low power compute resources, mashed up behind a load balancer.

Great for activities which don't interact with other people, running at human response times. Not so good when one person's activities directly impact someone else, running at a higher than human response time.

Human response times: Generally slower than one hertz. Web browsing, for example. so you have a number of people accessing a site at greater than one page per second. But looking at one individual person, it's normally several seconds between page views. It's a very easy task to split up.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#135 - 2014-03-06 12:56:55 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:

really long essay

TL;DR
Miners fit tank so you don't get ganked alot.

Pretty much this. It's not gonna stop people from trying, but it reduces your chance of losing your ship to said gank.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Rashnu Gorbani
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#136 - 2014-03-06 13:13:54 UTC
One step at a time, let's parallelize Eve for multiple cores and we can figure where to go from there. :)
(no, no cloud...)
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#137 - 2014-03-06 13:28:00 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:

Kate. Your hair.

Haha was that the short or long? I agree the short was awesome and I had nothing but compliments. I just changed it back to long though.

Also lol at this thread.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#138 - 2014-03-06 17:04:14 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:

Kate. Your hair.

Haha was that the short or long? I agree the short was awesome and I had nothing but compliments. I just changed it back to long though.

Also lol at this thread.

It was the short, but I now see the long, and it's equally as adorable. I like that you seem to have darkened it slightly as of late.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#139 - 2014-03-06 17:59:04 UTC
I have the solution!

Lets de-centralize Eve's computations, roll D6's in our basements instead and post the results here.

We will call it The Nebula.