These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probably the WORST event I've wasted my time on in my 10 years of EVE ...

First post First post
Author
Mark Radosevic
Sabotage Incorporated
#1301 - 2013-11-20 16:14:06 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:
Mark Radosevic wrote:
My main objection is that call to empire/hisec was misleading. It looked like PvE thing and even Sansha were mentioned.

On the other side call to pirates was spot on - come and fight empire.

This caused a great confusion - CCP had to be more clear and in event invite state clearly - you will go to low/null, pvp will happen, use clean/pvp clones and equip properly.

Confusing invite to hisec caused low preparation for what was about to happend.

I thinkg most of the people that participated does not object the fact that they got killed but the fact that they fell mislead and fooled.

Write better event invites.

Or, maybe, just maybe, people should stop expecting to be told "you are venturing into the danger zone, wear your hard hat" and start thinking for themselves. We actually didn't expect empire people to be rerouted our way - thinking CCP organized a full-fledged safe rat turkey shoot for carebears.

Heh, go figure - people get welped into the wall and instead of thinking what they could do to avoid in the future they demand others to do something instead.

There are signs to wear helmet on construction site because not all people know something (like a hammer) can drop on their head from above.

No harm would come from more clear warning, it could just improve overall experience for people that do not know what to expect in null sec.
The PitBoss
Interstellar Brotherhood of Gravediggers
#1302 - 2013-11-25 00:46:07 UTC
My work is done here .. please lock the thread

Thank you to all who participated

Nolak Ataru
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1303 - 2013-12-04 05:31:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Nolak Ataru
still waiting for:

• Somer Blink credit for this live event

• [*] An actual response from someone on the Live Event team to explain what they were thinking.
    Maximus Aerelius
    PROPHET OF ENIGMA
    #1304 - 2013-12-04 07:13:21 UTC
    Nolak Ataru wrote:
    still waiting for:

• An actual response from someone on the Live Event team to explain what they were thinking.

• The official "response" can be found here: Dev Blog: Operation Spectre - Event Breakdown and FAQ
    Nevyn Auscent
    Broke Sauce
    #1305 - 2013-12-04 09:49:35 UTC
    Maximus Aerelius wrote:
    Nolak Ataru wrote:
    still waiting for:

• An actual response from someone on the Live Event team to explain what they were thinking.

• The official "response" can be found here: Dev Blog: Operation Spectre - Event Breakdown and FAQ

Which says nothing as it's an outright lie in points. One of the few Dev blogs I've ever been disgusted in reading.
    Nolak Ataru
    Hedion University
    Amarr Empire
    #1306 - 2013-12-04 14:27:42 UTC
    Nevyn Auscent wrote:
    Maximus Aerelius wrote:
    Nolak Ataru wrote:
    still waiting for:

Which says nothing as it's an outright lie in points. One of the few Dev blogs I've ever been disgusted in reading.

Yeah. Nothing but ass-covering, excuse making, and standard boiler-plate space-filling nonsense. The only time I've heard more ass-covering was during election season.
    Jurchik82
    Independent Union
    Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
    #1307 - 2013-12-05 04:37:23 UTC
    Speedkermit Damo wrote:
    Fourteen Maken wrote:
    Dear Nul people

Nobody cares about losing their ships, everyone that went to the event expected their ship would get blown up. It didn't matter if it was happening in high, low, or nul it was always going to end in a free for all, so stop congratulating yourselves, its a bit sad taking the credit for this. By the time we got the length of your fleets we were strung out half way across empire space and most just wanted to get blown up so the whole stupid ordeal would be over. A lot of people self destructed before jumping into nul, I thought I'd jump in and have a few seconds of action after all the time I wasted getting there because I had nothing to lose, but after reading the hollow boasting on here I see why people would rather not give you the satisfaction of a kill report. Your not the ones harvesting tears here, we were trolled by CCP, i'd just like to know why a company that wants to stay in business thinks it's a good idea to troll their own customers?

This whole event was staged to make high sec players into cannon fodder for nulsec alliances, they did everything possible to ensure we would be completely helpless when we got there, and they made sure we didn't know we were going to nulsec until it was too late to turn back. I'm disgusted tbh

This basically,

CCP stitched you all up.

Arf!

Jai Centarium
    Anqara Expeditions
    #1308 - 2013-12-06 22:12:31 UTC
    Horatio Nately wrote:
    this event was complete **** although I shouldn't be surprised since ccp hasn't been able to run competent events since they let go all of their live event staff.

Viva la AURORA.

Except for the minor detail that it was corrupt to the core, they did some really cool things. Oftentimes, they were just small scale events that if you happened to be in the constellation, you'd hear about and get to interact with them. Like all good things, however, it came to an end, in part because people kept tipping off their friends when there would be loot available.

Still, AURORA is missed. It added a really nice dimension that, albeit in limited quantities, made the world feel more alive, rather than a static thing that only reacted when players poked at it.

Certified purveyor of the High Life.

Katran Luftschreck
    Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
    #1309 - 2013-12-07 17:51:29 UTC
    ISD Suvetar wrote:
    Hi Folks,

We understand completely that there are a number of different opinions about this event.

Yes, and that number is two.

#1) The event participants, who universally agree that it sucked donkey balls.

#2) The nullbear gatecampers who got to pad their killboards, who universally agree that it was the greatest thing ever.

Knowing CCP's track record when it comes to favoritism, I expect the next live event to exactly the same.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Corraidhin Farsaidh
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #1310 - 2013-12-19 11:18:52 UTC
    Next event of this sort could easily be made more fair by using single-ended exploration gates to launch fleets into the target system, since landing point are random it at least gives each entering fleet a chance to get organized and offer a defence.

Another simple solution is to have empire stealth boats cloaked in the target system (as would be the case in any pre-planned op I would think). These would then jump fleets in to safe spots to stage assaults from.

I think this would be far more entertaining for the null-sec folks too, would present more of a challenge. If I had turned to the Null side I would have been so bored sitting there shooting sitting targets (the Farce was indeed strong in this op).

Next event needs to be planned properly. This is effectively an attack on Null space and as such needs to be organized with specific strategic goals, at least some kind of ingress and egress plans, formal fleets for command and control etc. It would be better for fleets (or at least fleet commanders) to register up to a comms chat channel to receive orders rather than rely on twitter and such.

This event was supposed to introduce hi-sec folks to null-sec existence, but being wiped out at a single gate will just put people off. There was no freedom of combat, no chance at a real fight. Had the hi-sec people seen that people would have been jumping up and down for the next op and empire/null wars would ensue pretty rapidly.

Missed opportunity for me but I hope they run future events and take into account the constructive comments from everyone here.
    ISD Ezwal
    ISD Community Communications Liaisons
    ISD Alliance
    #1311 - 2014-02-10 22:55:10 UTC
    I have removed a rule breaking post.

The rules:
    5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Akirei Scytale
    Okami Syndicate
    #1312 - 2014-02-19 19:52:30 UTC
    Holy **** people are mad.

CCP clearly did something right.
    Eugene Kerner
    TunDraGon
    Goonswarm Federation
    #1313 - 2014-03-05 14:08:21 UTC
    Hurray Necrothread!!

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Jandice Ymladris
    Aurora Arcology
    #1314 - 2014-03-05 17:46:46 UTC
    I like to point out it was the ISD representative above who necro'd this thread.

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Mixu Paatelainen
    Eve Refinery
    #1315 - 2014-03-06 18:32:09 UTC
    That ISD post is so meta I'm hyperventilating.
    Jake Rivers
    New Planetary Order
    #1316 - 2014-03-24 16:30:24 UTC
    So did CCP ever figure out that live events fail?
    Nevyn Auscent
    Broke Sauce
    #1317 - 2014-03-24 23:33:49 UTC
    Jake Rivers wrote:
    So did CCP ever figure out that live events fail?

If their Dev blog was any clue, No.
    Their Dev blog was a pack of lies, that made it out as if there was an actual epic event and just lots of people died, vs a complete stuff up and no event.

We knew it was a predetermined outcome anyway since it was just an excuse to introduce ghost sites, even more so than any other event this one was utterly unchangeable.

But we didn't even get an event for playing along with CCP, they closed the event, and then white washed it with their Dev blog.
    RAW23
    #1318 - 2014-03-26 23:03:09 UTC
    Jandice Ymladris wrote:
    I like to point out it was the ISD representative above who necro'd this thread.

This is nothing. Last week an ISD 'cleaned' and reopened a thread in MD that had been closed for nine months!

Shocked

I have come to the conclusion that the ISDs exist in a different temporal continuum to the rest of us.

I mean ... nine months? Seriously?

There are two types of EVE player:

those who believe there are two types of EVE player and those who do not.

Jai Centarium
    Anqara Expeditions
    #1319 - 2014-04-08 18:14:15 UTC
    RAW23 wrote:
    Jandice Ymladris wrote:

This is nothing. Last week an ISD 'cleaned' and reopened a thread in MD that had been closed for nine months!

Shocked

I have come to the conclusion that the ISDs exist in a different temporal continuum to the rest of us.

It took that long to charge the flux capacitor.

But seriously, the silence on Live Events is somewhat telling. They tried something, got burned badly, tried to explain, got burned badly, and now are back in their shell. Most of those burns were deserved.

What matters now is if the Live Events just disappear entirely (like many other non-essential things), or if they actually take the feedback to heart and make some changes. Someone mentioned elsewhere that hiring a decent tabletop RPG gamemaster to plan events would be a good investment. I think it'd make a fine volunteer position.

Not everyone wants live events. Not everyone cares. But for those that do, it'd be a nice expansion of the game universe.

Certified purveyor of the High Life.

Aynen
    Federal Guard and Recon Corporation
    #1320 - 2014-04-09 15:16:22 UTC
    Jai Centarium wrote:
    RAW23 wrote:
    Jandice Ymladris wrote:

Shocked

It took that long to charge the flux capacitor.

But seriously, the silence on Live Events is somewhat telling. They tried something, got burned badly, tried to explain, got burned badly, and now are back in their shell. Most of those burns were deserved.

What matters now is if the Live Events just disappear entirely (like many other non-essential things), or if they actually take the feedback to heart and make some changes. Someone mentioned elsewhere that hiring a decent tabletop RPG gamemaster to plan events would be a good investment. I think it'd make a fine volunteer position.

Not everyone wants live events. Not everyone cares. But for those that do, it'd be a nice expansion of the game universe.

The problem you run into when it is a volunteer, is that a lot of people aren't interested unless CCP is attached to it somehow, as what CCP does is Canon, and if they don't screw up too badly it is also a sign that what you as a player are getting into when you respond to a CCP event is something that has a certain level of quality. The rest is often filtered out and ignored by players.
    So even if the events creator is a volunteer, they need to be given credibility through a CCP tag, or seal of approval of sorts. It needs to be 'official'.