These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probably the WORST event I've wasted my time on in my 10 years of EVE ...

First post First post
Author
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1281 - 2013-11-15 23:17:50 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Mara Rinn wrote:
Wedgetail wrote:
the issue is they sided with hardware and digits over the state of their players, they prioritized their physical assets over their sentimental/intellectual ones and so harmed their players and themselves.

the issue is that for those of us who have done this before we know better, if they are continually let off for making these inadequate choices then they will continue to make them under the presumption that they will continue to work.

Here's an alternate explanation: we have a new live events team who have no experience in running large scale events such as Arek'Jalaan and the Sansha Incursion precursors. CCP Dropbear is no longer part of CCP, so that corpus of experience and dedication to dungeon mastery has to be re-acquired.

Rather than continually rubbing the dog's nose in the poo (which achieves nothing other than a neurotic dog who doesn't trust its master), you need to train the dog to poo in the yard. Note the points from that video:

1. Supervision prevents accidents happening
  2. Encouraging proper behaviour: the easiest way is to reward the dog for pooping in the right place
  3. Correcting bad behaviour as it happens
  4. Have a schedule (i.e.: a plan, an expected pattern of behaviour)

Anyone who works with animals, children or adult humans will tell you that violence and negative reinforcement do not lead to positive outcomes. So please, stop using the harsh language, stop punishing the Live Event staff for trying to help you have fun. Look for ways that you can help the Live Events staff build a better experience for everyone.

Lol The image.. i need to burn my brainShocked

Doggy part aside, and I do love that.

I totally agree that we now need to help them wherever we can so that WE can have fun and hopefully they can have fun preparing them and running them with us.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1282 - 2013-11-16 09:41:46 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Please also mention that if CCP need any Oracle DBA's and storyline consultants I'd be happy to oblige...Lol

With all the TiDi surely EvE is running on MySQL...or perhaps an MS Access DB?

oh dear lord no...wash your mouth out for suggesting such a thing....
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1283 - 2013-11-16 09:49:09 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
[quote=Wedgetail]So please, stop using the harsh language, stop punishing the Live Event staff for trying to help you have fun. Look for ways that you can help the Live Events staff build a better experience for everyone.

That was my intention in my comment :) I skipped the first 60-odd pages of the forum for that reason...don't put CCP off but give constructive ideas on events.

I'm pretty sure that if many smaller events are run regularly it will lead to more experienced events staff *and* more experienced fleets who will join...this in itself will inevitably lead to more and larger conflicts. Slowly maybe, but the more organized the newer players become the more likely they will want (and be able to) challenge the larger stronger corps.
ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#1284 - 2013-11-16 17:38:24 UTC
Hi Folks,

We understand completely that there are a number of different opinions about this event.
However, whether your experience was positive or negative, we ask that you make your arguments constructively and without antagonizing other users; as that is against the forum rules.

To that end, I've had to remove a few posts from this thread.

It's very valuable to CCP that they read your concerns, so please keep it on the board and hopefully everyone can move on from this and make EVE a better place.

Thanks.

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Killerjock
Von Neumann Industries
#1285 - 2013-11-17 18:05:10 UTC
Balaster McNugget wrote:
I, Balaster McNugget (Balaster of the buddy system), am pretty new to EVE. However I am already a hardened PVP Vet, coming here after years of classic EQ pvp and now emulated EQ classic PvP.

You will find that EVE's pvp is probably unlike anything else you've experience in a game.
Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1286 - 2013-11-17 23:43:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Wedgetail
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

Here's an alternate explanation: we have a new live events team who have no experience in running large scale events such as Arek'Jalaan and the Sansha Incursion precursors. CCP Dropbear is no longer part of CCP, so that corpus of experience and dedication to dungeon mastery has to be re-acquired.

Rather than continually rubbing the dog's nose in the poo (which achieves nothing other than a neurotic dog who doesn't trust its master), you need to train the dog to poo in the yard. Note the points from that video:

2. Encouraging proper behaviour: the easiest way is to reward the dog for pooping in the right place

Anyone who works with animals, children or adult humans will tell you that violence and negative reinforcement do not lead to positive outcomes. So please, stop using the harsh language, stop punishing the Live Event staff for trying to help you have fun. Look for ways that you can help the Live Events staff build a better experience for everyone.

I totally agree that we now need to help them wherever we can so that WE can have fun and hopefully they can have fun preparing them and running them with us.

That's a lot of the reasoning behind my wording, yes the previous team is gone, yes the new team is in, where are the transition notes? where are the lessons learnt from the last group? why have they not looked at their organisation's previous experience to learn from them? I found and still find the apparent absence of such an important factor disturbing.

they have no reason to start from the beginning, they have been shown by their predecessors how this works and have no excuse for travelling down the path they did. - this is why I am being harsh -

(admittedly maybe too much so but i feel this is too important to hold back on, once i see improvement I will offer more positive support)

-by doing so I intend to push (literally push, support through opposition) them back onto the right track, I can hope to do so by no other means.

(sorry for the late reply I'd taken my eyes off of this thread - popped back in cuz I saw it jump from the main board, re subbed so I can answer to your comments in a more timely manner)
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#1287 - 2013-11-18 02:25:56 UTC
Wedgetail wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

That's a lot of the reasoning behind my wording, yes the previous team is gone, yes the new team is in, where are the transition notes? where are the lessons learnt from the last group? why have they not looked at their organisation's previous experience to learn from them? I found and still find the apparent absence of such an important factor disturbing.

they have no reason to start from the beginning, they have been shown by their predecessors how this works and have no excuse for travelling down the path they did. - this is why I am being harsh -

(admittedly maybe too much so but i feel this is too important to hold back on, once i see improvement I will offer more positive support)

-by doing so I intend to push (literally push, support through opposition) them back onto the right track, I can hope to do so by no other means.

(sorry for the late reply I'd taken my eyes off of this thread - popped back in cuz I saw it jump from the main board, re subbed so I can answer to your comments in a more timely manner)

What I am trying to figure is, where did they get these that big deal blockbuster live events would work in such manner that they were implemented. That is, did they know live events were popular and try to bank on them harder or was this something they came to with big ideas THEN failed to check on notes from past experiences?

What I hope they learn from this is that if CCP wants some kind of earth-shaking event, they need only push the players in that direction and there are enough LE junkies and RPers to deliver. Luminaire and Spectre were events that apparently attempted "bigness" from a top down centrally planned viewpoint did not work out so well. I won't say that a live event from that direction is certain to fail, but that they are going in the direction of bigger events while using as few resources as the older events - even less in Spectre.

If CCP wants to make George Lucas raise an eyebrow, they are going to need to put way more resources and planning into it. But if they want more successful live events, just stick with the way it was done in 2010-2011. The players will deliver (especially if you did it during prime time, even unannounced).

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#1288 - 2013-11-18 04:08:07 UTC
I've removed a post discussing moderation. Please remember to keep posts on topic and civil. Your feedback is appreciated though.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1289 - 2013-11-18 04:30:21 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

What I am trying to figure is, where did they get these that big deal blockbuster live events would work in such manner that they were implemented. That is, did they know live events were popular and try to bank on them harder or was this something they came to with big ideas THEN failed to check on notes from past experiences?

What I hope they learn from this is that if CCP wants some kind of earth-shaking event, they need only push the players in that direction and there are enough LE junkies and RPers to deliver. Luminaire and Spectre were events that apparently attempted "bigness" from a top down centrally planned viewpoint did not work out so well. I won't say that a live event from that direction is certain to fail, but that they are going in the direction of bigger events while using as few resources as the older events - even less in Spectre.

If CCP wants to make George Lucas raise an eyebrow, they are going to need to put way more resources and planning into it. But if they want more successful live events, just stick with the way it was done in 2010-2011. The players will deliver (especially if you did it during prime time, even unannounced).

this is what concerns me... their dev blog has confirmed only what i already knew to have happened, it didn't answer to the reason and has done nothing to settle any concerns that i have regarding the situation the team is in.

their reason logic and resulting action suggest a lack of information, an absence of understanding and foresight, and implies a failure in their business process(es)/structure that invited this outcome to occur.

Having done what i have, seen what i have, I have information regarding those past experiences that ccp should have been learning from, it's not as good as what their former team has/had but it's all i can provide, thus if they were lacking information regarding the circumstances they were facing and what they should have looked for and prioritized they have slightly less of a deficiency now because of what I have tried to provide them.

and if it helps them to achieve the standards of competency that we are expecting of them then all the better.

my greatest fear is that they will continue to fall behind the closed door of the internet, that they'll allow these warnings to go unchecked and unsolved because they do not understand the weight of their meaning, or worse simply don't want to face the experience of dealing with angry people on the internet. (who does?)

more than anything else I want to help but if i do not do this right - if i don't get the message across well enough it'll become less likely to resolve itself, if that means i have to 'rub their noses in their own poo' in order to reinforce the meaning and the importance of its implications then that is what i will gladly do (within reason). it would not be the first time I've chosen to become an enemy to save a friend, and i doubt it will be the last.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1290 - 2013-11-19 04:23:01 UTC
The issue is still there was no "Event" .

Apparently the team had the impression that most of the high-sec contingent would be happy to be involved in a "big space battle" just like all those lucky folks in null get to indulge in all the time - even if it meant trudging through 24 systems at 10 minutes per system.

Unfortunately for the team, the people that turned out had believed the advertising and were expecting something more noteworthy ... at the very least to get to see a big empire faction fleet of caps and super-caps in action and maybe even to get to experience something different they had not experienced before.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1291 - 2013-11-19 11:05:54 UTC
As one of the hi-sec folks I *would* have been happy to engage in large fleet combat. I firmly believe that such events can't be created as such but must occur naturally, The best way to ensure this is to nurture players who don't often PvP so that they understand the different combat environment and learn to love it :D

My feeling is that CCP should concentrate on smaller lore driven events to move the story along, and then as people learn more about fleet combat bigger battles will occur naturally. Throwing a largely untrained and unprepared gathering of lower skilled hi-sec folks into low-sec could never really work as sheer numbers don't actually mean that much when the are dribble fed to a target area.

The worst thing that could come out if the last event is if it puts a large swathe of hi-sec folks off PvP even more..

I also think that there needs to be different kinds of events too, something to rewards other styles of play. I know many think hi-sec is pointless but I disagree. There are many play styles within EVE, with combat being one facet. Hi-sec is a necessity to allow the industrial/.trader/builder type players to function. Without this depth EVE will become just another MMO. One giant constant battle which would ultimately become dull.

They already have the small missions to perform research, mine minerals, etc etc...why not some story arcs around industry instead? Something that gets players to co-operate in an entirely different arena. How quickly could hi-sec build a titan for an incursion into low-sec if they pulled together I wonder?

high-end combat in EVE is a niche that it takes time (in skill terms) and practice. This won't happen buy throwing people en-masse into low-sec and is a small area of EVE for me. I would like to develop in that area, but not at the exclusive expense of other areas of EVE.
boernl
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1292 - 2013-11-19 12:33:58 UTC
Isis Dea wrote:
How many members of CCP are Razor alts? Hmm? Lol

you mean how many goons are actualy gm's
Mark Radosevic
Sabotage Incorporated
#1293 - 2013-11-19 14:23:53 UTC
My main objection is that call to empire/hisec was misleading. It looked like PvE thing and even Sansha were mentioned.

On the other side call to pirates was spot on - come and fight empire.

This caused a great confusion - CCP had to be more clear and in event invite state clearly - you will go to low/null, pvp will happen, use clean/pvp clones and equip properly.

Confusing invite to hisec caused low preparation for what was about to happend.

I thinkg most of the people that participated does not object the fact that they got killed but the fact that they fell mislead and fooled.

Write better event invites.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1294 - 2013-11-19 15:05:14 UTC
Agreed...if this had been a mass excursion tonull-sec on a mission style event but you had to fight your way back then most wouldn't have minded being killed in the attempt. Then is becomes a calculated risk, but the evnt was set up in such a way that you cuoldn't know the nature of the risk in advance. fortunately I always assume the worst so went in a cheap ship/clean clone but many others didn't I think.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1295 - 2013-11-19 15:17:02 UTC
A nicer set-up could have been to start with industrial events to gather up/research/build the components for a bunch of titans with which the capsuleers can help as they can more rapidly acquire the necessary goods.

From this those who perform best would be invited on the empire incursion into null, with spare places being open to whoever declares loyalty for at least a month.

The titans would be used to bridge into the target sector and station fleets to hold the gates, with CCP commanded fleets and capsuleer fleets performing the holding duties, whilst others go and try to take the objective.

once the empire fleets were in place the pirates would *then* place the call out to null-sec folks for assistance with the warning that the gates are camped.

the null-secs could then choose to support, but to do so would have to access the system. I think this would have led to a much more balanced combat, and since the null secs could have declared to assist the empire (just because they are in null doesn't mean they wouldn't help against a common enemy) they could also take part on either side.

this could have given a much more imersive flow of events with a large final event.
Plane Walkerz
Big Sister Exploration
#1296 - 2013-11-19 23:47:21 UTC
Aerieth wrote:
To all you null secers not understanding the issue here!

This is not an issue with dieing, this is not an issue with TiDi. this is not an issue with bubbles or null sec mechanics.

This is simply an issue of not delivering on a promise.

When CCP says "Live Event" that sets certain expectations into play. When CCP fails on those explanations then THAT is the issue.

If I was signing up for a dangerous mission through dangerous territory and died in a ball of fire thats OK!
If I was signing up for a trip into null sec and got owned then that's OK!
If I was signing up for a massive fleet fight and due to the sheer mass of it then we were all TiDi'd to all hell then thats OK!

Those situations are all fine, but today those of us that logged on to partake in a Live Event and got anything but a Live Event ... that's the issue at hand.

A Live Event is not hours of TiDi travel! TRAVEL! TiDi is fine, UNNEEDED TiDi TRAVEL IS NOT!
A Live Event is not hours of directionless mayhem with no input from those running the event.

In your 0.0 lingo. CCP was our FC. Our FC purposely screwed us over. We are upset at our FC. You all think we are a bunch of whiners, however you just happen to see our forums. I know from personal experience there is plenty of whining going on behind the Goons forums. "Wha! This FC did this! Wha! This FC did that!"

Imagine spending hours following an FC around in 10% TiDi then you don't get to shoot anything and it was ALL ON PURPOSE by the FC ... then come back to us and say Yes I am fine wasting hours of my time doing nothing of importance on purpose!

The live event you talk about did happen, it was ruthlessly being driven out of null sec sov space by the null bears, loving CCP every second of the action because when you jump into null space from HS be sure to check the map, use your brain and check that the FC isn't an awoxer and hasn't told all of new eden before hand that something is going down (there may be someone who has a counter prepared). Really...

[b][i]-The Unknown- Sleepers abound and hunger for blood There are few brave enough to look for a fight with these tyrants, but those who are brave and hold true to their goal will prevail[/i][/b]

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#1297 - 2013-11-20 10:53:50 UTC
Mark Radosevic wrote:
My main objection is that call to empire/hisec was misleading. It looked like PvE thing and even Sansha were mentioned.

On the other side call to pirates was spot on - come and fight empire.

This caused a great confusion - CCP had to be more clear and in event invite state clearly - you will go to low/null, pvp will happen, use clean/pvp clones and equip properly.

Confusing invite to hisec caused low preparation for what was about to happend.

I thinkg most of the people that participated does not object the fact that they got killed but the fact that they fell mislead and fooled.

Write better event invites.

Or, maybe, just maybe, people should stop expecting to be told "you are venturing into the danger zone, wear your hard hat" and start thinking for themselves. We actually didn't expect empire people to be rerouted our way - thinking CCP organized a full-fledged safe rat turkey shoot for carebears.

Heh, go figure - people get welped into the wall and instead of thinking what they could do to avoid in the future they demand others to do something instead.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#1298 - 2013-11-20 11:23:37 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:

Heh, go figure - people get welped into the wall and instead of thinking what they could do to avoid in the future they demand others to do something instead.

Or perhaps....
you actually read what our complaint was.
The main complaint was that CCP never gave high sec fleets time to get to the Event. Not that we ran into null sec fleets.
CCP knew we had hundreds of people stuck in TiDi in fleets working towards the target zone. Then called the event over before we could even get there.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1299 - 2013-11-20 11:59:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Trii Seo wrote:
Or, maybe, just maybe, people should stop expecting to be told "you are venturing into the danger zone, wear your hard hat" and start thinking for themselves. We actually didn't expect empire people to be rerouted our way - thinking CCP organized a full-fledged safe rat turkey shoot for carebears.

Yet again I find you sitting on both sides of the fence from one post to the other, one thread to the other. Perhaps your reading comprehension skills can't keep up with how quickly you change your opinion but to repost for you (and has been posted about 5 times in different threads now) and for the others that follow:

IG issues\complaints\concerns:

CCP knew full well that TiDi would be in effect for those travelling to the waypoints and that they would have 23 jumps to go through and that the Null Blocs would either Titan Bridge in forces or that they were already in-situ.
CCP either by ignorance or incompetence took or tried to take 2-3000 paying customers into a massive staging area of Null Block
CCP then declared the event over after an hour knowing full well that participants were still in TiDi and travelling or getting torn apart by the Null Bloc.
CCP employees in the role of FC\Actor\Guide wilfully commanded scores of players to jump into Null.
CCP employees in the role of FC\Actor\Guide either jumped ahead of the fleet using devhacks or dropped fleet leaving the participants in disarray (This requires verification but I have heard it from several sources)

IRL issues\complaints\concerns:

CCP did not deliver on what was advertised to a large audience.
CCP did not estimate the numbers of attendees correctly. This was probable due to the headlines of "Unique" and "never to be repeated"
CCP did not organise any sort of reliable communications or clearly communicate to the participants where, when, how they should be.
CCP wilfully withheld key information that would've enabled participants to make other ways to get to the rendezvous points as we know that players are resourceful. It wasn't hard for Null Blocs to organise as they had 50mins notice. Withholding this information just served to add confusion to the unaware participants not yet exposed to fleets etc
CCP used Twitter to communicate of staging system change.
CCP has refused to acknowledge bar one comment from CCP Goliath that this thread exists
CCP has refused to update it's customer of what is occurring or if this is being discussed or analysed
CCP has refused to indicate if any update will be forthcoming
CCP has allowed this to get to the point where people are unsubscribing\not renewing\cancelling from the game due to the perceived level of incompetence, collusion with Null Sec Cartels, contempt that CCP hold towards the Hi-Sec player and the tinfoil hattery that even I am starting to wonder "well what if".
CCP are supposed to be a trusted entity in EVE Online. If you cannot trust those that develop the game and run it who can you trust.
CCP are supposed to be an impartial and independent body removed from the universe of New Eden and so removed from a conflict of interest.

CCP were not expected to:

Hand hold the participants
Ensure participants were in suitable ships
Ensure participants had blank clones
Ensure participants had an up-to-date clone
Tell people how to operate in a fleet

I hope that you'll find that I (and I feel a lot of people) had these same expectations due to the nature of the advertising for this event.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1300 - 2013-11-20 12:36:23 UTC
Good clear post max.

For future events of this nature (yes I still think they *could* work) it would require multiple staging points (as many as CCP can staff, though with multiple PC's that should be lots). There is no reason why the empire forces couldn't have several stealth fleets jump to the target system, and setup jump gates. Players can't put up jump gates in hi-sec, but sincethe empires own areas of hi-sic they certainly could and deliver fleets straight to target zone.

Low-sec would be informed of the assault *after* the gates start anchoring in low-sec. If fast enough they can get to them and attempt to shoot them down first, which means taking on empire stealth fleets plus fleets arriving.through the gates. At least this would give the null-secs more of a challenge and the hi-secs a chance at real combat.

multiple jump in points would minimize TiDi until in the target system (which the servers can be hardebned to cope with better as you know where the maximum load will be.

This way nobody has an unfair advantage and players choose their targets...defend the jump gates, attack the gates, defend the pirate facilities, attack facilities, run skirmish fleet activities either way, etc etc

Totally agree on the last points, CCP should never hand hold the hi-secs otherwise how would we learn?