These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probably the WORST event I've wasted my time on in my 10 years of EVE ...

First post First post
Author
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#1201 - 2013-11-14 13:09:58 UTC
Aramatheia wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

He addressed that important issue:

Quote:
A. On the movement side, we would like to try using titans to bridge people to an event destination. That's certainly something we could see being very advantageous as well as giving people a chance to do something and see something they normally wouldn't in their usual gameplay.

i read the whole thing but managed to miss that block of text +1 for reading fail? be generous lol

It happens, I do it sometimes because I speed read,and it was a wall of text but a necessary one, my post was more to make sure you saw that.

I also think that the fun part is that the Titan will be attractive to the 0.0 cartel minions on their KB so it has even more benefits then making travel easier.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Vherana
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1202 - 2013-11-14 13:15:34 UTC
It took them one week to write such a pathetic marketing bla... Shocked

CCP is back at pre-Incarna levels of stupidity and arrogance!

I'm not amused!
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#1203 - 2013-11-14 13:18:19 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
One Genuine CCP-induced cistern of tears(tm)

One thing with Null is that hardly anything is "risk free". Even if you rat in a triple-warpstabbed ubertanked marauder in a cynojammed system, there may just be a dual-scram Arazu with a covert cyno and a black ops gang out for your killmail.

Similarily, fleets that engaged both forces put themselves at risk of an attack. As a member of one such fleet, I already mentioned that during our return home we were engaged by a BNI fleet twice our size. During the short lead-up to the engagement (read that: local spiking and gate flashing) we were told by our FC to "stay sharp, broadcast early and pay attention, don't be stupid or we'll all die". We managed to take advantage of our position on the gate and, if I remember things right, eliminate their fleet commander before he could coordinate his force and pull enough range to mitigate pulse laser damage.

There's always a bigger fish, or in this case fleet, that's largely disinterested in the smaller fish you're after but very interested in you. And believe me, CONCORD Bounty Payments weren't exactly high given a lot of people participated in each kill.

The amount of chat channels isn't really that big - considering most in our fleet had, besides local/corp/alliance/fleet a nice stack of intel channels (home, areas close to home, areas we're deployed to, areas we pass through and one or two we forgot to close). Add to that maybe some corp public channels, one or two private for you and a bunch of friends... it gets messy. If we go into out-of-game you have typical alliance comms. Peak for me would be when we were cooperating with both the HBC and CFC, rolling with 3 sets of forums + jabber + voice comms.

After that, the fact CCP dared to use Twitter to broadcast info is not really that much of an offense.

Guiding a herd of a thousand cats, with their legendary hatred to the sole notion of being herded is a tricky thing - even in "experienced" null coalitions, large fleets tend to trail stragglers that didn't align or crashed. Often they're picked off by opposing forces or opporutnists (who then laugh, "haha, look at that sheep domi/rokh/scorpion/mega").

TiDi being TiDi was probably predicted but not at the magnitude it occured. It's not a flawless system, while it makes things work well in situations that would result in crashes it does have certain charms. As it was mentioned earlier, gate jumping is known to cause it - slowing down travel while the fight rages on (or allowing faster travel while the fight is in tidi, depends on the circumstances). That said, if you're in a big damn fleet fight there's gonna be TiDi - no avoiding that.

And, yes, it was really fun on the side with guns. But it usually is, so I advise finding a fleet and doing your best to ensure you're the one doing the murderizing, it's really fun!

Oh, and since it was requested to be back, mandatory: HTFU!

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1204 - 2013-11-14 13:20:01 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Personally, take a moment and it is a stunning reversal ... From the silence.

So yes when everything I could have wished for and more is given to us i think it was a good job.

After this,How we got here, is much less important than where we are going.

Anything compared to the stonewalling that we had is an improvement I agree but if you were abused everyday and then suddenly you got one day of not being abused would you give thanks to your abuser for that day off? No, well now look at this from a different perspective.

I do share the 'where we are going' philosophy but we cannot and should not forget the past: Not T20, nor Incarna, nor ToS, nor SomerBlink, nor the IWS or the other incidents that have hit CCP and EVE Online in it's time and neither should CCP. We remember so that it doesn't happen again or so that we can engage, resolve and return to the journey we are on.

I am still reviewing the Dev Blog but I'll give credit and appreciation where I think it's due as you should but I am by no means completely satisfied that this Dev Blog answers all my questions, concerns, grievances or complaints but I will post in a constructive manner.

Agreed, judge not a man by his words but his actions. Still applies.
The fact they were able to say this much is actually very unusual in a business response.
I am drawing opinions, from not just the things that were said clearly,what was tucked into the middle of sentences but what was not said as well.This post clearly had a LOT of input and thought put in it.They most certainly heard us and are I believe answering the best they can.
Everyone will need to draw their own conclusions and I accept that some feel strongly more should have been said,they are entitled to that feeling.

I do suggest that everyone looks a little deeper into a few lines in the post here and there and listen to what they are trying to say.

They do not want to share every detail of what happened, that is understandable but they are saying sorry and will put things right.

I find that good.
Could they do more? Sure they could.
Did they royally screw this up? Too right! But they are all too aware of that ..now and they are are promising to learn correct the core problem and get better.
Does this answer all the questions? No but what matters is the problems are being dealt with and they will make sure they do not reoccur.

Do you believe them? They cannot tell us in more than words today, but we SHOULD judge them by their actions.

I think they have earned the chance to have our support whilst they show us with their actions that they mean it.

So in summation I will support them with my payment, while I watch with great interest whether they mean what they say.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Constantin Baracca
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#1205 - 2013-11-14 13:33:30 UTC
.... Did CCP attend their own live event?

Who made it to Serpentis to fail and how in the almighty Jesus did they figure they would have "destroyed the target?" You don't have to play for very long to know that a nullsec gate camp will stop a fleet trickling in system. So we're really, honestly supposed to think CCP figured the nullsec alliances would ignore a bunch of highsec players flying PVE rigs and jump on the bandwagon?

Nobody should have thought that!

The gross incompetence of it all is that CCP is either outright lying or has absolutely no idea what their own game is like. Is that why the route went through a giant 0.0 warzone? We wanted to pick up a few nullsec alliances on the way through to join hands and skip down the road with the highseccers? For no rewards? And when you ran into a gatecamp, just let everyone jump through and, yeah, burn straight on through the gatecamp.

There was a guy I knew in high school, and he tended to be creepy. He would try his best, yet screw up every attempt to get into a relationship. He'd sit outside their houses, call and ask if they were at home since he saw their car in their driveway, pester them every chance he got, that sort of thing. And yet, despite the fact that everyone knows he was being creepy, was literally disgusting these girls, he never realized he was the problem. Obviously, these girls just didn't like nice guys.

I'm getting the same vibe here. CCP has itself to blame for essentially failing first grade dungeonmastering, yet just shrugged and said, "players failed to overcome my inadequacies and finish the campaign by themselves."

To be fair, I don't think they were being malicious, I just think they're grossly incompetent. If they, in any way, expected the players to destroy those objectives with the plan they had, they know less about the game than starting players do. There's a reason so many people were calling this FUBAR before they even knew where they were going.

I'm probably going to let my sub lapse whenever it does. The response confirmed exactly what I thought. CCP is completely clueless. I still don't know if they're really aware of why they failed and why people are angry at them.

"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

-Matthew 16:26

Lenroc Elisav
Lenny'S TAX evasion 101
#1206 - 2013-11-14 13:45:16 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:

And, yes, it was really fun on the side with guns. But it usually is, so I advise finding a fleet and doing your best to ensure you're the one doing the murderizing, it's really fun!

Trust me dude, I know. See??? Not big but really intense fighting.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1207 - 2013-11-14 13:54:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#1208 - 2013-11-14 13:57:29 UTC
Killerjock wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Reading it for a First pass through it is looking good.

I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if you accidentally drunk your brain while you were toasting CCP in the last two days.

"CCP_Goliath" wrote:
We expected the Empire forces to successfully destroy the structure, interdict the pirate frigates who were trying to salvage what they could, and "win", so to speak.
-cut-
The safest approach to ensure a trickle rather than a flood of players was to use channels that would only reach certain amounts of players at once. [...] That said, it would have been unnecessary if we had reinforced the staging systems correctly, which was an organizational mistake on my part.
-cut-
We did not thoroughly research each system on the route, so we were unaware that Doril was a staging system until it was past the point of being able to do anything about it.
-cut-
The fact that some people left on time and still missed the event is something we are really sorry for, but sadly there was nothing we could do once the event had started.
-cut-
. Unfortunately we did not account for time dilation in this calculation and they ended up being too long. This is something we will improve on in future.

This basically amounts to:
- we did not reinforce the systems along the route we knew we would take;
- we purposedly forced the players to "trickle";
- we did not know where we were going;
- we didn't factor in the time needed for the people to arrive;
- we didn't realize we'd have TIDi.

But my favourite morsel must necessarily be this one:
Quote:
Why were the routes so long?
So that we had routes to collect more people on, and that felt like they came from the heartland of the empire. Also the longer travel time gives us exposition time for the story and casual RP while travelling tends to make the time go quicker. Unfortunately we did not account for time dilation in this calculation and they ended up being too long. This is something we will improve on in future.

So you didn't know where you were going, we didn't know where we were going, and you still expected to "pick up people" along the way; because everyone, seeying people "trickling" through a system, would think "hey there's people there, let's join them".
Also since we were trickling, how do you suppose one should've figured out we were moving to an event? And since we were going to null, how would you suppose one managed to clonejump, switch ships and join in? Did you expect us to jump to near-certain death fully equipped?

And you expected the hisec forces to win. That's why you've spawned npcs to help the pirates? Cuz it's known to all that nullsec veterans need help to fight off a bunch of uncoordinated, untested hisec bears coming in trickles to their turf.

Let me say that again. You thought that a bunch of ragtag fleets bunched up in hisec with mostly no clue, utter lack of organization, could've beaten organized nullsec blocs on their own turf after a long route that passed through known chokes and could easily be riddled with lowsec pirate raids - because it's not just nullsec blocs ya know, low sec has its share of "taken" pockets, that have no sov but are known to be hunting grounds for this or that corp/alliance. In fact there was at least one fleet of T3s camping alperaute.

CCP_Goliath wrote:
...infiltrated by rogue intelligence gatherers from capsuleer alliances

You post the destination on Twitter, but you believe the null blocs needed infiltrators to figure out where we were going. Makes perfect sense...Shocked

Also, I'm glad you came out with your own solutions - and that they're much smarter than ours, right? Evil

All this can be summed up with "ya know, we didn't really think about what would happen, just figured out it'd be cool". Which curiously reminds me of most Darwin Award Honourable Mentions.

I can't figure out if you're really that out of touch with the game (and I'm trying hard not to be offensive), or if you think we're drunken idiots.

Well, we've got our answer as we demanded. 'nuff discussing for my stomach.

Post this in the dev blog. If they ignored this thread for a week, don't except them to start reading now.
Say goodbye to high sec as you know it.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1209 - 2013-11-14 14:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Trii Seo wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
One Genuine CCP-induced cistern of tears(tm)

-Usual Trii Seo venom spouting and misreading-

Ah the venom just comes so easily. As you snipped my quote and admittedly it was long here is what you are commenting on so that you can read what it says:

Maximus Aerelius wrote:
Inclusion of both Hi-Sec, Low and Null type of play styles is always good but you have to bear in mind that going into Null with a "Kitchen Sink" fleet is always going to end the way that this event did and by that I mean you are handing essentially risk free kills and CONCORD Bounty Payments to those in Null (unless they are countered by another Null Entity who chose that time to attack them which would lead to some very interesting developments).

'In that I mean' that in this event the "Kitchen Sink" fleet was trickled into the system whereby the Null Fleet picked the juiciest targets and insta-blapped them. I've watched the video on YouTube of the Null (I believe russian?) FC target calling and he states quite clearly "Don't worry about the bombers, I think we're the only ones who don't need to worry about the bombers here" or words to that effect. Think about that for a while...

I am not so naive to think that all or any part of Null is risk free, I'm not a resident and wouldn't claim so but from what I saw and heard Null Fleets were sat there just pot-shooting away at the "Event Fleet" without a care in the world. In fact the excitement was so great in that video the FC actually told people to shut-up, stop calling targets and just press F1. Must've been nerve-wracking...

And so take your HTFU and mix it with a STFU until you can actually look more closely than just surface level or reading what you want to read.
Sirius Fidelis
Doomheim
#1210 - 2013-11-14 14:13:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Sirius Fidelis
Constantin Baracca wrote:
The response confirmed exactly what I thought. CCP is completely clueless. I still don't know if they're really aware of why they failed and why people are angry at them.

I haven't played this game for very long (approximately 1 year), and every day I read and hear about how CCP screw this up, or that. I have chalked it up to bitter vet syndrome and I took it all with a grain of salt. How can a company survive this long if they were truly as bad as these people made it out to be?

Then I attended this event. I was shocked at the way things panned out, as I never even made it to Ihal until the event was 'called off', which seemed highly premature and scripted. Like a kid who was losing and yanks the power cord from the machine instead. Even with this in mind, I figured it was just one bad event, no big deal--the Dev Blog will explain everything perfectly..

At this point, I'm completely on board with the quote in this reply. CCP mentions they can plan an event and control attendance by where and how it's advertised. This event was advertised on Facebook, Twitter, the launcher, the login page, the forums..everywhere. To this conclusion, CCP had to know a MASSIVE TURNOUT was to be expected.

Then the dev blog comes out to say they didn't account for TiDi. And that they really didn't even know Doril was being used as a staging system for a HUGE nullbloc. And to further alienate the situation, there was no apology in the entire article, however credit must be given for the one admission of a single mistake being made (not reinforcing the right nodes).

So as a fairly new EVE gamer, I'm left with the impression that they truly do not play their own game, or have any clue what is going on within it. This reinforced the notion that CCP is clueless and incompetent, and greatly explains why so many expansions have been received with so many complaints that CCP is adding pointless fluff or stupid features instead of fixing what is already in the game. It's not a lack of trying on their part, as they attempt to add content to a legacy game.

I'm not saying I'll leave EVE any time soon, as I enjoy it and play in the one part of the game CCP has admitted to actually working somewhat right (wormholes). But I am now amongst the thousands of players who fear the day CCP involves themselves with any aspect of our wormholes.

For the sake of this game, please stop developing 2 expansions a year and invest one of the expansions time into playing your product so you have at least some sort of a clue of what it's like.
Aynen
Federal Guard and Recon Corporation
#1211 - 2013-11-14 14:32:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Aynen
I didn't really find what I was hoping to find in the dev blog post mortem of the event. Most importantly what I was missing was the angle of taking an inherited audience from previous events, which was mostly high-sec people who aren't well versed in all things null-sec, and taking them into a null-sec event in a way that gives them a reasonable chance of success.
Taking the stance that people can choose to partake in the event or not doesn't work; you've inherited your audience and their expectations. Changing your format without managing those expectations first leads to angry people.
Plus, you could have your cake and eat it too if you designed your event such that even carebears have a function they can successfully complete while those more accustomed and willing to fight fleet battles do that portion of your event.

tldr; know your audience and their expectations and act accordingly.

P.S.: When CCP apologized after Incarna was poorly received, it showed character to do so. Apologizing isn't something to be avoided at all costs, it's a strength, not a weakness.
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#1212 - 2013-11-14 14:36:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Trii Seo
Lenroc Elisav wrote:
Trii Seo wrote:

Trust me dude, I know. See??? Not big but really intense fighting.

Oh yes, actually small and intense tends to be even more fun than big and intense. To some extent, TiDi gives you a bit more time and makes things a tad less exciting - admittedly, not much since your delay in decision making will still be present but it's easier to plan your next move while the current one is executed at reduced speed. This advice is to all that never experienced the joy of murder with friends (the fun of it scales exponentially, by the way) and were on business side of the guns that day Smile

@Maximus: as for another post blaming me for venom and misreading - words "Don't worry about the bombers" (and "Don't broadcast bombs") were spoken in 8V- too, mostly because we were in ships highly resistant to bombing - ahacs. We also at some point in time were given "free fire, free fire" while sitting on a gate just because of the sheer amount of idiots we were catching as they tried to run away. Mostly pods, some juicier stuff. So... quoting an FC out of context and saying how his fleet had a summer luxury cruise in comparison to poor hisec fleet that had to walk uphill in lava is kind of wrong. Very wrong actually.

What I was picking at were the words "risk-free". Sometimes if you're not careful you may end up stomped to the ground by a Kitchensink fleet. A lot of good FC work went into making this op a success. As for "I saw and heard" - maybe you saw the Curse side of events. I don't remember either of our fleets sitting back and just shelling away in Syndicate. In fact, we were constantly on the move in there. We actually expected a bigger fish since our small fleet would be a nice target - when shooting a Black Legion 'phoon people on comms literally said "Here comes the cyno!" as we just waited for a dictor to land on us, bubble up and a hotdrop to begin.

Oh and someone mentioned 'wanting the HTFU crowd back' so here it is, HTFU.

Killerjock
Von Neumann Industries
#1213 - 2013-11-14 14:59:17 UTC
Epicurus, I think you're deluded.

Quote:
I think they have earned the chance to have our support whilst they show us with their actions that they mean it.

For a company that systematically fails to deal with each and every crisis they face, they surely ask a lot of their customers.
So, we've got the lottery scandal, jita burning, somer blink, the TOS changes, and this, just off the top of my mind. Yet you say they've earned our support.

Nope, sorry. If I am to believe the dev blog, they're too incompetent to *play* this game, much less direct it.

Rest has already been said.
Killerjock
Von Neumann Industries
#1214 - 2013-11-14 15:06:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Killerjock
Trii Seo wrote:
What I was picking at were the words "risk-free". Sometimes if you're not careful you may end up stomped to the ground by a Kitchensink fleet. A lot of good FC work went into making this op a success. As for "I saw and heard" - maybe you saw the Curse side of events. I don't remember either of our fleets sitting back and just shelling away in Syndicate. In fact, we were constantly on the move in there. We actually expected a bigger fish since our small fleet would be a nice target - when shooting a Black Legion 'phoon people on comms literally said "Here comes the cyno!" as we just waited for a dictor to land on us, bubble up and a hotdrop to begin.

Yeah, I saw a RAZOR video and they were warping around quite a bit too - heard a "I'm podded" too, it wasn't risk free for the single fleet or pilot - tho I must say it was hardly a contested fight: they slaughtered scores and lost maybe a couple ships.
Compared to the chaos and fire we've got in our fleet... it did look pretty good. But as mentioned, there's no arguing about the better discipline and organization of the blocs.

I read a post somewhere mentioning that two opposing factions in the doril-related war were side by side when the hiseccers came in. They literally ignored each other till the hiseccers stopped coming through, by mutual and silent accord.
There's no denying those players are better in fleetfights (as if anyone tried).

You'd expect CCP to understand that, yet they misteriously thought we'd win.

Sirius Fidelis wrote:
I haven't played this game for very long (approximately 1 year), and every day I read and hear about how CCP screw this up, or that. I have chalked it up to bitter vet syndrome and I took it all with a grain of salt. How can a company survive this long if they were truly as bad as these people made it out to be?

Simple. They've got a great game to begin with, and they've got no contender in the market. Can you think of another spaceship MMO?
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#1215 - 2013-11-14 15:12:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Trii Seo
I think they might've expected us to rain on the pirate parade and literally kill everything flying instead of letting the pirates win.

EDIT: Yeah we also lost a few people that weren't in T2/T3 ships. Mostly ewar cruisers, definitely one Celestis and Arbitrator that managed to break out and warp off only to land in something way worse ;) Also in the initial fight a Maller and a Rupture later on.

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1216 - 2013-11-14 15:18:55 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:
I think they might've expected us to rain on the pirate parade and literally kill everything flying instead of letting the pirates win.

And you didn't? Why? :Tears:

OK, jokes and forum sparing aside I will apologise if I did, or you thought I did, misquote an FC out of context. It wasn't my intent and it was what I heard on the YouTube video (OFC I didn't even get to Low Sec let alone into the "fight"). You read, you watch, you listen and you draw conclusions based on that.

I hope that this clears up the matter and I honestly believe that FC'ing must be a damn stressful job against a fleet from a similar organisation.
Constantin Baracca
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#1217 - 2013-11-14 15:22:33 UTC
Killerjock wrote:

Simple. They've got a great game to begin with, and they've got no contender in the market. Can you think of another spaceship MMO?

Not any that are this large or have this scale. That's not a static state of affairs, though. Star Citizen is on the horizon, and That Company Which Shall Not Be Named are developing one.

This isn't really shooting themselves in the foot as much as walking out onto the pitch during a world cup semifinal where the other players are preparing to take the field, waving your hands to get attention, blowing their foot off with a shotgun, and then saying that they just wanted to see what happened and that things turned out in unanticipated ways.

"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

-Matthew 16:26

Optimus Junkis
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1218 - 2013-11-14 15:35:58 UTC
I for one didn't get any jollys out of the dev blog, for one it didn't acknowledge why people were so pissed off. I does however enforce the thought that CCP doesn't give a crap about high sec players and that they are totally disconnected from there own game. Somebody said that they should play there own game, well they do play the game they're in null sec since to them thats the game. High sec isn't really "eve" to them and should be removed so that they have more people to shoot at in null sec.

But that's ok, it's there game and if that's the direction they want to take it than more power to them. A lot of players like pvp and those are the people that are being catered to which again is ok. But for those who don't like to pvp it doesn't bode well my friends. I don't mind pvping, the whole purpose of this toon was to pvp. its not bad it's fun. but it's not why i play eve. I'm an industrialist i enjoy building things and mining things and researching things. it takes me some time to buy a freighter i mean it really does. So when i lose one it sets me way back. I'm not in a big corp with any alliance so what does that mean for my industrial toon?

I've already cancelled my accounts, this is the last one i have open and i'll be closing this one as it comes closer to it's renewal date. x-rebirth is out tomorrow and that will keep me content until star citizen comes out.

I've been playing since 2006 on my main so it's been a long run and it's been kinda painful seeing CCP change the company direction and change things in so many ways. Some were good and some were bad. But one thing is for sure, over the years they've made high sec more and more painful for the non-pvpers.

Lator Mors
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1219 - 2013-11-14 16:01:05 UTC
Thoroughly disappointed in the CCP Dev Blog response to this. Others will nitpick their way through the post, but this was a cover-your-*ss post by a corporation (I know, I work in marketing for a 50k+ person service company).

The one ingredient missing is the acknowledgment of the frustration, anger, and disappointment thousands of customers experienced. It's PR 101 - the emotions won't be diffused and the issue resolved until people feel that their views/feelings are understood by the company. Without saying "we're sorry" or "we understand we've let some of you down" or even "we made mistakes that effected you", this comes across as a hollow restating (and in some cases, mis-stating) of facts already covered by players in this and other threads.

The part that got me was their comment about Empire capsuleers leaving the fleet when it was clear we were going into low/null sec. My own experience, and others based on forum posts, is that most people left when they had to make 15-20 jumps through high TDi and they perhaps didn't have 3 hours to spare.

The entire blog reeks of revisionism (rewriting history to make yourself look better and gloss over the negatives) and fails to address the very obvious trust issue that is apparent throught player posts about the event.

Companies can apologize. They can say sorry. Admit mistakes. Acknowledge a failure. Most do. All without risking bank-breaking lawsuits. An apology. A token reimbursement (zero value certificate or something). Anything to acknowledge the customer's viewpoint and leave them feeling treated fairly. It's what good companies, who care about their customers and public image, do when they screw up. It's Customer Support 101.

Did they address many of the questions players asked? Yes. Did they provide a summary of the event? Yes, though through rose-coloured glasses.

Did they address the underlying issues that caused hundreds of players to express outrage in the forums?
IMHO - not even close.

And as a long-time Eve player with multiple accounts (high, low, w, and null-based), I'm more disappointed in CCP than I was before the blog. It's not a rage-inducing disappointment. It's the sad, head-shaking disappointment you feel when you've spent years trying to help a drug-addicted friend through multiple rehabs and OD's, only to finally come to the realization that they're well-and-truly gone and nothing you can do will can help them help themselves.

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1220 - 2013-11-14 16:05:13 UTC
Killerjock wrote:

I read a post somewhere mentioning that two opposing factions in the doril-related war were side by side when the hiseccers came in. They literally ignored each other till the hiseccers stopped coming through, by mutual and silent accord.
There's no denying those players are better in fleetfights (as if anyone tried).

Speaking as someone in one of the Doril fleets, it wasn't completely cut and dried. We are friends with Razor, so when things started we were fighting side-by-side, but once more fleets came in, everyone was watching their backs and trying not to get shanked by being complacent - we had a couple of short spars with Darkside during the fight who tried drive-bying us, and had to abandon the gate at one stage since we suspected Nulli Secunda was setting a bomb run up on us. And come the end, I actually had as many Pandemic Legion kills as I did high-seccers.