These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probably the WORST event I've wasted my time on in my 10 years of EVE ...

First post First post
Author
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1181 - 2013-11-14 11:16:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Aralyn Cormallen
Lenroc Elisav wrote:
Trii Seo wrote:
Lenroc Elisav wrote:
From all was discussed about in this thread one thing I really hold against CCP/event organizers. That is the fact that they failed to reinforce the routes to target system and forced hours of TIDI on anyone that wanted to take part in the event. I understand that TIDI is a nice feature to have on large impromptu events but, because there always is a butt, to allow TIDI when it can be avoided is plain laziness and disrespect for the costumers.
On the bright side, maybe I'm overreacting and the massive response to the call at arms took even the organizers by surprise and they did the best they could in a hard situation. If that's the case I hope they learned a trick or two.

My two cents!

The nodes systems were on were reinforced, but reinforcement doesn't equal "no tidi at all".

Damn! "No TIDI at all" you say? I got a lot of 10% TIDI (mostly the entire route from rally ,Meves i think, system to target one). Guess CCP needs to spend some money on hardware upgrade then.

Trii is explaining it well enough, but I'll throw in a few extra points - I think one of the problems is a lot of you guys have never experienced TiDi before (barring Jita), so probably aren't aware how hard and fast it comes on. When we were last at war, moving a single full fleet through a gate, warping across system, and jumping out the other side was guaranteed to screw an unreinforced system down to ~20%. A reinforced system probably only down to 70% or so, but that is still only a single fleet, doing nothing other than passing through the system. Make it two fleets, still no combat, and smack you are down to 10% reinforced or not. And just undocking a single fleet in our staging system (which we requested permanently reinforced) ratcheted it up to 10% every time.

As has been mentioned, undocking and jumping gates is the largest load-maker in the game, something to do with reloading all your skills and re-applying all the modifiers to your ship-in-space before loading you in (I am still awaiting the brain-in-a-box which should remove this problem). In comparison, combat itself is a lot less straining once everyone is in system (I don't know whether you were in the Doril fight, but TiDi noticibly drew back once people stopped jumping in system, even though the fighting still raged - it is common to know in a big fight that reinforcements are entering system when you see TiDi slam back to 10%). Add to the fact that CCP don't have an unlimited number of reinforced nodes (I can't remember how many they said they had, but it was only a handful, and Jita sits permanently on one), so reinforcing whole travel routes isn't possible (we sometime joke in wartime that the whole region we are fighting in should be reinforced, but often, CCP can barely allocate enough to reinforce each sides staging systems, and one or two expected combat systems).
Lenroc Elisav
Lenny'S TAX evasion 101
#1182 - 2013-11-14 11:18:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Lenroc Elisav
Trii Seo wrote:
It's really not a matter of hardware, it's a matter of some horrid software bottlenecks from the past. I do believe it was mentioned that the most tidi-tastic thing is servers retrieving the skill progress etc. of a player when he's refreshed during a session change. Large fleets undocking/moving always cause TiDi, to the point during Fountain War undocks were called in phases to avoid causing spikes. And a Titan got blown up because a fleet undocked and got itself stuck in 10% tidi.

Those minor things aside, keep in mind that you're handling thousands of people. No other game does that without shards and instancing. The only alternative is, well, blackscreen + lag + server losing modules + people dying 30 minutes after they died + more blackscreens... list goes on.

EDIT: Furthermore, if I remember things correctly, reinforcement doesn't really equal to cramming more ram sticks into the blade live. Sometimes nodes are, I believe, remapped to more powerful hardware dedicated solely to them and other times, if the action is already ongoing, systems are remapped to other nodes to reduce load.

I hear you. Those limitations should be known by CCP staff and taken into consideration when organizing an event. For the sake of fun and lore. And to avoid a lot of butt hurting Cool. Or the alternative will be for the players to avoid participating since it wasn't a pleasant experience (mmmm, I guess that depends of what side of the gun barrels one was Twisted).

Edit to reply the poster above: Thing with TIDI in a fleet w/o much cohesion is that will make it have no cohesion at all. That plus the lack of leadership transformed the high sec resemblance of fleets in some thousands strong mobs. Meh water under the bridge anyways. Thanks for explaining TIDI I'm looking to get back in game after 2 years of hiatus so I miss info about last developments in EVE.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1183 - 2013-11-14 11:20:57 UTC
Only just saw this thread... my suggestions for improvements woud be:

more staging points to minimise horrid tidi
some kind of fleet support from the empires who had supposedly called for support to insert fleets into null sec rather than throwing everyone at a gate that is camped to ehll and back
that would have made for much more free flowing combat and allowed some kind of fleet tactics to be used

in the end the pirates must have had something like the scene in matrix revolutions where the squids just try to flood through the breech as capsuleers plopped through the gate piecemeal.

for a fair and much better fight the entry point to null sec system need to be spread and random. then you would have had a group of separate fleet combats...much more interesting than a mass gank session

just my tuppenceworth :)
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#1184 - 2013-11-14 11:23:36 UTC
MadMcMax Ornulf wrote:

Verdict from me is outright lies from CCP as to what actually happened on the Event.
CCP, if you are reading the thread, I'm highly disappointed that you couldn't publicly own up to the fact that you didn't allow for most of the high sec players to even get to the target zones before you called the event over.

Instead you are Retconning the event to claim that everyone had a fair go. Simply claiming it was so doesn't make it so. And by doing so you set a terrible stage for future events, where you can just make stuff up however you like after the event to claim it went how you wanted, without a care in the world to the reality.

TLDR. Get your head out of your ass CCP and actually answer the complaints about organisation.
Ashala Arcsylver
Gypsy Rose Mining
#1185 - 2013-11-14 11:31:03 UTC
Have been following and reading all 60 pages of this and now the official response blog.

The response seems genuine but also seems a tad out of touch with the events in question. It really seems like they are saying they know they didn't plan well especially the part about not researching the destination system all that well and things changing quickly when as I understand things the fleets had been staged there for longer than the announced event.

It also sounds like with the admission of the screw up they are offering a bit of a peace offering in the look into future event ideas such as this

A. Experimenting with new things is definitely something that we are very interested in as a group. As outlined above, this event ticked a few boxes for us, but there are many more left un-ticked! We have an idea for an arc that has resource gathering mechanics in it to put our more industrial inclined players to the test, but we don’t have a timeframe for running it so I won’t go into more details at this time.

This sounds interesting for industry toons as well as miner gankers as an event.

All in all not a bad response but also feel it is a bit short of a apology. But they saved my sub of the account that was in the event at least.

https://secure.eveonline.com/RecallProgram/?invc=49d8eb6e-097b-437a-b125-519e25dd9cd3&type=share

epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1186 - 2013-11-14 11:34:44 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
MadMcMax Ornulf wrote:

Wow! I got my picture in it!!! - Review and thoughts on it to follow -

Lol fame!

Regarding the dev blog, I am going to read it a few times.

Bearing in mind this will have been worked on and amended by everyone from marketing to legal it will take some time to see the message contained within it clearly.

I hope to see a commitment to fairness, a place for all, everyone heard and we are all part of the future.

Reading it for a First pass through it is looking good.

Edit: read a few more times and very encouraged, lol it's like being a kremlin watcher!

I completely understand the situation though, this is an extremely good bit of news we have been given.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1187 - 2013-11-14 11:43:58 UTC
in terms of the lore and player interaction it would have been better to arrange for empire stealth fleets to hav jumped in and setup stations and jump gates (one for each empire) inside the target system.

Staging point would have been at an empire station with corresponding jump gate. The pirates would have known the target system to gather in but not where the empire jump station were until they came online.

pirates would be faced with a choice of kill the bases to stop incoming fleets or fight the fleets, they would have had to spread out or gather to defend the empire targets. Since they would have been waiting at the entry gates this would have given a much better combat I think as they decided where to go and what to defend.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1188 - 2013-11-14 11:44:55 UTC
and having the staging points in non-null but only one jump from the null target would have minimised the massive warp crawl
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#1189 - 2013-11-14 11:55:40 UTC
hmm still not explaning why they couldnt have informed the pirates still but given the invading high sec fleets at least 1 short cut there via empire titans. Maybe have the empire titans jump them in then abandon the players once they engage the target/null sec folks. Kind of setting the tone for the empires losing thier gut?

simply bypassing gatecamp choke points and inevitably shortening the trip as such probably would have made a world of difference. Still would have been feeding high sec ppls to null sec battlefleets but at least it would be a fight, not a gatecamp

also not sure why but i tried to post this as a "Quick Reply" but nothing actually happened
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1190 - 2013-11-14 12:00:37 UTC
better still they could have had single ended gates that launch you into the system at a random location (explorer style gates like this are already in the lore I think)

then the empire fleets would have been popping up all over the place and the pirates would have had to track them down. Some empire fleets would have been nice too to show their involvement. As it was it was a pointless mass gank, and had nothing to add to the 'losing control' lore either. I went along thinking their would be some kind of story development, leading players through some things to see before the final engagement. It's a shame as they could have done a lot more with this I feel.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#1191 - 2013-11-14 12:00:53 UTC
hahaha.

gonna have fun disecting this.

one thing I do want to make very clear for ccp directly because of how this event went: don't ever EVER get it into your heads to do any kind of event in our WH space. I will do all in my power to buck it up and then unsub. we got enough of your ccp BS to deal with in whs, we dont need ACTUAL ccp bucking us up directly.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#1192 - 2013-11-14 12:03:21 UTC
Aramatheia wrote:
hmm still not explaning why they couldnt have informed the pirates still but given the invading high sec fleets at least 1 short cut there via empire titans. Maybe have the empire titans jump them in then abandon the players once they engage the target/null sec folks. Kind of setting the tone for the empires losing thier gut?

simply bypassing gatecamp choke points and inevitably shortening the trip as such probably would have made a world of difference. Still would have been feeding high sec ppls to null sec battlefleets but at least it would be a fight, not a gatecamp

also not sure why but i tried to post this as a "Quick Reply" but nothing actually happened

He addressed that important issue:

Quote:
A. On the movement side, we would like to try using titans to bridge people to an event destination. That's certainly something we could see being very advantageous as well as giving people a chance to do something and see something they normally wouldn't in their usual gameplay.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#1193 - 2013-11-14 12:10:56 UTC
I especially like how ccp is all like 'guis guis! we came up with this awsom sauce idea all on our own; Titan bridges! were so awsom we know'

yea, good job ccp, no idea where you got that from -_-

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Killerjock
Von Neumann Industries
#1194 - 2013-11-14 12:12:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Killerjock
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Reading it for a First pass through it is looking good.

I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if you accidentally drunk your brain while you were toasting CCP in the last two days.

"CCP_Goliath" wrote:
We expected the Empire forces to successfully destroy the structure, interdict the pirate frigates who were trying to salvage what they could, and "win", so to speak.
-cut-
The safest approach to ensure a trickle rather than a flood of players was to use channels that would only reach certain amounts of players at once. [...] That said, it would have been unnecessary if we had reinforced the staging systems correctly, which was an organizational mistake on my part.
-cut-
We did not thoroughly research each system on the route, so we were unaware that Doril was a staging system until it was past the point of being able to do anything about it.
-cut-
The fact that some people left on time and still missed the event is something we are really sorry for, but sadly there was nothing we could do once the event had started.
-cut-
. Unfortunately we did not account for time dilation in this calculation and they ended up being too long. This is something we will improve on in future.

This basically amounts to:
- we did not reinforce the systems along the route we knew we would take;
- we purposedly forced the players to "trickle";
- we did not know where we were going;
- we didn't factor in the time needed for the people to arrive;
- we didn't realize we'd have TIDi.

But my favourite morsel must necessarily be this one:
Quote:
Why were the routes so long?
So that we had routes to collect more people on, and that felt like they came from the heartland of the empire. Also the longer travel time gives us exposition time for the story and casual RP while travelling tends to make the time go quicker. Unfortunately we did not account for time dilation in this calculation and they ended up being too long. This is something we will improve on in future.

So you didn't know where you were going, we didn't know where we were going, and you still expected to "pick up people" along the way; because everyone, seeying people "trickling" through a system, would think "hey there's people there, let's join them".
Also since we were trickling, how do you suppose one should've figured out we were moving to an event? And since we were going to null, how would you suppose one managed to clonejump, switch ships and join in? Did you expect us to jump to near-certain death fully equipped?

And you expected the hisec forces to win. That's why you've spawned npcs to help the pirates? Cuz it's known to all that nullsec veterans need help to fight off a bunch of uncoordinated, untested hisec bears coming in trickles to their turf.

Let me say that again. You thought that a bunch of ragtag fleets bunched up in hisec with mostly no clue, utter lack of organization, could've beaten organized nullsec blocs on their own turf after a long route that passed through known chokes and could easily be riddled with lowsec pirate raids - because it's not just nullsec blocs ya know, low sec has its share of "taken" pockets, that have no sov but are known to be hunting grounds for this or that corp/alliance. In fact there was at least one fleet of T3s camping alperaute.

CCP_Goliath wrote:
...infiltrated by rogue intelligence gatherers from capsuleer alliances

You post the destination on Twitter, but you believe the null blocs needed infiltrators to figure out where we were going. Makes perfect sense...Shocked

Also, I'm glad you came out with your own solutions - and that they're much smarter than ours, right? Evil

All this can be summed up with "ya know, we didn't really think about what would happen, just figured out it'd be cool". Which curiously reminds me of most Darwin Award Honourable Mentions.

I can't figure out if you're really that out of touch with the game (and I'm trying hard not to be offensive), or if you think we're drunken idiots.

Well, we've got our answer as we demanded. 'nuff discussing for my stomach.
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1195 - 2013-11-14 12:25:25 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Honestly, I am very heartened by this,

None of us can put our hands on our heart, and not only admit we made a mistake, but give every gory detail and details of everyones part?

Even if they wanted to could any businesses legal department allow them to?

We have a clear apology.
We have a commitment to improve.
They are acknowledging players good ideas.
They are clearly stating eve is for all.
They are also saying that favouring one group over another is NOT the companies policy and will never (again?) happen in future
It was not dressed up in marketing speak but carefully and with careful consideration.
It was genuine in it's intent and not a pacifier.

Personally, take a moment and it is a stunning reversal ... From the silence.

So yes when everything I could have wished for and more is given to us i think it was a good job.

After this,How we got here, is much less important than where we are going.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1196 - 2013-11-14 12:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius

So, I've read it once and these are my initial thoughts on "Operational Spectacle" as I dub it now:

This Dev Blog provides some of the background thinking into what the Live Event Team – Team Illuminati were trying to accomplish with this Live Event and that is due credit. I like that this was included.

"Leading to Rubicon" and the Lore
The fact that this Live Event leads into the Rubicon expansion is great from a RP or even just a player perspective to be part of that rather than just "Tadaa expansion is here" and that is also to be commended.

"Final Destination and Movement"

Deployment to Null Sec and Inclusion
Inclusion of both Hi-Sec, Low and Null type of play styles is always good but you have to bear in mind that going into Null with a "Kitchen Sink" fleet is always going to end the way that this event did and by that I mean you are handing essentially risk free kills and CONCORD Bounty Payments to those in Null (unless they are countered by another Null Entity who chose that time to attack them which would lead to some very interesting developments). These Live Events will always be in favour of the Null Blocs insofar as they can Titan Bridge and be set-up (as was experienced) in less time than I can jump one system at 10% TiDi. I am extremely interested to read that Titan Bridging for these events will be considered as that would be something unique that some of us have never seen except on a stream (I've been playing for 10 years and never Titan Bridged or even seen one!). Further on this point this would not remove the Null Blocs interaction or interdiction of players once they were in the target system but would ensure that fleets could get there without the grind through TiDI that was experienced on "Operational Spectacle".

TiDi Hell

I have to give some respect to CCP Goliath (and Team Illuminati) admitted that they fubared on reinforcing the systems:

"That said, it would have been unnecessary if we had reinforced the staging systems correctly," which does raise questions of the below quotes from the same Dev Blog:

1) "Unfortunately we did not account for time dilation in this calculation and they ended up being too long. This is something we will improve on in future."

Relay Communications

This is linked in the Dev Blog and was the message I got through backchannels of comms from Twitter "Attention mass of people in Sarum Prime. We kindly ask you start trickling over to Ihal for the event. #eveonline #tweetfleet". Now, rightly or wrongly, I assumed that this meant that Sarum was now closed due to numbers (I had already had to relog and had to elect to be moved to Irnal due to numbers in system) and that if you wanted in then a new staging area was being setup in Ihal. I still tried to verify the contents of this message as I was in Irnal trying to secure Fleet Members with my FC and WC. Clarity of communications should be as important as the communication itself.

"This trickle effect worked well and helped deal with server load." While this may have been the desired result from an infrastructure perspective from a customer experience it was both confusing and a bit in favour of those hooked into those streams at the time. I'm lucky to have two monitors but some are not (or play on a laptop) and some might not even know that Twitter and Facebook are available on the IGB (YouTube certainly isn't Blink) and I can include myself in that crowd. Thus it favours those who do know and gives them an advantage over those who don't on getting ahead of the pack so to speak. But then again...who wants to be first to jump into Null.

This information, while I appreciate you wanted this effect, serves to only confuse and exclude some people who may be turned off in future if this is how communication will come through. I personally had 3 extra channels open that day (Live Event, Out of Character and Intergalactic Summit along with the usual Corp, Local, Constellation and in addition to those I had Fleet and TS3 chatter. Now that's a lot of communication channels and now I have to add Twitter and Facebook and whosay and whatever other social media you may use? Twitter is bad as it's restricted to 140 characters and that is not a lot of space to get clear and concise information into (believe me, I've tried!) and clear, concise communications are required.[/i] A possible solution to Sarum Prime being over populated may have been to "spawn" a new staging system in an RP perspective such as "Capsuleers, Fleet Commander 'Xtreme Prejudice' has declared an auxiliary force is forming in Ihal and you are hereby requested to volunteer your services". This would've gotten people to trickle over while maintaining the fleet in Sarum Prime. The Twitter communication only delayed what you were trying to prevent and only for a very short time frame. Excited people were forwarding it (after they had got in warp I imagine) and so it spread like wildfire.

Overall first impression: A lot of information to go through and over again as I don't want to jump on the "CCP Bashing" wagon but I will say that there is no apology of substance in this thread apart from the "sorry you didn't make it" comment and that is a bit of a smack in the face for those that have posted for 7 days in this thread and across the forums and social media to get the IG and IRL concerns, complaints and opinions put across.

Forum ate my post. C&P 4TW. This is very much TBC and a WiP feedback (lack of space).
Max Mueller
MM GmbH u. Co. KG
#1197 - 2013-11-14 12:52:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Mueller
MadMcMax Ornulf wrote:

Marketing department damage control speech. Like "Do you plan on further improving the fantastic experience everyone had?" when it was a complete desaster.

PS: I want those eff-you and htfu guys back,
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1198 - 2013-11-14 12:52:58 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Personally, take a moment and it is a stunning reversal ... From the silence.

So yes when everything I could have wished for and more is given to us i think it was a good job.

After this,How we got here, is much less important than where we are going.

Anything compared to the stonewalling that we had is an improvement I agree but if you were abused everyday and then suddenly you got one day of not being abused would you give thanks to your abuser for that day off? No, well now look at this from a different perspective.

I do share the 'where we are going' philosophy but we cannot and should not forget the past: Not T20, nor Incarna, nor ToS, nor SomerBlink, nor the IWS or the other incidents that have hit CCP and EVE Online in it's time and neither should CCP. We remember so that it doesn't happen again or so that we can engage, resolve and return to the journey we are on.

I am still reviewing the Dev Blog but I'll give credit and appreciation where I think it's due as you should but I am by no means completely satisfied that this Dev Blog answers all my questions, concerns, grievances or complaints but I will post in a constructive manner.
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#1199 - 2013-11-14 13:04:08 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

He addressed that important issue:

Quote:
A. On the movement side, we would like to try using titans to bridge people to an event destination. That's certainly something we could see being very advantageous as well as giving people a chance to do something and see something they normally wouldn't in their usual gameplay.

i read the whole thing but managed to miss that block of text +1 for reading fail? be generous lol
Zero Bastanold
Doomheim
#1200 - 2013-11-14 13:07:21 UTC
MadMcMax Ornulf wrote:

Ummm not quite the response I was expecting.
All I will say after reading that is next time you do a live event
Don't do it half assed and put more time in to planning it.