These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM Team Update Bans Most Scamming

First post First post First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#41 - 2013-09-09 17:01:25 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Comor Dunathis wrote:

Perhaps CCP would like to enlighten me as to the diffference between the CFC and the New Order, since last I checked, they were both groups of players. Why is impersonating the CFC a violation of the TOS, but impersonating one of the New Order's subgroups not a violation of it?

Yeah, this is a good example of why this is bad, unworkable policy.

When has that stopped selective enforcement

lady scarlet jokes here

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#42 - 2013-09-09 17:01:48 UTC
Red Crown wrote:
Okay, I think what's happening here is that CCP wants every claim of identity to be checkable using the game. Impersonating CFC is off limits now because a player can't use EVE to determine if you're actually CFC. If I'm reading this right, then you CAN impersonate GoonWaffe because it's as simple as checking your information sheet.

I'm seeing this as a way to level the playing field for people who don't know Eve's meta-political landscape. Under these rules, everyone has the tools to verify someone's claim to identity - or at least to demand said proof with an in-game source.

The policy as written doesn't have those limitations, and that's not a problem that warrants this sort of heavy-handed intrusion. The New Order folks are quite correct as well to argue that there's no reason for this policy to apply to the CFC but not "mining permit holders".

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Doris Dents
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2013-09-09 17:02:00 UTC
Cold dark universe unless you mass petition then CCP will kiss your boo boos better and sweep away years of definitively stated policy with unexplained blog posts.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-09-09 17:02:57 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
This comes from the fact that there are players telling new people that they are representatives of,
for example, Republic University or other NPC corps
and ... i have this info from a scammer who did this and had a GM convo ...
because it seems to be a scam so widespread that it interferes with lore and live events, or something.
Paraphrasing this, because i forgot the exact wording.

That sounds like an...exceptionally weak justification for a poorly written policy that bans roleplaying. It's not at all a justification for all of the extra crap tacked on.

I added an edit.

That's what i've heard of and there's no reason to believe the scammer lied to me,
as there was no money involved. lol
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-09-09 17:04:15 UTC
Nah, they are just being dumb about how they cover a specific incident, OR they are crying because scams represent much of their workload.

Essentially a couple scammers modified the WIKI page for trusted 3rd parties to include themselves with something to the effect of ISD Verified. I forget the exact details as it was many weeks ago. This mean that the person that got scammed checked the wiki, say their names, say ISD verified, got scammed.

CCP reacted by ban hammer cause of this and made up some rules on the fly. Not content to stop there they went ahead and then blanket applied it across EVE.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#46 - 2013-09-09 17:04:49 UTC
Grabbing some popcorn.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#47 - 2013-09-09 17:06:47 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Nah, they are just being dumb about how they cover a specific incident, OR they are crying because scams represent much of their workload.

Essentially a couple scammers modified the WIKI page for trusted 3rd parties to include themselves with something to the effect of ISD Verified. I forget the exact details as it was many weeks ago. This mean that the person that got scammed checked the wiki, say their names, say ISD verified, got scammed.

CCP reacted by ban hammer cause of this and made up some rules on the fly. Not content to stop there they went ahead and then blanket applied it across EVE.

Ah, that seems pretty normal.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#48 - 2013-09-09 17:07:44 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
This comes from the fact that there are players telling new people that they are representatives of,
for example, Republic University or other NPC corps
and ... i have this info from a scammer who did this and had a GM convo ...
because it seems to be a scam so widespread that it interferes with lore and live events, or something.
Paraphrasing this, because i forgot the exact wording.

That sounds like an...exceptionally weak justification for a poorly written policy that bans roleplaying. It's not at all a justification for all of the extra crap tacked on.

I added an edit
That's what i've heard of and there's no reason to believe the scammer lied to me,
as there was no money involved. lol

Who doesn't love massively expansive legislation

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2013-09-09 17:09:04 UTC
That pizza incident would have never happened if CCP had actual vision
and introduced PIZZA FOR PLEX, a service with business relations all over the world.

Golden pods? Bullshit. The money lies in Pizza. I'm dead serious.
Red Crown
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2013-09-09 17:10:42 UTC
Weaselior wrote:

The policy as written doesn't have those limitations, and that's not a problem that warrants this sort of heavy-handed intrusion. The New Order folks are quite correct as well to argue that there's no reason for this policy to apply to the CFC but not "mining permit holders".

That's my interpretation of this conversation, posted earlier:

Comor Dunathis wrote:
I

Comor Dunathis > so basically, what i'm getting out of this is that player-made groups that surpass alliance/corp boundaries are not official groups
ISD FlowingSpice > Comor Dunathis That sounds about right. yes.
ISD FlowingSpice > Comor Dunathis To answer your question, groups, such as the CFC, as you asked, are included in the ToS change.So no. Don't do it.
Comor Dunathis > thanks. so everyone without a permit that claims to have one is now violating the TOS. gotcha.
ISD Arooga > Comor Dunathis not really

The policy as written seems like it could easily accommodate ISD FlowingSpice's claim. That makes it broad, and very open to interpretation. That could result in a serious chilling effect on a lot of gameplay. If this is meant to combat a specific incident , then it should be as specific as that incident at the very least.
Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#51 - 2013-09-09 17:11:04 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Hra Neuvosto wrote:
Does this mean roleplaying is dead?

WHat do you think.

Let's start reporting all roleplayers

There goes my dream of being a blood raider

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-09-09 17:13:57 UTC
Eventhough Im not a scammer myself, I feel like trying to reduce scams is akin to putting Concord in Null sec.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-09-09 17:15:45 UTC
Ban all mission runners for falsly representing NPC corps.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#54 - 2013-09-09 17:17:06 UTC
Are players in NPC corps 'representing NPC groups' if they form a fleet in their alliance? Worse, they accidentally get their corp mates killed?
E'lyna Mis Dimaloun
REUNI0N
Against ALL Authorities
#55 - 2013-09-09 17:18:22 UTC
This tops CCP Mintchip. Way to go guys!

Wonder how the CSM is going to damage control this one...
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2013-09-09 17:18:43 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
That pizza incident would have never happened if CCP had actual vision
and introduced PIZZA FOR PLEX, a service with business relations all over the world.

Golden pods? Bullshit. The money lies in Pizza. I'm dead serious.

CCP should just drop this dead end game and start a fast food chain!

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Andrea Griffin
#57 - 2013-09-09 17:22:04 UTC
I think that there is a severe disconnect between CCP's legal team and the rest of the company. They really should pass these things past the gameplay folks so that better language can be produced.

Eve is a game that has been, from the earliest incarnations, built on top of intrigue, double agents, and other clandestine activities. Such a ruling puts a big dent in someone's capabilities to act as a spy or prey on the intellectually weak.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#58 - 2013-09-09 17:24:08 UTC
E'lyna Mis Dimaloun wrote:
This tops CCP Mintchip. Way to go guys!

Wonder how the CSM is going to damage control this one...

"It's only there to catch goons"

"grr goons. ok"

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-09-09 17:24:18 UTC
So if ButthurtMcGee decides to report me for selling him 6 Tech moons that actually belonged to Evoke 2 years ago am I going to get banned?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-09-09 17:25:02 UTC
Sasha Angelis wrote:

March rabbit wrote:
why on Earth anyone would care about some stupid goonie who was punished for his scams? What?

Are we playing the same game or am I just smelling highsec carebear who got scammed?

well i don't see you around. so whatever you smell is your own flavor Cool

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"