These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#961 - 2013-08-30 23:28:19 UTC
Fruitfly Three wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Kirin Xaxos wrote:
Why would the Kronos and Paladin loose their web bonus if the Golum keeps its TP bonus? both web and TP are meant to allow the marauder to maximize his dps, that change would clearly make the kronos and paladin much weaker choices for PvE. and PvP.
i have noticed a lot of people in support of these changes for pvp, who i can only imagine are trolling and trying to seed misinformation on the mechanics of the MJD, in hopes of finding some PvP noob who doesn't know any better. the MJD is not a magical saving grace, a simple scram shuts it off, having extra range means nothing to a skilled tackler who keeps his Transversal up he can come right for you and your guns will gloriously miss. even if your in bastion all he has to do is orbit at close range and kill your small amount of drones waiting for his buddy in a neuting cruiser or Battle Ship to show up and then you die a slow painful death. all the while your bastion and range mean NOTHING.

Gee it's almost as if ships have weaknesses.

its almost like he was pointing out the glaring weaknesses that are presented with this change, that many had not thought of.

I think most people are aware of both of these.
I still think it's going to be a powerful ship.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

White Bear Maricadie
Downloaded Bears
#962 - 2013-08-30 23:29:23 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Fruitfly Three wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Kirin Xaxos wrote:
Why would the Kronos and Paladin loose their web bonus if the Golum keeps its TP bonus? both web and TP are meant to allow the marauder to maximize his dps, that change would clearly make the kronos and paladin much weaker choices for PvE. and PvP.
i have noticed a lot of people in support of these changes for pvp, who i can only imagine are trolling and trying to seed misinformation on the mechanics of the MJD, in hopes of finding some PvP noob who doesn't know any better. the MJD is not a magical saving grace, a simple scram shuts it off, having extra range means nothing to a skilled tackler who keeps his Transversal up he can come right for you and your guns will gloriously miss. even if your in bastion all he has to do is orbit at close range and kill your small amount of drones waiting for his buddy in a neuting cruiser or Battle Ship to show up and then you die a slow painful death. all the while your bastion and range mean NOTHING.

Gee it's almost as if ships have weaknesses.

its almost like he was pointing out the glaring weaknesses that are presented with this change, that many had not thought of.

I think most people are aware of both of these.
I still think it's going to be a powerful ship.

yet another pirate troll hoping to see some noob trying to use this for anything other then PvE
Lister Vindaloo
5 Tons of Flax
#963 - 2013-08-30 23:29:36 UTC
I love the boldness of the changes it seems to a real step to the side from what everyone was expecting. But similar to the initial industrial rebalance the ships seem to be more homogenous and dont really reflect their racial flavor, why drop drone bay on the Gal hull? Why does only one get ewar bonus? Lets see a bit more variety.

I do like the idea of more than one type is siege module, it could have one for pve performance and one for pvp?

On a side note, can we expect more 'siege' modules or similar for other T2's, or could this new mod have different effects depending on which hull it is fitted to?
Kestle Gunrunner
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#964 - 2013-08-30 23:30:37 UTC
With no damage bonus applied during bastion mode. This module and redesign of the ship will result in failure. If your aim was to get these ships in to pvp, well they wont. Noone will fly a over tanked stationary low dps ship in pvp. Not for the isk involved or the time needed to train for them. In pve, Incursion running yes most likely will be used. However the Tech 3 cruisers will still reign supreme for numerous reasons. The first is the cost, half a bill or less for a t3 that has more flexibility in build. The cost of a Marauder is closer to a Billion. Secound the time needed for training is shorter for the t3. I know folks are pointing at dps, and yes T3s can put out battleship lvl dps if fit for it. The T3 still has a simular tank due to its sig rad plus speed. Lets not mention the fact they can pack a heft tank themselves. So CCP, if you dont wish to have wasted your time developing and redesigning. I suggest you add a damage bonus to this module. If you dont do it on release youll have to come back to it later and do it.
White Bear Maricadie
Downloaded Bears
#965 - 2013-08-30 23:33:13 UTC
since the marauders would gain no DPS bonus when activated i hardly see any advantage to activating it. loosing mobility is always a bad thing
Large Collidable Object
morons.
#966 - 2013-08-30 23:33:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

They will also destroy a HAC

Pretty much anything above a capsule will either destroy or just disengage a HAC once odyssey 1.1 has hit (the latter option is even viable for pods), except battleships or above.

Other than that, Marauders will just end up being PVE ships as before, sometimes used with pirate implants, boosters and OGBs as gimmicks.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Sarmatiko
#967 - 2013-08-30 23:35:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
Berluth Luthian wrote:
The TP cycle time is for all TPs right? Not just on golems? That's an odd note to sneak this in on...

I read it as just on Marauders i.e. Golems but CCP Ytterbium please clarify this change.

Target painter cycle reduction is on the module themselves.

Have you considered re-introduction of Reverb Target Painter?
This module is really screaming "INSTALL ME ON MARAUDER instead of useless garbage you currently fitted in highslots".
If you concerned about EWAR balancing issues, why not limit this module to Marauders only, and see what happens?

Currently I don't see any benefit from Target painter in med-slot when compared to Tracking Computer on turret Marauder. Only additional micromanagement without obvious advantages. On the other hand, high-slot TP will provide optional additional DPS increase.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#968 - 2013-08-30 23:46:26 UTC
Large Collidable Object wrote:
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

They will also destroy a HAC

Pretty much anything above a capsule will either destroy or just disengage a HAC once odyssey 1.1 has hit (the latter option is even viable for pods), except battleships or above.

Other than that, Marauders will just end up being PVE ships as before, sometimes used with pirate implants, boosters and OGBs as gimmicks.

Or more likely as 10 million EHP cyno bait trollships.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Siginek
Newbie Friendly Industries
CeskoSlovenska Aliance
#969 - 2013-08-30 23:48:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Siginek
Like i wrote some pages back ... this module is good idea but it lack offensive abilities, specially for pvp its big problem and as u wrote this is about making maraucers more pvp like ... i have some ideas about this

1) Give to Bastion module little offensive boost, for example 25% damage and tracking bonus for turrets and equal bonus to missiles

2) Give Bastion module bigger offensive bonus but less deffensive bonus ... something like 50% bonus to damage of turrets and drones and 25% bonus to tracking of turrets and drones and change repair bonus to 50% from actual suggestion of 100%

3) While in Bastion mode marauders will get 25% bonus to damage and tracking of drones and amount of drones in space will be increased by 5 (up to 10) + marauders will get big drone bay and in bastion also big drone bandwith

And if u planning to keep their tractor beam range bonus it would be nice to increase it little because lack of mobility in bastion + give to marauders little charge bay so charges wont get mixed with salvage
Caius Sivaris
Dark Nexxus
#970 - 2013-08-30 23:51:07 UTC
Did coming up with those changes involve the consumption of large quantities of alcohol?

Out of deployed mode they will be as useless as ever in PvP due to their sensor strength not being fixed, a flight of EC-300 will likely be all it takes to take one out of the fight. (and nerfed drone bay removes a line of defense against that).

In deployed mode, neuts and moderate dps (sub 5k) will make short work of them, because even a 150% boosted tank won't be enough at all vs any gang worth fighting...

The only good role I see for them is being deployed against poorly defended POS in highsec... What an awesome niche to be in...

Seriously, what about stopping inventing ******** roles, just unnerf their sensor strength and sig radius and progress from there?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#971 - 2013-08-31 00:02:33 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I know the stacking penalty doesn't apply to the resistance bonus on the bastion module, but what about the optimal/falloff bonuses, the repair amount bonus, and the missile velocity bonus? IMO it really should not be stacking penalized.

Also it would be amazing if there were a tracking bonus on the module as well.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Aglais
Ice-Storm
#972 - 2013-08-31 00:04:56 UTC
Serious suggestion here.

The Marauders are all based on the Attack hulls. So the logical specialization of Marauders, especially given their NAME, their FLAVOUR TEXT and their general feel?

-Keep this special Marauder module. However: It should do the following:

• 30% increase to shield, hull and structure resistances
  • 50-75% reduction to active tanking module capacitor use
  • 150-200% reduction to 100MN MWD capacitor use (Seriously- they're SO CAP HUNGRY that they're NEARLY USELESS, when almost every other subcapital T2 ship is CAP STABLE with the MWD running- WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?)
  • 10% reduction in signature radius (Or more, or less- this is not a final number.)
  • When this module is activated, the ship's agility INCREASES. Speed unchanged.
  • Possible penalty to the range of weapons but with a little better damage application.

And then, take a look at the Marauders as follows. They are, as stated earlier, based on the Attack hulls. So, why not make them slightly faster by default (Very slightly, like maybe 1% or 2%), but a little less agile, so that once this module is active, they're more agile? Mass on par with or lighter than the current Attack BS hulls. Other alterations include increasing their sensor strength to 22-23 depending on hull. I don't really see the purpose of the tractor beam bonuses and etc. because the Noctis is a thing. Those could be replaced with something else, on a ship per ship basis.

"But what about the Machariel? Won't these Marauders that actually maraud interfere with it's role?"

Not really. The Marauders require this module to be active in order to run their MWD for significant periods of time (Suggestion: give the Machariel a role bonus that massively decreases 100MN MWD use). The Marauders are specialized into utilizing this module to become a very fast (for a battleship), high damage and resilient platform for when you are in a small, mobile gang, and actually want serious firepower that can keep up with you. Their main targets should be battlecruisers and battleships, but still have effectiveness against cruisers- frigates not so much. That's a role that doesn't really exist right now to my knowledge, and would be far better at harassment than... These changes. And again, the Marauders should focus on active tanking so as to not let them completely overtake everything in large gang fights.

Please hear us out here- this is not the right direction for Marauders. In fact I would be absolutely thrilled to see this intended role (T2 battleship that uses the Bastion Module and MJDs and etc. to basically become the stepping stone from subcaps to dreadnoughts) based on the tier 3 hulls. That'd fit SO much better IMO. I'm sure loads of other people in this thread would agree. So again, this idea isn't bad, it just doesn't 'fit'. This also IMO would decouple them from PvE somewhat.
Balthazar Lestrane
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Sedition.
#973 - 2013-08-31 00:05:24 UTC
I wonder when T2 and Pirate Faction Frigates are going to get some love.
Lee Church
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#974 - 2013-08-31 00:18:20 UTC
I think it would be a good idea to give marauders a T2 MJD (kinda like cov ops have a cov ops cloak) it would have slightly longer jump range with the same spool up etc, but the main advantage would be the ability to dictate how far you want to jump.

A standard MJD only really has the advantage of letting you GTFO (unless scrammed). for the kronos, using blasters, this isnt that usefull.... (as opposed to a sniper ship) but with the T2 MJD it would be a whole different story.

PVE : you would align to the heart of the rat fleet, jump in and drop into bastion, pound on the rats until your mjd has cooled down, then jump to the next best location for you blasters.

PVP : similar concept, and would play into the idea of it being a harrassing ship.

combined with a damage/ROF bonus, say 50% dps increase (i.e a 50% damage or a 35% rof bonus/some cobination of the two) the new marauders would be able to dictate range and lay down a lot of damage for a short period of time until the enemy fleet reacted to the rapid change in positioning.

just my thoughts on making CCPs raging desire to see MJDs used actually give us something interesting to play with.
Simmar en Distel
Collegium of Eminent Technotopia
#975 - 2013-08-31 00:20:57 UTC
TRANSFORMING...

BLACKOUT deploying ECM BURST

MJD ACTIVATED....

:)
Dead Jedi
Lone Star Warriors
Brave Collective
#976 - 2013-08-31 00:24:03 UTC
[quote=CCP Ytterbium][list]

• In deployed mode (we call it bastion), their hulls transform (they will have fancy visible animations like the Rorqual does when deploying) and they become fixed weapon placement with a bonus to resistances, tanking, damage projection and receiving EW immunity. However, like Dreadnoughts, they cannot be remote assisted or even move when that happens. They also cannot use Micro Jump Drives in that mode.

• While you are at it why don't you make all the dreads and carriers transform when their triage and siege modules are enabled. Big smile

Tzel Mayon
    State War Academy
    Caldari State
    #977 - 2013-08-31 00:28:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tzel Mayon
    Aglais wrote:
    Serious suggestion here.

Not really. The Marauders require this module to be active in order to run their MWD for significant periods of time (Suggestion: give the Machariel a role bonus that massively decreases 100MN MWD use). The Marauders are specialized into utilizing this module to become a very fast (for a battleship), high damage and resilient platform for when you are in a small, mobile gang, and actually want serious firepower that can keep up with you. Their main targets should be battlecruisers and battleships, but still have effectiveness against cruisers- frigates not so much. That's a role that doesn't really exist right now to my knowledge, and would be far better at harassment than... These changes. And again, the Marauders should focus on active tanking so as to not let them completely overtake everything in large gang fights.

I really like the idea about the MWD bonuses.

Give Marauders the ability to dual prop an MWD and MJD. Keep the signature bonus penalty, if you want. This kind of battlefield agility needs some sort of risk.

So, it can be warp disrupted, and the MWD AND the MJD would be ineffective.

I do think with this kind of mobility, they will need damage projection buffs. And with the MWD, potentially a tracking bonus for gun ships.

The "Siege Mode" could be used for tracking, projection, and DPS.

I believe there should be another ship entirely for a siege mode with a tank bonus.

Maruaders, by definition of Harassment, hit and run, etc, are NOT tanky ships.

So, perhaps change the goal of "Harassment" to something else, or give us a ship that can really harass!

As a side note, can we have a Robotec class frigates? -- I mean, we have hacking mini-games now... why not Transforming Robot Ninjas in space? :)
    LtTrog
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #978 - 2013-08-31 00:28:55 UTC
    interesting ideas but one problem regarding the golem, the range bonus is useless for cruise fits a dps or dps application bonus would be better. Torps them selves just need a slight range boost but thats another post.

this is going to make them scary in null pve not sure id want to be stuck in bastion when I see probes on scan then again with that tank you could hold off a small gang
    Galphii
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #979 - 2013-08-31 00:35:00 UTC
    The term 'marauder' speaks of a fast, hit-and-run sort of vessel, not 'I'm going to sit here for a minute and be bait'.

Speed is far more valuable in a fight than protection, so I'd suggest forgetting about the stationary 'mini-dreadnought' thing you've got going at the moment and consider other options. Marauding options.

• Drop the tractor beam and ewar options. They're not useful in the new role you're plotting out and there is also the Noctis.
    • Increase the sensor strength to normal BS levels.
    • Have the 'bastion' module disable warp drive and shunt power to weapons and conventional engines (speed+dps). Now that's useful for raiding. Combine that with the MJD and you've got a big, high damage ship that's a little fragile but highly mobile, perfect for hit and run.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

M1k3y Koontz
    Speaker for the Dead
    Stay Feral
    #980 - 2013-08-31 01:08:06 UTC
    Fruitfly Three wrote:
    why not fix the sensor strength on the marauders? that along with t2 resists would be more then enough to make the PvP viable.
    the tractor beam buff seems silly altogether. what lvl 4 runner doesn't use a noctis? please keep the web bonus, any paladin or kronos pilot who dosent use their webs or cant seem to make it work probably shouldn't even fly a marauder. half the reason i love the paladin is the webs being able to pop the tiny stuff that gets close, and apply Full DPS to the close orbiting cruisers and BS's i didn't train into this ship to watch my ****** little drones slowly kill frigs and cruisers. i want to webb them down and blap them in a single volly with my guns.

The tractor beam buff goes under "might as well" because it gives the option to use htem, otherwise there would be no point whatsoever.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.