These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Barbie D0ll
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6161 - 2013-10-18 00:05:49 UTC
I would drop the MJD and/or the tractor bonus for an addional damage bonus while sieged (yes I do consider the implimentation = to siege)

Also, the marauder is pretty damn vulnerable to frigates, a dedicated mid to a capacitor booster (which you have a limited supply of), and the fact you are stationary means you will spend most of your time acting like a BS sized dread without the damage bonus.
Yes the range bonus is nice and it translates into better damage application, but it doesn't mean "more damage", it means "better range".

More range is always useful if the enemy isn't in your face or in his face. At which point this becomes a better sniper ship because you need to be more than 100km out if you want to avoid the alpha strike.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#6162 - 2013-10-18 00:24:39 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:
Xqpvqsvs Qr'atyuqink wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

pfffft easy. mjd to a mid point 100km away from gate/ starting point

Whats the point of mjd if warpgate is at half of mjd range?, u will jump it over and end on other side as far as u was before. learn math mate

Besides half missions got npcs between your warpingpoint and warpgate, and some got npcs at warpgate, so juimping around in random directions wont help at all.

Hahahahahaha!

learn math?

Hahahaha omg I cant breathe!

pythagoras would like to have a word with you, as would your primary school math teacher.

Ive tested this on sissi. it works. your theory crafting means nothing in the face of actual expetience.

But doing triangulation would still be slower than traveling those same 60km for example on a vargur with deadspace ABurner.

Did you miss the post where I said it actually wouldn't?

Unless that is you are going faster than 700m/s you're not going to be faster than a MJD. if you are going around 700m/s it will take THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME as doing a triangulation.

9sec to spool up the MJD, 1min of bastion, another 9 sec to spool up. that's 88sec. 60km going at 700m/s will take you 85.7sec

lawl

You are deconsiredign the 15 seconds a marauder takes more or less to correct its direction so you MJD to the correct position. Of course some of that overlaps, but its more complicated aand at end less efficient because the propulsion mod is more versatile. SPecially when the distances are smal like 20 km to a gate.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6163 - 2013-10-18 00:37:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Anize Oramara
Shivanthar wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

Did you miss the post where I said it actually wouldn't?

Unless that is you are going faster than 700m/s you're not going to be faster than a MJD. if you are going around 700m/s it will take THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME as doing a triangulation.

9sec to spool up the MJD, 1min of bastion, another 9 sec to spool up. that's 88sec. 60km going at 700m/s will take you 85.7sec

lawl

It is ~82 seconds for a gate @60km. Because, with ab/mwd or slowboating, you only need to go distance minus 2,5 km in order to activate the gate.

- You HAVE TO complete triangulation cycle for mjd in order to get your target, which is 88 seconds fixed at this example, even for a gate that is 20km away (considering perfect triangulation every time).
- In a chance of miss triangulation (which will be pretty common), you HAVE TO slowboat to the gate.
- Missions perspective, there are very rare 60km-away Gates from entry, most of them are located 10 - 40km in missions.

To summerize, anything closer than 61,6 km from you, will be faster with AB (with 700m/s on this example).

wait, you go 700m/s with an AB in a Vargur?

Wat?

With lv5 skills and a Gist X-type 100mn AB you go 479m/s so stop talking out your rear orifice.

Also, for the minute I'm bastioned I have pretty decent accurate guns since I'm standing still and not going 700m/s so popping frigs etc.

Thats also not taking into account the misisons where the gates are FARTHER than 50km away, like 100km+ I'll be on the gate in 9sec. good luck catching up in those.

Also don't be that guy who cant switch out a MJD for a MWD depending on the mission. It's not that hard I can give you a video tutorial on switching out modules if you need it.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6164 - 2013-10-18 00:47:33 UTC
I really wish Bastion was an offensive module.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6165 - 2013-10-18 00:48:34 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

I use it as one, don't know what everyone else's hang up is.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6166 - 2013-10-18 00:56:36 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Really? How much additional DPS are you getting out of yours...

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#6167 - 2013-10-18 01:01:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Really? How much additional DPS are you getting out of yours...

What Anize means is that the Bastion's boost to defense is being used with short-range weapons to enable a more aggressive fitting and tactic that would otherwise not work.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6168 - 2013-10-18 01:07:03 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
What Anize means is that the Bastion's boost to defense is being used with short-range weapons to enable a more aggressive fitting and tactic that would otherwise not work.

Yes, I know what he means - but Bastion is a defensive module. If instead of boosting resistances Bastion absorbed all heat while activated, you'd have a nice bump to actual DPS.

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6169 - 2013-10-18 01:26:50 UTC
I kill stuff twice as fast as I normally do.

Can't give half a rats rear about dps on paper, I care only for results.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6170 - 2013-10-18 01:34:40 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
I kill stuff twice as fast as I normally do.
Can't give half a rats rear about dps on paper, I care only for results.

Actual performance is going to vary widely depending on Marauder and application.

Serge SC
The Valhalla Project
#6171 - 2013-10-18 01:38:54 UTC
I'm iwth Anize on this one. I did several missions today, having faced guristas on a vargur was painful, easily 1h in Dread Pirate Scarlet because I spend a great portion of time jammed...and when those awful TDs hit from Sansha it's a pain to hit anything that's not in-your-face-range (for 800 vargur).

Having that ewar immunity and being so far out, makes you distance tank a lot, add to that I require only 1 invul and bastion to actually tank, I can fit TCs and Sebos. I'm actually applying damage better (tested with 1400s). I would test the same 1400 varg on TQ, but I refuse to add that many PG mods to a ship...none of my fits ever require a PG mod, if it doesn't fir with an EG-606, then the fit requires some thinking (=.

My point is that granted, my paper DPS is terrible capping at 1200 DPS, but I'll take 1200 DPS at 0.1 tracking (for autocannons with 1 TC+1TE) over 1500DPS at half the tracking...in short, in your face blapping brawler for missions will work wonderfully, especially with the lock range, and getting full room aggro, tank all, kill all, reposition, and repeat.

Serge SC Le Frenchman Friendly FC

Bob Niac
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6172 - 2013-10-18 03:07:47 UTC
Hmm.. Time for a new thread? Over 3000 pages and still rolling strong.

[u]I <3 Logistics:[/u] Pilot of all  T2 logi and my shiny Archon [deceased.] Also a Chimera which may or may not be horrid. I don't make games, I play them. I get that ppl are passionate about change. I post here to plant seeds. You see your idea as is? Holy **** you win! So let's post, and see what the DEVs and our peers use.

Teegra Frost
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6173 - 2013-10-18 04:18:09 UTC
CCP Ytterbium and team,

On the Paladin could the 5% bonus to capacitor capacity be replaced with a large laser turret tracking per level?

It would work and feel better with the role of Marauders being able to project damage better.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#6174 - 2013-10-18 05:08:14 UTC
Teegra Frost wrote:
CCP Ytterbium and team,

On the Paladin could the 5% bonus to capacitor capacity be replaced with a large laser turret tracking per level?

It would work and feel better with the role of Marauders being able to project damage better.

Either un-nerf the cap or roll the 5% cap bonus into hull stats and then do that.
Serge SC
The Valhalla Project
#6175 - 2013-10-18 05:31:38 UTC
Even rate of fire on the Paladin could do!

Heck, I'll even take a bonus to NOS/Neut and 25% extra cap built into the hull...

Serge SC Le Frenchman Friendly FC

Arcosian
Arcosian Heavy Industries Corp Holding
#6176 - 2013-10-18 06:09:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Arcosian
Well after looking at the recent update to EFT and putting together a few fits typical of what I usually run I really don't think bastion is going to do much in terms of making PVE content any easier/more fun since it is a defensive module and not an offensive one. I also don't think marauders will be used in PVP very much due to the limited role bastion puts them in.

CCP seems to have "listened" to the community about marauders not really having a role in PVP as they were originally a PVE ship so they designed a specific mod to "fix" everything that is wrong with them PVP wise. Now being a older player and having used all 4 of them in addition to what I have read on the forums for the last 5 years, marauders aren't used in PVP for the following reasons:

1. Poor sensor strength so they are easily jammed
2. Very expensive (cost the same as a carrier with poor insurance)
3. Slow (heavy/fitting issues with MWD)

So instead of doing a complete redesign and actually making marauders useful in PVP, much like their T2 counterparts, CCP has pigeon holed them them into the role of long range sniper that jumps around the battle field using MJD. While I think this idea seems kind of cool "having a hard hitting hard tanking auxiliary fleet that constantly jumps out of harms way" I don't think it's going to be used much. Bastion gives marauders EWar immunity, gives them insane tanks and CCP increased their fittings to allow marauders to use MJDs but unless alliances will reimburse the ships I don't see why someone would want a fleet of marauders instead of a fleet of carriers that can tank the same amount, do the same DPS, can be insured and immediately jump out of system when the battle is over all while having much less SP requirements.

Now from a PVE point of view the only missions I could see myself using bastion would be in L4 Blockade and The Assault; mainly because those missions have very heavy ewar making them a pain to do. Marauders don't need more tank for missions nor do they really need more range because by the time you fit tracking and range mods to your ship you can already shoot just about everything quite easily. Also most missions have gates so I don't see why I would want to stay put for 60 seconds at a time for bastion when I could be burning to the next gate.

Now I know a lot of people have been saying bastion will allow one to fit more damage mods but from what I've read on the test server forums if you DC while in bastion your ship won't warp until the cycle ends. This seems really dangerous to me because if one mostly relies on bastion for their tank and DCs then comes out of bastion while DCed and all resists to drop 30% on their gank fit marauder this could possibly result in the loss of a bil+ isk ship.

To me it seems like bastion is just going to be another MJD mod that nobody uses.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6177 - 2013-10-18 07:47:37 UTC
Arcosian wrote:

To me it seems like bastion is just going to be another MJD mod that nobody uses.

Our fleets use them.

The reason why nobody ever used marauders is because there was a better BS for every job it could do with none of the drawbacks it suffered. With these changes I now have a reason to use even the golem.
Kane Fenris
NWP
#6178 - 2013-10-18 08:40:56 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

You are deconsiredign the 15 seconds a marauder takes more or less to correct its direction so you MJD to the correct position. Of course some of that overlaps, but its more complicated aand at end less efficient because the propulsion mod is more versatile. SPecially when the distances are smal like 20 km to a gate.

havent been on testserver myself but from this i conclude you cant rotate (align) while in bastion mode?

...if so that would be sad and should be changed
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#6179 - 2013-10-18 08:55:53 UTC
So many themepark carebear tears, excellent.

The Tears Must Flow

Brib Vogt
Doomheim
#6180 - 2013-10-18 09:07:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Brib Vogt
Kane Fenris wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

havent been on testserver myself but from this i conclude you cant rotate (align) while in bastion mode?

...if so that would be sad and should be changed

And it is even worse. (Underlined part)

I tested the 1400 arty version within sisi with high tracking, an MJD, only one t2 invul and an afterburner, because sometimes it is just stupid to triangulate for 20 km. The problem with this ship is the way you need to use it.

I did a worlds collide and first pocket I used afterburner to get to the gate and with my range rig i could target the rats and kill them on the way. Yay, saved some time.

Second pocket i needed to instantly activate MJD and jumped off, activated bastion and kill the rats. While it is totally relaxing you have to use all guns one by one or you lose a lot of isk/hour. Still it seems a lot slower and i really needed more time then with a package of 800s. Maybe due to angels.

ATM the bastion turned off the vargur starts accelerating in direction and with speed it had before it went into Bastion. so to activate MJD again you have to re align, lose speed and accelerate again.

Conclusion

I don't know, this style is nothing for me. I like to fly into a bunch of ships, take full agro and kill em all. Vargur was already an awesome tanker, something what a macha never could do. For me with bastion you take it away. I do not need more tank, i need more damage.

And for a Vargur the applied damage in fall-off means nothing if your fall off is 60km or 70, when you are used to kill the rats at 30km. it increases the max damage by around 20 dps.

You only can apply most damage if you stay inside a 90% DPS range, which for 70km fall off means within 20km (addition of 5km optimal).