These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6041 - 2013-10-17 07:16:07 UTC
Jade Knight07 wrote:
To me its more of a hassle than its worth. I still use T2's which I really shouldn't be. When I use drones the ships always target the same one till its dead. For instance when I first launch they all focus fire on one. it takes a little damage I pull them in wait for the ships to agro me again then launch drones. The same drone that was damaged is always retargeted and the rest ignored until its dead. Then they target a new one and the cycle continues.

All I am saying is its not very practical to keep pull them in and launching. Its much easier for me to web the frigs and move towards them slowly and kill them with a single volley from my Kronos. While the weber is slowing them down I simply attack larger ships until I can one shot them. Take away the 90% weber and it become mush harder. I tried the same method when I was flying a Hyperion and mega.

These are not the drones you're looking for... I honestly don't care about the stasis web bonus one way or the other, but I think this whole Marauder fiasco serves as an example of how not to conduct a rebalancing. I previously made the suggestion to just defer this until the next update after Rubicon, and I still think considering how important these ships are that it's probably the best way forward.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Jade Knight07
#6042 - 2013-10-17 07:19:12 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
Edit: And if you are going to tell me to use drones then apparently you haven't use them recently. I lose a few drones every time I use them. Even being supper vigilant. They've almost become a non options. Only for use in dire situations.

And here everyone is complaining about the loss of drones, when they're obviously much squishier.
Much ado about nothing. I'll settle for 'some' of your stuff.

To me its more of a hassle than its worth. I still use T2's which I really shouldn't be. When I use drones the ships always target the same one till its dead. For instance when I first launch they all focus fire on one. it takes a little damage I pull them in wait for the ships to agro me again then launch drones. The same drone that was damaged is always retargeted and the rest ignored until its dead. Then they target a new one and the cycle continues.

All I am saying is its not very practical to keep pull them in and launching. Its much easier for me to web the frigs and move towards them slowly and kill them with a single volley from my Kronos. While the weber is slowing them down I simply attack larger ships until I can one shot them. Take away the 90% weber and it become mush harder. I tried the same method when I was flying a Hyperion and mega.

Mega has no problem hitting frigs out to 15km, any left are easily mopped up with the drones.

Hmm, well I have trouble hitting drones once they are inside of 30k with any 425mm rails on any ships. I try and kill them before they get within 40k which doesn't always happen either. I am unsure how you are managing at 15k as that has not be my experience. I'll accept that you do.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6043 - 2013-10-17 07:27:53 UTC
Jade Knight07 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
Edit: And if you are going to tell me to use drones then apparently you haven't use them recently. I lose a few drones every time I use them. Even being supper vigilant. They've almost become a non options. Only for use in dire situations.

And here everyone is complaining about the loss of drones, when they're obviously much squishier.
Much ado about nothing. I'll settle for 'some' of your stuff.

Mega has no problem hitting frigs out to 15km, any left are easily mopped up with the drones.

Hmm, well I have trouble hitting drones once they are inside of 30k with any 425mm rails on any ships. I try and kill them before they get within 40k which doesn't always happen either. I am unsure how you are managing at 15k as that has not be my experience. I'll accept that you do.

with bastion you need far less tank than normal. if youve fit 4 tank modules you now only need two at most. this means you fit 2 additional TE or a TE and damage mod. in the mids you replace your web(s) with tracking comps with tracking scrpts.

Again I urge you to test this on sissi so you can see the error of you ways

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Jade Knight07
#6044 - 2013-10-17 07:28:18 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:
TL:DR: If CCP breaks this class of ships because of their false assumptions I'll unsub my 3 accounts.

Dibs on your stuff.

haha you wish '-)

Something else occurred to me. CCP said something about not needing the web bonus because you'll be able to MJD away and then pick off the targets. My numbers may be in off but here it goes:

Warp to grid enemies 50k-ish away
Lock targets small ships take 30-ish seconds
MJD away they are now 150k away wait till they are 108k (Kronos Targeting range)
Wait 30-ish seconds, frigs are now much closer
Pick off frigs, some get closer
MJD again they are again out of lock range
Retarget frigs pick off frigs
ect.

So now you are sitting a few hundred Km away from where you started and there is a gate, which was already 50k from warp in. So now you MJD once wait for cool down and then slow boat the rest of the way to the gate with the new and improved nerfed speed.

Throw in bastion mode and you'll be wasting even more time.

Does this really sound good to anyone...?

This gentleman would like to enquire as to what you are smoking or if you have just not bothered to actually test bastion on the test server. my guess would be the latter as I wouldnt like to assume mind altering substance abuse.

First of, with base sensor changes and a single sebo I'm locking frigs in under 9 seconds. so far in 95% of the time Ive popped eve frig that has auto agressed in any mission and have popped 100% of every frig that hasent. the 5% ive killed with my light drones and not got a single one shot at.

Your example of mjd usage is... not so good.

plainly speaking, you sir are doing it very very wrong. please test on sissi so your future posts are not tainted by ignorance.

I have not tested on Sisi in some time. I didn't realize the sensor changes had that large of an effect on lock times. In missions that have a lot of frigs I find it hard to kill all of them before they start to orbit. having a cycle time of around 5.6 seconds its not possible. I also realize that on sisi you can MJD away to get the rest. I still think that it would increase time to complete the mission. I am just brain storming, I hope I am not offending anyone.

P.s. drugs are bad mmkay
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6045 - 2013-10-17 07:29:31 UTC
Jade Knight07 wrote:

Blasters.

Your rails should still be effective down to 15 to 20k if you burn away from the frigs and force them to follow.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6046 - 2013-10-17 07:42:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Well...

I guess that stops me using my Kronos for PVP.

I liked it for the simple fact that it was a MEGA on Steroids with utility HighSlots and and the ability to quickly kill small targets thanks to the extre WEB Bones.

Same DPS
More Buffer
3 Nuets
Web Bonus

I don't PVE but the WEB Loss in PVP makes the ship not worth it to PVP in.

Might as well replace it with the Cheaper MEGA Navy which has 1 nuet and fit two webs on it to take care of those smaller pesky targets. However not sure the slot layout will allow that to work so well, I still want that cap booster for incase. If I wanted RAW DPS I will undock my Vindi. But I do like the Utility High for Nuets which the Vindi does not have.

Sometimes I wonder if CPP just thinks of **** to justify their salaries or if they wake in morning... How can we screw with things today to **** people off.

I have never used a MJD and never will. I just don't see the need for it for it other than for the PVE folks. Jumping around in PVP.. please.. catch a wake up CCP.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6047 - 2013-10-17 07:42:43 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:

Blasters.

Your rails should still be effective down to 15 to 20k if you burn away from the frigs and force them to follow.

im sure rails and arty will also be effective for their increased dammage application at longer ranges than AC and blasters and will be vable alternatives but they WILL require slightly different tactics. that said I was blown away by what difference just two TC did to my tracking and ability to hit frigs as well as the decrease in locking time with a single sebo (base 166, 266 sebo'd scan res).

from my testing last night Id say my average missipn times will prolly go down once I get used to the bastion timing and proper use of the mjd. jumping into the center of a ball of cruiser/bs had me ripping them a new one in half the time it would have taken me normally.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Jade Knight07
#6048 - 2013-10-17 07:45:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Knight07
baltec1 wrote:
Jade Knight07 wrote:

Blasters.

To a point. I didn't want to explain all the tactics I use while running missions but I'll attempt to get most of them in real quick.

I always kill frigs first I try and go for those that might web or scramble me first. Depending on the mission I might burn away like smash the supplier. Where I accept I won't be able to salvage a lot of the wrecks while running the mission. In others I try and stay close enough to the wrecks to tractor and salvage. With the new T2 tractor beams that is within 48k. Because I am attempting to say close to the wrecks I use ammo that puts my optimal around that. IIRC I've been using plutonium(45 optimal) more recently. Before I used Uranium(56 optimal). There are a number of serp missions where there is a massive amount of small ships, mostly frigs, destroyers, and cruisers. These missions I will head in the opposite direction. My goal is to clear and salvage at the same time. This way when I am done popping the ships there usually is only a few wrecks left to be salvage.

When it comes to fitting I don't use a (lot of: was trying to say I don't waste lows on unnecessary tank) lows for tank, DCUII, LAR, 2 Omni tank mods and 3 damage mods. mids is a MWD, Weber, 2 Cap Rechargers.

With this I don't have to refit for new missions, and its very effective (quick). Its not cap stable but its close. I absolute love this setup and I really don't want it to change. This is why I am against anything that is going to alter how I use it. I spent years training for this ship and spent a lot of time getting the funds together.

Edit: typo's
Sato Page
Auctor Illuminatas Infinitum
#6049 - 2013-10-17 07:47:07 UTC
Hi CCP I have an idea. How about remove incursion from hisec, this will surely force people to PvP in their Paladins and Kronoses.

Dinsdale Pirannha for [u]CEO [/u]of [u]CCP[/u]

Lina Theist
Rosendal Research and Development
#6050 - 2013-10-17 07:50:05 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Why keeping the damage projection in Bastion stacking penalized?

• We want to keep the projection in check. A Paladin with Scorch can already reach insane ranges (to the point where Beams are quite redundant on it), so we are not willing to remove the stacking penalty for now. Or at least not until we are seeing some hard use numbers on TQ first.

• Why would I want to use Marauders in Incursions now that the web bonus is gone?

• There are other advantages to Marauders - internal play tests have shown us than kitting through the MJD bonus is very effective, as NPC warp scramblers don't stop you from using it. Plus their tank is good enough not to require Logistic support. Bottom line is, we are not willing to leave a web bonus on Marauders to cater to ultra-specialized Incursion fittings when that conflicts with our design goals and their role as a whole. Especially when alternative tactics exist that make them still very effective in Incursions.
  • [/list]

Hope that helps, I will post the changes in the original thread Blink.

Perhaps the scorch issue lies not with the modules but with the ammo? I would argue that null is amazingly good as well, and I can't express an opinion on hail or whatever because I'm not a dirty minmatar pilot. Scorch could either use a damage nerf or a projection nerf to keep it in line with null. Food for thought.

Also, it was news to me that MJDs work through NPC scrams and I must admit that makes them a lot more interesting to me. If you buff tractor beam speed/range to keep it in line with the MJD jump range I as a wormhole dweller would actually try these changes out.
    Wedgetail
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #6051 - 2013-10-17 07:51:55 UTC
    Serge SC wrote:

The Vargur, I'm trying to understand why our matari pride is so underpowered and doesn't really make sense. Tracking bonus is useless for a sniper, but damage and ROF is too much..100% to gun damage, 25% to gun damage AND 25% ROF? Too much. What other way to increase the damage? The low DPS is inherent to artilleries then (BUFF 1400!! zOMGWTFBBQLOLPWETTYPWEASE)

I've seen 1400mm tempests instapop kiting stealth bombers, clearly you're underestimating the sheer badassery a high tracking no damage lost to range 1400mm ship represents to anything larger than space dust.....

there's a reason the vargur has only 1/3rd the PG of a maelstrom upon its initial release...and tracking buffed 1400mm's were it.

@Ytterbium & co.

I'm relieved to see CCP is actually decided on doing their job now, however bastion is still a broken box of fertilizer that doesn't really achieve much of anything that's not already there for the ships to use as they are now on TQ.

honestly believe CCP should stop focusing on making these 'solo battleships' cuz battleships don't solo (they used to, but no longer and never again) - they work in packs or teams, at lowest supported 1 BS with a few(2-3) BC/t3 hulls (granted many good nano pest, machariel and phoon fits that used to do well prior nerfs - but not anymore) slow, low agility ships on hunting roams are dead ships, or best ships that go home empty handed.

so i can't help but sit here and laugh when i read your posts suggesting you're scared at these ships being good in RR fleets, even though it's what marauders are currently good at - it's like they don't wanna see people working as a team in EvE and want us all to become self dependent isolationists that wouldn't understand the concept of a fleet even after it hit us in the face.

marauders are already tanky enough for missions, incursions and anomalies, already have enough capacitor recovery when flown right to not need an ASB EVER, much less a dual fit (sure it still has advantages but it's not the requirement many here are suggesting it is)

what they lack is a good way to roll them into fleets where PvP pilots can actually use them, without needing to undock 4 squadrons of remote booster ships for one marauder hull - damage projection's no good when you're fighting at ranges less than 50 kilometers 9/10 times and at 150 for the rest - these ships already project at those ranges - and more importantly so do the targets they're trying to hunt.

ewar immunity's great and all but i can't move to maintain my own tackle, no battleship really can - so will be required to function in a team anyway if i hope to kill anything, may as well carry another vampire instead to power my shield booster while i nuke the target my interceptors have caught - or better yet a few RR mods and cap xfers.

you need to rethink the system a bit as i have said before, and'll be inclined to keep saying until you've got it done - you've been given good ideas here make use of them.
    baltec1
    Bat Country
    Pandemic Horde
    #6052 - 2013-10-17 07:57:32 UTC
    Jade Knight07 wrote:

With this I don't have to refit for new missions, and its very effective (quick). Its not cap stable but its close. I absolute love this setup and I really don't want it to change. This is why I am against anything that is going to alter how I use it. I spent years training for this ship and spent a lot of time getting the funds together.

You can drop that down to just two or three tank mods now though for level 4s. This leaves you with a good number of free slots to get more tracking and damage on this ship.
    Anize Oramara
    WarpTooZero
    #6053 - 2013-10-17 08:12:47 UTC
    Jade Knight07 wrote:
    baltec1 wrote:
    Jade Knight07 wrote:

Blasters.

To a point. I didn't want to explain all the tactics I use while running missions but I'll attempt to get most of them in real quick.

I always kill frigs first I try and go for those that might web or scramble me first. Depending on the mission I might burn away like smash the supplier. Where I accept I won't be able to salvage a lot of the wrecks while running the mission. In others I try and stay close enough to the wrecks to tractor and salvage. With the new T2 tractor beams that is within 48k. Because I am attempting to say close to the wrecks I use ammo that puts my optimal around that. IIRC I've been using plutonium(45 optimal) more recently. Before I used Uranium(56 optimal). There are a number of serp missions where there is a massive amount of small ships, mostly frigs, destroyers, and cruisers. These missions I will head in the opposite direction. My goal is to clear and salvage at the same time. This way when I am done popping the ships there usually is only a few wrecks left to be salvage.

When it comes to fitting I don't use a (lot of: was trying to say I don't waste lows on unnecessary tank) lows for tank, DCUII, LAR, 2 Omni tank mods and 3 damage mods. mids is a MWD, Weber, 2 Cap Rechargers.

my testing has shown that a single omni tank mod and the LAR is all you will need, have fun with your two free lows. you can replace the webber with a tracking mod, a cap recharger with a sebo because of how strong your reps are and replace the mwd with a mjd. you might even be able to replace the second cap booster with a TC too. you can switch from tracking scripts to range as needed and even use AM ammo.

adapt and you will do missions so much faster than before. also remember, no more npc ewar, ever!

Brib Vogt
    Doomheim
    #6054 - 2013-10-17 08:15:07 UTC
    [Vargur, Tech2]
    Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
    Tracking Enhancer II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
    Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
    X-Large Shield Booster II
    100MN Afterburner II

800mm Repeating Artillery II, Republic Fleet Fusion L
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot] <-- Bastion

Large Projectile Burst Aerator II
    Large Projectile Ambit Extension I

Warrior II x5
    Bouncer II x2

---

[Machariel, New Setup 1 copy 1]
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II

Gist C-Type X-Large Shield Booster
    100MN Afterburner II
    Pith A-Type Explosive Deflection Field
    Pith C-Type Kinetic Deflection Field

Large Remote Capacitor Transmitter II

Large Projectile Burst Aerator I
    Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
    Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Bouncer II x4
    Warrior II x5

While the Vargur becomes a lot more unattractive to gankers it stays weaker in pure DPS output and through bastion it ends up in less applied damage.

old summary of mine:

Quote:
    Macha:

1154 DPS (with sentries 1343 DPS)
    540 m/s
    4,1 + 61 km opti + fall off

Way of increasing Damage: Afterburner on and keep distance beneath 30km = >909,0 Gun DPS

Vargur:

1082 DPS (with sentries 1176 DPS)
    312 m/s
    4,1 + 69 km opti + fall off (5,4 +74 within Bastion)

Way of increasing Damage: Jump into fleet, switch on bastion fight distance 40-50 km (average 45) = 792,5 Gun DPS

And thats without drones.
    Anize Oramara
    WarpTooZero
    #6055 - 2013-10-17 08:23:13 UTC
    Brib Vogt wrote:
    [Vargur, Tech2]
    Tracking Enhancer II

X-Large Shield Booster II
    100MN Afterburner II

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot] <-- Bastion

Large Projectile Burst Aerator II
    Large Projectile Ambit Extension I

Warrior II x5
    Bouncer II x2

---

[Machariel, New Setup 1 copy 1]
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II

Gist C-Type X-Large Shield Booster
    100MN Afterburner II
    Pith A-Type Explosive Deflection Field
    Pith C-Type Kinetic Deflection Field

Large Remote Capacitor Transmitter II

Large Projectile Burst Aerator I
    Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
    Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Bouncer II x4
    Warrior II x5

While the Vargur becomes a lot more unattractive to gankers it stays weaker in pure DPS output and through bastion it ends up in less applied damage.

old summary of mine:

Quote:
    Macha:

1154 DPS (with sentries 1343 DPS)
    540 m/s
    4,1 + 61 km opti + fall off

Way of increasing Damage: Afterburner on and keep distance beneath 30km = >909,0 Gun DPS

Vargur:

1082 DPS (with sentries 1176 DPS)
    312 m/s
    4,1 + 69 km opti + fall off (5,4 +74 within Bastion)

Way of increasing Damage: Jump into fleet, switch on bastion fight distance 40-50 km (average 45) = 792,5 Gun DPS

And thats without drones.

that vargur is overtanked and you completely missed the point of the mjd! drop the 2nd invul, get a gist large b-type and replace mwd with mjd. fit sebo/3rd TC to taste and proceed to kick some faces in.

baltec1
    Bat Country
    Pandemic Horde
    #6056 - 2013-10-17 08:26:33 UTC
    Its not ment to out damage the pirate shipBlink
    Anize Oramara
    WarpTooZero
    #6057 - 2013-10-17 08:30:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Anize Oramara
    baltec1 wrote:
    Its not ment to out damage the pirate shipBlink

this is very true. what a lot of eft warriors dont get, and is evident from the fits they post, is that we fly the marauder because it can loot and salvage AT THE SAME TIME!

doing 10% less damage is acceptable if we make double the isk in the same amount of time.

Vaju Enki
    Secular Wisdom
    #6058 - 2013-10-17 08:32:23 UTC
    Cannibal Kane wrote:
    Well...

I guess that stops me using my Kronos for PVP.

I liked it for the simple fact that it was a MEGA on Steroids with utility HighSlots and and the ability to quickly kill small targets thanks to the extre WEB Bones.

Same DPS
    More Buffer
    3 Nuets
    Web Bonus

I don't PVE but the WEB Loss in PVP makes the ship not worth it to PVP in.

Might as well replace it with the Cheaper MEGA Navy which has 1 nuet and fit two webs on it to take care of those smaller pesky targets. However not sure the slot layout will allow that to work so well, I still want that cap booster for incase. If I wanted RAW DPS I will undock my Vindi. But I do like the Utility High for Nuets which the Vindi does not have.

Sometimes I wonder if CPP just thinks of **** to justify their salaries or if they wake in morning... How can we screw with things today to **** people off.

I have never used a MJD and never will. I just don't see the need for it for it other than for the PVE folks. Jumping around in PVP.. please.. catch a wake up CCP.

CCP never should have taken the web bonus approach on Marauders in the first place. Don't like the ship, sell it.

The Tears Must Flow

Jade Knight07
    #6059 - 2013-10-17 08:34:06 UTC
    Anize Oramara wrote:
    Jade Knight07 wrote:
    baltec1 wrote:
    Jade Knight07 wrote:

Blasters.

my testing has shown that a single omni tank mod and the LAR is all you will need, have fun with your two free lows. you can replace the webber with a tracking mod, a cap recharger with a sebo because of how strong your reps are and replace the mwd with a mjd. you might even be able to replace the second cap booster with a TC too. you can switch from tracking scripts to range as needed and even use AM ammo.

adapt and you will do missions so much faster than before. also remember, no more npc ewar, ever!

Thanks for the pointers, if they go thru with their plan I'll have to adapt or something. I am just going to be very disappointed. at this point the Kronos has been my single largest SP and isk investment. It is my favorite ship I am still maxing skills related to it and its fit. Some of which I might not need after the change. I am also working towards cap ships and hope when I have the skills they don't ruin them as well. Ironically when I finally got the skills for a dreadnaught, the Moros, they removed the drones which I was looking forward to taking advantage of. At least there I understood and agreed with the changes.

That is it for me tonight thanks everyone for the good conversations. o/
    marVLs
    #6060 - 2013-10-17 08:38:36 UTC
    Lina Theist wrote:

Perhaps the scorch issue lies not with the modules but with the ammo?

Well nope. Scorch is the only thing that keeps peoples from abandoning amarr. Don't forget that for good DPS and range You pay with cap consumption, tracking and damage type compared to other races.

Someone here suggest to buff falloff ranges in bastion, that's a good idea.