These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Funky Lazers
Funk Freakers
#4161 - 2013-09-26 16:25:41 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Paladin - loses 12.5% stasis web, gains 37.5% optimal range
Golem - gains 37.5% stasis web
Kronos - loses 12.5% stasis web, gains 50% falloff
Vargur - gains 37.5% stasis web

I'm really not seeing the downside here... Is there honestly any Marauder owners that wouldn't give up 12.5% stasis web for a +37.5% optimal or +50% falloff?

The downside is Pirate BS' are still better even with those Marauder buffs.
Mach won't loose its "mission king" status because of those changes.
Also Marauders loose drone bay which is very bad.

So no, this is a big downside.

Price wise Marauders are almost the same as Rat BS, but the performance of the last ones are way higher.
Saying that Rat BS are better at PvE AND PvP, while Marauders are only good at PvE.
The conclusion is Marauders should be better at PvE because they specialize in it and have the same price.

Whatever.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4162 - 2013-09-26 16:29:35 UTC
The Djego wrote:
The downside is a massive speed and drone bay nerf, reducing the dps and ignoring well know issues of the particular hulls(damage shortage of the Kronos, Vargur to similar to the Mach, Golem more usefull with CMs instead with Torps etc.).

As for the earlier question about the web, ofc it collides with the painter bonus, since every slot you use on a web you can't use for a painter. Ofc the web got the bigger benefit(after like 15s slowing stuff down) but the application is not instant like with painters and you will most of the time not get till web range(because the target is dead anyway or you get kitted in pvp, because you sit in brick, even for BS standards). The idea is to only add the explosion velocity bonus to torpedo's(because they are kind of bad since the last CM update) and make the Golem again more viable with trops.

I wouldn't say massive speed nerf, since the improved MJD offsets that to some extent. Yes, in the sense the stasis web takes up a mid slot - but I'd hardly call that a conflict; that's a choice. If I was running torpedoes, I'd probably run 2x webs and 2x rigors instead. As I previously indicated, yes - an explosion velocity would be more useful because a) it's passive, b) doesn't require a slot and c) applies to cruise missiles and torpedoes alike (but then cruise missiles will dominate).

A simple solution would be to give Bastion a +25% rate of fire for short-range weapons only: pulse lasers, blasters, torpedoes and autocannons.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Chloe Cartier
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4163 - 2013-09-26 16:29:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Chloe Cartier
Bastion mode gives a damage range increase (Optimal/falloff) but yet there is also a web bonus that can only be applied within 14km?... doesn't make sense to have those together no?

I d like to see some damage bonus added (rof, direct, applied damage...)when Bastion'd, and some MWD bonus over some MJD one as the speeds mentioned are bringing tears to my eyes.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4164 - 2013-09-26 16:36:38 UTC
Funky Lazers wrote:
Mach won't loose its "mission king" status because of those changes.
Also Marauders loose drone bay which is very bad.

So no, this is a big downside.

Price wise Marauders are almost the same as Rat BS, but the performance of the last ones are way higher.
Saying that Rat BS are better at PvE AND PvP, while Marauders are only good at PvE.
The conclusion is Marauders should be better at PvE because they specialize in it and have the same price.

I'll gladly take one of the new Marauders over any of the Pirate battleships. For missile boats, there's nothing the Pirates offer that even remotely comes close to the Navy Raven - let alone a Golem. The Nightmare is nice, but the Paladin is a superior laser setup. As for the Machariel, it's lack of mids makes it a lousy shield or armor tank, so if it ever gets webbed it's dead, dead, dead. You're also comparing proposed Marauders with pre-balanced Pirate battleships; for all we know they're going to get hit with the nerf bat as well. Did I mention T2 resists? Marauders didn't lose the drone bay - it just got reduced.

The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#4165 - 2013-09-26 16:38:50 UTC  |  Edited by: The Djego
Edora Madullier wrote:

Missions in minmatar space with a laser-boat = not clever.
MJD = Easy snipe with tachyons, no need for web nor tracking, optimal bonus = handy in that case.

Can't see the point in gimping your cap with a MWD, when you can go to any Acceleration gate with two well done jumps of MJD.

Proper gank fitted laser ships are actually not to bad in minmatar space. My Paladin is nearly as fast as my Vargur, because most lower end NPCs have hardly any serious resistances(meaning the volley count is very similar) and conflagration deals very good damage against angels, because it got a lot of thermal damage.

Option A: MWDing in range, burn everything with max dps, loot BS on the fly.
Option B: MJD out of range, use low damage ammo, being unable to loot BS on the fly.

Guess what people that did spend 50+ days on marauder 5 and use them on a daily basis do with them?

Also it is fairly unlikely that you hit the gate perfectly and you will in most cases spend more time to slow boat to it after landing 5-8km off the gate, than somebody that just mwd's 10-15 km to it(at least if they don't make them all bricks).

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
I wouldn't say massive speed nerf, since the improved MJD offsets that to some extent.

It is a quite big one if you look at the speed with mwd. The MJD isn't a improvement in my eyes since I hardly think that it is worth the slot outside of a few pve scenarios like plexing.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Yes, in the sense the stasis web takes up a mid slot - but I'd hardly call that a conflict; that's a choice. If I was running torpedoes, I'd probably run 2x webs and 2x rigors instead. As I previously indicated, yes - an explosion velocity would be more useful because a) it's passive, b) doesn't require a slot and c) applies to cruise missiles and torpedoes alike (but then cruise missiles will dominate)..

A web needs like 15s to slow down a target far enough that it would be more useful than a painter, at this point even BS are already down, meaning it will have next to no effect on volley count compared to a normal painter fitting(where the effect is applied instantly) and it got a lot less range(leave alone the very low speed of the golem with the current changes). Against BCs and Cruisers that normally die in one volley webs would be pointless and to do good damage against frigs you also need painters.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
A simple solution would be to give Bastion a +25% rate of fire for short-range weapons only: pulse lasers, blasters, torpedoes and autocannons.

Damage bonuses are a bit nono for the bastion mod in my books and the problem with torpedo's isn't really raw dps, it is the damage application on the target.

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4166 - 2013-09-26 16:44:04 UTC
Chloe Cartier wrote:
Bastion mode gives a damage range increase (Optimal/falloff) but yet there is also a web bonus that can only be applied within 14km?... doesn't make sense to have those together no?

I d like to see some damage bonus added (rof, direct, applied damage...)when Bastion'd, and some MWD bonus over some MJD one as the speeds mentioned are bringing tears to my eyes.

And missile velocity. Yes, while it does extend the range - one could also put forward the argument that it applies damage more effectively, ie: higher damage for guns using range-reducing ammo, faster missiles that reach their targets quicker. Yes, a ROF bonus for short-range weapons (only) would be an interesting perk for Bastion. I'm fine with the MJD - it's perfect for missions.

Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#4167 - 2013-09-26 17:21:11 UTC
I'm sorry, but what the hell is this?
1) "+ stasis webifier" and "- tanking" when not in the Bastion mode? Why would you need webs on a Torp Golem? Target painters are the way to go...
2) align time 19s: Really? I thought this was a mission boat, you know, which supposed to go on a mission, kill all, go second mission, kill all etc. Not go on a mission kill all, then spend god knows how much time getting back to the station completing a mission and then going for a second one.
3) drone bay on a Torp Golem 25m? Are there any changes to drone mechanics where the NPC do not target drones at all that I don't know about? There are plenty of elite frigates in some missions (Enemies Abound is a shining example) where you will lose drones sometimes. And dealing with scramming frigates in a torp boat without drones is kinda suicide.

All in all:
+
range you get during Bastion is great
tank you get is also great, but Marauders had already plenty of tank
-
webs with no range bonus on a ship that is supposed to jump around the battlefield is kinda crap
align time is gonna make me less money then right now
drone bay reduction can possibly mean a death in some situations

When will we get a missile ship that is better then Navy Raven (i mean a true missile ship, not the Rattlesnake drone one)?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4168 - 2013-09-26 17:28:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Archa4 Badasaz wrote:
1) "+ stasis webifier" and "- tanking" when not in the Bastion mode? Why would you need webs on a Torp Golem? Target painters are the way to go...

Umm... to increase damage? Maybe to nail those pesky frigates?

Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4169 - 2013-09-26 17:36:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Xequecal
Funky Lazers wrote:

.....at level four missions. They're the only BS-sized ships that can solo 10/10 plexes, C3+ WH sites, and level five missions.

I think the drone bay decrease is actually pretty necessary, if you gave them 125 m3 people would use bastion to run absurd gimmick fits for absolute max DPS, like 2-slot shield tanking their Paladin and running anoms with 4 heat sinks and 3 drone damage amps in the lows.
Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#4170 - 2013-09-26 18:19:50 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Archa4 Badasaz wrote:

Umm... to increase damage? Maybe to nail those pesky frigates?

Painter => instant signature increase => every applied volley is increased at the moment the torps hit the target
Web => gradual speed decrease => first applied volley has almost no effect and only second gets some damage increase

And when you are scrammed by multiple frigs you cannot wait for frig to be slowed down, you need to kill it here and now.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4171 - 2013-09-26 18:32:09 UTC
Archa4 Badasaz wrote:
Painter => instant signature increase => every applied volley is increased at the moment the torps hit the target
Web => gradual speed decrease => first applied volley has almost no effect and only second gets some damage increase
And when you are scrammed by multiple frigs you cannot wait for frig to be slowed down, you need to kill it here and now.

You take your 2x TPs, I'll take a TP and stasis web. We'll see which frigate dies first... Even if you nail a ship under it's signature radius, it still has a huge potential to offset damage through velocity. It should also be pointed out that even webs don't guarantee hits with long-range guns, but this is not true for missiles (they will always hit and do at least some damage).

chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#4172 - 2013-09-26 18:34:27 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

As for the Machariel, it's lack of mids makes it a lousy shield or armor tank, so if it ever gets webbed it's dead, dead, dead.

... Yeah, it's considered one of the best mission ships because it dies when webbed... Not because its faster, has more dps, and a better drone bay than the vargur.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4173 - 2013-09-26 18:46:20 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:
... Yeah, it's considered one of the best mission ships because it dies when webbed... Not because its faster, has more dps, and a better drone bay than the vargur.

I never said it was a lousy mission ship, I just said it's extremely vulnerable if it ever slows down. I've used Machs, and they're a lot of fun. By the same token, if you remove a Rattlesnake's drones from the equation - it has almost no offensive power whatsoever. I guess what I'm saying is that I like the current iteration of Marauders (it's unique if anything).

With respect to speed, the Nightmare is 94m/s, Bhallgorn is 101m/s and Vindicator is 126m/s; so 85 m/s for the Paladin and Golem, 92 m/s for the Kronos and 100 m/s for the Vargur isn't really that out-of-line. Everyone else fails to mention the increased targeting range, sensor strength and reduced signature radius.

Now if the Golem only came in carbon fiber black...

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4174 - 2013-09-26 19:01:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Risalo
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Archa4 Badasaz wrote:

You take your 2x TPs, I'll take a TP and stasis web. We'll see which frigate dies first... Even if you nail a ship under it's signature radius, it still has a huge potential to offset damage through velocity. It should also be pointed out that even webs don't guarantee hits with long-range guns, but this is not true for missiles (they will always hit and do at least some damage).

You take that web and TP
I'll take the dual TPs and kill the frig LONG before it gets into web range.
Hell, I'll even kill all his little frig buddies and possibly even cruiser buddies before you can even web him down.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4175 - 2013-09-26 19:09:33 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
You take that web and TP
Hell, I'll even kill all his little frig buddies and possibly even cruiser buddies before you can even web him down.

While you're slowboating it, I'll just MJD in, Bastion and paste the suckers. :D
The reason no one uses stasis webs on Golems is because it's never had any bonuses and you've really needed two to be halfway effective. With any new innovation alternate strategies are sure to develop.

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4176 - 2013-09-26 19:13:50 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:
You take that web and TP

While you're slowboating it, I'll just MJD in, Bastion and paste the suckers. :D
The reason no one uses stasis webs on Golems is because it's never had any bonuses and you've really needed two to be halfway effective. With any new innovation alternate strategies are sure to develop.

But I would have already bastioned, locked and have vollies in the air, on possibly two frigs.
The way I do it, I break my launchers into two groups, one TP for frig.
I typically 1 volley frigs 2 at a time.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4177 - 2013-09-26 19:15:13 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
But I would have already bastioned, locked and have vollies in the air, on possibly two frigs.

You're talking cruise missiles - not torpedoes, right?

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4178 - 2013-09-26 19:18:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Risalo
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:

You're talking cruise missiles - not torpedoes, right?

Correct.

With the missile changes last year, torps are kinda outdated in pve.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4179 - 2013-09-26 19:26:44 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
Correct.

See, I was referring to torpedoes. Cruise missiles already have a higher explosion velocity and smaller explosion radius so there's minimal benefit with a stasis web. I think cruise missiles are going to get hit hard with the nerf bat, though.

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4180 - 2013-09-26 19:40:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Risalo
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:
Correct.

See, I was referring to torpedoes. Cruise missiles already have a higher explosion velocity and smaller explosion radius so there's minimal benefit with a stasis web. I think cruise missiles are going to get hit hard with the nerf bat, though.

Naa, probably not.. They just barely got the buff bat.
Now, the only thing I can see them doing is swapping precision and fury ranges, so that they're more like torps, but I dunno about that.

Point being though, if you're using torps on a golem right now, you're missing out.
Torps actually make more sense with bastion, as you'll be able to get like 82km with javelin and t2 range rigs, but you can put out pretty decent dps with a cruise golem now adays.

I have a torp and cruise fit saved on eft. The torp fit isn't even 100 dps more.
This is because I can fit a damge rig on a cruise golem and still have damn good range.
Maybe bastion will fix this so that torps don't require range rigs to hit max orbit targets..
Would be nice to see a torp golem useful again without prop mods