These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#3941 - 2013-09-21 18:13:00 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

NiteNinja
Doomheim
#3942 - 2013-09-21 18:36:54 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3556070#post3556070 - My Orignal Suggestions

And this hasn't improved on it. Why give the Golem a dual EWAR bonus, which only benefits torpedoes, on an idea that favors cruise missiles? Am I out of the loop that maybe torpedoes will get a slight bump in missile velocity or something?

Web bonuses on ships designed to hop by micro jump drive isn't a good idea either because webs only have a 10km range, I can see why it was pulled off the other two Marauders (that I can't use anyway.)

The current track will make the Golem completely obsolete, the Navy Raven will be superior in it by far in every way (DPS, navigation, and overall usefulness), and its going to be a shame, since I put allot of time and effort into getting Marauders V early.

As I was talking with friends, allot of the Marauders are good as they are, just need some minor tweaking to put them ahead of the T1/Faction Variant, but since thats completely blown out of the water by Bastion, I still think my original ideas as linked in the thread above is all that'll need to be done to make the Golem even the slightest complacent.

Simple Rule of EVE: Don't put long range guns on a ship designed for short range combat, and don't use short range electronic warfare on a ship designed for long range combat. This violates both.

Bastion Aside, all the Golem needs is one of the following...

- Lai Dai Resists.
- 5% per level Rate of Fire for Marauders skill.

[or]

- Decreased mass and increased agility
- Bonus to MWD Signature radius (like the Assault ships)

Just small things that'll offset them from the T1 variants. We don't want to balance all the battleships together, there is a reason why you need Battleship V and Advanced Weapon Upgrades V and half a year of strict training for the ship itself, is because the ship needs to be better than the others you can fetch for Battleship 1.

I know my whining comes late as they're going to announce the winter update already, but just like the whole Aurum system, we're starting to drift away from the idea that classes of ships need to be different, a frigate shouldn't kill a decently fitted battleship, thats not balancing.
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#3943 - 2013-09-21 19:14:34 UTC  |  Edited by: chaosgrimm
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Seriously I don't get why everyone is so adverse to Damage Application compared to raw DPS. Go into a mission in any Battleship and you'll see that you can rather easily 1-shot Frigates provided you can get clean hits on them. This is even true with Railguns which have some of the lowest alpha of any large turret, under-cut only by Projectiles.

Most ppl using marauders for missions don't need the application. Frigs are usually popped in a volley or two anyway. The frigs you can't get are dealt with by drones b4 everything else is dead or you are ready for the gate.

More or less, the holdups for mission runners are usually travel time and general kill times where you already have high application, which is why I believe the many suggestions involve speed and damage increases. Given the train time, ppl who have them want significant pve advantages over their pirate counterparts. EW immunity is nice for a few select missions, but tanking changes and speed nerfs are meh.
Funky Lazers
Funk Freakers
#3944 - 2013-09-21 19:35:52 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Seriously I don't get why everyone is so adverse to Damage Application compared to raw DPS. Go into a mission in any Battleship and you'll see that you can rather easily 1-shot Frigates provided you can get clean hits on them. This is even true with Railguns which have some of the lowest alpha of any large turret, under-cut only by Projectiles.

Most ppl using marauders for missions don't need the application. Frigs are usually popped in a volley or two anyway. The frigs you can't get are dealt with by drones b4 everything else is dead or you are ready for the gate.

More or less, the holdups for mission runners are usually travel time and general kill times where you already have high application, which is why I believe the many suggestions involve speed and damage increases. Given the train time, ppl who have them want significant pve advantages over their pirate counterparts. EW immunity is nice for a few select missions, but tanking changes and speed nerfs are meh.

Moreover I want my Paladin be viable against Guristas/Angels/Serpentis/EOM, not just BR/Sansha.

Also I really have no idea where to use MJD. I have MWD on my Mach/Vargur/Kronos/Vindi - it takes a few secs to travel a few dozen kms.
You don't need MJD on Vargur/Kronos for sure.
You don't need MJD on Paladin because you don't need Paladin itself.
So the Golem is the only ship that might use MJD, but you need 3+painters on it so meds will be filled with some other stuff.

Same goes for Web bonus - it's useless on any ship, including Golem.

It's kinda sad Marauders also get drone bay nerf.

All in all it feels like Marauders are going to be much worse after the change/patch.

Whatever.

Vrykolakasis
Sparrowhawks Corp
#3945 - 2013-09-21 19:54:25 UTC
I'd like to weigh back in. At this point:

- I love the general balance changes to PG, CPU, fitting, scan res, etc.

- I don't like the bastion module as-is, and will likely never/rarely use it. Basically, no matter the bonuses, I don't want to be stuck immobile and/or unable to warp in almost any situation.

- The MJD bonus does not solve the immobility problem. As the MJD is limited to 100km, it is not useful for regular play, only for very specific tactics. A MWD bonus of some sort would work much better to counter the bastion module.

- I actually like the resistance bonus idea now, it provides better omni-tank on the same build (no bastion) than the current Marauders with the repair bonus. However, it provides worse specific tank for two damage types per ship. The Paladin especially feels this very heavily. Different numbers here would make up for the lack of repair bonus, and allow the ships to perform in PvP and PvE at the level that they should.

The most important thing to me:

-Marauders damage output is not balanced, especially for PvE - as is or in the proposed chagnes. T1 battleships can get more raw dps for the same or less ISK investment and there is only a certain amount of projection that matters. To prove this, I'd like to demonstrate with a pair of fits:

I've decided to use a Dominix and a Kronos for comparison here since the Kronos is very good at projecting damage, gets great dps, and is very effective at killing frigates at close range due to it's web bonus. I'm also basing these ideas fits off of running L4 missions, although the same basic ideas apply to incursions, wormholes, and ratting in null. Note that I am using the Kronos as-is and not the "new" version, as it would be unfair, since the new version gets a reduced web bonus, greatly reduced drone dps, lower em/thermal tank (although I'm using a serpentis damage profile for the following numbers since that seems the most fair), lower speed for mission mobility, etc.

The Dominix is T2-fit with t1 rigs and requires no implants to fit or to get these numbers with. It is also not entirely min-maxed, there are surely slight tweaks that would change this ship to perform better in L4 missions:

5x 425mm Railgun II (Fed Navy Antimatter)
Drone Link Augmentor II

2x EM Ward Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Booster II

2x Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
4x Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control II

2x Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Ancillary Current Router I

5x Garde II
5x Warden II
5x Hammerhead II
5x Hobgoblin II
5x Warrior II
5x Hornet EC-300

This ship does 338.34 dps with railguns and 800.20 with drones, for a total of 1138.53 dps. A number of other options are available with the build, such as removing the drone link augmentor for an additional gun but reduced drone control range, which is probably fine for Serpentis, and even replacing the railguns with blasters - again fine for Serpentis, but this is a more balanced build. The tank is 537.12 against Serpentis for 2 minutes and 50 seconds, which is very comfortable at ~1140 dps. The railguns have an optimal of 36km with a falloff of 30km, which is effective for most engagement ranges but can be adjusted by switching ammo if other ranges are necessary. Gardes get an optimal range of 41.25km with a falloff of 12km, and Wardens push 600dps out to 103.125km (optimal) plus an additional 30000m falloff, both of which are outside of this ships drone control range and targeting range. The guns track at 0.0126 radii/sec and the gardes at 0.0495 radii/sec, and any frigates that a pilot is unable to snipe can be destroyed by light drones. This Dominix costs about 250 million isk.

Now for the Kronos. This Kronos is heavily faction fit and numbers will be reported without implants.

4x 425mm Railgun II (Fed Navy Antimatter)

2x Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer (Tracking)
Shadow Serpentis Sensor Booster (Scan Res)
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier

4x Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Core X-Type Large Armor Repairer
Centus X-Type Armor Kinetic Hardener
Centus X-Type Armor Thermic Hardener

Large Hybrid Burst Aerator II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

5x Hobgoblin II
5x Warrior II
3x Garde II

The Kronos does a maximum of 914 dps with railguns and 180 with Gardes, for a total of 1094 dps. Note that with the proposed Kronos changes, the Kronos will be unable to fit this partial flight of gardes at all, and the most dps it will be able to push is with Hammerheads (and no room for light drones) at 1072.40. The guns have the same optimal and falloff as the Dominix, but now they track at 0.0333 radii/sec - this time, however, scripts can be modified to increase the optimal at the expense of tracking instead of switching ammunition types, which is really nice past ~50 km. The Gardes track at 0.036 radii/sec (drone link augmentors can be added to the build to adjust drone control range but the Gardes won't be able to hit that far). The ship tanks Serpentis at a rating of 812.80 dps for 5 minutes and 48 seconds, which is pretty well over-tanked.

This Kronos costs around 3.5 billion ISK. It does not meet the Dominix in raw DPS and, while it does project damage and track better, especially past 50km, very few rats hang out outside of 50km. The problems are more obvious with a T2-fit Kronos. While this Kronos can use light drones to kill frigates, the proposed version will only be able to web and hit with medium drones + guns (still effective, but it's better for mission completion time to let your drones kill frigates while you kill the big stuff).

The Kronos is probably better, as is, marginally. Consider it fit with t2 mods and compared to a navy domi and things will become more obvious. Consider it with the proposed changes - some sort of damage increase, bastion or otherwise, is probably worth at least looking into.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3946 - 2013-09-21 19:55:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Funky Lazers wrote:
chaosgrimm wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Moreover I want my Paladin be viable against Guristas/Angels/Serpentis/EOM, not just BR/Sansha.

Also I really have no idea where to use MJD. I have MWD on my Mach/Vargur/Kronos/Vindi - it takes a few secs to travel a few dozen kms.
So the Golem is the only ship that might use MJD, but you need 3+painters on it so meds will be filled with some other stuff.

All in all it feels like Marauders are going to be much worse after the change/patch.

Yes, the current marauders look quite better than the crippled beast called iteration proposal 2. And that should light a warning; if the class is getting its own art set (bastion mode), then marauders should be something the players want to fly instead of cheaper, less skill-intensive and better T2 battleships. And I haven't seen anyone willing to fly one of those iteration 2 eyesores in the last 99 pages...

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Cassius Invictus
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3947 - 2013-09-21 20:12:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Cassius Invictus
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Lloyd Roses wrote:
So you're receiving an extra high, basically identical rep-output (effective rep due to higher baseresists is approx. 40% superior, which is a tiny bit more compared to the old 37.5% bonus), those resists also matter for remote tanking, so something totally new here, and lastly the grid is all but irrelevant. They will be plain better at PvE as they were before, and now - thanks to the massive PG boost - even be able to be fitted for pvp.
If you see a marauder nerf here, then the phantasm is the best ship in eve.

I'd still like to see the rep-bonus kept on the hull for people who prefer to mission without Bastion due to previously enumerated concerns about damage distribution in missions and the resist bonuses on the Vargur and Paladin, but overall you are correct that the ships are still receiving a buff compared to their current state on TQ.

They are receiving buff for PvP, but Paladin and Vargur get nerf for PvE. Since I already have a ton of different ships for PvP I strongly support the PvE faction (though I do PvE like 1/10 of my EVE time Lol). Besides T2 resists for PvP are good for buffer tank, but since you cant be remotly repped... of course no one forces me to use bastion, yep. Also no one forces me to use siege on my revelation... who needs like 840% dps incerase...
Shivanthar
#3948 - 2013-09-21 21:26:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Shivanthar
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Shivanthar wrote:
Trying to nullify my point won't affect anyone in a good way. You clearly don't see my point in this.

Want a raider ship that can become stationary 100km away? Go ahead with dominix and sentry drones already. Same barn, different color.

Want to snipe in a stationary Marauder? How unique it is... *Claps* There is a maelstrom for that, put 8x1400, mjd away, done.

What I simply proposed is, when changed, it is much unique for a marauder to be able to go faster. There is no BS for this, as far as I know. A group of Marauders with this bonus will become *much* unique than any other thing.
People really want stationary sniper as a T2 unique role? *Sigh*

Well, I've been using marauders for missioning. I also have Typhoon fleet issue where I can put some sentries, mjd away and do my mission. What will be the unique difference between these two? Let me tell you, since my TFI is AT, I can easly fit it with a mwd or AB, which lets me salvage faster than a marauder (supported with salvage drones).

Edit: Not only this idea supports pvp, it will also make pve very enjoying.

Anyone can see my point? Someone?

Actually the Black Ops Battleships and the two most popular Pirate Battleships are quite fast. Black-Ops have bonuses to agility and speed already and the Macheriel and Vindicator are two of the fastest Battleships in the game and the Bhaalgorn, for an Amarr armor tanked ship, is no slouch either. It seems more likely that the Black-Ops will be faster and more maneuverable T2 Battleships and that the Pirate Battleships will end up as some sort of Attack/Combat Battleship hybrid with good all around stats.

Black Ops ships are not designed to fight in front line. And their dps application is nowhere near any marauder in its current state. Moreover their speed bonus is only unique amongst other cloaked ships. From pve perspective, you generally warp onto a beacon, which de-cloaks you. Since you'll get targeted in most missions, re-cloaking and gaining speed bonus would be a pain. This statement alone will nullify its use of pve and its speed advantage...
Two of the pirate battleships are "faster" than any other battleship, but by no means they haven't got any *bonus* to the speed.
By proposing bonus speed, I mean a real bonus to a mwd, ab or raw speed, where you see a transformed marauder bs leaving others in the dust. There are no other ships in this role (including all proposed bonuses from bastion mode).

Edit: I still have been doing missions with my Vargur today. The most common problem is to get that damn wreck @ 61km. If you know what I mean (I hear this same problem from any other marauder pilot out there repeatedly)... In order to get a good tank&dps application together, I needed to fit AB instead of Mwd. This toy seriously needs bonus to its tractor beam range. Other than that, I don't see anything else to be adressed, if not counting missing TP bonus.

I know some marauder pilots want to bring their havoc into pvp battlefield. In that case, ccp please, don't brake my tank, don't break my dps... Do what you want, I give up with my meaningless proposals for you :P, just please this is the only damn toy I'm playing this game with a great pleasure and enjoyment. *Tears*

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#3949 - 2013-09-21 22:12:43 UTC  |  Edited by: chaosgrimm
@shivanthar

I looked at ur suggestion awhile back about the bastion module doing a large speed increase at the expense of dmg application. At first I wasn't really keen on the idea, but now I'm thinking it would be pretty sweet. Esp on missions like worlds collide, massive attack, room V on AE, dread pirate scarlet, recon 3 (I use a stabber but it would be cool in the vargur). All of which would be better than mjd.

+ I think it would look cool transforming, make some beefy thruster stuff, the vargur's Mohawk and beardhawk retracting, etc
Motoi Yamato
Riiizses Riiizs
#3950 - 2013-09-22 00:28:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Motoi Yamato
how will eb bonus help me if im using micro jump drive?

i use arti... im doing something wrong?

give a range bonus instead +7,5%/ lvl r something

EDIT: ive read some1 wrote to put a new tier 2 marauder... that would be nice, it would lower the price for the tier 1 and tier 2 could be used in lowsec
Jordanna Bauer
Taylor Swift Fanclub
#3951 - 2013-09-22 03:10:31 UTC
MJD + long range bonuses + short range web bonuses = stupid design.
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#3952 - 2013-09-22 03:17:08 UTC
Jordanna Bauer wrote:

Don't forget about about midrange tractors xD
NexusWatcher
Perkone
Caldari State
#3953 - 2013-09-22 04:53:16 UTC  |  Edited by: NexusWatcher
chaosgrimm wrote:
Jordanna Bauer wrote:

Don't forget about about midrange tractors xD

IMO, the MJD should only be applied to the Marauders out of the current ideas applied. Get in, get out. The mixed range bonuses from tractors, bastion, web and MJD are all over the board. Perhaps change the web bonus to range as opposed to speed to at least make it a little more viable if you're using short range weapons w/ bastion w/ web. At that range, the tracking should be decent enough to hit pretty damn well, again, just my opinion.

I am not bashing the Bastion as I LOVE the idea, but the bonuses that are being applied to it are not conducive to what the Maruader ships actually do: they are a care bear ship for moderately fast killing and salvaging all in one package.

On the same note though, I have a feeling that you all at CCP were going for the "Oh, I'm care bear, but now I'm in bastion mode, I'm now an uber care bear with sharp teeth" approach (not in those words or course so please don't hate me.)

I recommend a T2 variant of the Tier3 BS should get the Bastion; we are still missing this T2 variant (apart front the Myrmidon/Drake you guys still won't change). Or perhaps apply the bastion module for all BS class ships only as they will then become more used PvP wise; more tank, more range. I would **** bricks if I saw a fleet of them as they would be relatively inexpensive POS bashers as opposed to the Dreads.

Just my 2 cents. I've been watching this thread awhile and I hear to many people complain about the lack of the web on the initial change, and then when it get's put back in, it's "That makes no sense with all the range variables". Make up your damn minds people.

*please forgive any typos as I am half coherent and in the middle of an alcoholic adult drink*
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3954 - 2013-09-22 05:15:23 UTC
Funky Lazers wrote:

I'm not sure where this hate comes from. Lasers are equally viable on Serpentis rats than hybrids are on Sansha/Blood rats. Both have their guns shooting into the 2nd and 3rd highest resists of these rats.
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3955 - 2013-09-22 05:25:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Xequecal
Quote:
-Marauders damage output is not balanced, especially for PvE - as is or in the proposed chagnes. T1 battleships can get more raw dps for the same or less ISK investment and there is only a certain amount of projection that matters. To prove this, I'd like to demonstrate with a pair of fits:

Marauders in grind PvE where only DPS really matters are balanced by the fact that they can loot/salvage and run the PvE content simultaneously. Anoms are generally not salvaged because it's better ISK to just use that time running another anom. Being able to salvage it while you're running it while still putting out 90% of the DPS you were doing before is way better ISK/hour than you can make with anything else.

Marauders really shine in PvE where tank actually matters, especially wormholes. These ships as currently designed will kill capital escalations because it's way better ISK/hour just to run C3 anoms with them. You can make 250-300m/hour easily from C3s at current prices with a Paladin as currently spoiled. 40km range conflag that will kill 15-20m sleeper BS rats in under a minute, and then salvages and loots that rat while you're shooting the next one? You can't beat that.
Shivanthar
#3956 - 2013-09-22 07:32:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Shivanthar
chaosgrimm wrote:
@shivanthar

I looked at ur suggestion awhile back about the bastion module doing a large speed increase at the expense of dmg application. At first I wasn't really keen on the idea, but now I'm thinking it would be pretty sweet. Esp on missions like worlds collide, massive attack, room V on AE, dread pirate scarlet, recon 3 (I use a stabber but it would be cool in the vargur). All of which would be better than mjd.

+ I think it would look cool transforming, make some beefy thruster stuff, the vargur's Mohawk and beardhawk retracting, etc

Yes, this was my point :)

I did some calculations. Since it is early morning right now, my head hasn't booted up fully yet. But as far as mjd travel time/time spend ratio goes on @ lvl 5, creating a bonus to increase MWD bonus by %1000 and including some agility after transforming into "X mode", does what ccp's design wants to do on Marauders anyway.

MJD @ lvl 5, posts you to 100km in 6 seconds which is something ~14000 meters/sec

My test is on Vargur, so it goes with 163m/s raw speed and 1138 m/s with mwd @ lvl 5. In order to make that 1138 close to 14000, boosting mwd speed bonus by %1000 does the trick. But agility is also needed to fully get that potential.
Cut the mwd cycle time and cap usage in somewhere half, so it is now more controllable. During X mode, since vargur's weapon systems are working half, damage output is halved and internal tracking is not working well on that speed so tracking is also halved.

What this does?
pve: tons of cool stuff, very enjoying mission running.
pvp: during fleet battles, ppl need to think twice on getting their ally pilots' wrecks faster, look WHO is coming to maraud those wrecks. Including its cargo bay size, now, I call this as a unique role for marauders on the battlefield.

Becoming a perfect raider for wrecks, in-game description for marauders now become a reality: "... Nevertheless, these thick-skinned, hard-hitting monsters are the perfect ships to take on long trips behind enemy lines."

See?

Just brainstorming ;)

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3957 - 2013-09-22 07:49:29 UTC
Any update from CCP...?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3958 - 2013-09-22 08:19:56 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Any update from CCP...?

I mailed CCP Falcon, let's see if community management can clarify what are these guys up to.Question

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#3959 - 2013-09-22 11:24:16 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Shivanthar wrote:

Moreover their speed bonus is only unique amongst other cloaked ships.

Its a throwback from the original stealth bombers in the game.

Back when I first trained into them, they used cruise missiles (with the bomber skill effecting explosion velocity and whatnot), couldn't use covert ops cloaking devices, and the bomber skill itself also tied into a velocity bonus when cloaked. In the same way, it made it so they were faster when cloaked at skill level 5 than uncloaked.

Needless to say, you didn't see them very often. And not because they were cloaked.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3960 - 2013-09-22 12:25:21 UTC
"Can 1 ccp guy give a **** and read all this **** and give us a reply .."

Not with that attitude.

Be gratefull they are taking this long at LEAST....