These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3721 - 2013-09-15 05:09:14 UTC
Also

I wanted to add that the name may need to be changed as bastion would be specific to the Marauder.

One more thing to add.
The changes to TP cycle time is EPIC, however, since they're the least effective ewar out there, perhaps they should also have their optimal/falloff removed and instead be able to work at any range, as long as you can lock the target.
This sounds fair to me... Or at least give them a max range instead of optimal/falloff, and then give specific ships (like golem) a TP range bonus.
Mer88
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#3722 - 2013-09-15 05:45:38 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
Also

I wanted to add that the name may need to be changed as bastion would be specific to the Marauder.

One more thing to add.
The changes to TP cycle time is EPIC, however, since they're the least effective ewar out there, perhaps they should also have their optimal/falloff removed and instead be able to work at any range, as long as you can lock the target.
This sounds fair to me... Or at least give them a max range instead of optimal/falloff, and then give specific ships (like golem) a TP range bonus.

so whats the reason for no tractor /salvage? i hate using noctis i must have tractor/salvage on my marauder
Hena Muri
Perkone
Caldari State
#3723 - 2013-09-15 06:18:03 UTC
Kane Fenris wrote:
Hena Muri wrote:

Create two bastion modules. Change the Webifier bonus to 100% effect of bastion module bonuses per level.

1st module: Tracking, Web, and Tractor Beam bonuses. People are asking for a brawler style short range BS. Give it to them.
2nd module: Range/Falloff, resists, and MJD bonuses. This keeps the original sniper platform proposal.

thats the beast idea so far in this thread one has to argue about configuration of bonuses on the module but giveing marauders the choice of which bonuses to use through which bastion module fitted coul make the ships work in all ways desired.
AND it would allow you to introduce even a third module if you come up with a nice idea some time in the future!

plz CCP do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(not necessarily in the above sugested fashion even if you want to run a golem with torps painter and web bonus would be stupid)

an alternative would be to give bastion modules diffrent bonuses in on and of mode but i guess it would be to op.... and not that specialized and would fall into tier 3 "versatility"

Thank you. I was in a hurry when I was writing that so I just tossed a couple of similar sounding bonuses together to get the idea across. I considered the on off suggestion for webs but if you want webs it's because you're brawling, and that doesn't mean not standing still just that you're in the thick of it. So, turning off webs while bastioned isn't really better, I suspect you REALLY want your webs while bastioned. So, while it solved the issue between loosing webs and having useless webs at range, it felt hacky and ungraceful without addressing the underlying issue of ship purpose. I thought about it some more and it really comes down to people wanting different ships.

My only qualm with my suggestion is that it's very tech 3'ish in the versatility. However, with only two or three modules to balance it wouldn't be that bad as you're picking one of three different bastion modules which is essentially picking one of three different ships, you can even make them like riggings if you want to prevent in combat versatility without a significant cost.

But, does this actually accomplish what CCP is trying to do? I'm still confused on this front as the current bonuses indicate they want a versatile ship while the original suggestion indicated they wanted a really focused ship. This actually allows both in an odd way. You get a REALLY focused ship but you have versatility in choosing that role. It's not as wishy-washy as proper Tech 3 ships, while (once you've chosen your module) it's easily as focused as any Tech 2 ship should be.

As long as CCP can pick a set of bonuses for each module that make sense (I.E. Tractor beams need to go out to 100km+ if you want them on the long range sniper platform) then this stands to fix a lot of issues in this thread.

Also, as an aside. Don't stomp on divergent gameplay that comes up in the thread unless you're stomping that play style from current ships as well. I really don't see why a ship that is much more risky to collapse wormholes with needs to have jumping removed while in bastion. If you don't like wormhole cycling then get rid of mass stability from wormholes, or use cargo plus base ship mass (which would fix the armor tanking issues anyway). If you don't want a marauder to jump while in bastion as it spoils the point of the weapon timers and intent of bastion then say that. Saying that you don't want it to play the same wormhole games that already happen with an orca and a interdictor is odd. You're risking a hell of a lot more with the Marauder than the interdictor and after fitting likely the Orca as well. So why shouldn't the marauder pilot be able to play those games as well?

Just some thoughts, hopefully useful;
_WAter_
Cade Windstalker
#3724 - 2013-09-15 07:25:18 UTC
Shantetha wrote:
it's one module that does the job of 2, there is not marginal utility over it's massive utility over. Why did they limit the AAR to 1 module vs have 2 of those (irrespective of the fact that cap boosters are massively cheaper then nanopaste)

Except it doesn't do the job of two. It's a shield booster that runs off of cap-booster charges, but it doesn't give you any cap to run other modules like guns, MWD, other tank, Neuts, ect.

This is why I say that flatly limiting it to one might push it into the realm of uselessness in many PvP situations.

Of somewhat more concern to me is that it reps about 1.5 times what a T2 Shield Booster does which is where the sillyness with rep bonuses starts to be a problem.

Also the AAR was limited to one per ship because it's exactly as effective (with nano-paste) as a T1 XL Shield Booster but reps armor (which has slightly better resists overall).

Iome Ambraelle wrote:
As far as the web bonus is concerned, I'd like to see them fix the underlying problem instead of treating the symptom. The only reason you need webs at all on a BS size platform is to control smaller ships that have gotten "under your guns". In PVE this isn't really a problem because a single flight of light drones with even basic drone skills can bring them down quickly.

In PVP where those smaller ships don't have crap tanks and no hitpoints to speak of that flight of drones won't even scratch their tank. A BS is completely helpless against smaller craft. The exception being cruise missile ships with target painters and precision cruise missiles. 2-3 painters and precision will make them go pop quite nicely. Turret platforms are just out of luck in this situation.

I don't know how you fix this without doing a complete weapon system rework. A good start would be to forklift the existing tracking formula and start with something a little more realistic. Like smaller ships being harder to hit farther away instead of easier...

This is pretty much working as intended. The smaller ship has far fewer hitpoints, less range, and lower damage than the large ship, in exchange it's harder to apply damage to and has a chance against larger ships by avoiding damage.

Eve is not supposed to be a linear progression like with, say, World of Warcraft swords where you "level up" or in this case gain skill points and everything gets progressively bigger and better. Certainly Battleships are bug and useful and the mainstay of a lot of combat but is it really a problem for them to be out-done in solo situations by smaller more maneuverable craft? Personally I'd say no, that's fine. What's the problem with Cruisers and Frigates as more viable solo ships compared to big lumbering Battleships? Besides as we've already established you *can* fit to deal with these smaller ships it's just going to hurt you in other ways.

Joe Risalo wrote:
Also

One more thing to add.

TPs are, overall, affecting the same game interactions as webs but don't have a range control aspect. Both pieces of EWar make enemies easier to hit.

In exchange Target Painters work at far longer ranges than Webs do. Also overall the optimal/falloff setup is far better for Target Painters than a flat max range would be since it allows them to work at least a little at any range. Whether or not it would be balanced to see their ranges adjusted is another matter though, but one far outside the scope of a discussion on Marauders since it touches on a huge number of game mechanics and interactions.

I would suggest making another thread if you want to open a discussion on the matter.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3725 - 2013-09-15 09:06:25 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Shantetha wrote:
it's one module that does the job of 2, there is not marginal utility over it's massive utility over. Why did they limit the AAR to 1 module vs have 2 of those (irrespective of the fact that cap boosters are massively cheaper then nanopaste)

Except it doesn't do the job of two. It's a shield booster that runs off of cap-booster charges, but it doesn't give you any cap to run other modules like guns, MWD, other tank, Neuts, ect.

This is why I say that flatly limiting it to one might push it into the realm of uselessness in many PvP situations.

Of somewhat more concern to me is that it reps about 1.5 times what a T2 Shield Booster does which is where the sillyness with rep bonuses starts to be a problem.

...snip...

The ASB was designed to give a burst repair for shields on ships that skirmish. It was in response to complaints that shield-skirmishing ships general had very low ehp and were at an unfair disadvantage in the face of medium range weaponry. I am talking about cruisers and battlecruisers here. It was given a 1-minute reload time in a deliberate measure to ensure that it was not used as a 'tank', but only as a 'battlefield repair' module.

Fitting two, with a large supply of cap boosters circumvents the burst limitation. A limitation that was deliberately designed in - so that the game did not become overly imbalanced.

Some ships can dual-fit ASBs to great effect - obviating shield boosters. This is wrong.
Shield marauders and some shield battleships can dual-fit ASBs to incredible effect, completely undermining and overwhelming all other active tank modules regardless of cost.

i.e. broken.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Cade Windstalker
#3726 - 2013-09-15 11:52:27 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
The ASB was designed to give a burst repair for shields on ships that skirmish. It was in response to complaints that shield-skirmishing ships general had very low ehp and were at an unfair disadvantage in the face of medium range weaponry. I am talking about cruisers and battlecruisers here. It was given a 1-minute reload time in a deliberate measure to ensure that it was not used as a 'tank', but only as a 'battlefield repair' module.

Fitting two, with a large supply of cap boosters circumvents the burst limitation. A limitation that was deliberately designed in - so that the game did not become overly imbalanced.

Some ships can dual-fit ASBs to great effect - obviating shield boosters. This is wrong.
Shield marauders and some shield battleships can dual-fit ASBs to incredible effect, completely undermining and overwhelming all other active tank modules regardless of cost.

i.e. broken.

These are good points, though I'm not sure that dual ASB fits qualify as broken in most cases just because in most of the cases where it would be useful it's also taxing your tank hugely and you'd get more utility out of a single Shield Booster and a Cap Booster.

On the other hand there's how something was originally designed and then there's how its being used. For that matter how many are actually being used?

I want to get it out of the way here and say that regardless of the original niche intent CCP needs to decide what they're comfortable with the various sizes of ASB doing and where they want it to fall, it could be that while in theory these are problematic fits in reality they're highly impractical. Certainly the Vargur tanks that are giving us so much worry aren't exactly practical, they're just hard to kill, and as someone pointed out you end up spending quite a bit on Cap Boosters. If someone wants to troll people by sitting and tanking for half an hour before blowing up at the cost of 1.5 billion ISK in modules, hull, and cap boosters then let them have at it.

All of that said the Eve Markets Supply and Demand stats on the various sizes of Ancillary Shield Booster are rather interesting.

Essentially there are far more people selling these things than there are people attempting to buy them, and if you click over on the price tab the price has been dropping since they were released too but the slowness of the drop further suggests very little movement in the markets, with people gradually lowering prices to try to move product rather than the rapid approaching of base costs you get for most T1 modules.

Rather amusingly I could actually make at least the X-Large variant 'profitably' and I'm by no means an industrialist beyond the skills I got from the old character creation system. Profitably in quotes there because I rather doubt I'd be able to actually sell the things.

So, yeah, overall I would say we won't be looking at an infestation of Ancillary Shield Booster fit ships any time soon. It probably deserves a second look but I just don't see it being a major issue even with Marauders unless they seriously screw up the bonuses on these things.
Kane Fenris
NWP
#3727 - 2013-09-15 12:56:56 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Essentially there are far more people selling these things than there are people attempting to buy them, and if you click over on the price tab the price has been dropping since they were released too but the slowness of the drop further suggests very little movement in the markets, with people gradually lowering prices to try to move product rather than the rapid approaching of base costs you get for most T1 modules.

Rather amusingly I could actually make at least the X-Large variant 'profitably' and I'm by no means an industrialist beyond the skills I got from the old character creation system. Profitably in quotes there because I rather doubt I'd be able to actually sell the things.

So, yeah, overall I would say we won't be looking at an infestation of Ancillary Shield Booster fit ships any time soon. It probably deserves a second look but I just don't see it being a major issue even with Marauders unless they seriously screw up the bonuses on these things.

althogh its offtopic...
your obersvation is right but your conclusion may be wrong

your explanation snt the only (and probably not the simplest)
which would be there was an overproduction at release which hasnt corrected itself by now.
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3728 - 2013-09-15 13:42:35 UTC
Mer88 wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:
Also

One more thing to add.

so whats the reason for no tractor /salvage? i hate using noctis i must have tractor/salvage on my marauder

The hull itself would not have the tractor bonus, however, when fitted with a bastion it would.
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3729 - 2013-09-15 13:47:04 UTC
Snipping cause no one is reading

Standard Flight Mode

1) Balance the resistances on the Marauders
This would be unique to Marauders and would fit their role quite well.
Example
Golem - current
0% EM - 50% EX - 47.5% KI - 40% TH
Post Suggestion (roughly)
34 - 34 - 35 - 34
This would allow Marauders to build balanced tanks based off of these resists, giving them an ability that fits their description.

2) Balance the Hull around a brawler design.

I.E. - Their bonuses will be focused on damage application. Tracking/exp radius/velocity focused bonuses.
They would also be bonused towards MWD. At all skills lvl 5, with no mods, these ships would be able to track any battleship at any range, perfectly.

3) Weak sensors, but stronger than they are now.

4) Much better agility and mobility

5) Smaller mass

6) Shield/armor/structure are balanced somewhere in between current and proposed on this thread.

7) 6 highs instead of 7. If that slot needs to be given back to the ship, then it should be returned in either mid or low, depending on what CCP feels would be most balanced.

8) These ships would not be balanced towards utility, but would have that option due to spare slots.

9) No salvage/tractor bonus

10) Better scan res... possibly better than proposed in this thread

11) Would not have range bonuses at all.

This means the base hull of these ships would be designed specifically to be brawlers with balanced resists and propulsion bonuses.

These would be effective in PVE for those that like close range, high speed, and would be extremely effective in all forms of pvp.
They would also fit well in PVE fleets, even with long range weapons.

Bastion Module

IMPORTANT - My design idea behind the bastion module is that it would eventually be usable on many other ships, both being new ships, and existing ships and would have different effects on each ship.

1) The Bastion Module would not require a high slot, but instead, would have it's own slot much like subs on t3's

2) The bonuses for bastion mode would replace all the bonuses of the fitted ship

3) The bonuses for the bastion mode would be hull specific

4) Different sizes of bastion modules in the event they were ever designed for smaller ships I.E. small, medium, large

5) Bastion module would effect each possible ship differently

In the case of Marauders, they would be ANCHORED immediately. This also means that when you activate the module, you would be instantly anchored, reguardless of velocity. This would also keep CCP from having to worry about locking ships using this module because they wouldn't be able to warp, jump, use a WH, or move. So, they wouldn't have to increase the mass to avoid bumping, because this ship wouldn't move at all. (increasing mass means you could scan them down with no skill and one probe) PERHAPS TAKING DAMAGE IF AT TOO HIGH OF A VELOCITY

6) Bastion module being fitted reduces velocity and agility by X%

Now

Bastion Mode Marauder

As stated under Bastion module, all the bonuses change
Retains all base hull stats

1) Damage bonus either carries over, or drops/raises depending on what CCP would bonus the base hulls as.. Bastion, I would assume stays 100% damage.

2) When bastioned, gains a bonus towards tractor range. I would say comparable to that of the Noctis. (noctis would still stay on top due to 8 high slots)

3) Range bonuses

4) TP bonus in the case of the Golem, bonus to the effectiveness of tracking modules in the case of the turret boats, and bonuses towards sentry tracking in the case of the Kronos

5) Bastion module being fitted converts the Kronos into a sentry drone focused ship with all bonuses focused on sentries. (assuming a sentry boat would be preferred over a rail boat)

6) Tank boost buff while bastioned

7) Possibly a resist buff while bastioned

8) ewar immunity

9) A) MJD cycle bonus
B) Range bonus (150-200km range)
C) Able to select a range (anything 50km or more)

10) unable to receive remote assistance

11) (possible suggestion I read) - only bastion ships may assist each other
(my change to it) - with cap assistance and nothing else.

This would mean that you have a PVP boat that has pve potential with a role being specifically a brawler. It would be niche while being used in some pve situations.
However, the Bastioned mode would be a PVE focused boat with it's role being a tanky, sniper. It would be niche in pvp, but highly effective in certain situations such as breaking small roams, breaking small to med gate camps, and bait.

You would be required to commit, which is why I have proposed it being more like a sub system, so that once it's fitted, you're stuck in that role, instead of being able to simply online/offline a module, or simply swap a script.
No ship should have the capability of changing roles on a whim.

Alternately, those of you stating that the marauders need to be more versatile that t1, navy, or pirate didn't take a look when CCP stated the design plans of ships.
T2 ships are focused, t1 ships are versatile, navy are more focused than t1 and more versatile than t2, while pirate were designed to have the ultimate versatility with utility.(or something along that lines(was a long time ago))

I feel this is the best way to design marauders.

Now, with the Bastion module having a slot specifically for it, it would mean that other ships could be modified to allow a bastion module.

Black Ops BS's
Orca
Mining Barges/exhumers
Industrials
Noctis
Primus
Freighters

Basically, every ship would be different when fitting a bastion module.
I.E.
Hulk - range bonus at the cost of yield (reach a whole belt from warp in point)
Mack - Mine gas and take no damage at all, can't mine ore/ice.
Those are just some possible Bastion effects.
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3730 - 2013-09-15 13:51:21 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Joe Risalo wrote:
Also

One more thing to add.

TPs are, overall, affecting the same game interactions as webs but don't have a range control aspect. Both pieces of EWar make enemies easier to hit.

In exchange Target Painters work at far longer ranges than Webs do. Also overall the optimal/falloff setup is far better for Target Painters than a flat max range would be since it allows them to work at least a little at any range. Whether or not it would be balanced to see their ranges adjusted is another matter though, but one far outside the scope of a discussion on Marauders since it touches on a huge number of game mechanics and interactions.

I would suggest making another thread if you want to open a discussion on the matter.

I only added that to my part of the discussion because the OP mentions the TP balance.
Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3731 - 2013-09-15 15:51:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Iome Ambraelle
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
As far as the web bonus is concerned, I'd like to see them fix the underlying problem instead of treating the symptom. The only reason you need webs at all on a BS size platform is to control smaller ships that have gotten "under your guns". In PVE this isn't really a problem because a single flight of light drones with even basic drone skills can bring them down quickly.

In PVP where those smaller ships don't have crap tanks and no hitpoints to speak of that flight of drones won't even scratch their tank. A BS is completely helpless against smaller craft. The exception being cruise missile ships with target painters and precision cruise missiles. 2-3 painters and precision will make them go pop quite nicely. Turret platforms are just out of luck in this situation.

I don't know how you fix this without doing a complete weapon system rework. A good start would be to forklift the existing tracking formula and start with something a little more realistic. Like smaller ships being harder to hit farther away instead of easier...

This is pretty much working as intended. The smaller ship has far fewer hitpoints, less range, and lower damage than the large ship, in exchange it's harder to apply damage to and has a chance against larger ships by avoiding damage.

Eve is not supposed to be a linear progression like with, say, World of Warcraft swords where you "level up" or in this case gain skill points and everything gets progressively bigger and better. Certainly Battleships are bug and useful and the mainstay of a lot of combat but is it really a problem for them to be out-done in solo situations by smaller more maneuverable craft? Personally I'd say no, that's fine. What's the problem with Cruisers and Frigates as more viable solo ships compared to big lumbering Battleships? Besides as we've already established you *can* fit to deal with these smaller ships it's just going to hurt you in other ways.

I agree with you about the general intent of the current system. It would make for a very bad model if moving up a class made you trump anything below you. That's not a game that would be particularly interesting to play. I'm more talking about the complete ineffectiveness of larger hulls to deal with ships that are down a class.

Unless the battleship fits cruiser size turrets in some of its highs its only option for dealing with small targets at close range is to deploy light/medium drones. The problem is that a flight of lights/mediums doesn't pack enough punch to break the tank of those targets. Unless you have utility highs and fit heavy neuts you don't have many options for escape either.

The role is reversed at range with the smaller ship risking getting blapped off the field just because it's at range. Not a fun prospect for the cruiser/frigate pilot too. What I'd like to see is the removal of those two extreme cases. The cruiser/frigates smaller size should offer some protection at range which decreases as it gets closer, while the BS wouldn't become completely ineffective against smaller targets at minimal range. No certain death for the cruiser/frigate pilot at range and no guaranteed lockdown for the BS in CQ. I think that would be more balanced and offer a more dynamic environment.

Note: As I mentioned earlier, with precision cruise and 3 TPs or 2 bonused TPs a missile ship can apply 75%+ damage to said targets at all ranges. I know this is what sets missiles apart from turrets.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#3732 - 2013-09-15 16:08:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Harvey James
I would also like to see less utility highs on these ships i liked the CS approach .. cos while for pve it makes sense too have it the way it is for pvp it just leads to lots of neuts combined with strong web bonuses and T2 resists would surely make these OP..
I guess reducing fittings could be an answer too...
something like this:-

GOLEM

Role Bonus: 25% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:
10% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo velocity
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level

Marauders Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion radius per level
7.5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage

Slot layout: 8H(+1), 7M, 4L; 0 turrets, 6 launchers
Fittings: 8500 PWG (+2000), 715 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 8000(-200) / 6100(-1200) / 7000(+300)
default resits 25% in bastion mode
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap/s) : 6325(+700) / 1150s (+226.1s) / 5.5 cap/s (-0.5)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 85 m/s(-20) / .12 / 114195000(+8995000) / 19s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25(-50) / 50(-25)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 95km(+5km) / 105(+32) / 10
Sensor strength: 14 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 450(-125)

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#3733 - 2013-09-15 16:16:13 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Suzuka A1 wrote:
As a missile user I must say that a web bonus on the Golem seems very stupid. I would much prefer a increase in explosion velocity or a 2nd bonus to TP instead.

Golem
+25% missile velocity
+30% missile explosion velocity
+20% missile explosion radius

there are your bastion module stats.

in addition to the pre existing golem bonuses you just fixed this ships problem. Golem now has the best way to apply damage in the game.

Yes please..

Missile boats, are in need of faster missiles that apply damage better.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#3734 - 2013-09-15 16:28:10 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
[quote=Suzuka A1]
Golem
+25% missile velocity
+30% missile explosion velocity
+20% missile explosion radius

there are your bastion module stats.

Bastion mode doesn't give any turret tracking bonuses, so no, no missile tracking bonuses for you Cool

I wouldnt call explosion velocity a tracking bonus. Besides missiles do reduced damage on ship speed,sig radius and still take forever to hit a target, which is why guns are preferred in pvp in like ooooooh 90% of pvp fights.
Hagika
Standard Corp 123
#3735 - 2013-09-15 16:46:43 UTC
Bullet Therapist wrote:
I kind of feel like marauders are being pushed into so many different directions here to try to fill roles that either other ships fill better, or don't really exist in the first place. I know CCP is trying, but it all seems so screwed up right now.

Instead of concentrating so hard on making marauders wildly different from pirate battleships and other parts of the ship line-up why don't they follow the rest of the t2 lineup, and make what changes are needed to keep them on course.

For instance, to separate them from pirate battleships look at what pirate battleships do well. All of the pirate ships have great dps, most are fairly fast (with the machariel being very fast) and three of them have fantastic ewar bonuses. Why not keep this to pirate battleships? If they need to be reworked a little then do so during the pirate rebalance, but keep things like 90% webs, web range, a neuts to pirate battleships.

Whats left over now for marauders? Well why not follow the assault ship/command ship lineup. Keep the marauder's dps about the same, but emphasize their tank and application, but do so without utterly pidgeonholeing the class. Get rid of all of all of the ewar bonuses. ALL of them. No bonus to webs, none to target painters. Just drop them. If we want them, we'll fit them, just don't make us feel like we have to in order to optimize the ship. When you think about ship bonuses realize that people are going to use long and short range weapons on the ship. Keep this in mind. A web bonus is less of a help to people using long range weapons than it is to someone who uses short range ones.

Here's a sample of something that makes sense.

GOLEM

• Role Bonus: 100% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage. 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. Can fit Bastion modules.

• Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:

• Marauders Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to the cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level
4% bonus to shield resistances per level

• Slot layout: 6H, 7M, 5L; 0 turrets, 4 launchers
• Fittings: 8500 PWG, 715 CPU
• Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 8000 / 6100 / 7000
• Shield resists: 0% EM / 50% EX / 70% KIN / 80% THERM
• Armor resists: 50% EM / 10% EX / 62.5% KIN / 86.25% THERM
• Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap/s) : 6325 / 1150s / 5.5 cap/s
• Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 85 m/s / .12 / 114195000 / 19s
• Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25 / 50
• Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 95km / 105 / 10
• Sensor strength: 28 Gravimetric
• Signature radius: 450

And a bastion module that makes sense. Its pretty powerful, but again, its balanced against the fact that you COMMIT. No logi, can't move, can still be neuted, and anyone can run away from you.

BASTION MODULE

• Increases shield and armor repair amount by 25%
• Increases shield, armor and hull by 25%
• Extends all large turret falloff and optimal by 25%
• Increases all large missile max velocity by 25%
• Increases damage from large missiles and turrets by 25%
• When activated, the bastion module repairs the marauder for 25% of its maximum capacitor, armor, shield, and hull hp.
• Has a cycle time of 60 seconds.
• When in bastion mode, Marauder is immune to EW but cannot be remote assisted in any way
• When in bastion mode, Marauder speed is set to 0 m/s, mass is increased by a factor of 10, cannot warp. Also

When its activated, we're parked. We commit. When we turn this thing on its either win or die, so it better be worth it.

Its useful with the bastion module. Its useful without it. It has enough slots to make good fitting choices. It can be buffer tanked or active tanked. It has good application, which can be made better with TPs or webs, but it doesn't NEED to fit them.

That right here is exactly how it should be..Easily makes them a whole lot better and fits the pvp/PVE role and even makes them good for incursions.
Lunkwill Khashour
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3736 - 2013-09-15 17:07:30 UTC
2 Small changes I'ld like to see happen:
1. Swap the damage and cap bonus on the paladin to bring it in line with al the other marauders that get their damage bonus from the bs skill.
2. Increase the range of tractorbeams to beyond 50k so tractor beam reach areas overlap between micro jumps.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#3737 - 2013-09-15 17:46:23 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
I would also like to see less utility highs on these ships i liked the CS approach .. cos while for pve it makes sense too have it the way it is for pvp it just leads to lots of neuts combined with strong web bonuses and T2 resists would surely make these OP..
I guess reducing fittings could be an answer too...
something like this:-

GOLEM

Role Bonus: 25% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:

Marauders Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion radius per level
7.5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage

Slot layout: 8H(+1), 7M, 4L; 0 turrets, 6 launchers
Fittings: 8500 PWG (+2000), 715 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 8000(-200) / 6100(-1200) / 7000(+300)
default resits 25% in bastion mode
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap/s) : 6325(+700) / 1150s (+226.1s) / 5.5 cap/s (-0.5)
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 85 m/s(-20) / .12 / 114195000(+8995000) / 19s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25(-50) / 50(-25)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 95km(+5km) / 105(+32) / 10
Sensor strength: 14 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 450(-125)

Solution, don't ******* give them t2 res.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#3738 - 2013-09-15 19:58:09 UTC
Hagika wrote:
Bullet Therapist wrote:
I kind of feel like marauders are being pushed into so many different directions here to try to fill roles that either other ships fill better, or don't really exist in the first place. I know CCP is trying, but it all seems so screwed up right now.

Instead of concentrating so hard on making marauders wildly different from pirate battleships and other parts of the ship line-up why don't they follow the rest of the t2 lineup, and make what changes are needed to keep them on course.

For instance, to separate them from pirate battleships look at what pirate battleships do well. All of the pirate ships have great dps, most are fairly fast (with the machariel being very fast) and three of them have fantastic ewar bonuses. Why not keep this to pirate battleships? If they need to be reworked a little then do so during the pirate rebalance, but keep things like 90% webs, web range, a neuts to pirate battleships.

Whats left over now for marauders? Well why not follow the assault ship/command ship lineup. Keep the marauder's dps about the same, but emphasize their tank and application, but do so without utterly pidgeonholeing the class. Get rid of all of all of the ewar bonuses. ALL of them. No bonus to webs, none to target painters. Just drop them. If we want them, we'll fit them, just don't make us feel like we have to in order to optimize the ship. When you think about ship bonuses realize that people are going to use long and short range weapons on the ship. Keep this in mind. A web bonus is less of a help to people using long range weapons than it is to someone who uses short range ones.

Here's a sample of something that makes sense.

GOLEM

• Role Bonus: 100% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage. 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. Can fit Bastion modules.

• Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:

• Marauders Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to the cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level
4% bonus to shield resistances per level

• Slot layout: 6H, 7M, 5L; 0 turrets, 4 launchers
• Fittings: 8500 PWG, 715 CPU
• Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 8000 / 6100 / 7000
• Shield resists: 0% EM / 50% EX / 70% KIN / 80% THERM
• Armor resists: 50% EM / 10% EX / 62.5% KIN / 86.25% THERM
• Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap/s) : 6325 / 1150s / 5.5 cap/s
• Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 85 m/s / .12 / 114195000 / 19s
• Drones (bandwidth / bay): 25 / 50
• Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 95km / 105 / 10
• Sensor strength: 28 Gravimetric
• Signature radius: 450

And a bastion module that makes sense. Its pretty powerful, but again, its balanced against the fact that you COMMIT. No logi, can't move, can still be neuted, and anyone can run away from you.

BASTION MODULE

• Increases shield and armor repair amount by 25%
• Increases shield, armor and hull by 25%
• Extends all large turret falloff and optimal by 25%
• Increases all large missile max velocity by 25%
• Increases damage from large missiles and turrets by 25%
• When activated, the bastion module repairs the marauder for 25% of its maximum capacitor, armor, shield, and hull hp.
• Has a cycle time of 60 seconds.
• When in bastion mode, Marauder is immune to EW but cannot be remote assisted in any way
• When in bastion mode, Marauder speed is set to 0 m/s, mass is increased by a factor of 10, cannot warp. Also

When its activated, we're parked. We commit. When we turn this thing on its either win or die, so it better be worth it.

Its useful with the bastion module. Its useful without it. It has enough slots to make good fitting choices. It can be buffer tanked or active tanked. It has good application, which can be made better with TPs or webs, but it doesn't NEED to fit them.

That right here is exactly how it should be..Easily makes them a whole lot better and fits the pvp/PVE role and even makes them good for incursions.

"25% of its maximum capacitor, armor, shield, and hull hp" That sounds interesting. Basically a free rep/boost and cap transfer cycle.

If CCP comes even close to something like this, I think a lot of people can get behind it. I likes...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3739 - 2013-09-15 20:40:09 UTC
No one seems to have cared about my suggestion.

This makes me a sad panda...
DSpite Culhach
#3740 - 2013-09-15 21:36:09 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
No one seems to have cared about my suggestion.

This makes me a sad panda...

Well, I think the problem is that everyone - and I am not innocent of it either - seem to have this special idea in our brains, of what a Marauder is "supposed" to do, and personally I get confused still when I see very detailed posts with numbers cause I can follow a "general effect" but I have no idea what hard numbers will work, and which ones break equations.

It would be far easier for CCP to introduce a second Marauder hull to do all this messing with, and let people vote by if and when such hulls get flown around.

Seems to me that making GARGANTUAN changes to a ship that's already been flown by quite a few people just they way it is for many, many years, is a bit of a stretch.

I apparently have no idea what I'm doing.