These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3541 - 2013-09-11 15:11:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Xicho wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
So....CCP...any more comments on this mess, or are these stats now engraved in wet concrete, and we will see them on Sisi soon?

Are you brain dead? This is an idea for the winter expansion, and a first pass at that.

Be patient.

Actually, we are on the 2nd pass.
And with HAC's, if I remember correctly, there were only 2 passes before they showed up on Sisi.
Same with command ships.

Traditionally yes, but this time (probably because they are kicking this around early in their development schedule, and because it's pretty revolutionary) they were pretty specific that they had several other viable concepts to bounce off of us before they chose a path.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Aglais
Ice-Storm
#3542 - 2013-09-11 15:31:14 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

Traditionally yes, but this time (probably because they are kicking this around early in their development schedule, and because it's pretty revolutionary) they were pretty specific that they had several other viable concepts to bounce off of us before they chose a path.

I can only hope these other viable concepts they had are in fact more viable than what they've proposed thus far. :\
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3543 - 2013-09-11 15:40:13 UTC
Aglais wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

I can only hope these other viable concepts they had are in fact more viable than what they've proposed thus far. :\

Agreed, although the first one wasn't bad with a few adjustments. I still think there are other options to look at however, same as you.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3544 - 2013-09-11 15:57:16 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Aglais wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Agreed, although the first one wasn't bad with a few adjustments. I still think there are other options to look at however, same as you.

One of the more interesting proposals iv seen was a pretty big resistance to overheating, not immunity so as to leave you the ability to effectively whelp yourself.

I like the idea that the hull would have an incentive to explore the more advanced aspects of flying and beating you up for overreaching
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3545 - 2013-09-11 15:58:08 UTC
That's not to say that I want it, just thought it'd be interesting
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#3546 - 2013-09-11 16:20:03 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
So....CCP...any more comments on this mess, or are these stats now engraved in wet concrete, and we will see them on Sisi soon?

I hope not

they should unsticky this thread as both ideas were thrown in the can and they have gone back to theory crafting... dont expect an update for a while.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3547 - 2013-09-11 16:40:04 UTC
I've gone ahead and checked out of this discussion, because honestly at this point I'm not seeing the point in increasing the PvP viability of marauders. If the PvE pilots, such as yourself, want a dedicated PvE hull then you're more than welcome to it. Though obviously I'm out of touch with the needs of PvE. That being said...

Cade Windstalker wrote:
No, no they can't. I invite you to attempt this for, say, 10 missions per hull with every T1 Battleship hull (excluding the Scorpion and Armageddon since they're obvious non-contenders here due to their specialized bonsues). Please film the results for Youtube and see how you do, I'm betting most hulls have to warp out at least once and all of them fail to live up to any expectation of "reasonable completion time", especially when compared to a T2 or Pirate Battleship hull.

I'll take you up on this challenge. I'll even go one step further and include the Armageddon and Scorpion hulls as well. The Scorpion I know will take longer to complete missions simply because of its lackluster DPS. The Armageddon on the other hand shouldn't have any issues.

Due to time constraints, the videos won't arrive quickly to your inbox. However, if you think any hulls in particular are going to be more likely to fail than others just send me a message and I can do those first.

Care to make a wager out of this? :)
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3548 - 2013-09-11 16:51:53 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
I've gone ahead and checked out of this discussion, because honestly at this point I'm not seeing the point in increasing the PvP viability of marauders. If the PvE pilots, such as yourself, want a dedicated PvE hull then you're more than welcome to it. Though obviously I'm out of touch with the needs of PvE. That being said...

Cade Windstalker wrote:
No, no they can't. I invite you to attempt this for, say, 10 missions per hull with every T1 Battleship hull (excluding the Scorpion and Armageddon since they're obvious non-contenders here due to their specialized bonsues). Please film the results for Youtube and see how you do, I'm betting most hulls have to warp out at least once and all of them fail to live up to any expectation of "reasonable completion time", especially when compared to a T2 or Pirate Battleship hull.

I'll take you up on this challenge. I'll even go one step further and include the Armageddon and Scorpion hulls as well. The Scorpion I know will take longer to complete missions simply because of its lackluster DPS. The Armageddon on the other hand shouldn't have any issues.

Due to time constraints, the videos won't arrive quickly to your inbox. However, if you think any hulls in particular are going to be more likely to fail than others just send me a message and I can do those first.

I always enjoy it when someone effectively says "put your money where your mouth is", and the other person responds with "not a problem". Smile

Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#3549 - 2013-09-11 17:09:53 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

what are reasonable completion times? also what skill level are you testing at? What kinds of fits are allowed? (if for the purposes of testing i happen to use an officer mod would that be cheating? Faction ? Meta 4?

My guess is roughly half the Battleships will have to warp out in at least one of the missions, and there will be maybe three battleships that can be considered "effective" for a wide variety of missions.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Zeus Maximo
Mentally Assured Destruction
The Pursuit of Happiness
#3550 - 2013-09-11 17:10:17 UTC
Checking in awaiting CCP's newest update. Eager to see their new ideas :)

"It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus."

U-MAD Membership Recruitment

PoH Corporation Recruitment

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3551 - 2013-09-11 17:52:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Ranger 1 wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

I always enjoy it when someone effectively says "put your money where your mouth is", and the other person responds with "not a problem". Smile

Cade " raise "

Wolfgang instacall's "all in"

Ill put 200 mil in if you do the whole thing with t2 mods and let me Watch them ( its not much I know but I'm saving for a paladin, lol)
Afru Tolm
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3552 - 2013-09-11 17:59:26 UTC
Interesting changes and quite complicated to figure out what each ship will be like once they come in.

Personally I fly a Kronos with remote rep Navy Domi on an alt. - average mission I warp in get aggro on Kronos, then warp in Domi set to assist with drones and RR if needed (this almost never needed) My Kronos is fitted with tractors while Domi salvages.

I dont really like the idea of jumping all over the place in 100km bursts...the MJD is not really useful in 90% of missions and im not sure what use this would have in pvp either....perhaps this module needs the jump distance to be adjustable, but it would be awkward and why not just give the ship a simply velocity boost....seems like CCP are trying to force this absurd module on people.

The Bastion module (and pending hull transformations) sounds good to me as long as the marauders keep a decent web and rep bonus outside of the module being active. The ewar resistance will help with a few of the level 4 missions where ewar can completely overwhelm one ship. I have also seen a lot of people saying they dont use a web....this is one of the most helpful things on a maurader, it lets you kill anything bigger than a frigate with long range weapons no matter how close while letting your light drones kill everything frigate sized (this also makes the 50m3 drone bay very workable)

One thing I can see happening is newer players getting overwhelmed in a mission, going into bastion mode and being stuck in place and loosing their ship. If mauraders could even RR each other this would be much better for helping new players (i think i read this suggestion somewhere)

another option would be to make them only a percentage immune to ewar or if each marauder is immune to its own races ewar (so it can mission effectively in the correct space) or perhaps a choice of scripts, which once loaded into the bastion module which makes you immune to only one/two type(s) of ewar for 60 seconds while the module runs. this way RR can be allowed (if only a %age of normal effectiveness) and the opposing fleet would need to dynamically change ewar types - this could make for some interesting pvp and still allow pve immunity.

At current the ship feels rushed with the price tag, insurance and remote rep situation making it largely useless for pvp and incursions.

However you look at it, it needs work (as you can tell from the number of posts)
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3553 - 2013-09-11 18:41:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Ideally, the Bastion + MJD should allow the Marauder class to fit two roles in PvE:

- medium to high passive tanking, high mobility and increased range (standard mode)
- medium to high active tanking, null mobility and increased DPS (bastion mode)

As damage is already bonused, the logical bonus should be to damage application & should be a bastion bonus (not a module based bonus).

That's what I wish to get from the ISK+SP invested in what now are not-so-useful expensive toys.

As for PvP... that's not their primary use ATM, neither I am sure they could have a role with their price + SP requirements.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

vil3
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3554 - 2013-09-11 18:56:34 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

Cade " raise "

Ill put 200 mil in if you do the whole thing with t2 mods and let me Watch them ( its not much I know but I'm saving for a paladin, lol)

200M from me aswell though id ask you maby announce the times and do a twitch cast of it
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3555 - 2013-09-11 19:08:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Wolfgang Achari
Kusum Fawn wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

what are reasonable completion times? also what skill level are you testing at? What kinds of fits are allowed? (if for the purposes of testing i happen to use an officer mod would that be cheating? Faction ? Meta 4?

My guess is roughly half the Battleships will have to warp out in at least one of the missions, and there will be maybe three battleships that can be considered "effective" for a wide variety of missions.

Good question. If someone has a database of completion times that we can use as a standard, that would be swell. Otherwise I'll see what I can do to get some quick averages. I will probably do a few trial runs to get an idea of how much time I'm going to need as I'm going to try and do the missions back to back. I will be skipping courier missions.

This toon has 100m+ SP, not all related skills are at V but a good chunk of them are.

I am going to make it a bit more challenging and limit the fits to T1/T2/Meta modules. Faction charges, implants, nanite repair paste, rigs, and combat boosters* are fair game. I won't be using off-grid boosts, fleet window will be visible as proof.

I'll also be using out of game tools to appropriately prepare for and run the missions just as anyone else can. No mission will be blitzed and I'll make a reasonable effort to obtain keys for bonus rooms. I have no idea what my standings are, but I'm going to try to run the missions in the appropriate faction space for the ship.

Since warping out will count as a failure for the ship, I will not be warping out.

I'm interpreting "Most of the ships" as any amount greater than 60%. So to complete the challenge, I will need to successfully run 10 missions without warping out a single time in at least eight of the twelve T1 hulls. Once I have a metric for reasonable completion times, I will be able to compare those as well to determine if I successfully completed that portion of the challenge.

Did I miss anything?

With some luck I won't be kicked from my corp for doing this. Big smile

*I can use combat boosters at any time. If I have not yet requested the first mission out of the ten, I can consume boosters until I get favorable results. If I wait for a combat booster to expire after requesting the first mission, the wait time will be added to the mission time clock. This applies as well if I can't do the missions back to back. For example, if I stop after the fourth mission, I can't consume boosters until I get favorable results before requesting/starting the fifth.

*Edit*
Alliance/Corp ops will take precedence over this challenge. So if a ping goes out and I need to abandon a mission, I will restart the mission after DT has passed.

*Edit 2*
Added rigs as fair game as well since I forgot about them while making the post originally.
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3556 - 2013-09-11 19:11:50 UTC
vil3 wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

Cade " raise "

200M from me aswell though id ask you maby announce the times and do a twitch cast of it

Haven't done any casting, but I'll look into it. Regardless, I'll try to remember to create an in-game chat channel to post the videos to at the very least.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3557 - 2013-09-11 19:13:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Kusum Fawn wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

Good question. If someone has a database of completion times that we can use as a standard, that would be swell. Otherwise I'll see what I can do to get some quick averages. I will probably do a few trial runs to get an idea of how much time I'm going to need as I'm going to try and do the missions back to back. I will be skipping courier missions.

This toon has 100m+ SP, not all related skills are at V but a good chunk of them are.

I am going to make it a bit more challenging and limit the fits to T1/T2/Meta modules. Faction charges, implants, nanite repair paste, and combat boosters* are fair game. I won't be using off-grid boosts, fleet window will be visible as proof.

I'll also be using out of game tools to appropriately prepare for and run the missions just as anyone else can. No mission will be blitzed and I'll make a reasonable effort to obtain keys for bonus rooms. I have no idea what my standings are, but I'm going to try to run the missions in the appropriate faction space for the ship.

Since warping out will count as a failure for the ship, I will not be warping out.

I'm interpreting "Most of the ships" as any amount greater than 50%. So to complete the challenge, I will need to successfully run 10 missions without warping out a single time in at least seven of the twelve T1 hulls. Once I have a metric for reasonable completion times, I will be able to compare those as well to determine if I successfully completed that portion of the challenge.

Did I miss anything?

*I can use combat boosters at any time. If I have not yet requested the first mission out of the ten, I can consume boosters until I get favorable results. If I wait for a combat booster to expire after requesting the first mission, the wait time will be added to the mission time clock. This applies as well if I can't do the missions back to back. For example, if I stop after the fourth mission, I can't consume boosters until I get favorable results before requesting/starting the fifth.

Just over 50% is to be fair ,about half, 60-75% is most .

I would call bullshite on anything less than 60% .

I'd be happy if you did the YouTube thing.
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3558 - 2013-09-11 19:16:54 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Kusum Fawn wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

I am going to make it a bit more challenging and limit the fits to T1/T2/Meta modules. Faction charges, implants, nanite repair paste, and combat boosters* are fair game. I won't be using off-grid boosts, fleet window will be visible as proof.

I'm interpreting "Most of the ships" as any amount greater than 50%. So to complete the challenge, I will need to successfully run 10 missions without warping out a single time in at least seven of the twelve T1 hulls. Once I have a metric for reasonable completion times, I will be able to compare those as well to determine if I successfully completed that portion of the challenge.

Did I miss anything?

Just over 50% is to be fair ,about half, 60-75% is most .

I would call bullshite on anything less than 60

Since 60% is 7.2 ships, I will change it so that it needs to be completed with at least eight of the twelve ships.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3559 - 2013-09-11 19:20:05 UTC
Grandso,
Much respect man, you're a good sportCool
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3560 - 2013-09-11 19:33:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Kusum Fawn wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Cade Windstalker wrote:

Realistically the only variable worth considering is what is a reasonable completion time (which is highly subjective). Skill level and fitting is completely irrelevant as people using other types of vessels will bling out their ships as well and could be of any skill level.

Edit: I see terms have been agreed on. Just keep in mind however you determine reasonable completion time the ships contributing to those numbers need to generally follow the same guidelines, otherwise the test is highly weighted in favor of those other ships.

There is no way to quantify this factor, but keep in mind that a T1 BS has a much lower likelihood of being suicide ganked as well. Smile It's simply not as attractive a target, and not as likely to be blinged out.