These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3341 - 2013-09-09 19:22:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravasta Helugo
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
The issue with the "resists for rep" trade off is that it works as described for two ships, but two others (to include the Paladin) gain no resist bonus for their regionally prevalent rats to offset the 37.5% reduction in tank- resulting in the need to fit more modules to compensate. This reduces DPS, which reduces the amount of ISK you earn. This makes Pirate Battleships like the Nightmare that much more appealing, which defies the concept of a Tech 2 PvE focused Battleship.

Which is why the new marauders aren't suppose to be PvE focused battleships. Like every other ship in the game they're suppose to be ships that can be used in PvE, but giving them the PvE focus is what ruined them in the first place.

And seriously, if you can't 3 slot tank (4 w/bastion) amarr rats with the paladin you fail pretty hard at this game.

The PvE focus of these ships isn't what "ruined them." What held them back, and continues to hold them back, is this conflict:

1. In Level 4 Missions, more DPS equals more ISK. A robust, sustained local tank, paired with high DPS, projection and application, is the ultimate mission runner.

2. Such a ship would obsolete many, many others in PvP, and would kill the soul of Tiericide for the Battleship class.

So the Marauder, as it currently exists, was an attempt to marry DPS, application (Web, TP), and durability whilst substantially reducing it's effectiveness in PvP. The reason this attempt was a failure was twofold:

1. Pirate (and some faction) Battleships are capable of dealing the same theoretical DPS, but their projection bonuses are stronger and their velocity is higher. They are also almost as durable. For this increased performance, you need only 1/4 the training time and 50-70% of the ISK.

2. Less significant, but relevant when you consider that Pirate BS's have stronger than average Sensor Strength, is that the way CCP chose to reduce Marauder PvP effectiveness (low sensor strength,) makes these ships very vulnerable to NPC ECM as well.

Catering to PvE didn't break these ships. The dichotomy between catering to PvE without dominating PvP, combined with the superior performance of Pirate Battleships, did.
Mer88
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#3342 - 2013-09-09 19:31:45 UTC
can we say that trying to make a marauder a pvp ship is what ruins them? for all i know marauder has been a pve ship ever since it came out. then noctis cames in and ruins the marauder for the pve. Now people are trying to find a pvp role for it . I just dont think marauder is designed for pvp. It is way too expensive to risk. You will never justify spending 1.5b BS when other cheaper bs are just as capable. of course this is only my opinion.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3343 - 2013-09-09 19:38:31 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
So perhaps balance the hulls for PVP, and the bastion module for PVE... or vice versa.

Or a script for each ( shamelessly stolen from about 2/3 of the posts in this thread)

Yeah, I know... the idea has some merit. But it also has the potential for taking the Bastion module places CCP doesn't want it to go into.

Remember, they want Marauders to have "more" of a PVP role, not become the defacto fleet doctrine for Null sec fleets.

That's why I'm leaning towards making the Marauder itself be at least a "serviceable" PVP vessel in and of itself, with Bastion mode giving it everything it needs to be a superb PVE vessel... although reversing that would work as well. Making the Bastion module be the key to both may do more harm to the Marauder class than good.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3344 - 2013-09-09 19:53:00 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
So perhaps balance the hulls for PVP, and the bastion module for PVE... or vice versa.

Or a script for each ( shamelessly stolen from about 2/3 of the posts in this thread)

Yeah, I know... the idea has some merit. But it also has the potential for taking the Bastion module places CCP doesn't want it to go into.

Remember, they want Marauders to have "more" of a PVP role, not become the defacto fleet doctrine for Null sec fleets.

That's why I'm leaning towards making the Marauder itself be at least a "serviceable" PVP vessel in and of itself, with Bastion mode giving it everything it needs to be a superb PVE vessel... although reversing that would work as well. Making the Bastion module be the key to both may do more harm to the Marauder class than good.

It is clear they do not intend to increase the sensor strength of these ships, so the bastion module is what gives it some PvP merit, but the stationary aspect of it means they can and will get alphaed off the field.
The 30% omni resistance from the first iteration prevented that much more than most will admit because they wanted them to be more fleet viable with T2 resists.

The MJD bonus is extremely situational and it would not bother me either way to see it stay or go.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3345 - 2013-09-09 19:58:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
For something completely different...

There is one weapons system in EVE that is...

1: Completely stationary.
2: Properly bonused can be deadly to anything from frigate size on up.
3: Works well at almost all ranges.
4: Works very well in PVE, especially in conjunction with a MJD.
5: Is very popular in certain fleet doctrines.

Yep, the humble Sentry Drone.

So what if the Marauder hull was based around a large drone bay instead, along with it's MJD advantages... and what if the Bastion module had bonuses that not only improved it's tank but also enhanced the range and tracking of sentry drones?

Transformed it would become a bit of a Death Star, surrounded by it's immobile sentry's. MJD is the primary method of movement for PVE sentry use anyway. Also the Marauder hull "could" be used as part of an existing sentry drone fleet, but Bastion mode would likely not be used due to lack of remote rep in that configuration.

Just food for thought, they would seem to be made for each other.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3346 - 2013-09-09 20:09:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

It is clear they do not intend to increase the sensor strength of these ships, so the bastion module is what gives it some PvP merit, but the stationary aspect of it means they can and will get alphaed off the field.
The 30% omni resistance from the first iteration prevented that much more than most will admit because they wanted them to be more fleet viable with T2 resists.

The MJD bonus is extremely situational and it would not bother me either way to see it stay or go.

Agreed to a large degree, but keep in mind something on the first and last point you made.

The immunity to EW effect of Bastion mode actually was probably incorporated with PVE in mind primarily. Marauders are easily shut down in many missions due to low sensor strength, and even ships with normal sensor strengths and such can struggle.

The MJD is very, very commonly used in missions. Not so much (as of yet) in PVP, so yes there it is pretty situational.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3347 - 2013-09-09 20:34:06 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Agreed to a large degree, but keep in mind something on the first and last point you made.

The immunity to EW effect of Bastion mode actually was probably incorporated with PVE in mind primarily. Marauders are easily shut down in many missions due to low sensor strength, and even ships with normal sensor strengths and such can struggle.

The MJD is very, very commonly used in missions. Not so much (as of yet) in PVP, so yes there it is pretty situational.
Even in PvE it tends to only truly shine with sentries, which actually already have some resistance to EWAR. The range amplification of Bastion helps the other weapons systems increase their attractiveness at MJD distances, but those that are largely falloff based will draw significant disadvantages at range.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3348 - 2013-09-09 20:45:29 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Even in PvE it tends to only truly shine with sentries, which actually already have some resistance to EWAR. The range amplification of Bastion helps the other weapons systems increase their attractiveness at MJD distances, but those that are largely falloff based will draw significant disadvantages at range.

Sentry drone use benefits the most, yes... but it's starting to be a staple for anyone wishing to snipe as they come in, which opens up a larger variety of hulls and interesting fits. In those cases especially the EW immunity will certainly be a boon (especially vs damps or tracking disruptors) as it speeds up mission completion time significantly.

As far as range advantages go, I'd say they are pretty universal as they apply to turret optimal and fall off, as well as missile velocity.

Short range weapons extend their kill zone significantly with long range ammo, and long range weapons have no need to boost their range and can likely use short range, high damage ammo most of the time.

marVLs
#3349 - 2013-09-09 20:48:51 UTC  |  Edited by: marVLs
First step choose primary role for them.
Ok so let it be PVE because PVP with those costs for sub cap have no sense to be primary, then look how this PVE direction can give them little PVP possibility.

We got tractor bonus, it's good but should be at least x2 bigger otherwise it's wasted bonus.
We got less ammo consuption, great but with less DPS than pirate and navy BS's it's no win, and 4 high damage guns like on golem sometimes make DPS even smaller because of wasted dmg in those salvos.

So what to do? The most important thing in PVE is time efficiency. Most of scenarios it's = highest DPS, speed is important too but You can always fit AB/MWD.

We got Bastion module, ok let it be, now it's important to give it bonuses so marauders will be better than pirate/navy BS's.
EWAR immunity? Good with last NPC EWAR changes
Better aplication/range? Always better
More tank? Could be but it's not important, it won't speed up things. Some may say "bu bu but You can now fit more modules for DPS etc." how could i do it on Golem? Or 5th gyro on vargur?... it won't outperform DPS of pirate/navy BS's, and sitting still for 1min when You can kill stuff on the go for another pocket will cut time efficiency even more.

So yeah it's hard to rebalance them without increasing raw DPS so they will be best in thier role. I like that idea to make them better than pirate/navy BS's for PVE with something else than bigger DPS, but it's hard/tricky and current changes are too small (tractor bonus) , not useful or in bad direction.

And to make things even harder, ships must be fun to play and not too gimmick, no one want's to skill that long for micromanagement hell...

Hope that CCP will figure this out, otherwise marauders will be useless.
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#3350 - 2013-09-09 20:52:34 UTC
Mer88 wrote:
can we say that trying to make a marauder a pvp ship is what ruins them? for all i know marauder has been a pve ship ever since it came out. then noctis cames in and ruins the marauder for the pve. Now people are trying to find a pvp role for it . I just dont think marauder is designed for pvp. It is way too expensive to risk. You will never justify spending 1.5b BS when other cheaper bs are just as capable. of course this is only my opinion.

To me, the fact that the Marauder has exceptional difficulty being hammered into a PvP role means that there's too great a difference between PvP and PvE content, for one thing.

The other is that they're not trying to really address the issue in the right fashion.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3351 - 2013-09-09 21:12:59 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

Sentry drone use benefits the most, yes... but it's starting to be a staple for anyone wishing to snipe as they come in, which opens up a larger variety of hulls and interesting fits. In those cases especially the EW immunity will certainly be a boon (especially vs damps or tracking disruptors) as it speeds up mission completion time significantly.

As far as range advantages go, I'd say they are pretty universal as they apply to turret optimal and fall off, as well as missile velocity.

Short range weapons extend their kill zone significantly with long range ammo, and long range weapons have no need to boost their range and can likely use short range, high damage ammo most of the time.

I would still say the benefit is somewhat situational as while range amplification closes the gap somewhat between sniping performance and high DPS close-mid range fits, it still has drawbacks on causing some weapons to suffer heavy DPS loss to being in deep falloff if they hit at all at the longer end of MJD sniping.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3352 - 2013-09-09 21:40:39 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

I would still say the benefit is somewhat situational as while range amplification closes the gap somewhat between sniping performance and high DPS close-mid range fits, it still has drawbacks on causing some weapons to suffer heavy DPS loss to being in deep falloff if they hit at all at the longer end of MJD sniping.

I know what you are saying (I'm not trying to be argumentative, just offering counter points). Just keep in mind that there is no reason you always have to MJD directly away from the NPC's. By jumping at various angles (or even completely the other side of the spawn) you can actually use a MJD to hit a wide variety of ranges from the target group.

This was a bit cumbersome before due to the cool down timer, but with the bonus to MJD use it becomes pretty easy to reposition where ever you wish to be in relation to the targets.

Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3353 - 2013-09-09 21:42:45 UTC
at least they should change the bastion deactivation to like this:
you activate it has to run 1 cycle , but after that when it only takes 10 sec to unactivate, who thinks it is a good module when it needs average 30 sec to turn off possibly up to 60 , then you add warp off time 10 seconds... it warps to safe slower than a carrier from 0 , totally useless for 0.0 or low sec pve , when enemy can catch you from 2 jumps away before you can warp off

oh and it only gives tank and minimal optimal,the only good think is ewar immunity but then it is its drawback too ? :O
it should give some dmg too , dunno much about pve but inst dps the limiting factor and not the repp amount?

I cant realy seem much use for this bastion module , it just doesnt give that much for its huge drawbacks and does that item should be the power of a marauder? no way

this whole marauder thing needs a rethink , probably the transformation is already in work so as usuall ccp will stick to that ,but everything other thing could and should be changed, drop out the current marauder and start from blank, it doesnt have to resemble the current marauder at all, just be unique and good for its role
Cassius Invictus
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3354 - 2013-09-09 21:46:34 UTC
How about:
Marauder hulls: as in current version

Paladin bonuses:

7.5% bonus to large energy turret optimal range
4% to all armor resistances
7.5% bonus to large energy turret tracking
5% bonus to large energy turret damage

Kronos bonuses:

5% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage
10% bonus to large hybrid turret falloff per
7.5% bonus to large hybrid weapon tracking
7.5% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers

Golem bonuses:

10% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo velocity
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity
10% bonus to effectiveness of target painters
4% bonus to all shield resistances

Vargur bonuses:

5% bonus to large projectile turret rate of fire
10% bonus to large projectile turret falloff
7.5% bonus to large projectile turret tracking
7.5% bonus to the range factor of stasis webifiers

Bastion Module:

Ewar immunity, 60s stationary, 25% falloff and optimal, increases shield and armor repair amount by 100%, increases shield and armor remote repair by 50%, can be remotely assisted, can fit only one rr.

Use: Lvl4 missions, Incursions, WH C3-C4, Small gang fleets.

If u think this overpowered consider: low lock time, no bonus to range on rr, is stationary with rr, can fit only one rr. Basically this would work if 2-4 marauder would spider tank but would be unable to replace logistic ships.

IMHO this is the only way this can work for all types of PvE and PvP. If you think it has to much tank consider that carrier costs as much as marauder and can remote rep much more effectively. Leave huge dps for Pirate BS.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3355 - 2013-09-09 21:48:12 UTC
Oh, and yes, I still think the most natural weapons system the Marauder hull should be built around (especially considering it's MJD bonus and proposed T2 resists to the hull), and what the immobile Bastion mode should augment, is Sentry drone use. Smile

Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3356 - 2013-09-09 21:55:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravasta Helugo
Cassius Invictus wrote:
How about:
Marauder hulls: as in current version

Paladin bonuses:

7.5% bonus to large energy turret optimal range
4% to all armor resistances
7.5% bonus to large energy turret tracking
5% bonus to large energy turret damage

I like it.

Just make sure you add a bigger capacitor and I'm on board. Bastion would become an "oh ****!" button for when I popped too many triggers or was jammed into the ground. I like it. CCP do this!

EDIT: This also meshes perfectly with the Apocalypse bonuses, I noticed. Nice.
Cade Windstalker
#3357 - 2013-09-09 21:57:55 UTC
Cassius Invictus wrote:
As I wrote earlier and what your statement seems to support is that for PvP it doesn’t matter where the resist hole is - it will be filled anyway with a proper mod for omnitank.

It does hugely matter in PvE where there is a fixed dmg type of rats and if a PvE boat that is supposed to fight those rats has a hole on their dmg types that this is just bad design. Fix Paladin and Vargur resists. Just swap them that’s all that is needed.

I'd rather see the local repair bonus return in some form than see them break with the T2 resists convention (likely to the complaining of everyone planning to use these ships for incursions or PvP).

Beckett Firesnake wrote:
BS with 2 sets of small drones only? Not a lot.
I would let a bandwith/bay of 50/75 to 50/100 on these ships. It is not so much...

Tons of Battleships have this or little drone-bay. The Rokh is one good example, the Apocalypse is another. Seems to come pretty standard with the really tanky ships and a host of other T1 battleships have only 75 bandwidth and drone bay.

Mournful Conciousness wrote:
Does anyone here know how mission runners fit their kronos' at the moment? I'd be keen to know as I've never seen one being used on TQ other than for combat-salvaging a c5 sleeper site.

pls "like" the post if you reply so I can find the answer, or mail me in game.

ps. I'm not trolling, just be keen to know. I always assumed it would be rails & perma-tank, but ytterbium's demo post a few hundred pages back made me wonder.

Ytterbium was fitting for the increased range of Bastion and the reduced tank, in general you would either do a MWD, webs, and Blasters (fun, but not necessarily optimal) or Rails, with a MWD, or AB and webs for anything that you can't track with the rails and the drones don't finish off while you're blasting through Battleships.

Wedgetail wrote:
yup, that's about right, though t3 are specialised not generalised, they just have more parts to chose from upon their construction that give them the ability to appear more general, faction ships sit in the center - beign t1, and t2 steer towards one specific idea, the idea of the marauders...is versatility, cuz..you can specialise at being versatile yea? :)

so while your pirate BS do a little more direct damage, a marauder will say instead of that damage, we'll take RR and or cap modules instead, so we can adapt better to a change of circumstance, or perform better under fire, increasing our combat effectiveness over all compared to the faction equivalent :)

that picture, while being very simple, does the job - though it may take a more detailed breakdown for most people to notice i think ;)

Generalized in the sense of "Jack of all trades, master of none". Not in the sense that each T3 in a fleet won't be filling one or two specialized roles.

Post-T3 Rebalance the idea seems to be that they'll be able to do a lot of things well but none of them better than the base hull that's specialized in them. We're already seeing a bit of this with the Command Ship changes.

For T2 the Marauders seem to be focusing on tank and damage projection/application, not on being more versatile. See: Battleship sized HACs are a bad idea...

You can, of-course, always fit a ship for any number of situations but a ship's bonuses determine its specialization.
Cade Windstalker
#3358 - 2013-09-09 22:25:38 UTC
Isinero wrote:
I rechecked bonuses ... (after change)

and 37,5% repair amount = T2 resists

Result is really nearly the same. (maybe something like +5 - 10 EHP regen per sec for T2 ressits.)

Not sure how it will be for active shield tank. For passive shield tank this can be really big advantage :-D

Except that mission rats don't do omni damage! Lol

Check your math again.

Ersahi Kir wrote:
Designing marauders for PvE is what ruined them in the first place. They need to be balanced for PvP because mission runners are just going to pick the ship that runs missions the quickest anyway.

Would be nice to not see the people who already use these hulls have their training invalidated.

Also people run missions for a variety of reasons and with a variety of skill-sets. Not everyone uses "the most efficient hull available".

Wedgetail wrote:
it can, but ccp will have to stop focusing on making their changes prioritise defensive tactics, you don't win by isolating yourself from your allies, you don't win by sitting dead still and allowing your enemy to kill you on their terms and you don't win by allowing your opponent the room they need to simply ignore you.

you win by crushing them under your heel with unavoidable force, marauders by default fight at long range - with exception of the kronos (which still can but its current bonus set prioritises close quarters)

give the marauder hulls their optimal/falloff bonus, give them the rate of fire/damage bonus, the repair amount boost bonus and their tracking bonus - this means the default stance to a marauder is to sit at long range and skirmish (like they already do)

allowing them to continue doing what they do already, THEN for the bastion module, invert the role entirely, make its focus an all or nothing attack move, marauders are violent they don't huddle back off in the distance when things get bad they get very angry and aggressive, they defend by attacking indiscriminately - thus removing the thing causing them harm - or perishing in the attempt, this way marauders get a new function, and keep their old one at the same time - all peeps go home happy.

"Niche PvP Applications"

Not "PvP god-boat".

The Marauders are unlikely to be useful for everyone in every PvP situation, but that's the nature of T2 specialization. If you want raw damage then I suggest you wait for the pirate battleship re-balance. Giving them massive damage boost over the Pirate Battleships just creates power creep.

Also stop trying to balance against the definition of a word, it makes for poor game design.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
I fail to see why that's a compelling argument for retaining the rep bonus. Losing a little bit of tank against some NPC rats will not suddenly make these ships useless for PvE content. If anything it broadens the range of PvE content they can effectively be used for because of the overall increased resists. Retaining the current tanks for PvE just because a few people don't want to see any red on their tank during a site/mission/etc. isn't a good reason to retain it. Especially if it's at the expense of giving the ship greater usability overall.

The extra tank and thus the increased cap stability and/or option for more utility slots is the main reason to use these ships over Pirate Battleships at present. "Greater overall usability" is entirely subjective and since the only major use of these hulls at present is in mission running and other PvE content it seems fair that we should avoid invalidating the time and skill training these pilots have put into these ships if possible. A local repair bonus is not a death sentence for a hull, plenty of ships have them and are used in PvP and PvE, whether they're making use of said bonus or not.
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3359 - 2013-09-09 22:28:47 UTC
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
The problem is that by lowering the tank, the differences between the Marauder class and the pirate/faction hulls becomes too narrow making the those alternatives far more attractive because they will bring almost the same effective tanking potential, but with greater maneuverability, raw damage, less training time, and less ISK investment. Why train for and fly a marauder if the faction/pirate hulls match it or exceed it in most ways.

There's this infographic halfway through this ship balance devblog that explains why this is. Likewise, why weren't these exact same complaints being used for HAC's when they were being rebalanced compared to faction cruiser hulls? T2 cruisers are typically less maneuverable, have less raw damage, require more training time, bring comparible tanks for regional rats, and (with some exceptions) also require greater isk investment. Since T2 is all about specialization, it looks like CCP is trying to add real specialization to marauders with the bastion module. Killing NPC's isn't a specialized task and giving a tractor beam bonus doesn't make the ship specialized for PvE (despite what the description might say).

Ravasta Helugo wrote:
The issue with the "resists for rep" trade off is that it works as described for two ships, but two others (to include the Paladin) gain no resist bonus for their regionally prevalent rats to offset the 37.5% reduction in tank- resulting in the need to fit more modules to compensate. This reduces DPS, which reduces the amount of ISK you earn. This makes Pirate Battleships like the Nightmare that much more appealing, which defies the concept of a Tech 2 PvE focused Battleship.

From the OP...

Quote:
We also believe that designing them for a very specific activity doesn't fit the emergent nature of EVE, and as such we wish to expand their use to PvP as well. Of course, their high price, low mobility will always ensure their role remains a niche one, but we at least can make that purpose more appealing than a simple "jam me now and forever" target dummy.

Their proposed role is no longer going to be just a PvE focused battleship. Like I mentioned previously as well, a tractor beam bonus is hardly grounds for being claiming a ship is specialized for PvE.
Cade Windstalker
#3360 - 2013-09-09 22:32:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Zoe Israfil wrote:
Zoe Israfil wrote:

The T2 resists will make them more viable for missioning level 4's (not really like you're going to need the tank with bastion but at least you have it). Their increased projection should help with bringing mission completion times down, especially if one gets really good at planning triangles. This alone should be a huge buff in the eyes of the high sec marauder-missioner. The T2 resists combined with bastion's local tank bonus also should make them small gang pvp viable / WH viable / anom-combatsignature viable. I think in retrospect the +30% resists were way too strong, and the current option provides plenty of tank for people to explore coupled with a cool idea (transforming is so cool... why ppl h8ting mini dreads that can go through hi-sec?). Furthermore the stationary/sieged dynamic will be a really neat change to PVP (small scale).

[Sorry for formatting this part is a quote from that Goon that's here a lot]

Except that T2 tank and no local-rep bonus on the hull mean that if you don't want to use Bastion you're getting an overall mission-tanking nerf on the Vargur and Paladin but a major buff on the Kronos and Golem due to how damage in missions is distributed.

For a small dissertation on this issue see my previous post way back here.

[This is the end of that part that he said]

As a minnie pilot I actually agree. However, I personally think the bastion module/effect is the coolest thing since sliced cheese. I personally would not fly one of these without. I understand many people do not feel the same way. My previous writing was from the perspective that one would ALWAYS be using the bastion module. My current biggest reservation is currently to their mobility. I really wish there was a better way to control the jump range of the mjd. I really have been meaning to try find a way to control the range but it just seems like such a pain for those short/med gates (30 -50 k)[/quote]

I am not a goon! Straight

Also you can nest quotes FYI

Cassius Invictus wrote:
Exactly. Better resist profile = less tank modules needed = more dps modules = faster missions. How hard can it be to understand that?

Oh, and call me dumb but for those of you who say you can tank ANY level 4 mission: my Paladin with X-type rep and proper hardeners cannot tank: The Assault, The Dread Pirate Scarlet (when I fail to predict what rats will spawn) and the Blokade (when I mess the spawns) . I sometime feel its easier to tank a class 5 anomaly in WH (no it's not ;) ). Then again my Tengu tanks all lvl 4 pretty well...

Except that the resist profile is not particularly better on 2 out of the 4, especially compared to the damage they deal (which determines which rats they're likely to want to fight)

See my previous post for a rather long explanation of mission damage distribution vs the T2 resist profiles.

Ersahi Kir wrote:
Which is why the new marauders aren't suppose to be PvE focused battleships. Like every other ship in the game they're suppose to be ships that can be used in PvE, but giving them the PvE focus is what ruined them in the first place.

And seriously, if you can't 3 slot tank (4 w/bastion) amarr rats with the paladin you fail pretty hard at this game.

Actually it's pretty clear from Ytterbium's posts, testing, ect that these are supposed to be PvE focused, just with more PvP uses than the current, as Ytterbium put it, "Jam me now and forever target dummy"