These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Dev Blog: Player-owned Customs Office

First post First post
Author
Anishoara
Federal Institute Service
#1781 - 2011-11-25 18:32:58 UTC
I try to understand something about taxes now, and after.

Today, for example :

1 UNIT of Precious Metal = 0.76 ISK in taxes to export

Tomorrow, with an Interbus Custom Office :

1 UNIT of Precious Metal = 500 ISK (base taxe) x 17% (interbus taxe) = 85 ISK ?

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#1782 - 2011-11-25 21:22:43 UTC
Hi-sec CONCORD 5% import fees / 10% export fees:

P0 - 0.25 / 0.50 ISK/u
P1 - 25.00 / 50.00 ISK/u
P2 - 450 / 900 / ISK/u
P3 - 3500 / 7000 ISK/u
P4 - 67500 / 135000 ISK/u

Or see:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/CustomsOffice

Your calculation sounds about right though. Just make sure to raise your prices 50-85 ISK on P1 products that you sell on the market and you'll be fine.
Taloness
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1783 - 2011-11-27 00:57:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Taloness
Well I haven't been able to read all of these but seems to be a general distaste for these things. I have been very excited about them since I first heard about them but I agree completely with the concerns that have been brought up. After playing around a bit on Sisi I can see its going to be EXTREMELY easy for the big alliances to BURN through Lowsec and put up their own offices all over the universe making some nice income for themselves and taxing people out of areas they dont want them in.
CCP you have made PI a big part of the game and you are screwing it up by touching Low Sec. I agree completely with having them in W Space and in Sov but Low Sec shouldn't have been touched.
There are plenty of small corps that will never come close to Sov and there is nothing wrong with that. There are also plenty of corps and pilots that will never leave HS and thats ok too. Thats the beauty of Eve there is something for everyone so as far as the talk about forcing pilots to stay in HS or LS I think thats bull, if they are ambitious enough and what it then they have to go for it but puting these in Low Sec will definetely prevent that. I'm guessing that the big alliances will be able to re enforce one of these things in 10minutes.
So do you plan to start the same process with IHUB's as needing the gantry before building the actual IHUB? Otherwise why is the customse office special. And why can't I continue to upgrade my Customs office with say defensive upgrades. They could be installed just like upgrades are installed in the IHUBS. You could make the defensive upgrades targetable items like services on outposts. This would provide some protection against the average passers by. But ofcourse that doesn't really matter since the blobs are going to burn these things down just for fun. I'm guessing within a week you see 60% of the customs offices gone without replacements even just plain gone.

I just blew one up with a single Naglfar on sisi in about 2 hours. Granted the player ones will re enforce and not just go straight to boom but it took me about 1.5 hours to go through the shields for re enforce. So this means the blobs will be able to re enforce these things in probably 2 siege cycle's maybe even 1 and if they dooms day them then they will basically be able to re enforce 1 office every 10minutes. Say an average system has 7 plantes thats about 1.5 hours per system to smash all of them including move time to warp from office to office.
Chicken Pizza
One-man Armada
#1784 - 2011-11-27 07:43:35 UTC
Taloness wrote:
Well I haven't been able to read all of these but seems to be a general distaste for these things. I have been very excited about them since I first heard about them but I agree completely with the concerns that have been brought up. After playing around a bit on Sisi I can see its going to be EXTREMELY easy for the big alliances to BURN through Lowsec and put up their own offices all over the universe making some nice income for themselves and taxing people out of areas they dont want them in.
CCP you have made PI a big part of the game and you are screwing it up by touching Low Sec. I agree completely with having them in W Space and in Sov but Low Sec shouldn't have been touched.
There are plenty of small corps that will never come close to Sov and there is nothing wrong with that. There are also plenty of corps and pilots that will never leave HS and thats ok too. Thats the beauty of Eve there is something for everyone so as far as the talk about forcing pilots to stay in HS or LS I think thats bull, if they are ambitious enough and what it then they have to go for it but puting these in Low Sec will definetely prevent that. I'm guessing that the big alliances will be able to re enforce one of these things in 10minutes.
So do you plan to start the same process with IHUB's as needing the gantry before building the actual IHUB? Otherwise why is the customse office special. And why can't I continue to upgrade my Customs office with say defensive upgrades. They could be installed just like upgrades are installed in the IHUBS. You could make the defensive upgrades targetable items like services on outposts. This would provide some protection against the average passers by. But ofcourse that doesn't really matter since the blobs are going to burn these things down just for fun. I'm guessing within a week you see 60% of the customs offices gone without replacements even just plain gone.

Yeah, the naysayers can say whatever they want. If it generates a kill mail, there is always someone willing to shoot it down.
PRLord
Violent Force Productions
#1785 - 2011-11-30 01:43:44 UTC
Does anyone know if the NPC controlled offices that are destructable have reinforcement timers as well?
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1786 - 2011-11-30 15:06:36 UTC
PRLord wrote:
Does anyone know if the NPC controlled offices that are destructable have reinforcement timers as well?

Probably, but noone will reapair them...
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#1787 - 2011-11-30 15:50:27 UTC
PRLord wrote:

AFAIK, they (the NPC-owned Interbus COs) do not have reinf timers, but they do have slightly more EHP then POCOs.
Yalawni
Demonstrably False
#1788 - 2011-11-30 15:53:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Yalawni
I hate this idea.

People with no interest in PI production will just attack these customs offices for the hell of it. So, to have any chance now of participating in low sec PI i have to join a huge corp that can defend them. What about the little guy?

I am now to be relegated to high sec (poor planet) PI because i am not in a large corp.

You wanted PI to be a big part of the game and many of us solo / small corp players embraced it and have assumed the risk of operating in low sec with covert transports etc but now we are gonna be thrown out.

Again, biggest problem I see here is people with no interest in PI just messing with it for jollies.

I love the expansion in general but this idea sucks.

o/
CHrONiC CAiN
Wrath of Angels
#1789 - 2011-12-01 01:55:53 UTC
Thanks for totally screwing up PI CCP, well done. Nothing was wrong with the PI set-up in HS, yet you broke it and now profit is so marginal its not worth bothering with. Yes, I like fuzzy bunny space, dont care about kill mails, gank'n Joe Blow and his corp, back stabbing alliances or any of that other BS. Now it cost TEN TIMES what I usually pay in fees to import/export, not double like it says in the release. Double I can handle. When export goes from 390k to 3.9mil, someone just screwed the pooch. To quote CCP
Quote:
Customs Offices in High Sec will remain under the authority of CONCORD who will, in turn, charge doubled import and export taxes.
That statement isn't even close to what the import/export taxes are in HS.....Whoever taught you math needs to be slapped. There you have it!

TOTAL IDIOTS!!!
Mechnom
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1790 - 2011-12-01 11:16:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mechnom
CHrONiC CAiN wrote:

TOTAL IDIOTS!!!

well - let's calm down a bit.

what is at stake is not pi in high-sec. those changes simply lead to higher pi-product prices. so income from pi wont change i guess. what will be affected are the costs to maintain a station which will then affect t2 production, capital parts production and the like.

i guess changing the prices to export was simply needed to make setting up pocos profitable. i agree that 0.o sec alliances should be rewarded for doing what they do. it is much more risky. so it should pay out. with margins of like 45k iskies noone would have bothered to set pocos up. the way it is now will make them reconsider...

so in generall i agree with the changes to 0.o and highsec.

what should be adressed (dirly) is the way to export stuff from a planet where there is no poco. dont expect small alliances to put one up themselves. as those affore mentioned raids will...

so my adjustment ideas would be:

1. limit the tax rate in empire lowsec to 20% - 25%

AND

2. when a poco is not rebuild within 20 hours a new one is set up (i.e a interbus one)

or

2. make planetary launches possible via the spaceport

or

2. make the storage capacity bigger in the command center

AND: make launches/export possible if not in solar system. well i assume it is just a bug, but one never knows...
Rui Siyuan
The Order of the Oar
#1791 - 2011-12-01 15:05:52 UTC
I can confirm, no reinforcement timers. But oh boy do they take a while to bring down! Bring ammo and snacks. That'll deter many opportunistic Interbus bashers anyway.

The POCO was up and upgraded in seconds, easy as.

HIGH sec tax rate? What on earth? A little overboard? I dont get the logic. Surely that's not expected to be a strong enough motivator for people to shift from high sec? They'll just drop PI when the hassle becomes insufficiently profitable, do something else .

PLUS - POCOs and their corporate owners now clear for all to see across system on overview. There goes our efforts to disguise our corporate identity in w space then. Tactically, it's going to have a big impact on w space scouting. Fake holding corp to "own" your local tax-free POCOs anyone?
Jack Dant
The Gentlemen of Low Moral Fibre
#1792 - 2011-12-01 15:15:00 UTC
Rui Siyuan wrote:
I can confirm, no reinforcement timers. But oh boy do they take a while to bring down! Bring ammo and snacks. That'll deter many opportunistic Interbus bashers anyway.

They have 2.5m more hp to kill than POCOs (because of the reinforcement mechanics), and you have to do it all in one sitting Big smile

Quote:
PLUS - POCOs and their corporate owners now clear for all to see across system on overview. There goes our efforts to disguise our corporate identity in w space then. Tactically, it's going to have a big impact on w space scouting. Fake holding corp to "own" your local tax-free POCOs anyone?

With the "transfer ownership" mechanic, the holding corp doesn't even have to set foot in the wormhole. You lose attack notifications, but in a wormhole, you'll usually find out inmediately anyway.

What happens in lowsec, stays in lowsec, lowering the barrier to entry to lowsec PVP: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=476644&#post476644

Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1793 - 2011-12-02 04:31:43 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Hi-sec CONCORD 5% import fees / 10% export fees:

P0 - 0.25 / 0.50 ISK/u
P1 - 25.00 / 50.00 ISK/u
P2 - 450 / 900 / ISK/u
P3 - 3500 / 7000 ISK/u
P4 - 67500 / 135000 ISK/u

Or see:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/CustomsOffice

Your calculation sounds about right though. Just make sure to raise your prices 50-85 ISK on P1 products that you sell on the market and you'll be fine.

So far I've been okay with everything until I found this:

333 units of any P2 launched from the "Command Center" (Rocket Launch) is 1350 ISK/ unit!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTH?!

CCP Phantom could you please respond to why such a huge increase in the launch costs has occurred?

I mean do whatever you want with Interbus but you guys need to keep your hands off my command center.

CCP you are bad at EVE... Stop potential silliness ~ Solo Wulf

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#1794 - 2011-12-02 04:52:08 UTC
Rui Siyuan wrote:

HIGH sec tax rate? What on earth? A little overboard? I dont get the logic. Surely that's not expected to be a strong enough motivator for people to shift from high sec? They'll just drop PI when the hassle becomes insufficiently profitable, do something else .

The short answer:

If hi-sec tariffs hadn't been raised then lo-sec POCOs would not be economically viable. Unable to compete against the hi-sec tariffs. If POCOs aren't economically viable, then people would be crying here about someone blowing up their lo-sec NPC CO and nobody can afford to put one back up. If the NPC CO tariffs in lo-sec weren't high, then users wouldn't bother to take them down prematurely and put new ones up in order to save on tariffs and line their own pockets.

Personally, I argued that CCP needed to give us 3 different sizes, 30M/60M/120M versions, just like POS towers, and to give them defenses just like POS towers. Maybe with only 2/3 the PG and 1/4 the CPU of a regular POS tower in exchange for a much lower fuel use. On the other hand, you can apparently anchor these in or near a POS tower for defense. If they had given us 3 different sizes, then we could have chosen the level of POCO that we wished to deploy.

I'd like to see the material costs for the POCOs lowered - if they only required about 1/2 of the current materials, they would be far more in line with their limited functionality (which is more akin to a POS lab which are 50-80M ISK, not 150-200M).

And the way around the hi-sec tariff is to do more steps on the same planet. Setting up a planet that imports P1 and exports P3 is not hard. You can also setup P2->P4 planets, which might be more profitable then P3->P4.
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1795 - 2011-12-02 06:29:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
I think that the only thing that is still necessary for PI on Wormhole is a place for each player store and gather their things separatly from the rest of corp before hauling...
So meke a personal place on corporate hangars, or some new kind of structure!!
Zedia Zhane
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1796 - 2011-12-02 11:39:32 UTC
From the dev blog:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=2899

" The Customs Office Gantry itself is a 9600 m3 compact structure that is manufactured in assembly lines in stations (for exact materials, see the Material Shopping List) and must be anchored no further than 100,000 km from the planet."

I just tried to anchor a Gantry 86,000 km from a planet, and got a message saying it can't be anchored more than 5,666 km from the planet. I suppose, technically, it is true that it "must be anchored no further than 100,000 km from the planet." But that statement is, at best, highly misleading.

Also, there's a known bug with Amarr outposts.

"The taxes you paid before can be translated into this new system, and that would equal 5% tax in a player owned customs office. So, if you set the tax to 5% you will pay the exact same as before." (boldface emphasis is mine).

So changing it by a factor of 100x apparently qualifies as "the exact same." In the way that 10 is exactly the same as 1,000.

Note that neither of these "facts" was amended, clarified, or changed in the follow-up dev blog here:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3075
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1797 - 2011-12-03 05:22:15 UTC
CCP could you please confirm you are still monitoring this thread for post feature deployment feedback??

CCP you are bad at EVE... Stop potential silliness ~ Solo Wulf

Kblackjack54
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1798 - 2011-12-03 17:46:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Kblackjack54
Seems CCP is not monitoring this thread in any meaningful way, otherwise they would have canned this really bad idea before now.

As I understood it PI was originally introduced as a new facet of enterprise that players could if they wished engage in, and oddly in spite of it's awful original format a lot did and till this latest patch continued to do so.

Removal of the original CO's has utterly destroyed this free enterprise ideal in favour of another of these half baked leverage ideas of CCP that making them PoS will in some way force players to engage in PvP, along the same vein as the removal of multiple Jump Bridges from systems.

That idea in it's self highlighted the failure of CCP to understand it's player base or indeed the game EVE at all, odd as they claim to have created it.

So maybe I can give them a pointer as to were to go look.

The Average player in EVE does not once past the initial stages instantly blossom into some rabid PvP killing machine, most in fact move into other areas quite quickly following a fairly fixed pattern using skills they acquired in that initial phase such as Industry/Missions/Manufacture ect.

In doing this they will due to the nature of the game invoke the risk of having to engage in PvP at some level, but considering the investment of time alone they have already expended in getting were they are this is something that expends there hard earned resources and ISK in a manner that detracts from there objectives, that of expanding there play in the field they have chosen for themselves and will be AVOIDED at all costs, hence the reason that only gate camping faggots gained from the Jump bridge nerf.

The results of this are that there play experience is diminished in value and they soon begin to feel that what they are doing is not worth the effort, considering that it may have taken them a long time to get that far only to have everything that they have worked for removed at a whim by CCP has only one end result in the long term, they move on from EVE.

It is quite obvious that this change has been aimed at Losec/0.0 alone to encourage conflict or add another aspect to system attacks during sov warfare, but in truth who is going to care about customs platforms except KM whores, PI has already almost died out as an occupation in these areas anyway except possibly for Plasma planets, almost all PoS fuel items are manufactured in Empire and shipped and this change will in my opinion just seal the fate of ex-empire PI totally.

Possibly CCP you might like to get a grasp of what actually makes players play EVE at all and factor that into your ideas process before expending time and effort on such ill thought out changes to the game and for now until you have matured in your thought process put this idea on the back burner.

There is a way to make PI mean something across EVE, but it it not this.
Captain Byte
RingWorld Engineering
#1799 - 2011-12-05 02:41:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Byte
Anishoara wrote:
I try to understand something about taxes now, and after.

Today, for example :

1 UNIT of Precious Metal = 0.76 ISK in taxes to export

Tomorrow, with an Interbus Custom Office :

1 UNIT of Precious Metal = 500 ISK (base taxe) x 17% (interbus taxe) = 85 ISK ?

Import taxes are reasonable, but 17% export tax ?!??! That's ridiculous. And VERY little difference between CO and command center launches. There needs to be a way around these taxes. Do you need a CO to import, or can you do it without one? Also, if there is no CO, can you launch to space from the spaceport? Makes sense you could. If so, just destroy the NPC CO at planets that don't need imports, and not replace them.

This change is driving me out of the PI business, as I need to invest ~1B isk, after I kill all the NPC CO's, to be able to profitably do this. Even with the recent price inflation of 80%. That's like a year to pay back, and since I'm not using battleships in the wormhole, almost a whole day to kill the NPC CO. Good luck with that!
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1800 - 2011-12-05 06:57:27 UTC
WE NEED A WAY TO CHANGE THE TARGET WALLET FOR PI TAX INCOME !!!!