These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Docking/Undocking Animation

First post
Author
Muad 'dib
Digital Ghosts
#101 - 2013-05-01 13:13:28 UTC
I wouldn't mind so much about WiS if i could run out my cell, leap into my pod watch the pod dock into my ship somehow and the ship leave the hangers and out into space - in one non stop animation :D

Totally worth the extra seconds

+1
+1

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#102 - 2013-05-01 13:26:04 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
This is the one Im really looking forward to.

But all of a sudden it hit me: While I would love to see my ship fly towards the exit of its hangar and towards the main docking/undocking bay of the station, such an animation would take alot more time than a loading bar so it would probably not be very well recieved by the more *get down to bussiness* players.

Would you mind taking a few seconds longer to dock/undock in the name of immersion?
And if not: What animation could CCP possibly add that only takes about the same time the current undock does and still feels realistic?


If there's a hotkey to skip it and opt for the loading bar if it's quicker, and an on/off toggle in the game menu, I see no problem with the feature.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Mathrin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#103 - 2013-05-01 13:46:38 UTC
Why not just combine the load screen and session change timer to one animation. IE load screen time is your ship moving just inside the exit on its way out. Then during that invul period you slide just out of the station exit.
Esharan
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#104 - 2013-05-01 14:08:08 UTC
CCP Sisyphus wrote:
/me prepares to take notes.



Here's my feedback.

1. Do not make it optional. If you are going to add a docking/undocking animation it has to be universal and you gotta just go for it full throttle, do not half arse, everyone needs to have the same undock/dock time regardless of whether they want it or not.

2. Yes, create a more immersive dock/undock animation. Loading bars are so 2003. EVE has always been an evolving game, and in every way EVE matures year after year. Part of that maturity has been improved immersion. It's time to close the loop, realistic docking/undocking is long overdue.

3. Make it as quick as possible without being corny. A typical undock takes what, 3-6 seconds? Standardize the undock time to 5 seconds, make a neat little quick animation of the ship flying out to the exit and then you are pooped into space. I'm not all that creative but you get my drift. WE WILL ADAPT to the undock times, strategies for "Station camping" WILL ADAPT...players always adapt.

Docking you have more time as far as I'm concerned, once your ship is accepted you can't be targeted anyway so do what you want with the docking animation as far as i'm concerned; however I'd still keep it 6 seconds or less.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#105 - 2013-05-01 14:12:17 UTC
Muad 'dib wrote:
I wouldn't mind so much about WiS if i could run out my cell, leap into my pod watch the pod dock into my ship somehow and the ship leave the hangers and out into space - in one non stop animation :D

Totally worth the extra seconds

+1
+1

actually benny ohu has a magic ring that transforms his clothes into a skintight suit when he says the codephrase and poses

i'll write it into my bio later
Lfod Shi
Lfod's Ratting and Salvage
#106 - 2013-05-01 14:12:41 UTC
(Didn't read all of previous 6 pages....)

How bout a manual or auto option? Auto spits you out current way. Manual makes you fly out by yerself.

♪ They'll always be bloodclaws to me ♫

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#107 - 2013-05-01 14:17:44 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=059gbfT706s

This is a video from the very first version of Air Combat / Ace Combat on the PSX and it shows what I would really like to see from a hanger / undocking experience, rather than the current "My spaceship is alone in a hanger the size of a small moon"

You'll notice you can scroll through your planes (in our case, ships) and when one is selected it taxis out.

Clearly EVE visuals would be several orders of magnitude better than the video I gave, but the 'taxi out' is something I would really like to see.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#108 - 2013-05-01 14:24:34 UTC
As a side note to those mentioning watching your pod filled with goo fly over to the ship... in the new trailer the capsuleer pilot does not appear to be in a pod, or if they are it is not one filled with goo.

I believe lore is going to be updated soon concerning the mechanics of pods and how mind transference works at the point of death. I would not be surprised if pods remain, but are no longer filled with goo or a necessary part of the transference.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Logan LaMort
Screaming Hayabusa
#109 - 2013-05-01 15:27:09 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
As a side note to those mentioning watching your pod filled with goo fly over to the ship... in the new trailer the capsuleer pilot does not appear to be in a pod, or if they are it is not one filled with goo.

I believe lore is going to be updated soon concerning the mechanics of pods and how mind transference works at the point of death. I would not be surprised if pods remain, but are no longer filled with goo or a necessary part of the transference.


I kind of took the part were they died and became capsuleers as having their clones stored in a clone bay, that you'd awaken in after pod death.

The bit where she's piloting a ship however, seemed to me like how she'd experience it in her mind while in the pod, so it wasn't a literal representation of the pilot in a pod as how we'd view them from outside, but a glimpse at what they 'see' while 'unconscious' plugged into the ship. Kind of like being plugged into one of the VR training programs in the Matrix, the program in this case being the view from outside the ship with holographic controls floating around you. This would probably make it a lot more natural for non Jovian interaction with the Pod and ship functions.
YuuKnow
The Scope
#110 - 2013-05-02 00:10:25 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
This is the one Im really looking forward to.

But all of a sudden it hit me: While I would love to see my ship fly towards the exit of its hangar and towards the main docking/undocking bay of the station, such an animation would take alot more time than a loading bar so it would probably not be very well recieved by the more *get down to bussiness* players.

Would you mind taking a few seconds longer to dock/undock in the name of immersion?
And if not: What animation could CCP possibly add that only takes about the same time the current undock does and still feels realistic?


Doesn't have to be real-time. A sped up '1st person view" through the station ending at the mouth of the station is probably immersive enough to be accepted, cool-looking, and not contribute to docking time significantly.

yk
Posta Wifda Mosta
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#111 - 2013-05-02 00:39:33 UTC
I think little tug boat bots should pull your ship to the exit and then release you just as you transition to space. The larget your ship the more bots tugging you.
Dubstepcat
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#112 - 2013-05-02 00:41:16 UTC
There should be an entire skill tree for docking and undocking. Basically every level of Docking would lower the default time (of probably 60 seconds) by 5 seconds. Then you'd have some advanced skill, called some stupid name like: "RCS maneuvering" or maybe "Reaction Control Systems" which would bring it down an additional 5 seconds or a percentage per level.

Another bonus could be that you could pay with aurum if you wanted a tug to instead pull you in, which would easily cost $1 USD per docking/undocking. An even better idea, an automatic teleportation docking, at the mere cost of a plex.


EDIT: why am I giving CCP ideas with my trollpost
Montevius Williams
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2013-05-02 00:52:58 UTC
Is there a video of the new docking and undocking animation or is it still a WIP?

"The American Government indoctrination system known as public education has been relentlessly churning out socialists for over 20 years". - TravisWB

Cekle Skyscales
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2013-05-02 01:42:30 UTC
Since the third person view of the ship is controlled by remote cameras, why not have the camera view stay anchored in the station and you watch your ship peel out of the station in 5 seconds, then have the screen fade to black, then fade back in from the rear of the ship as you exit the station?

This preserves immersion as the fade to black indicates time passing, and is less resource intensive than redoing stations to have a short journey from dock to undock.
Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2013-05-02 03:13:45 UTC
Dubstepcat wrote:
There should be an entire skill tree for docking and undocking. Basically every level of Docking would lower the default time (of probably 60 seconds) by 5 seconds. Then you'd have some advanced skill, called some stupid name like: "RCS maneuvering" or maybe "Reaction Control Systems" which would bring it down an additional 5 seconds or a percentage per level.

Another bonus could be that you could pay with aurum if you wanted a tug to instead pull you in, which would easily cost $1 USD per docking/undocking. An even better idea, an automatic teleportation docking, at the mere cost of a plex.


EDIT: why am I giving CCP ideas with my trollpost

I disagree. CCP should make a system in which you could pay 2000 Aurum to be auto-teleported and docked in Jita no matter where you are or what you're doing. Titan about to blow up? Aurum time! 80 jumps out? Aurum time! This would make CCP money.
Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2013-05-02 07:42:20 UTC
As for the transitions and removal of all loading bars: When I will have uninterrupted access to my NeoCom (especially chat - no focus loss or lost keystroke), I'd be very happy. The duration of them is secondary to me.

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#117 - 2013-05-02 08:51:53 UTC
they could easily fit an animation instead of that loading bar for docking/undocking, they could make a 3 cut short animation, first where you enter the capsule with your avatar 1 sec, then cut, nex the capsule flies to the ship 1 sec cut, then the ship flies through the station 1,5 seconds cut, just short flashing cuts until you are in space
Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#118 - 2013-05-02 09:06:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Sable Moran
KuroVolt wrote:
Would you mind taking a few seconds longer to dock/undock in the name of immersion?


I definitely would mind.
EDIT: Why do I mind? My play style involves occasionally (but frequently enough) to dock/undock dozens of time in a short amount of time. Any extra time spent there is not welcome.

KuroVolt wrote:
What animation could CCP possibly add that only takes about the same time the current undock does and still feels realistic?


I'd be OK with an animation where the ship starts flying towards the exit tunnel and the animation stops the very second the game has stopped loading the environment (and what not) outside the station.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Uzbeg Khan
Henehen Conflict Logistics
#119 - 2013-05-02 09:10:07 UTC
Docking/jump graphics and station interiors are very important aspects of the game.

Things I hate: - Signatures - Irony - Lists

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2013-05-02 09:46:38 UTC
CCP Sisyphus wrote:
/me prepares to take notes.


Some windows might be nice, or some other way of knowing what's outside the station before undocking.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.