These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Problem with the Caldari State

Author
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#61 - 2011-10-24 13:15:30 UTC
Nakal Ashera wrote:
Mithfindel wrote:
I would like to return to the assumption in the original post suggesting that because in the Gallentean model corporations are generally considered just a part of the society they are thus subservient of the society. As we well remember, the extrademocratic Black Eagles attempted some time ago to take over some corporate assets, but were rebuffed by corporate security. Several corporations presented their demands, leading to the end of the Foiritain presidency. At the moment, the principal owner and - I admit not checking - chairman of the board of Roden Shipyards is the Executor of the Gallente State, backed by the military-industrial complex.

You're mistaken; He doesn't run in the company. Hasn't for years.

It is run by his granddaughter, Miloise Roden.

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Mithfindel
Zenko Incorporated
#62 - 2011-10-24 17:24:19 UTC
Nakal Ashera wrote:
You're mistaken; He doesn't run in the company. Hasn't for years.

Furthermore, as far as I am aware, the old man still holds the stock, even if the granddaughter is at the helm. While I, too, have great trust in my relatives, I would be somewhat interested on what the corporation I own does even if I had a relative running the corporation. That, and I cannot help to notice that Mme Miloise has kept recently well out of the spotlight, even when her corporation was raided by the Federal Intelligence Office goons.
Bastian Valoron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2011-10-24 20:32:08 UTC
Bataav wrote:
The General, it seems, is a creature of habit and has therefore become disappointingly predictable.

He will, when the notion takes him, address the Summit with an inflamitory diatribe that gives voice to his own narrow world view of one topic or another. After lighting the proverbial touchpaper, the General will then retreat to a safe distance and watch the fireworks as others with an actual interest in the subject matter, debate and argue. Were those of us who engage in intelligent debate to pause for a moment I'd not be surprised if we were to hear him giggling to himself in the corner at the supposed mirth he feels he's generated. After all it's rare he returns to a discussion once it's generated it's own momentum.

Of course, in his pursuit for personal amusement, the General has failed to realise he's actually redundant in his efforts. The Summit doesn't need a jester-type character to poke and prod at the audience hoping to stir up another cholar inducing arguement between the various factions present here. There are already plenty of us who are fully invested enough to willingly defend our chosen cause should they be challenged without his attempts at influencing the debate.

In the months I've been a diplomatic representative of the ILF, encountering the General's "thoughts for the day" more times than I care to remember, I've learned to disregard them as little more than poorly disguised attempts to bait the rest of us into fighting amongst ourselves for his pleasure.

Inhonores would do well to take a lesson from his own daughter.

It's telling when an 11 year old child has the presence of mind to publically apologise for attacking another, despite the honourable intent behind the offensive actions, while a General of the Federation appears to blunder from one public outburst to another in a manner unbefitting of his rank.
I appreciate the courage of monsieur en Gravonere to finally come out and show the true face of the Intaki separatism.

When their own charismatic establishment disturbs the harmony of the Intergalactic Summit with inflammatory propaganda, they are singing songs of praise. But when someone makes the mistake of expressing a view which doesn't please them, they start calling names, spewing out ad hominem strawmen attacks and demanding people to withdraw from public discussion.

Clearly, if they got their way, there would be no freedom of expression, speech or opinion. I'm glad that the majority of their bloodline have been able to see through the bluff all the time.
Bataav
Intaki Liberation Front
Intaki Prosperity Initiative
#64 - 2011-10-25 08:03:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Bataav
Bastian Valoron wrote:
I appreciate the courage of monsieur en Gravonere to finally come out and show the true face of the Intaki separatism.

When their own charismatic establishment disturbs the harmony of the Intergalactic Summit with inflammatory propaganda, they are singing songs of praise. But when someone makes the mistake of expressing a view which doesn't please them, they start calling names, spewing out ad hominem strawmen attacks and demanding people to withdraw from public discussion.

Clearly, if they got their way, there would be no freedom of expression, speech or opinion. I'm glad that the majority of their bloodline have been able to see through the bluff all the time.

Mr Voloron, despite it being an apparant tradition of the Summit for the intended topic of debate to become distracted by another, we are not concerned with Intaki secession here, though I'm more than happy to explore it with you elsewhere should you wish to. That said, I shall respond quickly so that the discussion of the State's system can continue.

My criticism of the General, as quoted, is not an attempt to stifle debate or demand he withdraw from public discussion. Quite the contrary. I, and no doubt others would prefer it if he actually discussed a subject he raises. Unfortunately though, as I highlighted, along with those who had responded before me, and it's curious you have not found fault with them for doing so, it is clear that discussion and debate is not what the General had in mind when he made his opening statements. It is my view that the intent was to create conflict.

I would have more respect for him were he to return to defend his statements, were he to explore the counter points made by others, were he to engage in the discussion. But he does not. I invite you to look through past debates in the Summit records, including the archives, that were started by the speeches for which he has become known. It's a rare event for him to actually and meaningfully engage with those who respond to what are invariably highly provocative and confrontational statements.

Mr Voloron, for your accusation that I'm demanding the General remove himself from meaningful debate to be true, he'd have to actually start.

I also recommend you research the Intaki secessionists a little more before making assertions we seek to block public discussion. It might make interesting reading if we are to debate together in the future. We have an established presence here in the Summit as we focus on debating the issue, not trying to sweep it away. After all our mandate is one of peaceful secession through diplomacy. Public and open discussion is what we do.

It amuses me that you should try to reference the Suresha's comments on the flaws behind Roden's presidency and the questions of it's legitimacy because of the issue of voting rights (or lack of) and then go on to accuse us of seeking to restrict "freedom of expression, speech or opinion." When we consider the long political history between the Federation and Intaki, especially the subject of secession the irony of your comments are certainly not lost on me. Perhaps though this final point is more suited to the discussion currently exploring the Intaki Syndicate, including among other things, it's founding by those Intaki expelled from their homes for expressing their political will.