These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1741 - 2013-09-23 14:37:38 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
Was the proposal that the ship disappears from local when it cloaks or just that it does not appear in local when it has a cloak fitted? Because if it were the latter, you know that cloaks would be standard fit for all pve ships and perhaps all ships. If it was the former, even cloaky ships would be visible in local during gate jumps as the decloak.

I seriously doubt cloaks would become the norm on PvP ships. After all they come with a substantial nerf to targeting times, or did you conveniently forget about that?
For starters, bombers don't get a delay. Secondly, any competent covops pilot will deactivate cloak while in warp so they can target when they've landed, giving the target the minimal time to react.

Gee, since I was talking about ships that are not designed for the cov-ops cloak I suppose this post is a complete non-sequitur.

Better luck next time.
I see. But the argument I've always put forward is that covops cloaking ships would become the ship of choice for PvP should the local changes go ahead as you've said. Obviously any ship not on local will have an advantage, so why would you chose a PvP ship that would show on local, when you've got the option of not?

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1742 - 2013-09-23 14:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Quote:
Azrael Dinn wrote:
Aivo Dresden wrote:
Sorry, I'm just not seeing the problem. A guy AFKing in local is causing all the residents to dock up out of fear of losing their ships? So basically what you're saying is that the local dudes want more risk free income and since the cloaker is a threat, he needs to be penalized?

I'm just really not seeing the whole argument against it, except for some people crying because it interrupts their 0.0 PvE income. If you want to make ISK and if you want to PvE without worries or possibilities of getting ganked, go back to empire. :-/

it's not that simple.

Giving people a way to find cloaked ship is not penalizing it's creating active gamaplay. If the cloaker is moving it's nerly impossible to find thim.

So for the active player the new probes add nothing, depending on how it works. Done badly it would nerf cloaks for active cloakers like a bombing squadron, or somebody gathering intel, or getting a cyno into a particularly heavily camped system.

Quote:
But on the other notes why should the industrialist be punished cause of one person / alt. Why is that ok? What makes claoking tactics something that is so much more precious than other gameplay. Many cloakers have said that they cannot get targets killed without cloaked ships cause PvErs and industrialists go for great lenghts to avoid pvp. Well there is an simple solution to that also... go fight people who want to fight back but back to cloaking and risk vs. reward what seems to be the topic here and fear tactics whats one of the main reasons this is happening. It's effective and cloakers have said that them selfs.

Oh for God's sake. Punished? Really? Occasionally losing a ship is a reasonable expectation in null sec. At least to me. Are you saying that to lose a ship in null is really punishment?

Quote:
Why cannot I find the cloaked ship even if I wanted to?

Because their cloaked? Roll Which also means they can't activate any modules or do any harm to you.

Yes, yes I know CYNO and they get to choose when to engage. So, that is how it is for most PvE players (except for the unlucky and the inexprienced) and they always choose not too.

How about this, you can find them, but now cloaked ships can target you, shoot you, and activate all modules while cloaked? Sound good?

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1743 - 2013-09-23 14:41:56 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
So for the active player the new probes add nothing, depending on how it works. Done badly it would nerf cloaks for active cloakers like a bombing squadron, or somebody gathering intel, or getting a cyno into a particularly heavily camped system.
Even AFK cloakers can set themselves to move forever.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Oh for God's sake. Punished? Really? Occasionally losing a ship is a reasonable expectation in null sec. At least to me. Are you saying that to lose a ship in null is really punishment?
If cloakers were removed from local it would be far from "occasionally".

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1744 - 2013-09-23 14:43:49 UTC
Aivo Dresden wrote:
And how would the cloaker get a multi billion kill?

Good question...I thought that guy was AFK and AFK cloaking lead to precisely zero kills? I'm confused now too.

Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1745 - 2013-09-23 14:45:04 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
I did not write that. You messed up the attribution quoting function Lucas.
My bad, now fixed.

Thanks, I know how easy it can be to do that. Ugh

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1746 - 2013-09-23 15:14:19 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Firstly, a cloaker can drop an indy char pretty quick. Secondly, why should I have to have an alt, while the cloaker doesn't? THIRDLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - How does removing AFK cloakers affect that IN THE SLIGHTEST? I'm not asking for ANY changes to active cloakers, so they can continue as normal.

How do you know he doesn't have an alt. Maybe he does and is watching for help to arrive so he can try to get out if it does or will before he can kill his target? Maybe its a BLOPs for a fast exit? Just a cloaked scout one jump out could be very, very helpful in the right context.

The bottom line is the more information, the better. Local gives quite a bit of information already. Using an alt increases your information and the time you get it, depending on how you use that alt. This is true for both the PvP player and the PvE player. It is one reason many people have alts, to provide extra intel.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1747 - 2013-09-23 15:21:19 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Firstly, a cloaker can drop an indy char pretty quick. Secondly, why should I have to have an alt, while the cloaker doesn't? THIRDLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - How does removing AFK cloakers affect that IN THE SLIGHTEST? I'm not asking for ANY changes to active cloakers, so they can continue as normal.

How do you know he doesn't have an alt. Maybe he does and is watching for help to arrive so he can try to get out if it does or will before he can kill his target? Maybe its a BLOPs for a fast exit? Just a cloaked scout one jump out could be very, very helpful in the right context.

The bottom line is the more information, the better. Local gives quite a bit of information already. Using an alt increases your information and the time you get it, depending on how you use that alt. This is true for both the PvP player and the PvE player. It is one reason many people have alts, to provide extra intel.

I don't know he doesn't. But he doesn't require an alt.
I'm being told I should have to protect myself with an alt, since mining barges are incapable of self defense, while a potential ganker doesn't need one.
I mean the whole subject is beside the point, but I get a bit fed up of being told everything's "too easy" for us indies.
You also missed this big capital letters clearly stating most importantly.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1748 - 2013-09-23 15:23:05 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

I'm being told I should have to protect myself with an alt, since mining barges are incapable of self defense, while a potential ganker doesn't need one.
I mean the whole subject is beside the point, but I get a bit fed up of being told everything's "too easy" for us indies.

Who says you have to have an alt? Why can't a corpmate do it?

As for things being too easy, you are the one that said all you do is look at local and achieve perfect safety
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1749 - 2013-09-23 15:24:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Aivo Dresden wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Aivo Dresden wrote:
I just don't understand why you don't want to protect your industry. :( Obviously a PvE ship will die fast to a PvP ship, so the obvious solution would be to protect your PvE investments, with a PvP ship.
Simple economics. If I have to run 2 accounts just to protect me from 1 ship, I may as well run 2 accounts in high sec, for more isk.
Now while I don't mind spending an hour or two out fighting with pirates, AFK cloakers spend 24 hours a day in system, occasionally becoming active to gank a miner. They are simply not efficient to attempt to bait out.

In your opinion, how many of these miners are active? Wouldn't a hulk with 2 stabs be able to warp out and avoid a ship loss without too much problems?

Sure, if all you wanted to do is mine, but there are other ways of making isk in null where 2 alts is great. Heck, I have 4 in null doing this!

Edit: Let me expand on the above--I mean you can have an alt for both scouting and making isk at pretty much the same time without much extra fuss.

And if you were to mine in a venture as Nikk suggests you might end up "beating the AFK cloaker" by sending him elsewhere to try and cultivate target opportunities. Because if you aren't presenting worthwhile and too difficult opportunities for them, they may very well move on. Of course, if they are there for resource denial alone, then you are still beating them as well.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1750 - 2013-09-23 15:27:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Going to echo The Gunslinger....didn't you say you did not need one to achieve a significant degree of safety already?

Edit: If a cloaked ship is removed from local if and only if its cloak is activated, then there are times when the character will appear in local. Second if there is at least a probe that tells you if a ship is in system and you don't see the guy in local, then an alt could still provide useful intel.

So if you are in a dead end pipe, for example, and put that alt out there scanning away, he could very well spot that cloaky and give you time to GTFO to safety.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1751 - 2013-09-23 15:35:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

Right here:
Aivo Dresden wrote:
You know there are places in 0.0 where this isn't a problem at all right? You know how they got rid of the cloakers? You guessed it, they kept their own PvP alts handy and killed them every time they tried to pull a move.

But sure, how about you keep refusing to adapt, keep refusing to take a PvP alt with you, keep losing your ships and keep complaining about it here instead. Sounds like a much better idea.

TheGunslinger42 wrote:
As for things being too easy, you are the one that said all you do is look at local and achieve perfect safety
Sure! That's all!
I look at local, and upon sight of an enemy, my ship appears in station automatically with no effort on my part. There's no chance anything will happen, there's no chance he'll be in an interceptor fit to catch me. I'm automatically safe.
Also, when I mine, I mine ISK directly. I don't need to ship it through several systems, pack it all into a jump freighters and sell it, everything just automatically turns into isk, which I then bathe in.

Stop assuming everything is super easy. Just because I can keep myself safe DOES NOT mean it's without effort. I can keep a covops ships 100% safe as well, while sill ganking some ships. I guess that must be easy too then. even more easily, I can keep my exploration Helios 100% safe as he completes hacking and archaeology sites. He's never even been seen by an enemy, let alone caught, and he's making isk from that one! BAN HELIOS!

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1752 - 2013-09-23 15:43:59 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Going to echo The Gunslinger....didn't you say you did not need one to achieve a significant degree of safety already?
See above post. One part of what I do to earn isk is safe, though my effort. But that isn't the end. I don't have ISK at that point, I have a few million m3 of minerals.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Edit: If a cloaked ship is removed from local if and only if its cloak is activated, then there are times when the character will appear in local. Second if there is at least a probe that tells you if a ship is in system and you don't see the guy in local, then an alt could still provide useful intel.

So if you are in a dead end pipe, for example, and put that alt out there scanning away, he could very well spot that cloaky and give you time to GTFO to safety.
Sure, you could do this, but then local is all fudged up for fleet battles or solo players, covops are now the best solo PvP ship for null, and nothing else has been achieved.
-Since everyone can just log an alt and scan, all industry characters will do this, so they will continue to safe up.
-Solo characters would need help to exist though.
-Covops would become the default piracy ship (since it's the only one that disappears off of local until the last second). This is think the the biggest point here, since a covops is not supposed to be a heavy combat vessel, it's a scout. Combat ships should be the ones favoured by pirates.
-Large fleets would have a mission of a time figuring how many are in local, who is in local, and how many times they are about to get bombed. Undoubtedly an out of game intel tool would be made to combat this. And any time an out of game tool is built it shows a lack of ability of the EVE mechanics, which is bad.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1753 - 2013-09-23 15:45:15 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

Right here:
Aivo Dresden wrote:
You know there are places in 0.0 where this isn't a problem at all right? You know how they got rid of the cloakers? You guessed it, they kept their own PvP alts handy and killed them every time they tried to pull a move.

But sure, how about you keep refusing to adapt, keep refusing to take a PvP alt with you, keep losing your ships and keep complaining about it here instead. Sounds like a much better idea.

TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Sure! That's all!
I look at local, and upon sight of an enemy, my ship appears in station automatically with no effort on my part. There's no chance anything will happen, there's no chance he'll be in an interceptor fit to catch me. I'm automatically safe.
Also, when I mine, I mine ISK directly. I don't need to ship it through several systems, pack it all into a jump freighters and sell it, everything just automatically turns into isk, which I then bathe in.

Stop assuming everything is super easy. Just because I can keep myself safe DOES NOT mean it's without effort. I can keep a covops ships 100% safe as well, while sill ganking some ships. I guess that must be easy too then. even more easily, I can keep my exploration Helios 100% safe as he completes hacking and archaeology sites. He's never even been seen by an enemy, let alone caught, and he's making isk from that one! BAN HELIOS!

See local change
Press warp button

Thats virtually no effort at all brah.

And it doesn't matter how fast my ship is, or how much effort I put in, you see me before I see you and press warp. By your own admission, unless something funky happens like getting stuck on a rock, you are able to evade at least 99% of the time.
JIeoH Mocc
brotherhood of desman
#1754 - 2013-09-23 15:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: JIeoH Mocc
If you read your security channel, and/or warp out as soon as someone enters, there's no inty in the world that will catch you.
It's not feasible. 99%.
Even if you see you are bumping into stuff, even then you can correct it in time. Where's your balance now?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1755 - 2013-09-23 16:00:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
See local change
Press warp button

Thats virtually no effort at all brah.

And it doesn't matter how fast my ship is, or how much effort I put in, you see me before I see you and press warp. By your own admission, unless something funky happens like getting stuck on a rock, you are able to evade at least 99% of the time.
That's still not effort free, and still no different from any other ship.
And further, mining is NOT the whole of the job. I don't end up with ISK after mining, which you seem to ignore. Freighting is not even close to risk free.
With the example about the helios, a covops ship that can easily gain materials with more security that my mining barge, and can ship with relative safety back to any hub due to it's small size and covops cloak. So why is that not a problem?

You seem to be pressing on the same thing which is you don't get what YOU WANT from your input. That's not my fault, that's your fault.

EDIT: and on top of that, a local change with a new intel tool would be just as easy to avoid you with. So why push for a change that leaves the dynamic between you and me the same, but breaks null for solo pilots and fleet combat?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1756 - 2013-09-23 16:06:15 UTC
JIeoH Mocc wrote:
If you read your security channel, and/or warp out as soon as someone enters, there's no inty in the world that will catch you.
It's not feasible. 99%.
Even if you see you are bumping into stuff, even then you can correct it in time. Where's your balance now?
Well that's incorrect. I've seen it happen. In fact it happened to a guy in my corp: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=19540527

Hulk wasn't aligned. He warped the moment the local ticked up. Didn't bump into anything, but the inty got there in time to drop him from warp.

Align times on an Exhumer are high, and it's not feasible to circular align in a grav (except the small, that's usually straightforward).

JIeoH Mocc
brotherhood of desman
#1757 - 2013-09-23 16:15:19 UTC  |  Edited by: JIeoH Mocc
Appalling. 3 seconds for the craptor to warp, 3 to land, 2-3 in warp... Guess if you don't align you have to pay some times.
Your corpmate is terribad, and I'd give you a hint on how to avoid this kind of a scenario but you have too much security as is.
So it's feasible in case you're bad, but still highly unlikely ?
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1758 - 2013-09-23 16:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Aivo Dresden wrote:

I've lived in 0.0 and I've lost a few ratting ships to single recons ganking me. You know what I did about it? I went to a system 4-5 jumps away from the station, on route to a dead end system. I took my own PvP alt with me, when I wanted to go make some ISK. You know what happened next time a recon tried to gank me? He got BBQ'd. After 2-3 times, I never saw him again. I didn't care if you're there AFK in local. Why should i? As soon as I see you uncloak next to me though, my alt will warp in and I'll gank you right back.

If it's just a Covops anyway, then why do you bother? Should a cyno go up, you get out. This really isn't a problem, unless you're of course AFK mining / ratting yourself. In which case I can totally understand your problem.

Yes, get out when you have been pointed and cyno is up. Good luck with that. Take out the cyno ship to kill the point first. While you lock or warp in the pvp alt, the hotdrop is already in progress. As you lock the cyno ship and your pvp alt lands on grid to lock it, hostile forces are already appearing on grid and pointing you. So the cyno ship and its point goes down but your ship is now pointed by at least three other ships now and more ships are appearing on grid. So "Should a cyno go up, you get out." does not work in practice. By ignoring a hostile fitted with the cyno, you have zero chance of escaping as the stealth bomber instantly locks and points and cynos you.

So the great issue of afk redirects to the great issue of cyno hotdrops because we all know how to adapt ourselves to deal with local hostiles. Some effective solution regarding the cyno must be imposed to address the hotdrop. Prevent the cyno from activating for 10 seconds after the cloak is dropped. Reduce the scan res of any ship fitting a cyno by - 75%. Increase the scan signature of any ship with a cyno activated by 200%. Increase the lock time by 10 seconds when the cyno is activated. Limit the cyno with a mass limit. Shorten the bridge range of Titans or remove Titan bridging altogether.

Address the cyno bridging and I will have no issue with afk cloakers. Let them afk cloak as long as they wish.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1759 - 2013-09-23 16:26:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
JIeoH Mocc wrote:
Appalling. 3 seconds for the craptor to warp, 3 to land, 2-3 in warp... Guess if you don't align you have to pay some times.
Your corpmate is terribad, and I'd give you a hint on how to avoid this kind of a scenario but you have too much security as is.
So it's feasible in case you're bad, but still highly unlikely ?
Since even well fitted the hulk has like a 14 second align time...

EDIT: And I have to add, again, That the killboards show that it's not uncommon. So where is this idea coming from that null is so risk free? All because I rarely get caught because I take every precaution to make sure I rarely get caught?

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1760 - 2013-09-23 16:33:55 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

Address the cyno bridging and I will have no issue with afk cloakers. Let them afk cloak as long as they wish.

Just to reiterate. A cloaked ship with a cyno and an AFK pilot cannot activate that cyno. So, you are upset about either the active cloaker and y ou want to nerf covert ops ships (bombers, force recons, etc.) or you are upset by the uncertainty.

Right? Just want to be perfectly clear on this.