These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1121 - 2013-09-13 21:38:24 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Neutrals and active cloakers aren't generally around 23/7
Anyway, like I said, I'm done with this thread. Literally anything you ask though, I've already answered at least twice in this thread, you guys are going in circles. So just go back, grab a quote from me and use that to answer your repeated questions.

Back to /thread

So, they could show up at any moment. And if people in your alliance/coalition are lazy or there is an open pipe, wormhole, etc. they could not show up in the intel channels. So you take necessary precautions to mitigate the risk...because you don't know when they'll show up.

It is pretty much the same argument with AFK cloaking, but instead of showing up, it is becoming active.

You take risk mitigation steps in one case, but insist on CCP resolving the risk in the other.

Do you see the problem with your position?

No, because a player just logging on or just arriving hasn't had a chance to find out my entire fleet composition, weak spots and best way to strike. A player who is AFK most of the day can still find these out during the hour or two he's active. Seriously though. Done.

A player just coming back to the keyboard has not learned those things either, as you note. And you appear to be insisting on continuing with your pre-AFK cloaker behavior. Clearly that is not an optimal strategy....nor is it one you'd actually pursue. You'd pick one of several different alternative behaviors designed to deal with the AFK cloaker.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1122 - 2013-09-13 21:48:16 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

But the probes in this situation don't technically return nothing. The lack of a result is intel in and of itself - and very valuable intel at that. It tells you "hey, this dude is active and moving around". It adds more intel into a system which already has too much intel in the first place. These probes also pose massive issues for numerous "active" playstyles, as we've already mentioned - bombing runs, strategic perches, watching hostile fleet movements, etc. Even if you go to the extreme and say "it takes these probes one hour to find someone", that still puts a hard limit on how long those other activities are possible.

Lets make it 3 hours, and when you fit that probe launcher no cloak, no docking, no POSing up, and you are stationary. Like lighting a 3 hour long cyno. And the build requirements mean this is a very, very expensive hull. 2 billion at current market prices. After all this is going to be a ship that has the most sophisticated electronics suite in the game...so sophisticated it will let you nail a ship with a covert ops cloak.

Also your probes show up on overview and the galaxy map.

If a ship were introduced like this, why I'd have to consider "AFK cloaking" just for the fun of nailing these things and dropping fleets on them. Twisted

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Lupus Aurelius
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1123 - 2013-09-14 20:03:54 UTC
To me, the issue with afk cloaking is that the player doesn't have to do anything. They can cloak up for the day, and go shopping, fap, wutever, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. There's no risk, and it's a fear tactic that is incredibly effective. Now, don't get me wrong, atm I am usually in a stealth bomber, a recon, or a cloaky nullified loki. I use cloaking all the time. But I'm always on when I do it.

Simple solution that would probably satisfy most, dual timer on cloaks.

First is activation timer, and you get 15 mins of cloaking. After 15 mins, the shutdown timer activates with the cloak still on for that final minute, and you have 1 min to click the module to "reactivate" it, which if you do, sets the cloak going another 15 mins.

This still allows for people to cloak up, take a bio, make a sandwich, whatever, but you can't just leave your account logged on all day cloaked while you are at the pub or playing golf. Cloak never goes off so long as you are there to click the module during the shutdown timer, so you are able to remain cloaked the whole time you are active.

You actually have to be present and playing. And paying attention.
Vas Eldryn
#1124 - 2013-09-14 23:43:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Lupus Aurelius wrote:
To me, the issue with afk cloaking is that the player doesn't have to do anything. They can cloak up for the day, and go shopping, fap, wutever, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. There's no risk, and it's a fear tactic that is incredibly effective. Now, don't get me wrong, atm I am usually in a stealth bomber, a recon, or a cloaky nullified loki. I use cloaking all the time. But I'm always on when I do it.

First is activation timer, and you get 15 mins of cloaking. After 15 mins, the shutdown timer activates with the cloak still on for that final minute, and you have 1 min to click the module to "reactivate" it, which if you do, sets the cloak going another 15 mins.

This still allows for people to cloak up, take a bio, make a sandwich, whatever, but you can't just leave your account logged on all day cloaked while you are at the pub or playing golf. Cloak never goes off so long as you are there to click the module during the shutdown timer, so you are able to remain cloaked the whole time you are active.

I completely agree, however I think this idea, while on the right track would be too detrimental to people cloaking for reasons other then AFK cyno camping.

the idea maybe workable if you push the time up from 15 mins to 2 hours or something, if your going to be AFK for more then 2 hours, then you have the option of logging off, as your not playing.

note I say MAYBE, I don't really think this is a viable idea, but +1 for the thought
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#1125 - 2013-09-15 03:51:28 UTC
A timer has pointless to negative returns if you want to promote conflicts.

In order to do more than mess with your imagination, they need to expose themselves to risk.

Like the PvE targets they are typically after, they are wanting to have an advantage before they choose to engage.

Now, what is being glossed over is not whether or not cloaked pilots should have risk. Read the second line of this post.

What the real issue is, what risk are the PvE pilots carrying?

A point that is solidly established, is that without cloaked pilots being able to long term siege a system, the risk is trivial.

Uncloaked threats are stopped at gate camps, or else they are scanned down and forced out by reshipped pilots if not by resident PvP pilots. Those are not effective for this.

Temporary cloaking pilots can simply be waited out. They can't eject targets from a POS or outpost, and if they don't stay long enough to risk assuming them to be AFK, they have no opportunity to threaten anything. They only manage to annoy residents with inconvenience.

Assuming you can have enjoyable PvP relying on null pilots to screw up and hand you kill mails is a joke, and that group won't last in null long enough to be a statistic.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1126 - 2013-09-15 06:01:28 UTC
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

I'll agree to your suggestion when there is a timer for being AFK in station or in a POS. After all, you have to be present and plyaing...right?

Roll

Vas Eldryn
#1127 - 2013-09-15 06:06:48 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

I'll agree to your suggestion when there is a timer for being AFK in station or in a POS. After all, you have to be present and plyaing...right?

Roll

more whaa cause you cant kill a miner who doesn't want to be a target for your enjoyment
Vas Eldryn
#1128 - 2013-09-15 06:10:11 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
A timer has pointless to negative returns if you want to promote conflicts.

In order to do more than mess with your imagination, they need to expose themselves to risk.

Like the PvE targets they are typically after, they are wanting to have an advantage before they choose to engage.

Now, what is being glossed over is not whether or not cloaked pilots should have risk. Read the second line of this post.

What the real issue is, what risk are the PvE pilots carrying?

A point that is solidly established, is that without cloaked pilots being able to long term siege a system, the risk is trivial.

Uncloaked threats are stopped at gate camps, or else they are scanned down and forced out by reshipped pilots if not by resident PvP pilots. Those are not effective for this.

Temporary cloaking pilots can simply be waited out. They can't eject targets from a POS or outpost, and if they don't stay long enough to risk assuming them to be AFK, they have no opportunity to threaten anything. They only manage to annoy residents with inconvenience.

Assuming you can have enjoyable PvP relying on null pilots to screw up and hand you kill mails is a joke, and that group won't last in null long enough to be a statistic.

tried to read this 5 times, I cant make sense of it as it applies to the OP, I really just don't get it?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1129 - 2013-09-15 07:28:56 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Roll

more whaa cause you cant kill a miner who doesn't want to be a target for your enjoyment

Null sec is supposed to be risky...if you can't deal with a cloaked pilot, you are playing the wrong game.

Vas Eldryn
#1130 - 2013-09-15 07:36:44 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Roll

Null sec is supposed to be risky...if you can't deal with a cloaked pilot, you are playing the wrong game.

says who... can you quote CCP, any quote will do, or is this just your opinion?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1131 - 2013-09-15 08:23:25 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Roll

says who... can you quote CCP, any quote will do, or is this just your opinion?

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Your_first_days_in_space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q&feature=watch_response

Vas Eldryn
#1132 - 2013-09-15 08:27:49 UTC
as I thought. please don't speak for CCP, this is the ideas forum.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1133 - 2013-09-15 08:49:51 UTC
Oh I'm sorry you are correct, null sec is supposed to be perfectly safe. Roll

STFD and STFU.

Vas Eldryn
#1134 - 2013-09-15 09:11:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Teckos Pech wrote:

STFD and STFU.

please quote a CCP post that tells me I am playing the game wrong and I'll STFU, otherwise I think you should do the same!
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1135 - 2013-09-15 09:18:50 UTC
What you don't get Vas, is the OP. The OP, and the linked follow on post, is a collection of bad ideas regarding cloaks and AFK cloaking in particular. Take for example the horrible idea of a timer that you endorsed. It is horrible because as has been explained numerous times before, it impacts not just AFK players, but also active players.

The active player now has to watch his cloak module. This will impact players in bomber gangs attempting to bomb a big fleet. It will impact people doing exploration. It will impact scouts who are in neighboring systems to the main fleet who are looking out for hostiles approaching. It will impact pilots who are out gathering intel for say an upcoming invasion.

And the one group it may very well not impact are AFK cloakers. Earlier in this thread I listed all the reasons why macros are banned and guess what, having a macro click on the cloak button does not violate a single one of those reasons. So the idea is complete ****.

But here you are thinking it is good and reasonable.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1136 - 2013-09-15 09:19:58 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

STFD and STFU.

please quote a CCP post that tells me I am playing the game wrong and I'll STFU, otherwise I think you should do the same!

I did not say you are playing the game wrong, but that it is the wrong game for you.

Vas Eldryn
#1137 - 2013-09-15 09:28:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Teckos Pech wrote:
What you don't get Vas, is the OP. The OP, and the linked follow on post, is a collection of bad ideas regarding cloaks and AFK cloaking in particular. Take for example the horrible idea of a timer that you endorsed. It is horrible because as has been explained numerous times before, it impacts not just AFK players, but also active players.

The active player now has to watch his cloak module. This will impact players in bomber gangs attempting to bomb a big fleet. It will impact people doing exploration. It will impact scouts who are in neighboring systems to the main fleet who are looking out for hostiles approaching. It will impact pilots who are out gathering intel for say an upcoming invasion.

And the one group it may very well not impact are AFK cloakers. Earlier in this thread I listed all the reasons why macros are banned and guess what, having a macro click on the cloak button does not violate a single one of those reasons. So the idea is complete ****.

But here you are thinking it is good and reasonable.

read my post I did NOT endorse it... all you have is misquotes and lies.

and you still have not quoted where CCP says I am playing the game wrong according to you?

I have never endorsed a solution in any post, I challenge you to quote a full post of mine that suggests a solution!
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1138 - 2013-09-15 09:29:42 UTC
BTW, here is that part of the post I wrote about an automation process for changing a ships direction in game:

Quote:
After having read the EULA several times there is nothing in violation if a player uses an automation process to do the above as it does not violate the EULA, namely this part:

Quote:
You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.

Are any items being acquired? No.
Any currency being acquired? No.
Any objects being acquired? No.
Any character attributes being acquired? No.
Any rank or status being acquired? No.

So, not a violation.

Since the answer would still be no to all of the questions above for an automation process that clicks on the cloak module every 14.5 minutes, it too would probably not be a violation.

Also, even if it was deemed a violation, suppose I'm working from home and camping your system in a cloaked ship. Every 14.5 minutes a timer goes off that tells me to click the cloak module. And since I'm working from home I do this for 8-9 hours. How do you tell me apart from the automation process?

Sorry Vas, you just don't get the point of the opening post. It is too catalog bad ideas for solving the AFK cloaking solution. Ideas that some guy wrote in a nerd rage after having his upgraded ratting system camped for 2-3 days who doesn't give a damn about game balance.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1139 - 2013-09-15 09:32:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Lupus Aurelius wrote:

I completely agree, however I think this idea, while on the right track would be too detrimental to people cloaking for reasons other then AFK cyno camping.

the idea maybe workable if you push the time up from 15 mins to 2 hours or something, if your going to be AFK for more then 2 hours, then you have the option of logging off, as your not playing.

note I say MAYBE, I don't really think this is a viable idea, but +1 for the thought

There I helped you out with some italics, bolding and underlining where you first, completely agree (then walk that back...make up your mind will you, do you completely agree or not?). Then you suggest instead a 2 hour limit. Which is less burdensome for the active pilot, but still it negatively impacts them.

And as I've pointed out it may not even impact AFK cloakers at all.

And the idea has been suggested before. Many, many times. Even pausing to give the idea this much attention has wasted enough of your time, my time and anyone else who reads it. The only good that comes of it, is it keeps bumping this thread.

Vas Eldryn
#1140 - 2013-09-15 09:33:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Please answer my question.... I know you cant! but its just so funny reading all your misdirects.