These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#861 - 2013-09-09 21:33:25 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
The same actors continuing to assert that the workers should be continually vulnerable to hostile fleets without any warning available to them for retreat to safety.

I am continuing to assert that solo hostile frigates should not be able to call in innumerable hostiles across vast distances within sovereign space the same instant that the execute a magic decloak/point act. Fit a cloak or fit a cyno, but not both. And if a covert cyno, then they still should be scannable during their cloak.

And no, you are not entitled to easy kills of pve ships.

Such dramatic absolutes! I like the "without any warning" parts in particular.

But tell me, why should anyone be handed a free warning?
Are they incompetent to gather intel? Do cloaked frigates not offer a means to monitor a gate or station adequately, so that players can be advised of hostile entry?

Are we in some kind of space based daycare, with local acting as a wetnurse so that we may play with the blocks floating by?

And, pray tell, why do you feel that PvE craft deserve exemption from PvP? Do you think to tell us that they won't use the tools you give them, in order to conveniently avoid it, as they have been quite consistently so far?

So, because the defense PvP pilots would rather be elsewhere, any actual need of a defense must be avoided?

Really?

Andy Landen wrote:
All this entitlement talk is enough to make anyone sick.

I quite agree.
Vas Eldryn
#862 - 2013-09-10 01:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Because if PVE in null was under constant threat from PVP, there would be no players doing it in null. Simple.

However if AFK cyno cloaking was removed a lot of people who left null because of perma-camped systems, would proberbly return and you would have more defenceless PVE pilots to try and kill.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#863 - 2013-09-10 08:54:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Andy Landen wrote:
The same actors continuing to assert that the workers should be continually vulnerable to hostile fleets without any warning available to them for retreat to safety.

Unfortunately for you, nobody has said this. Not me, not Mag's and not Nikk. And you know that the current system not only gives you warning it gives you an advance warning and you have to do nothing for this other than pay attention. That you can't actually stick to the facts is becoming tiresome.

Quote:
I am continuing to assert that solo hostile frigates should not be able to call in innumerable hostiles across vast distances within sovereign space the same instant that the execute a magic decloak/point act. Fit a cloak or fit a cyno, but not both. And if a covert cyno, then they still should be scannable during their cloak.

We already get you want less risk. I notice you do not say anything about the advance warning that the current local mechanic provides. We get it already that you just want to have your cake and eat it too.

Quote:
And no, you are not entitled to easy kills of pve ships. All this entitlement talk is enough to make anyone sick.

Right, it is so easy that is why players waste hours AFK cloaking hoping for some dummy to undock and start ratting with a potential hostile in system.

And why are you entitled to an advanced warning system that, if you are paying attention, goes a great deal to making it easy to avoid PvP? I mean if you are going to undock in 0.0 space in a min-maxed PvE ship why should you have such an easy time avoiding the consequences of selecting such a poor fit from a PvP perspective?

Look Andy, we all know you just want to have easy PvE with no risk or uncertainty.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#864 - 2013-09-10 08:57:33 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:

However if AFK cyno cloaking was removed a lot of people who left null because of perma-camped systems, would proberbly return and you would have more defenceless PVE pilots to try and kill.

Except they aren't defensless...and if you read the thread or even some of the last few posts you'd know this. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#865 - 2013-09-10 09:14:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Teckos Pech wrote:
Except they aren't defensless...and if you read the thread or even some of the last few posts you'd know this. Roll

I still prefer to believe that the term "defenseless" is just some kind of metaphor. Big smile

EDIT: I just realized that "metaphor" is the wrong word. I wanted to say "manner of speaking".

Like in the BBC documentaries, when the evil, viscious lion kills the good and kind buffalo... that, incidentally is strong as a... well, strong as a buffalo, with horns more than half a metre long and enough rage to make you **** your pants by just looking in your direction.

Defenseless as a buffalo. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Vas Eldryn
#866 - 2013-09-10 10:03:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

I know right, mining ships make great pvp ships
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#867 - 2013-09-10 10:06:59 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

And no, you are not entitled to easy kills of pve ships. All this entitlement talk is enough to make anyone sick.

Is your reading comprehension that of a toddler, or are you just deliberately lying about what our position and arguments actually are?

No one is demanding easy kills, we're demanding that in order to achieve safety you must work for it - not be granted 100% safety by the mechanics of the game.

Fly away, troll
Vas Eldryn
#868 - 2013-09-10 10:10:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

Is your reading comprehension that of a toddler, or are you just deliberately lying about what our position and arguments actually are?

No one is demanding easy kills, we're demanding that in order to achieve safety you must work for it - not be granted 100% safety by the mechanics of the game.

Fly away, troll

so misguided, mission and mining ships need a lot of support to do their job safely in null, scouts and alliance support, it's by no means an easy task, just to get destroyed by AFK cyno's, that nobody can defend against.

and beware of who you call a troll.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#869 - 2013-09-10 10:35:59 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:

so misguided, mission and mining ships need a lot of support to do their job safely in null, scouts and alliance support, it's by no means an easy task, just to get destroyed by AFK cyno's, that nobody can defend against.

live in dangerous space? expect danger

or

do the work and MAKE ur space safer. u have the resources of an entire alliance and the experience of self proclaimed PvP pros to call upon.

if hot drops are so terrible, why not hot drop their hot drop?

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#870 - 2013-09-10 12:52:26 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Yes, ratters, miners, etc in null should absolutely need to adjust their playstyles to account for the fact they are in null - whether that means having friends in a support fleet, or adjusting their fittings suitably, they have to do these things. Are you saying they shouldn't have to? Are you saying highsec attitudes and choices should work equally well - if not better, thanks to local - in null? That's a pretty ridiculous claim, if it's what you're getting at.

Saying "nobody can defend against" cynos is also pretty ridiculous. Why can't you defend against them? What prevents your corp/alliance from having a fleet in system, or nearby ready to counter-cyno? Nothing other than laziness and incompetence. If you can't defend your space, you don't deserve the rewards. It's that bloody simple.

I only call someone a troll when what they've said is so off the mark or so stupid that the only explanation is that they are deliberately being dishonest.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#871 - 2013-09-10 13:45:49 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

I know right, mining ships make great pvp ships

Wow, such a lack of imagination. Defense is not simply actual combat...or as we call it in this game: blueballing. Local is your defense. It will give you at least a seconds notice a hostile(s) is(are) in system before that hostile(s) can do anything. If you are paying attention you can always evade the hostile(s).

Roll

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#872 - 2013-09-10 13:50:21 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

Fly away, troll

But The Gunslinger is absolutely correct. Shooting fish in a barrel is fun sometimes, but eventually you want something more challenging.

Right now the game mechanics hands you intel very easily via local, not only that it gives you this intel with a significant time lapse in favor of the locals. These are indisputable facts. These indisputable facts are exactly what leads to AFK cloaking.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Oh, and here is another fact, nobody has ever been destroyed by an AFK ship of any kind. Whether it has a cyno or guns or missiles.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#873 - 2013-09-10 13:51:41 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Because if PVE in null was under constant threat from PVP, there would be no players doing it in null. Simple.

And yet PvE is under constant threat of PvP in EVERY other area of the game.

High sec? Hulkageddon anyone?

Low Sec? They moved to null because they were risk averse. (High was too scary)

Wormholes? My bad, these areas are perfectly safe, since I see no hostile pilots in local, ever. Whew, what a relief!
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#874 - 2013-09-10 13:54:46 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

live in dangerous space? expect danger

or

do the work and MAKE ur space safer. u have the resources of an entire alliance and the experience of self proclaimed PvP pros to call upon.

if hot drops are so terrible, why not hot drop their hot drop?

I underlined the primary aspect they really want to avoid.

Noone ever suggested they should be easy kills, ONLY that they should require effort for the safety they so take for granted right now.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#875 - 2013-09-10 14:17:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Wormholes? My bad, these areas are perfectly safe, since I see no hostile pilots in local, ever. Whew, what a relief!

Wait...do I detect a faint whiff of sarcasm? Lol

Vas Eldryn,

Seriously have you read much of this thread? Have you read the threads in Nikk's and my signaures (no we aren't the same guy, I just like Nikk's threads and see them as a possible replacement for how local currently works)? We aren't saying easy kills.

I think it would be nice to add structures to the game so sov holders can gather intel, but at the same time make it so the players who hold sov have to work at it. Somewhere in this thread is a link to an article at TheMittani.com, it links to other articles discussing this topic in more detail. So people would have to work at gathering intel as local would not be the infallible and instant source it has become. But at the same time AFK cloaking would likely become a thing of the past as well, at least in regards to asset denial and attempts to get "easy kills".

If you are going to come in here and slag on others you should, at least, familiarize yourself with their actual arguments.

virgofire
Vay Mining Corporation
#876 - 2013-09-10 16:58:01 UTC
I have tried to read thru this mess of a forum topic and even in the past talkeda bout my distaste for AFK cloaking.

Couple things I dont understand.

Why is local even being complained about? I understand the arguement. It gives out intel, but local has been in the game since day one, and cloaking hasn't. Does anyone seriously think CCP will remove it. I understand WH space doesnt have local but it also functions under its own rules. You cant hot drop into a WH and you will never get 100 ships thru a WH entrance before getting trapped inside. It's also harder to pray on a industrial character in a WH cause they have to be tanked to deal with sleepers, but in exchange for that, they are granted huge bonuses to potential profit from very rare spawns. ETC ETC ETC. WH space is unique and I just dont think it fits in this argument as a valid example as why local should be removed.

Now am I for the idea of tieing intel channels to sov space? ****, yes. I would be all for this idea. It makes sense. If you own space, you should get the benifit of a local style warning system. I mean it is space you call home, have built stations in, pos's and other assests. You should be granted some bonus to security in this space, cause of these things. Though I still find it unlikely CCP will change it.

As for AFK cloaking camping with the potential of a hot drop. I am split on this. I find it an effective way to shut down a system for a while but after a month or two of the same person camping the same system and just perma camping. I find this action to be rather distasteful. Why? Caues the people in that system have very few options to remove that player. You can try to bait him, but it has to be good bait and it completely up to the cloaky if he wishes to engage. There really is no way to catch this person unless they decide to leave on their own. Even if you have 100 ships in system with a D scan running and that person logs off and then back on. All he has to do is tap his cloak and poof, you cant find him. All he will be is a blink on a d scan, if you happen to click at the right time.

I think a lot of people would be happy if THIS particular style of AFK camping was removed. Question is. How can it be done without breaking other parts of the game. I wont get into that cause my past ideas have been flamed. I dont care to deal with it anymore but I do think that this style of camping is really what people dislike.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#877 - 2013-09-10 17:29:14 UTC
virgofire wrote:
I have tried to read thru this mess of a forum topic and even in the past talkeda bout my distaste for AFK cloaking.

Couple things I dont understand.

Why is local even being complained about? I understand the arguement. It gives out intel, but local has been in the game since day one, and cloaking hasn't. ...
Stuff

Your comment fails to acknowledge that local on day one lacked standings currently present.
Unless you recognized the name, you did not know if they were friendly or hostile.

One group of players figured out how to add in standings, making local a far more useful tool, and CCP gave it to everyone instead of simply blocking it.
(Possibly they could not block it effectively, since knowing all friendly pilots alone could warn of non friendly presence if automated)

As to wormhole space, that is entirely seperate. They also have many things in common with regular space, and whether that includes local at some point is a meaningless comparison.

The ultimate issue, is that sov space was never intended to be safer than high sec, without significant effort.
Effort that is not present, thanks to local doing the work for them.

I am all for players being safe, but they need to do the work if they want the reward, and safety is definitely a reward.
virgofire
Vay Mining Corporation
#878 - 2013-09-10 18:19:49 UTC
I disagree. Unclaimed sov space should be very very very dangerous but if an alliance owns that space then I see no reason why it shouldnt be as safe as, if not safer than high sec. Of course there wouldnt be any concord style ships to enforce rules, it would all be done by the alliance but I think you understand my point. Local holds a valid reaason for being in these regions.

I think the work your suggesting a player do is unbalanced. The work to keep stations, POS's and other things in operation is far more work than is required for covert ops ship needs to simple invade space and perma camp it,

As for the standings thing. I didnt know that but it is somewhat beside the point isnt it? A right click on a new name would easily show what corp a person is in. Also wouldn't that again be beside the point since the standings thing in local was in effect before cloaking ships were, right?

Personally I dont think local is broken. I personally feel that it's a crutch used by PVP oriented toons to use as a defense against having cloaks reworked.

I am not for the removal of a cloak and i dont think the people asking for the cloak to be reworked wants that either. But perma camped systems are a real issue and I dont feel they are used for anything more than griefing and harassment. Even if it is being used for a legit reason, once a person is in a system, it's impossible to remove them unless they choose to be found or leave on their own. That fact alone breaks the balance of a cloak.

Now mind you I cleared state this is how I feel. I am not saying it is right or how CCP feel or how anyone else should feel about the topic. I am stating my opinion in hopes to show my point of view and maybe influence some to understand what I am saying and possibly agree with me. I have read any of the responses here and none of them have really made me change my mind to think that the system is working perfectly.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#879 - 2013-09-10 18:46:03 UTC
You may want to check out the links in my sig, as a miner in null, I have given this a lot of thought too.

virgofire wrote:
I disagree. Unclaimed sov space should be very very very dangerous but if an alliance owns that space then I see no reason why it shouldnt be as safe as, if not safer than high sec. Of course there wouldnt be any concord style ships to enforce rules, it would all be done by the alliance but I think you understand my point. Local holds a valid reaason for being in these regions.

I think the work your suggesting a player do is unbalanced. The work to keep stations, POS's and other things in operation is far more work than is required for covert ops ship needs to simple invade space and perma camp it,

As for the standings thing. I didnt know that but it is somewhat beside the point isnt it? A right click on a new name would easily show what corp a person is in. Also wouldn't that again be beside the point since the standings thing in local was in effect before cloaking ships were, right?

Personally I dont think local is broken. I personally feel that it's a crutch used by PVP oriented toons to use as a defense against having cloaks reworked.

I am not for the removal of a cloak and i dont think the people asking for the cloak to be reworked wants that either. But perma camped systems are a real issue and I dont feel they are used for anything more than griefing and harassment. Even if it is being used for a legit reason, once a person is in a system, it's impossible to remove them unless they choose to be found or leave on their own. That fact alone breaks the balance of a cloak.

Now mind you I cleared state this is how I feel. I am not saying it is right or how CCP feel or how anyone else should feel about the topic. I am stating my opinion in hopes to show my point of view and maybe influence some to understand what I am saying and possibly agree with me. I have read any of the responses here and none of them have really made me change my mind to think that the system is working perfectly.

You either have not noticed the details, or you are pretending ignorance regarding how high sec compares to null.

In sov null, you are MUCH safer than in high sec.
You can use local to get safe, which avoids suicide ganking as well as neutral alts spotting you for war targetting.
This is not practical in high sec, at all, making it more dangerous.

This is why you can more likely see bling boats in null than in high, because in null they won't get ganked.

As to stations: Players do not work to keep them, corps and alliances do, and corps and alliances reap the rewards they offer.
Imagine having no market, or clone contracts, just like in a wormhole.

Perma camping a system is far more work to an individual, as it ties up an entire account for the duration.
Working together with others to sustain an alliance, can be done in shifts or with a concerted group effort.

Cloaking predates the standings in local, but then cloaky camping really doesn't. The standings in local made local significantly easier to use.
Cloaky camping, if it existed before at all, was trivial back then.

Perma camped system are not a real issue. Players refusing to adapt are.
You can play in a camped system just fine, you just need to actually be able to react to other players. This IS an MMO, after all, not to mention one boasting of the sandbox theme.

I respect your opinion, and I feel your safety should reflect your efforts, not some automated system dumbing down everyone's play.
Vas Eldryn
#880 - 2013-09-10 20:25:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
ok where do i start...

so if a miner wants so go out and mine, he has to have a fleet of his friends just sit in system and do nothing on the chance that the AFK cloaker is at the keyboard?

and you suggest to defend our space we have to cyno camp our own systems with a hotdrop fleet always at the ready, this is just plain silly!

and stop complaining about local, i see plenty of kills by pvper's in null that don't AFK cyno cloak, maybe they can teach you a thing or two?