These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#841 - 2013-09-04 09:31:35 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

"God mode"? So you're saying when I decloak and point you, or when my buddies cyno in, that we're literally invulnerable? You cannot target us or return fire? We cannot be destroyed at all?

Are you mad or just deliberately being dishonest. Cloaks and cynos are not "god mode" or easy-wins, they're the only tools we have to work around the actual invulnerability that residents have as a result of local.

Honestly, your desperate tears about it not being able to be countered, being god mode, being abuse, etc are hilarious. They demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics, coupled with the attitude of a 5 year old. You're so so so bad at this game.

Actualy what he's saying is that your just a bunch of cowards who pray on the weak cause you aren't man enough to make a full frontal assaul like real men would do Twisted

Except for the part where he literally claimed we had some kind of invulnerability, which is a clear misunderstanding of the current mechanics.

The attempted smears by crying that we're "cowards" (when you're the ones who run to the pos/station before I've even loaded grid...) doesn't work in an argument with intelligent adults. It also carries with it the implication that it's somehow invalid - morally, or cowardice, or whatever - to PVP against someone who doesn't consent. Again, that's a clear misunderstanding of the mechanics and goal of this game.

brushing up on the game mechanics and type of gameplay the game is centered on before saying such things might help you in these discussions
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#842 - 2013-09-04 10:07:40 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

You mean like a sticky? P

Yup. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#843 - 2013-09-04 10:38:17 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Mag's wrote:
People who cry about this, tend to either be dishonest with their statements or just flat out don't understand the mechanics of the game. But when you point out these errors, they tend to get defensive and call you a troll.

I don't have to get emotional or upset, nor is it being dishonest, nor to I have to call you a troll.

The fact has so many threads and posts mean many people like the system the way it is and many people dont

Thats what a forum is for, to voice opinion and discuss the topic... simply saying i dont understand the mechanics is childish
OK let's look at what you said:

"All AFK cloaking + cyno, is.... is a god mode for people who haven't learned to pvp, aiming at industrial pilots trying to support their alliance."

You claim the use of AFK cloaking plus cyno, is god mode. Anyone with common sense would scoff at such a claim, due in most part to what god mode in games actually is. You also add that this is used by people who haven't learnt to PvP, which is based on your feelings and not facts.

Then you say:

"allowing this is like saying ...."we don't care about the rest of this games mechanics, we just want cheap free kills that cant be countered!""

You again base this post on your feelings, not on facts. No one has said anything of the sort regarding the rest of this games mechanics. In fact those who support AFK cloaking, actually do care about other mechanics. This is why they support the status quo.
Your inclusion of the term "cheap free kills that cannot be countered", is also emotional and dishonest. First they are not free or cheap and secondly they can be countered. This thread has all the relevant information in that regard.

I question your knowledge of game mechanics at this point.

And finally:

"there are so many people with 10-50 accounts and all they do is put cloaked pilots in enemy systems 23-7, I can understand why CCP allows the abuse of the game, because it's money in their pockets, screw the average gamer, just pay us!"

Now you either have factual evidence to back up your claim that people with 10 to 50 accounts are doing this, or you are yet again being dishonest with this claim. May be you're simply being disingenuous and you meant there could be people doing that.

Then there is your claim regarding CCP allowing abuse of the game. Being as no abuse is taking place and CCP actually doesn't allow abuse of their game, what do you base this on? CCP ban those abusing their game and have done so many times, ending many accounts in the process. To claim their attitude is "screw the average gamer, just pay us!", is far from fact based posted.

So yes you may not have called troll yet, but most definitely have be dishonest and emotional in your posting. Also from what you have posted, we get the impression that you have little understanding of game mechanics involved.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#844 - 2013-09-04 13:46:34 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

"God mode"? So you're saying when I decloak and point you, or when my buddies cyno in, that we're literally invulnerable? You cannot target us or return fire? We cannot be destroyed at all?

Are you mad or just deliberately being dishonest. Cloaks and cynos are not "god mode" or easy-wins, they're the only tools we have to work around the actual invulnerability that residents have as a result of local.

Honestly, your desperate tears about it not being able to be countered, being god mode, being abuse, etc are hilarious. They demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics, coupled with the attitude of a 5 year old. You're so so so bad at this game.

Actualy what he's saying is that your just a bunch of cowards who pray on the weak cause you aren't man enough to make a full frontal assaul like real men would do Twisted

A full frontal assault is the last refuge of the dull and desperate masses who lack creativity and clever thought.

It is beating down the door, when all you needed to do was unlock it and walk in.

It is, almost literally, saying BLOB or GTFO.
Vas Eldryn
#845 - 2013-09-05 01:39:40 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Mag's wrote:
People who cry about this, tend to either be dishonest with their statements or just flat out don't understand the mechanics of the game. But when you point out these errors, they tend to get defensive and call you a troll.

I don't have to get emotional or upset, nor is it being dishonest, nor to I have to call you a troll.

The fact has so many threads and posts mean many people like the system the way it is and many people dont

Thats what a forum is for, to voice opinion and discuss the topic... simply saying i dont understand the mechanics is childish
OK let's look at what you said:

"All AFK cloaking + cyno, is.... is a god mode for people who haven't learned to pvp, aiming at industrial pilots trying to support their alliance."

You claim the use of AFK cloaking plus cyno, is god mode. Anyone with common sense would scoff at such a claim, due in most part to what god mode in games actually is. You also add that this is used by people who haven't learnt to PvP, which is based on your feelings and not facts.

Then you say:

"allowing this is like saying ...."we don't care about the rest of this games mechanics, we just want cheap free kills that cant be countered!""

You again base this post on your feelings, not on facts. No one has said anything of the sort regarding the rest of this games mechanics. In fact those who support AFK cloaking, actually do care about other mechanics. This is why they support the status quo.
Your inclusion of the term "cheap free kills that cannot be countered", is also emotional and dishonest. First they are not free or cheap and secondly they can be countered. This thread has all the relevant information in that regard.

I question your knowledge of game mechanics at this point.

And finally:

"there are so many people with 10-50 accounts and all they do is put cloaked pilots in enemy systems 23-7, I can understand why CCP allows the abuse of the game, because it's money in their pockets, screw the average gamer, just pay us!"

Now you either have factual evidence to back up your claim that people with 10 to 50 accounts are doing this, or you are yet again being dishonest with this claim. May be you're simply being disingenuous and you meant there could be people doing that.

Then there is your claim regarding CCP allowing abuse of the game. Being as no abuse is taking place and CCP actually doesn't allow abuse of their game, what do you base this on? CCP ban those abusing their game and have done so many times, ending many accounts in the process. To claim their attitude is "screw the average gamer, just pay us!", is far from fact based posted.

So yes you may not have called troll yet, but most definitely have be dishonest and emotional in your posting. Also from what you have posted, we get the impression that you have little understanding of game mechanics involved.

yawn, yes i may have posted the initial post after months of frustration and emotion crept in, i submit that

on the god mode statement, yes i believe AFK cloakers do enjoy Invulnerability for the fact they cant be detected, scanned or countered, only when they choose to act can be attacked for a small window and might lose a cheap ship as the warped in fleet kills a miner or PVE ship that usually cost a lot.

From the fear of losing an expensive PVE ship or mining ship, we are forced to dock and stay docked while the Cyno/cloak sits AFK in system for weeks, months, years.

As they cant be detected, the option of getting in a PVP ship and going to defend your system is gone and since you cant do anything while the threat looms, I do think its like Invulnerability.

As the will only attack when they see fit and usually only uncloak when they have the advantage, or the win to loss ratio is to their advantage, will they attack, since cyno cloaked ships are generally cheap frigs or Cov ops frigs, the loss of the frig is very easy on the wallet.

on the players with 10-50 accounts yeas they exist, one was a massive problem in Providence for ages, with a cloaked ship in nearly every system, not sure if he is still there or moved? his main account was acetic acid, having 42 accounts.

Just attacking my emotional slip up, calling me a liar and attacking my knowledge of the game might seem like a great way to discredit my views, call me old fashioned but i wont respond in kind.
Vas Eldryn
#846 - 2013-09-05 02:48:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Except for the part where he literally claimed we had some kind of invulnerability, which is a clear misunderstanding of the current mechanics.

The attempted smears by crying that we're "cowards" (when you're the ones who run to the pos/station before I've even loaded grid...) doesn't work in an argument with intelligent adults. It also carries with it the implication that it's somehow invalid - morally, or cowardice, or whatever - to PVP against someone who doesn't consent. Again, that's a clear misunderstanding of the mechanics and goal of this game.

brushing up on the game mechanics and type of gameplay the game is centered on before saying such things might help you in these discussions

interesting, but when you pay to have Sovereignty of a system, i think there should be some protections for "soft" ships, meaning ships not intended for PVP (miners, plex runners, industrial ships), so that they can play the role their alliance needs them to do.

Saying Null should just be a free for all and all the "soft" ships should always be available as targets for PVP ships i think is a little misguided, they pay sov to be able to practice their roles in they system they are paying for.

The AFK cloaked camp is always arguing that they want unlimited access to kill targets that cant fight back... the "soft" ships, and not have to deal with those pesky PVP pilots that want to defend their home. This view I do find kind of... well I wont say.

As the Industrial level of a system rises, it makes invasions more frequent and troublesome, plus we have to deal with people just sitting camped in our sov, cloaked and AFK for long peroids of time. no wonder industrial based pilots have a real hard time.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#847 - 2013-09-05 08:32:05 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

interesting, but when you pay to have Sovereignty of a system, i think there should be some protections for "soft" ships, meaning ships not intended for PVP (miners, plex runners, industrial ships), so that they can play the role their alliance needs them to do.

Saying Null should just be a free for all and all the "soft" ships should always be available as targets for PVP ships i think is a little misguided, they pay sov to be able to practice their roles in they system they are paying for.

The AFK cloaked camp is always arguing that they want unlimited access to kill targets that cant fight back... the "soft" ships, and not have to deal with those pesky PVP pilots that want to defend their home. This view I do find kind of... well I wont say.

As the Industrial level of a system rises, it makes invasions more frequent and troublesome, plus we have to deal with people just sitting camped in our sov, cloaked and AFK for long peroids of time. no wonder industrial based pilots have a real hard time.

You already have far too much protection via local. Extended cloaking and cynos are the only avenue in which those 'soft targets' can be caught - otherwise you have to fully burn a system to the ground, which defeats the point. The ability to put some pressure on the residents with some small interference is an important one, removing it and requiring a fullscale invasion to have the chance of killing some of these people is bad design, and would make null a very boring, stagnant place.

I'm not saying the residents shouldn't have any protection, but the protection has to come from their own efforts. Run sites in a group, have fits that are slightly more capable of defending themselves or at least escaping, you have to work for it. Not just be handed absolute safety while in bloody nullsec space.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#848 - 2013-09-05 08:35:55 UTC
And again you're basically trying to smear those who do employ these tactics, and yet again the suggestion is that it's wrong, or mean, or cowardly to go after someone who isn't fully geared up in a PVP ship/fleet looking for a fight. Again that is a colossal misunderstanding of how this game actually works. PVP is not consensual. It doesn't matter one bit whether you're in a minmaxed PVE ship or in a PVP gang looking for a fight. If I want to try and fight you, I can.
Vas Eldryn
#849 - 2013-09-05 09:11:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
And again you're basically trying to smear those who do employ these tactics, and yet again the suggestion is that it's wrong, or mean, or cowardly to go after someone who isn't fully geared up in a PVP ship/fleet looking for a fight. Again that is a colossal misunderstanding of how this game actually works. PVP is not consensual. It doesn't matter one bit whether you're in a minmaxed PVE ship or in a PVP gang looking for a fight. If I want to try and fight you, I can.

ok first i'll take my hat off to you sir for addressing the issue and not calling me a liar or someone who has no understanding of game mechanics.

I do disagree though, i believe that null should not just be just chaos open for PVP warfare.

I honestly think that if all you can do is PVP miners and indies, hang up the PVP hat and put on the "I cant PVP hat, but ill fight people who can fight back hat"

to say that i don't know how the game works, as i have said before, is silly.... unless u are working for CCP u cannot lay claim to knowing the game and is evolution.

last of all, you are trying to change the issue away from AFK camping, which i will not let you... please stay on topic.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#850 - 2013-09-05 13:55:51 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

ok first i'll take my hat off to you sir for addressing the issue and not calling me a liar or someone who has no understanding of game mechanics.

I do disagree though, i believe that null should not just be just chaos open for PVP warfare.

I honestly think that if all you can do is PVP miners and indies, hang up the PVP hat and put on the "I cant PVP hat, but ill fight people who can fight back hat"

to say that i don't know how the game works, as i have said before, is silly.... unless u are working for CCP u cannot lay claim to knowing the game and is evolution.

last of all, you are trying to change the issue away from AFK camping, which i will not let you... please stay on topic.

In the real world, as in every other world capable of truly immersive gameplay, Might makes Right.

Not ethics, or a sense of fair play, or any other poofy concept.
If you can back it up and enforce it, you can do it.

No divine justice awaits our characters beyond CCP itself.

Right now, sov owners are having their jobs done FOR them, by an automated system. Great, wonderful.
But know this, if you can't take responsibility for your own intel gathering, especially on this level, you also abandon any claims to how the intel is handled, and what is included.

That is why local is screwing up sov null, by forcing sov holders to play in a very specific way, resulting in this impasse repeatedly.

Fix it, or forget it, but don't expect the game to hand you a free victory that means anything in the end.
Nothing free ever has value like that.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#851 - 2013-09-05 20:15:47 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Right, like you'd stay and fight. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#852 - 2013-09-05 20:28:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Right here is where you indicate a lack of understanding of Eve, Eve is a non-consensual PvP game. And nobody is saying null is all Chaos and nothing but PvP. I PvP in null (usually, low sec sometimes) and I also have alts that PvE in null. I lose an industrial about 1x a year and given that I run 4 alts for this it is more like 1 industrial every 4 character years. And null players do develop their systems. Jump bridges, jump beacons, towers here and there doing things. Not to mention that you can find industrial sub-sections in some null alliances as well.

In Eve you can see examples of spontaneous order.

And what this has to do with the cloaking mechanic and how local works, I don't know. The example of how local is too good for intel purposes and the inevitable result is AFK cloaking describes both problems. You need to address both...or leave them both alone. If you address just one, you'll almost surely cause an imbalance.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Mag's
Azn Empire
#853 - 2013-09-06 01:24:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Vas Eldryn wrote:

yawn, yes i may have posted the initial post after months of frustration and emotion crept in, i submit that

on the god mode statement, yes i believe AFK cloakers do enjoy Invulnerability for the fact they cant be detected, scanned or countered, only when they choose to act can be attacked for a small window and might lose a cheap ship as the warped in fleet kills a miner or PVE ship that usually cost a lot.
God mode in games grants the player a very specific set of powers. It allows you the ability to kill everything and remain unscathed no matter what is thrown at you. The thing is, neither are guaranteed in regards to cloaking. AFK or not, cyno or not.

1. You cannot shoot or even activate a module whilst cloaked.
2. When you decloak, you are vulnerable.

The comparison is blatantly false, so why make it?

Vas Eldryn wrote:
From the fear of losing an expensive PVE ship or mining ship, we are forced to dock and stay docked while the Cyno/cloak sits AFK in system for weeks, months, years.

As they cant be detected, the option of getting in a PVP ship and going to defend your system is gone and since you cant do anything while the threat looms, I do think its like Invulnerability.
Why are you forced to dock? That's not something someone cloaked and/or AFK can force upon you. You can get in that PvP fit ship and continue ratting in the system.
The point is that there are other options open to you. But if you choose not to take them, then you only have yourselves to blame.

Also they obviously were detected, or else you wouldn't have all run for the station/pos/outpost.

Then we have your use of the term 'Invulnerability', you use this thinking it somehow helps your stance. You of course fail to point out that while they are supposedly invulnerable from you, then you are from them.

Vas Eldryn wrote:
As the will only attack when they see fit and usually only uncloak when they have the advantage, or the win to loss ratio is to their advantage, will they attack, since cyno cloaked ships are generally cheap frigs or Cov ops frigs, the loss of the frig is very easy on the wallet.
Welcome to Eve, where almost everyone will only attack when they believe the odds are in their favour. In fact welcome to gaming, this has little to do with cloaked ships and more about gamers in general.

But you raise a point, why do they have to wait? Which mechanic are they struggling against, in order to have to resort to going AFK for long stretches of time? We know the answer to this question, the real question is why is it you're not asking for that mechanic to be nerfed instead?

Vas Eldryn wrote:
on the players with 10-50 accounts yeas they exist, one was a massive problem in Providence for ages, with a cloaked ship in nearly every system, not sure if he is still there or moved? his main account was acetic acid, having 42 accounts.
So one guy that may have had 42 accounts, turns into "so many people with 10-50 accounts" all with cloaked alts placed in systems? So not a lie, simply stretching the truth is that it?

Vas Eldryn wrote:
Just attacking my emotional slip up, calling me a liar and attacking my knowledge of the game might seem like a great way to discredit my views, call me old fashioned but i wont respond in kind.
No attack, as your own posts do you the discredit sir. Call me old fashioned, but I find factual based posts based on actual game mechanics, far more believable than emotional disingenuous ones.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#854 - 2013-09-06 08:56:46 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
Vas Eldryn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

Except again you're smearing, saying people who attempt to go after weaker targets "can't pvp" - whether they people they go after are PVErs in sites, industrialists, or even other PVP targets who are weak due to being outnumbered/outgunned. That's a deliberate attempt to demonise those people - who says they only ever do that? How do you know they also don't take part in "fair fights" or even fights where they're the weaker party? You don't, you merely construct a strawman to attack. That's dishonest and doesn't wash. Not only that, but even if these people were the strawman you described, it'd still be invalid - the action of going after "weaker" targets is not only perfectly valid, but is something that must necessarily be allowed to happen in order for the game to function correctly. If the PVE targets, the industrialists, PVP targets who are just 'weaker' or anyone else who wouldn't consent to a fight had protection built into the mechanics it would be a disaster.

This argument is most definitely on topic, as sitting cloaked is the only mechanic which allows players to catch locals - something which is valid and necessary, and which you are constantly demonising players for doing - and removing it would be removing all uncertainty and risk for locals.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#855 - 2013-09-06 12:55:53 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

Underlined for focus.

Null is specifically intended for this, by the fact that game enforced consequences are distinctly absent for any hostile actions.
ONLY player actions and reprisals exist.

If you cannot back your actions with threat or delivery of violence that overwhelms your opponent, you lose, they win, and you no longer hold space if they want it.

Vas Eldryn wrote:

Absurd. Your argument is a backhanded push towards consensual PvP only, as noone deliberately enters a fight if they expect to lose. Go to high sec if you want the game to back up your expectations of protection, it is called Concord.

Vas Eldryn wrote:

You are pretending ignorance of the status quo regarding force of arms granting license for any desired behavior.

You can stop me if you can beat me, but I will be doing the same to you. You can do anything the game let's you do, which does not violate the EULA.
There are no ethics in a sandbox game.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#856 - 2013-09-06 21:53:56 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:

This is completely absurd. You have a stilted view. PvP is rarely an even match in this game. People prefer to have fights where they have an advantage. And it is a game of brinksmanship and slight of hand and deception. You send in a heavily tanked ship to try and tackle an opponent then have the DPS come in and finish him off. Of course, the target might suspect the trap and bugger on off before that. Discerning what is and what is not bait is sometimes a tricky thing.

And some of the most feared combat ships, e.g. a super, in the right circumstances is as helpless as a iteron 5. Granted, it will take longer to kill in most cases, but with the proper plan and good executioin that is going to be one dead super. And the amount of work and planning and coordination that goes into is impressive.

Or another example is when you have two fleets manuevering to get into the better position, one fleet might deliberately put itself at a disadvantage to draw the other fleet out, then bubbles are dropped a cyno or two goes up and the hammer drops. Its called strategy and you can see it in the real world as well as this game. It is part of what makes the game so fun. That you have a human opponent that is trying his damndest to not get killed or his fleet killed and at the same time trying to kill you or your fleet.

That you don't appreciate this...well, not being a jerk here, but dude, have you considered this game isn't for you?

Mag's
Azn Empire
#857 - 2013-09-08 19:30:14 UTC
Page 4?.... noooooooooooooo

Vas Eldryn
#858 - 2013-09-09 09:24:10 UTC
? what's a page 4? and why is it bad?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#859 - 2013-09-09 14:48:40 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
? what's a page 4? and why is it bad?

The prophecy warned of the consequences, we do not question the prophecy.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#860 - 2013-09-09 21:17:55 UTC
The same actors continuing to assert that the workers should be continually vulnerable to hostile fleets without any warning available to them for retreat to safety.

I am continuing to assert that solo hostile frigates should not be able to call in innumerable hostiles across vast distances within sovereign space the same instant that the execute a magic decloak/point act. Fit a cloak or fit a cyno, but not both. And if a covert cyno, then they still should be scannable during their cloak.

And no, you are not entitled to easy kills of pve ships. All this entitlement talk is enough to make anyone sick.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein