These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#821 - 2013-08-31 01:27:19 UTC
We have a winner!

The contest to determine the best solution to AFK Cloaking that shamelessly favors risk averse PvE.
(They ceased activity and docked to avoid a threat)

The cloaked player, while seemingly immune to threat in a similar fashion, is also supported by multiple claims from both sides, that they clearly intend violence upon other players in game, in keeping with game design.
Obviously they are playing, since noone is claiming them to be ignoring game play opportunities.
They would not be considered a risk if players felt they would be safely ignored.

This winner offers TWO potential solutions, showing great enthusiasm for the topic.

Andy Landen wrote:
I am just proposing that CCP institute a new policy of auto-logoff when their client receives no input of any kind from the player for 30 minutes straight. Sure there are people who would appreciate the auto-logoff function. And there are doubtless others who would not appreciate it; mostly consisting of those like the effect of inactive account on others but otherwise gain nothing else by the account being "online."

I suppose another alternative is that the ship powers off after 30 minutes of client inactivity while floating in space. Sensors go offline, modules go offline, cloak deactivates, speed drops to zero .. all while the account remains "online." I imagine that the auto-logoff is preferred to the auto-ship-shutdown.

Seriously, noone believes this is to do anything but eliminate persistent cloaking obstacles.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#822 - 2013-08-31 03:45:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
We have a winner!..

Yay! I am a winner.

And yeah, nothing will ever change risk aversion given how much there is to lose.

And no, my solutions will not "eliminate persistent cloaking obstacles" just extremely afk ones. And it will be harder for players to say the word afk and online in the same sentence.

Of course, I like my other solution of preventing both cloak and cyno from being active at the same time on the same ship, even better. Maybe have both solutions.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#823 - 2013-08-31 09:40:21 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
My suggestion aims to free Eve servers and CPU load from a client which is receiving no interaction for an extended period of time. It may remove risk from a truly AFK player, but then again, if the player is truly AFK, there wasn't any risk from that player in the first place, so no risk is being removed. The most my suggestion does regarding perceived risk is to allow false risk to be perceived for say 30 minutes.

If a player isn't going to even spin their ship, chat in some group or local, check the market, mine or build, or even just warp to different belts or anoms for 30 minutes straight, then their account needs to be auto logged-off until they are ready to do something with it. Don't be fooled. An auto log-off will hardly affect the risk in the Eve Universe, let alone in null sec. My suggestion is quite good. Besides, don't you want to see afk miners auto-logged? Thought Nik was a miner who valued rewards going to those who weren't afk, and this suggestion doesn't even require cloaky cynos ready in every system in Eve to enforce it.

You're not a CCP dev, so you can cram the "but think of the server load!" bunk. That really is the last, most desperate excuse imaginable. But lets think it through for a second, the amount of people afk cloaked is going to be tiny compared to those afk at a pos or in a station. I don't see you campaigning against people being able to do those things though.

I get the feeling you're just being dishonest.

You want to remove uncertainty and risk for carebears in null. Wanting to do that is just horrid for a number of reasons. It's unbalanced, it screws with the risk vs reward, it screws with economy in the long term, etc. It's just terrible, and why? Why do you want it? So you can feel 100% safe in the most dangerous area of the game. Its just insanely stupid to ask for these things. If you want more safety, go to highsec. It's that simple.

You do not belong in null if you can't handle the uncertainty and risk inherent to that area of the game. Crying for CCP to change that area of the game to meet your needs is disgusting.

Biomass yourself
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#824 - 2013-08-31 10:56:07 UTC
I'm going to second what Gunslinger said.
Biomass.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#825 - 2013-09-02 06:46:19 UTC
why are we on page 3 already? Shocked

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#826 - 2013-09-02 09:47:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
The size of this thread. o_O

The sheer numbers...

42 pages, 824 replies, 16195 views, 851 likes (that's an average of 1.0327669902912621359223300970874 likes per post... we need more likes, that number sucks.)

Given the number of views and the fact that only an average of about 2 new cloaking threads per week appear on the forums, I'd say we need stronger weaponry to blast repetitions of already existing afk cloaking threads out of the F&I Forum...

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Edwin McAlister
Empire Hooligans
#827 - 2013-09-02 11:02:02 UTC
concept is simple,

since my original thread was locked
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=273085&find=unread

condensed version here, the discussion we had there was interesting....

the idea is roughly around submarine hunting tactics

imagine this... a small fleet... hunter killer mission,.... consists of a scanner ship and half a dozen specialized destroyers...

scanner ship launches gravimetric probes... these are designed to detect the gravitational anomalies caused by large objects... the ship sifts thru the data and determines a general location of possible cloaked enemy ship (it could be a false signal)

fleet warps to that area... they are now on grid with a possible cloaked enemy ship....

hunter killer destroyers activate gravitational sensor array and attempt to determine location of enemy... this system only gives a direction.. not distance.... the fleet then has to work together to attempt to triangulate the possible location of enemy ship... cycle time on said device could be around 60 seconds...

enemy ship is moving and thus the hunter killer destroyers have to stop and recalculate... if enemy ship is running in a straight line.. destroyers will quite quickly determine this and be able to jump in close to the enemy forcing a de-cloak and engagement.. if the enemy is constantly changing directions... this will cause more complications and require a larger hunter-killer fleet to lock down the enemy.

at any time, the hunted could become the hunter... decloaking and destroying one or two of the hunter killer destroyers.. then warping away and recloaking... or just remaining cloaked and warping away to a different location... forcing the hunters to scan again...

1) this does not stop people from afk cloaking
2) this is not an instant win button
3) this concept is possible but low chance of success with just 1 hunter killer ship.. more useful to a small fleet of ships
4) would require a special T2 class of destroyer, Hunter-Killer
5) the current scanner overlay works nicely with this potential... the symbol used for anomalies that show up, could have a different type showing the direction only of the potential gravimetric anomaly but not the distance

Electrique Wizard
Mutually Lucrative Business Proposals
#828 - 2013-09-02 11:43:24 UTC
Edwin McAlister wrote:
concept is simple,
bla bla a load of doo-doo

This is the worst post in this topic

I am the Zodiac, I am the stars, You are the sorceress, my priestess of Mars, Queen of the night, swathed in satin black, Your ivory flesh upon my torture rack.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#829 - 2013-09-02 14:59:28 UTC
Electrique Wizard wrote:
Edwin McAlister wrote:
concept is simple,
bla bla a load of doo-doo

This is the worst post in this topic

The gaping error is in not dropping local as a means of knowing cloaked presence.

It is never balanced gameplay to build effort on top of effortless, since you reduce the value of all items below that effort point to having no value.

Cloaking can never be more than local let's it be, if local is involved.
The arbitrary "you can't isolate the exact location" mechanic is equally broken, but at least counters the free intel in many ways.
Edwin McAlister
Empire Hooligans
#830 - 2013-09-03 03:09:52 UTC
I do not play in null sec, but I do play in a wormhole,

I am not comprehending the issue people have with cloaking in null sec, I have experienced cloaked scouts in wormholes, but they are usually in and out....

could someone clarify it for me, in simple basic terms, dumb it down
Vas Eldryn
#831 - 2013-09-03 06:08:01 UTC
All AFK cloaking + cyno, is.... is a god mode for people who haven't learned to pvp, aiming at industrial pilots trying to support their alliance.

allowing this is like saying ...."we don't care about the rest of this games mechanics, we just want cheap free kills that cant be countered!"

there are so many people with 10-50 accounts and all they do is put cloaked pilots in enemy systems 23-7, I can understand why CCP allows the abuse of the game, because it's money in their pockets, screw the average gamer, just pay us!
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#832 - 2013-09-03 10:26:23 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
Vas Eldryn wrote:
All AFK cloaking + cyno, is.... is a god mode for people who haven't learned to pvp, aiming at industrial pilots trying to support their alliance.

allowing this is like saying ...."we don't care about the rest of this games mechanics, we just want cheap free kills that cant be countered!"

there are so many people with 10-50 accounts and all they do is put cloaked pilots in enemy systems 23-7, I can understand why CCP allows the abuse of the game, because it's money in their pockets, screw the average gamer, just pay us!

"God mode"? So you're saying when I decloak and point you, or when my buddies cyno in, that we're literally invulnerable? You cannot target us or return fire? We cannot be destroyed at all?

Are you mad or just deliberately being dishonest. Cloaks and cynos are not "god mode" or easy-wins, they're the only tools we have to work around the actual invulnerability that residents have as a result of local.

Honestly, your desperate tears about it not being able to be countered, being god mode, being abuse, etc are hilarious. They demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics, coupled with the attitude of a 5 year old. You're so so so bad at this game.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#833 - 2013-09-03 11:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Why do people think CCP even want an auto log off feature? It's obvious that the more they can show to be logged on, the better it is for them.
Think about it this way, at any one time there must be quite a few players AFK. Why do they think it makes good business sense to remove players from the server and reduce your average players numbers? And for what? So people can feel better that some uncertainty has been removed? The funny thing is, it wouldn't it would actually add more.

Those who ask for this tend to raise server load as a reason why, but yet fail to show the load from someone AFK to show why it's a problem.

Also auto log off is so easily countered without breaking the EULA, which is why I said uncertainty would actually increase.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#834 - 2013-09-03 11:25:51 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

"God mode"? So you're saying when I decloak and point you, or when my buddies cyno in, that we're literally invulnerable? You cannot target us or return fire? We cannot be destroyed at all?

Are you mad or just deliberately being dishonest. Cloaks and cynos are not "god mode" or easy-wins, they're the only tools we have to work around the actual invulnerability that residents have as a result of local.

Honestly, your desperate tears about it not being able to be countered, being god mode, being abuse, etc are hilarious. They demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of game mechanics, coupled with the attitude of a 5 year old. You're so so so bad at this game.
People who cry about this, tend to either be dishonest with their statements or just flat out don't understand the mechanics of the game. But when you point out these errors, they tend to get defensive and call you a troll.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#835 - 2013-09-03 13:51:11 UTC
Edwin McAlister wrote:

I am not comprehending the issue people have with cloaking in null sec, I have experienced cloaked scouts in wormholes, but they are usually in and out....

It is possible, in sov null mostly, to use local as an early warning system.

This works so well, that the actions of a hostile player are meaningless unless the evasive player makes a mistake.

The evasive player operates in a manner capable of warping on short notice, such as staying aligned, etc...
Local displays a neutral or hostile name in local chat's pilot roster. Evasive player hits warp, and is safed up before the would be attacker is capable of intervening.

The hostile, as evolved over time, is usually in a ship that has some cloaking ability. This allows it to remain in system, and numb the local alarm to their presence into uncertainty, based on the belief that the pilot could not be active after a certain point, and is probably AFK.

Evasive player sometimes takes risks after this time period, on the AFK belief. If the hostile is genuinely AFK, they are correct, and operate freely.
If the hostile returns to discover activity, they can attack.

That is the conflict here.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#836 - 2013-09-03 18:14:59 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
The size of this thread. o_O

The sheer numbers...

42 pages, 824 replies, 16195 views, 851 likes (that's an average of 1.0327669902912621359223300970874 likes per post... we need more likes, that number sucks.)

Given the number of views and the fact that only an average of about 2 new cloaking threads per week appear on the forums, I'd say we need stronger weaponry to blast repetitions of already existing afk cloaking threads out of the F&I Forum...

You mean like a sticky? P

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#837 - 2013-09-03 18:34:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

I say that if Bob intends to play, then he will do more than stare at local. I am sure that if all he wants to do is watch the client, boost in a pos, or collect communication logs, then it is not too much to ask him to click something like dscan every 30 minutes to avoid auto-logoff.

After having read the EULA several times there is nothing in violation if a player uses an automation process to do the above as it does not violate the EULA, namely this part:

Quote:
You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.

Are any items being acquired? No.
Any currency being acquired? No.
Any objects being acquired? No.
Any character attributes being acquired? No.
Any rank or status being acquired? No.

So, not a violation.

No one said that afk was a violation of the EULA or of botting.

Yes, they have and in this very thread. My point is that getting a macro program that double clicks in space every 15 minutes or whatever is not a violation of the EULA. So auto-log off is not going to work unless you make macros against the EULA in general. Amd how these things would be detected is another issue entirely since it could also look very much like a player who is doing work on another screen/computer and has a timer reminding him to double click in space to keep from logging off.

ETA:
I have the luxury of working from home, and the above could very well apply to me. Set up my phone with a 15 minute interval for reminders to keep me logged in while cloaked in a system could look very much like a bot to a simple diagnostic.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#838 - 2013-09-03 18:45:03 UTC
Edwin McAlister wrote:

Local is over powered. Here is how it works:

Bob is in XYZ-123 and is going to jump into 789-ABC. Roger is in 789-ABC. When Bob jumps, Roger will see Bob pop up in local while Bob is still looking at the new cool tunnel graphic for jumping. By the time Bob loads grid and is picking a belt to warp too, Roger should be safely nestled up against the POS in system totally invulnerable to Roger...unless Roger has a cap fleet on stand by and is going to RF the tower, then Hell camps the system for the duration of the RF period and does not get counter dropped.

To counter this aspet of local, many players AFK cloak in systems. There are at least two goals to this:

1. Asset/Resource denial via psy-warfare.
2. Creating a false sense of security by letting locals think you are AFK all the time thus it is safe to start doing things like ratting in expensive min-maxed ships.

So the claims of "we don't think players should be invulnerable" are a load of crap becuase they don't want to do anything to Roger.

The claims that you should be at your computer are crap becuase they don't want to do anything to players sitting in station or sitting at a POS while AFK.

Most of us who have hung in on this thread this long and don't want to change AFK cloaking by itself see it as a game balance issue: if you change AFK cloaking, then you leave an OP local with no counter. This is unbalancing. So, no changes unless you change both. That is change how local/intel works, and then change cloaks--e.g. make it so you can hunt them down.

Vas Eldryn
#839 - 2013-09-04 02:51:35 UTC
Mag's wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

People who cry about this, tend to either be dishonest with their statements or just flat out don't understand the mechanics of the game. But when you point out these errors, they tend to get defensive and call you a troll.

I don't have to get emotional or upset, nor is it being dishonest, nor to I have to call you a troll.

The fact has so many threads and posts mean many people like the system the way it is and many people dont

Thats what a forum is for, to voice opinion and discuss the topic... simply saying i dont understand the mechanics is childish
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#840 - 2013-09-04 05:23:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Azrael Dinn
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Actualy what he's saying is that your just a bunch of cowards who pray on the weak cause you aren't man enough to make a full frontal assaul like real men would do Twisted

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm