These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#781 - 2013-08-24 05:58:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
No one "AFK" can drop a cyno or open a jump of any kind. No one cloaked can do any of those things either...

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#782 - 2013-08-24 06:10:15 UTC
It'd be nice if a DEV could drop in and give their 2 cents on this. This topic comes up so often (and pollutes the forum so much) it deserves SOME kind of official response on the subject.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#783 - 2013-08-24 06:33:29 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
It'd be nice if a DEV could drop in and give their 2 cents on this. This topic comes up so often (and pollutes the forum so much) it deserves SOME kind of official response on the subject.

I'm still voting on killing the curent claoking system by any means Twisted
But yeah it realy would be nice to see a dev or two saying something about this in whole.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#784 - 2013-08-24 06:44:41 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

But yeah it realy would be nice to see a dev or two saying something about this in whole.

Yes game balance be damned. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#785 - 2013-08-24 07:07:12 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Azrael Dinn wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

Cloakers be damned but hey it's my opinion cause how ever you try to justify your own point of view there are the ones that just don't want to hear what you have to say so I'll say it that way. Of course I want a balance but I just don't want to argue about this anymore and that why "break cloaks tm" Smile

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#786 - 2013-08-24 07:29:36 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Azrael Dinn wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

Cloakers be damned but hey it's my opinion cause how ever you try to justify your own point of view there are the ones that just don't want to hear what you have to say so I'll say it that way. Of course I want a balance but I just don't want to argue about this anymore and that why "break cloaks tm" Smile

And so logic be damned too. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#787 - 2013-08-24 07:44:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Azrael Dinn
Teckos Pech wrote:

Oh no... lets say "break claoks tm" is the sum of all ideas that I have had and will have on the subject. I am willing to compromise but as the discussion is on a halt and all the angry, pointless and not willing to see any other points of views from cloakylovers are starting to get on my nerves I have seen it's just better to say "break cloaks tm" and thats it.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#788 - 2013-08-24 07:56:05 UTC
I think a compromise is in order. Remove local and add fuel bay and fuel to cloaking. Add an expensive destructible sov module that can be deployed to enable local again with a limit of one or two per constellation, and a 5 second delay each jump away from the module.

My corp is an AFK cloaking corp, this would both benefit and harm my corporation but I think as a whole would add more tactical options to null.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#789 - 2013-08-24 11:27:40 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
Andy Landen wrote:

You can say that you aren't after easy targets all you want, but when you say
~ snip ~
we must assume that you are talking about easy targets again. So yes, YOU ARE after "easy" targets

You either deliberately took that quote out of context to try and prove your point, which is massively disingenuous or your reading comprehension is terrible and you should work on that. The point I was demonstrating with that quote was that anyone - PVEr or PVPer - can abuse local to avoid fights they do not wish to be in, and of course the best example of a fight that neither a PVE or PVP player wants to be in is one in which they are outgunned. To take that and twist it into "see see! You do want easy targets!" is just silly.

Andy Landen wrote:
As for me wanting hard targets, all I meant was a preference for engaging pvp ships and fleets that are more than interested in engaging me in combat instead of trying so hard to catch the easy-to kill, low-risk-to-my-side-loosing-much-if-anything pve targets. Preventing a cloak from being online while a cyno is online, or allowing mobile grid-wide cyno jammers still allows me to engage pvp ships which want to fight me.

So what you're saying is you want to remove playstyles you don't like (someone who cynos in buddies to help kill things) so only playstyles you do like (people fighting without cynoing in buddies) are left. Sorry mate that's not how a sandbox works. No matter how you cut it, you want to reduce the freedom and options available in eve so that only things *you* want are left, regardless of the balance issues.

Andy Landen wrote:
Added:
Whining about not being able to catch "the local ratter." Let everyone note, that the covetous greed to gank the high value pve asset stops at nothing, including attacks on local. Find the targets that want to engage you. Give people a good reason to want to fight you and they will come .. in their pvp ships .. or does that scare you too much? .. just asking. Are you a pvper? Or just a whiner that can't figure out how to attack their sov, their supply lines, their jump bridge network, etc. in such a way as to get them to WANT to fight you?

You can try and smear us by crying "whining" and "greed" and whatever other childish insults you can come up with, but it's a matter of balance. Ships in nullsec - regardless of whether they're PVE or PVP ships - should not be granted the safety they are by local. If they were putting in effort and working to attain that level of safety, and it was something another player could potentially affect, then that's great. But it isn't right now.

The only reason you keep trying to differentiate between PVE and PVP ships when what I'm talking about applies equally to everyone is because you are desperate to characterise me as only picking on poor weak PVE ships, to paint me as a coward, or greedy or whatever else. It's not working bro. And the comments about making them "want to fight" is idiotic - pvp is not consensual in EVE, I don't have to make them "want" to fight me. Do you understand how the sandbox works at all, mate? And who are you to say which ways I can/should interfere with an enemy? I can do whatever I want, I'm not limited to only the methods you approve.

Andy Landen wrote:
When you look at who is really whining, it is the player who says, "They won't fight me and I don't know how to attack anything of value to make them want to fight me. Waa. They just warp away all the time. Waa." I hope you get the point. You want fights? Then figure out what to do to get people to come out and challenge what you are doing! Maybe propose to CCP for more benefits to sov that need defending. Cuz if it needs defending, they people want to fight you.

Oh believe me, I understand your point. Your point is "I have to desperately mischaracterise these players as greedy cowards! And then drivel on about consensual only pvp!". That's your point, right? Cos I'm not seeing you understand the actual issues or argue them in a comprehensible way.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#790 - 2013-08-24 11:43:13 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
No matter how much this is said, AFK cloaking is NOT the result of local, but instead is the result of being able to hotdrop people who take the risk that the cloaker is afk.

Both hotdropping and prolonged cloaking are direct results of local. Those tactics exist as a means to deal with the fact that local grants such powerful intel that someone currently in system can evade someone else who enters system very very easily. Why would people bother cloaking or hotdropping if they had other means to potentially catch people?

Andy Landen wrote:
Local is the only reason that people move to null sec to use their pve assets.

If this is true, then it's an extremely sad state of affairs. You're admitting that the only reason people pve in null is because of extremely high levels of safety afforded by local. Not because of the increased rewards, not because of the challenge, not because they just want to live in that area, but because they know how safe it is. That is depressing, and it also reinforces my point: Cynos and cloaking are used the way they are as the last, desperate attempt to get around the ridiculous level of safety local provides.
Xionyxa
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#791 - 2013-08-24 11:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Xionyxa
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Xionyxa wrote:
And delaying or removing local stops people from camping systems how.................

Obvious.
Camping is caused by two factors, the need, and the availability, both created by Local.

I'm not sure we play the same game Nikk, I see heaps of "reds" around the system I work in doing fleet roams, gate camps, baiting, hot dropping and even some POS bashing. We engage them, sometimes we lose ships, sometimes they lose ships. We engage because it's part of defending our systems.

Our systems are locked down reasonably tight, we have good defence, but it's far from perfect, for it to be perfect we would need every neutral and blue in system to be engaged in PvP opps against the "reds" 100% of the time. Having PvE and mining in sov space stops this situation and allows reds to operate, though with a fair bit of risk, as pvp should be.

A very small percentage of "reds" engage in camping operations, for them, we just empty the system of all PvE/mining and give them zero targets, they usually give up after a few days.

Cloaky camping isn't caused by local, it's somewhat used as a tactic because local and all the other intel tools we use are pretty strong, but then again part of operating in null sec is knowing what the "reds" are up to.

Cloaky camping is more a direct result of cloaks at safe points being such a strong tool, think about it, a cloak at a safe spot is the only 100% safe option for anyone in sov space, including the sov holders themselves. Think about it, I can cloak up, every POS in my system can be destroyed, sov can change hands, I can be locked out of the station and me and my ship will still be 100% safe.

Local only says I've got some possible hot dropper in system (who I have set as red), intel channels say if he is camping or not, killboards show me what he is flying and what he likes to kill as well as the hot dropping fleet he uses and I choose not to engage, work somewhere else, another system, high sec or play another game. I guess you are kind of right on one point though, nerfing or getting rid of local altogether will stop camping from being such a problem because it would empty null sec of all but the most hard core PvPers.

My fix would be an opt in thing, an system upgrade as part of the sovereignty infrastructure. This device would turn off local channel and replace it with a system sov comms channel. Players of good standing (blue NBSI or not red (NRDS) would see a list of all friendlies in system. However for non friendlies would be blocked both ways from it, showing only as a "unknown hostile" in the list.

The device would lock onto the signature of hostile ships that stay in the system and present them as a warp to point for friendlies in the system but only after an 90 minutes of the person occupying the system even if the unfriendly is cloaked. Also if the unfriendly logs off in the system the timer is simply put on hold, not reset.

Why a sov upgrade, cloaky camping only really affects sov space so having it as an upgrade will have zero effect on cloaking elsewhere. Why 90 minutes, it's heaps of time for active players to do what they want to do, if they want longer, all they need to do is exit and re-enter the system and if they really need to go afk, they can still log off, although the tactic of logging off and on like a crazy person every 15 minutes is diminished.

"Reds" get there identity masked in local, people who do non PvP operations in sov space no longer get campers and can still see danger, however need to more than just look at local to identify the threat and people who are happy with things the way they are don't need to "opt in" and buy the upgrade.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#792 - 2013-08-25 01:50:37 UTC
Xionyxa wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Xionyxa wrote:
And delaying or removing local stops people from camping systems how.................

Obvious.
Camping is caused by two factors, the need, and the availability, both created by Local.

I'm not sure we play the same game Nikk, I see heaps of "reds" around the system I work in doing fleet roams, gate camps, baiting, hot dropping and even some POS bashing. We engage them, sometimes we lose ships, sometimes they lose ships. We engage because it's part of defending our systems.

Cloaky camping is more a direct result of cloaks at safe points being such a strong tool, think about it, a cloak at a safe spot is the only 100% safe option for anyone in sov space, including the sov holders themselves. Think about it, I can cloak up, every POS in my system can be destroyed, sov can change hands, I can be locked out of the station and me and my ship will still be 100% safe.

Your premise seems to be that cloaked camping is an attempt to be safe from attack. Suggesting that it's primary purpose is safety, not desensitizing a potential target to their presence.

Your view is skewed, and it can be easily pointed out.

To be safe, and with less effort, one can simply stay docked at a home system. One then has access to markets, and no concerns over being decloaked by accident, or needing to travel through hostile gate camps, all vanish. That commute to work was awful, wasn't it?

So, safety is not logical as a motive here. It is more practical and easier to be safe in other areas than hostile sov space.

So, why are they there, what is the goal, if it is not safety, as you hypothesized.

Well, what are they trying to do? Kill targets. I think most players agree that an AFK Cloaker is a threat of violent destruction, in order to be a deterrent to activity. Noone avoids them fearing aggressive insurance sales pitches.

What do they need to do, in order to kill targets in sov null?
Expecting a target to make an error within the first 30 minutes of your arrival, is a delightful fantasy. It is, however, improbable to the point of being a very foolish strategy to attempt.

Local warned the target when you arrived, and the expectation that you ceased to be a threat immediately after is negligible.
So, you have to remain, and make the target so used to seeing you, that they stop reacting to you this way. At a certain point, they consider it more and more likely that this threat is not paying attention, and can be quietly avoided.

But, to get to this point, where a subject thinks you are shifted from activity to inactivity, it is vital that you are neither observed or removed.

Thus, the cloak is the means to the end.
If the pilot can achieve the same results by other means, then they will be used as well.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#793 - 2013-08-25 04:53:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Azrael Dinn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Oh no... lets say "break claoks tm" is the sum of all ideas that I have had and will have on the subject. I am willing to compromise but as the discussion is on a halt and all the angry, pointless and not willing to see any other points of views from cloakylovers are starting to get on my nerves I have seen it's just better to say "break cloaks tm" and thats it.

I'm fine with changing cloaks...so long as we change local so it is not the instant intel mechanic it currently is. Something so that pilots engaged in PvE are not safe except for pilot error or bad luck. Right now, I'd say an AFK auto piloting freighter going through Uedama is at greater risk than a vigilant and experienced null sec pilot ratting away...and that strikes me as silly.

Or how about this, we nerf cloaks and we nerf null sec so that ratting is no better than running level 4s and mining is as bad as high sec? No more officer spawns, no more exploration, no nothing that generates more isk/hour than grinding out crappy missions in a major mission hub. Same goes for various NPC space as well. No more spiffy BPCs, or juicy loyalty store goodies...at least nothing better than what you get in empire?

If you want to be that safe, then you can get exactly the same rewards.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#794 - 2013-08-25 15:47:17 UTC
Bump....and engage cloak....

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#795 - 2013-08-26 06:53:43 UTC
Bump

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#796 - 2013-08-26 18:46:08 UTC
Here we are in space, at long last.

Still no little green aliens though....
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#797 - 2013-08-26 23:25:46 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Here we are in space, at long last.

Still no little green aliens though....

Grey....

[/Fox Mulder Mode]

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#798 - 2013-08-26 23:55:47 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Because having the idea listed in the dev-post that is stickied at the top of the forum isn't good enough?

Haters gonna hate

Illiterates going to illiterate
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#799 - 2013-08-27 21:40:18 UTC
Anti-anti-cloaking measures deployed....

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#800 - 2013-08-28 08:47:04 UTC
bump

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.